Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:55 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:
I will also note that:
Shut up and let me
kill you, Brat Shinji!
--was also utilized for the international film festival submission version of Eva 3.0, which was a translation that I was responsible as well.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards,
Dan Kanemitsu

Well there it is! I KNEW it. Even my theory about some degree of intentional ambuity was confirmed.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Heh, that reminds me of the insane degree of opposition there used to be against "shut up and die gaki Shinji" back when the camsubs were all we had
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:21 pm

It might be necessary to have a thread just to discuss a possible delay.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:51 pm

I don't know if I would laugh or cry at such news. Anyway, if it is for the good of people, there is nothing we can do about it. It is better to delay the movie. Let's see how Covid plays out in Japan...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:52 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostZusuchan#904816 wrote:Asuka was most definitely not the "voice of reason" in EoE and Shinji was most definitely not engaging in escapism there either.

I always saw the entire first half of The End of Evangelion as the tale of how Shinji wanted to escape from reality by using Asuka to achieve that. When he confronts her in his "fever dream", right before the Third Impact, he states that he wants to help and stay with her forever. But Asuka can see through his lies and doesn't want to just be used as a mere emotional crutch, a "doll".
Likewise, during the "train sequence" later on, when Asuka says that she wants all of Shinji or nothing at all, he reacts violently. He doesn't want to consider her as a human being with her own needs. Shinji is quite literally objectifying Asuka throughout the entire story (as we can clearly see in the hospital scene, for example). He wants her to love him unconditionally, in a very unrealistic fashion.
Now, about 3.0, I actually agree with you guys. She, and the rest of the Misato crew, could have done more to explain the situation to Shinji.

She wasn't innocent either : during the hallucination Shinji replicates Asuka telling that is impossible to understand her if she doesn't says him anything. From the beginning was a problem from two directions.

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I hope you're not talking about the original lyrics for EYED. :shifty:

SPOILER: Show
CHORUS: What did you do to that girl?
CHORUS: What did you want to do to her?
I wanted to kiss her.
But I was hurt.
She brought pain to my heart.
Even so,
I hurt that girl's heart, as well.
I inflicted the greatest hurt upon her.
I hurt her with kindness.
CHORUS: Did hurting her bring you sorrow?
CHORUS: Did hurting her bring you pain?

No.
Hurting her gave me pleasure.
Hurting her gave me delight.
Because she wouldn't accept me.
I don't even accept myself.
I haven't since I felt the pain in my heart.
CHORUS: If that's so, why do you live?
If only I would die.

CHORUS: Die. Die. Die. Die.

Why am I still living?
Because I'm still alive.
But that girl hasn't met me.
I want to meet her, but I don't.
The strength to meet her isn't there.
I've been hurt more often than I hurt others, but I'm not accepted.
This is my punishment.

Death will not become my redemption.

For the sake of my redemption, I live.
CHORUS: You go on living, but you don't care.
CHORUS: Selfishly, you go on living, but you don't care.
But how do you intend to make up for everything?

...I don't understand.

Depressed Anno was ascended.

My god, it couldn't be more explicit. It's like an instruction manual for the movie.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:05 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:She wasn't innocent either : during the hallucination Shinji replicates Asuka telling that is impossible to understand her if she doesn't says him anything. From the beginning was a problem from two directions.

I've never said that Asuka wasn't a problematic person herself. In fact, I even wrote that she matured during the events of The End of Evangelion, acknowledging that she had a lot of room for improvement since the beginning. I also pointed out the original version of "Everything You've Ever Dreamed For" as a good description of her relationship with Shinji (implying that she wasn't perfect and capable of hurting him as well).
From the beginning, I meant that, in this specific scene (the kitchen hallucination one), she broke Shinji's unrealistic expectations and acted as a call to reality for him. Not indisputable and perfect, but one that opposes the false and unreasonable nature of his idealized version of "unconditional love".
I have nothing else to add.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:15 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostJäeger#904919 wrote:She wasn't innocent either : during the hallucination Shinji replicates Asuka telling that is impossible to understand her if she doesn't says him anything. From the beginning was a problem from two directions.

I've never said that Asuka wasn't a problematic person herself. In fact, I even wrote that she matured during the events of The End of Evangelion. I also pointed out the original version of "Everything You've Ever Dreamed For" as a good description of her relationship with Shinji (implying that she wasn't perfect and capable of hurting Shinji as well).
From the beginning, I meant that, in this specific scene (the kitchen hallucination one), she broke Shinji's unrealistic expectations and acted as a call to reality for him. Not indisputable and perfect, but one that opposes the false and unreasonable nature of his idealized version of "unconditional love".
I have nothing else to add.

Shinji and Asuka are both teenagers with serious problems and raised in the post apocalyptic world, the ending of EOE shows us that both have started to grow and maybe even start to really understand each other and understand what it really means to have the strength to be able to continue in person even if this can hurt...

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:36 am

If anyone wants to continue this particular discussion, I suggest making a new thread for it, because this is getting way too off-topic.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:57 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam#904523 wrote:Fellas, I just rewatched the last two episodes of Nadia in case I found something and almost had a heart attack:
I have a baaad feeling about this.

If Shinji is Jean & Gendo is Gargoyle it means that Shinji has shot his father ... I understand that this sounds like a real madness but nothing of this film seems really obvious after such a trailer ...
Does anyone have any theories about the images seen in the trailer that seem to be just a sort of quote to Nadia ...
Shinji will almost certainly not shoot his father unlike Jean who had tried to kill Gargoyle, but something serious between father and son will most likely happen although surely the image that Shinji determined and that of Gendo revealing a hole in the visor in the movie will be separated from some others scenes of 5 minutes or more.Some people have speculated that the 4 Adams and the SEELE may actually have a role similar to those of the Atlantean aliens present in Nadia. Therefore Nebuchadnezzar's Key could have a role similar to that of Nadia's jewel (the Blue Water). .

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:05 pm

Reichu has addressed it in some of her big theory threads.
This is arguably the main one, but it also shows up here and I think also in one of the later posts here
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:13 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Reichu has addressed it in some of her big theory threads.
This is arguably the main one, but it also shows up here and I think also in one of the later posts here
Thanks for reminding me .. 21 days to movie's release ... 9 very long years guys, it was time to close it once and for all.

A Renegade Deserter
Adam
Location: Back from exile to infiltrate and combat my mortal enemy

•      
  •      

Postby A Renegade Deserter » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:26 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Thanks for reminding me .. 21 days to movie's release ... 9 very long years guys, it was time to close it once and for all.

Technically 8 Years and 2 Months. Otherwise 3.0+1.0 needs to be released around November 2021. Then it's 9 Years. I would still win in waiting for 3.0+1.0 for the rest of my life.
"To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless."
- Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

"There is no difference between what is right and what is necessary."

"We cannot escape anguish. It is what we are."

"Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost."

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:01 pm

View Original PostA Renegade Deserter wrote:Technically 8 Years and 2 Months. Otherwise 3.0+1.0 needs to be released around November 2021. Then it's 9 Years. I would still win in waiting for 3.0+1.0 for the rest of my life.
The movie it was supposed to be released in 2015, too bad Anno got depressed and then decided to make Shin Godzilla in 2016. The film was supposed to be released in 2018 but then we all know how it went :um:

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:29 pm

View Original PostA Renegade Deserter#904967 wrote:Technically 8 Years and 2 Months. Otherwise 3.0+1.0 needs to be released around November 2021. Then it's 9 Years. I would still win in waiting for 3.0+1.0 for the rest of my life.
The movie it was supposed to be released in 2015, too bad Anno got depressed and then decided to make Shin Godzilla in 2016. The film was supposed to be released in 2018 but then we all know how it went :um:

Actually, the only date given was 2013 before 3.0 came out. Right after it's release, the date disappeared. People just assumed 2015 because of NGE taking place in 2015, but the date was never given, and I have no idea where you got 2018 from.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

A Renegade Deserter
Adam
Location: Back from exile to infiltrate and combat my mortal enemy

•      
  •      

Postby A Renegade Deserter » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:41 pm

View Original PostA Renegade Deserter#904967 wrote:Technically 8 Years and 2 Months. Otherwise 3.0+1.0 needs to be released around November 2021. Then it's 9 Years. I would still win in waiting for 3.0+1.0 for the rest of my life.

2014 Durring the International Film Festival in Tokio, Anno said he wanted to do something else before making Final and that it would be 4-6 years after Q. That thing about a release in 2015 was only out from rumors, cause Anno begun filming Godzilla Resurgence.

For these 8 years I don't feel less young and I became only more hardened and knowng. The 2020s have just begun and what resulted out from the 2010s are very much there.

When Final gets released and in later theatrical runs being shown together with Q in the 3.333 cut, then it won't be different as back then when Q came out if Final were released together with Q around that time. The hype would still be killed by the films themselves and polarization and division would still happen.

False hopes get punished by Eva.
"To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless."

"There is no difference between what is right and what is necessary."

"We cannot escape anguish. It is what we are."

"Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost."

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:42 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostFXArmaros98#904969 wrote:The movie it was supposed to be released in 2015, too bad Anno got depressed and then decided to make Shin Godzilla in 2016. The film was supposed to be released in 2018 but then we all know how it went :um:

People just assumed 2015 because of NGE taking place in 2015, but the date was never given, and I have no idea where you got 2018 from.

From what I read the date of 2015 had been said by Anime News Network, while that of 2018 by Anno himself in an interview on Youtube in 2017 I remeber that it was a video for the 10 years of Khara or something like that.I realize that I derailed this thread again into something that has nothing to do with the trailer :facepalm: .. It's been days that I or someone else makes a comment that prompts other forum members to talk about something that isn't the main topic of this thread (:| Sorry guys, please drop this date thing.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:42 pm

View Original Posthui43210#904970 wrote: People just assumed 2015 because of NGE taking place in 2015, but the date was never given, and I have no idea where you got 2018 from.

From what I read the date of 2015 had been said by Anime News Network, while that of 2018 by Anno himself in an interview on Youtube in 2017 I remeber that it was a video for the 10 years of Khara or something like that.I realize that I derailed this thread again into something that has nothing to do with the trailer :facepalm: .. It's been days that I or someone else makes a comment that prompts other forum members to talk about something that isn't the main topic of this thread (:| Sorry guys, please drop this date thing.

Original release plan (2006) :
1.0 - 2007
2.0- 2008
3.0/3.0+1.0 (they were created to be one movie) - 2009

OFFICIAL RELEASE
1.0 - 1 September 2007
2.0 - 27 June 2009
3.0- 12 november 2012
3.0+1.0- 23 January 2021 (MAYBE)
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:52 pm

View Original Posthui43210#904970 wrote: People just assumed 2015 because of NGE taking place in 2015, but the date was never given, and I have no idea where you got 2018 from.

From what I read the date of 2015 had been said by Anime News Network, while that of 2018 by Anno himself in an interview on Youtube in 2017

The ANN thing was based on some rando assumption by Utadas agent but he even mentioned he didn't know, and that Youtube thing must have been the usual twisting of facts that Youtubers do as Anno never said that. The first poster came out in 2017, so someone jumped to the conclusion that it was coming the next year and was fishing for hits.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:55 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:
View Original PostFXArmaros98#904972 wrote: 3.0+1.0- 23 January 2021 (MAYBE)
Damn that MAYBE is really worrying (:| ... Jesus, so far I have not read any troubling rumors or news related to a possible announcement by the Khara .. Hope that tomorrow from Interent we will not receive the coup de grace.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 pm

As far as I'm concerned, 1.0 was always supposed to release on 2007, but it was pushed from its original summer release date to fall of the same year. 2.0 was originally going to be launched in 2008, but it was delayed to summer of 2009. Finally, 3.0 and Evangelion Final, which were supposed to be released simultaneously, end up with a eight year gap between them, from the end of 2012 to the beginning of 2021.
In 2012, what we now know as "3.0 + 1.0", was briefly listed on Khara's website for a 2013 release. After that, in the August 2013 issue of OtonaFami, a winter 2015 launch was discussed instead. But, because of Anno's other commitments, it was delayed to an unknown date. After that, we all know what happened.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”