Evangelion 4.0, do you really want an alternate ending?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
trkk-KAAN
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:58 pm

maybe it should end like Re-Take

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:21 pm

View Original Posttrkk-KAAN wrote:maybe it should end like Re-Take
But Re-Take ends like Re-Take. Anno isn't and shouldn't be making something like Re-Take.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:30 pm

View Original Posttrkk-KAAN wrote:maybe it should end like Re-Take
NNNNEEEEVVVVEEEERRRR

I will fly to Japan and cut Anno if he even contemplates doing that.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 pm

I think Rebuild should have some sort of new ending. Otherwise, we might as well just watch EoE again. Since Anno is a different person now, I think it's inevitable that the story will change. I'm excited to see what he comes up with.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm

I'd expect nothing less than a new ending. Why do what you've already done when you can create something new?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 am

They should end it like Inception. Everything seems to becoming together, and then in the last 15-30 seconds they drop a big bomb that makes you leave the theater with questions not about the content of the film, but sort of moral questions. Although I guess in a way, EoE already does that. :tongue:

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Like i Said, it should end like Cowboy Bebop, and it would get better ratings, it should have Shinji after he won a battle with the angels and saved the world, and Shinji would come down the stairs injured, and then he makes a pistol and says bang and then collapses, and they should have the camera zooming out his dead body and move it to the sky. it would have better respect than the original ending or the EoE ending

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Whatever the ending is, it should be quietly understated and satisfying -- as much as that is possible when Japan doesn't into endings.

The image that came into my mind when pondering this was an older -- late teens -- Shinji, just sitting by the shore, gazing out over the dark blue waters, and looking happy. Perhaps lead up to it by cutting from whatever the action ends as, to showing him walking silhouetted against the sun's glare, and sitting down -- indicating time has passed and all's well with the world.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

View Original Posttrkk-KAAN wrote:Like i Said, it should end like Cowboy Bebop, and it would get better ratings, it should have Shinji after he won a battle with the angels and saved the world, and Shinji would come down the stairs injured, and then he makes a pistol and says bang and then collapses, and they should have the camera zooming out his dead body and move it to the sky. it would have better respect than the original ending or the EoE ending

So blatantly plagiarizing another anime's ending makes it better, and how is it more respectful? There are such things as subtle nods to other sources, but blatantly ripping off is another thing.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:16 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The image that came into my mind

I would LOVE an ending like this. (Although I'm slightly surprised to hear something so optimistic from you. :lol: )

Satisfying ("happy" or otherwise) ending or not, showing the ocean waters going from red to blue again is a wonderful subtle hint that life returned to normal again (and continues with the contrast from NGE/EoE to NME). I liked that idea for awhile now.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:43 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm slightly surprised to hear something so optimistic from you.
That's because this is not End of Evangelion that we're talking about.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm

or it should just end with Shinji dying. you guys can pick how he should die.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 pm

I want something I can't imagine.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:49 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Whatever the ending is, it should be quietly understated and satisfying -- as much as that is possible when Japan doesn't into endings.

The image that came into my mind when pondering this was an older -- late teens -- Shinji, just sitting by the shore, gazing out over the dark blue waters, and looking happy. Perhaps lead up to it by cutting from whatever the action ends as, to showing him walking silhouetted against the sun's glare, and sitting down -- indicating time has passed and all's well with the world.

I like the flash-forward idea, but I see it more bleakly. He's standing on that beach next to the kid he had with Asuka/Rei (Mari?) just being a complete dick. "WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE, I WAS SAVING THE WORLD! WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE, HUH? YOU CAN WALK HOME!"

He gets in his car, drives home, sits in front of his desk... and crosses his hand over his face.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN!

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:09 pm

How about he's at the hospital, after Rei gives birth to his child. Asuka shows up to give him the news that the baby has suffered defects only a baby conceived by incest can suffer, and simply says to him, "You blew your chance, baka." Throw in her kissing Mari if you want. :3

Silioni
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Silioni » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I'd preffer a slightly, just slightly more down to earth ending than the WTF-UFO ending we got in End of Eva.

With 5 buckets less of crazysauce. Shinji returning from a psycho mushroom trip is not a satisfying ending, also the original story didn't get wrapped up at all,. We get left with people popping like balloons, then they suddenly didn't, and who is gona clean up all that giant naked Rei, I'm just frustrated about WTF endings that aim more to confuse the audience than finish telling a fking story.
What is this? I don't even.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:How about he's at the hospital, after Rei gives birth to his child...

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:18 pm

^ Someone's been to Fukushima...:lol:

I'll get my coat.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 pm

^ I suppose she could always adopt.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Shinji: "So that's the REAL reason you wouldn't fight Sachiel! You were faking all that pain!"
Rei: "I fake a lot of things."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”