Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
boyfrand
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby boyfrand » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi! Using an old account from forever ago, never was very active though.

I’m wondering how much of this trailer, and the other trailers, contain scenes from a possible flashback from Asuka’s point of view. I think Shinji would ask her about the past while they’re walking to wherever, or Rei might ask about the old Rei. I think it’s interesting that there’s the potential to get the background on what happened during the timeskip from Asuka’s point of view. The scenes of Asuka and Mari in the white plugsuits could be flashbacks about their role in stopping Third Impact? The scene of someone’s bow being tied could be Asuka explaining to Q!Rei what Rei’s relationship with Shinji was like from Asuka’s perspective (like thinking Shinji and Rei were intimate than they really were).

Hyuga and Aoba are alone. What if they betrayed Wille and are the crew for NeoNerv’s ship?

Maybe no one or Rei is piloting Unit 01 and Shinji is in 13 again. Possibly Wille and the Wunder won against Nerv, and Unit 01/Yui chose to not break out of the Wunder until Gendo was defeated for whatever reason. Would Anno have Shinji fight his mom in an over-the-top display of teen angst?

I hope Shinji’s eyes turning purple doesn’t give Unit 01 being purple retroactive significance or meaning in a cheesy way.

I’m not very committed to these thoughts about the trailer because the movie is coming soon (or, the spoilers are coming soon). So please be nice if you are ripping any of them apart :D

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:39 pm

I actually thought that the whole "Asuka's perspective" idea was a pretty good one! It would be a great way to shine some light in her past while also creating fun scenarios between the three main characters.
I personally believe that there will be a great emphasis on their "walk" at the beginning of the movie. Shinji's interactions with Asuka could be really important to the way he will be behaving throughout the whole movie (bringing him back to reality somehow)!
If that's not the case, maybe Shikinami could try to wake him up, fail and then retrieve him to base. While there, they could have a final conversation (before her final mission with Mari) and Shinji would finally understand the nature of the situation and realize that he can't keep running away from his problems.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:42 pm

View Original Postboyfrand wrote:.

Maybe no one or Rei is piloting Unit 01 and Shinji is in 13 again. Possibly Wille and the Wunder won against Nerv, and Unit 01/Yui chose to not break out of the Wunder until Gendo was defeated for whatever reason. Would Anno have Shinji fight his mom in an over-the-top display of teen angst?

I hope Shinji’s eyes turning purple doesn’t give Unit 01 being purple retroactive significance or meaning in a cheesy way.

I’m not very committed to these thoughts about the trailer because the movie is coming soon (or, the spoilers are coming soon). So please be nice if you are ripping any of them apart :D

Your theory that Eva 01 is controlled by Yui and Rei while Eva 13 is controlled by Shinji is very interesting and it would be an incredible twist ... But I feel that Eva 01 is controlled by Shinji unless the trailer lies like the previews did ... Shinji's purple eyes you say ... could be a power that would save everything and everyone but also the revelation of Shinji's true identity in Rebuild ... Kaworu's Japanese voice actor had said that Anno himself had given him a letter stating who Kaworu and Shinji really are in the Rebuild saga so I expect a surprise from Shinji's purple eyes, I hope they're not a troll photogram ...

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:04 pm

View Original Postboyfrand wrote:The scene of someone’s bow being tied could be Asuka explaining to Q!Rei what Rei’s relationship with Shinji was like from Asuka’s perspective (like thinking Shinji and Rei were intimate than they really were).

That “someone” I think is Shinji, due the skin tone. Asuka seems to have a lighter skin tone.

boyfrand wrote:Hyuga and Aoba are alone. What if they betrayed Wille and are the crew for NeoNerv’s ship?

In my point of view that's impossible. Hyuga is tying that armband on Aoba's arm. We don't know the real meaning that armband, but I believe it's loyalty or homage to someone, Kaji maybe?
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:46 pm

https://youtu.be/cWIVAJ2vW04

GoatJesus just made a video about the trailer. Some things he brought up that weren't mentioned previously (didn't read the last few pages though so I could be wrong) :

- Shinji is actually fighting 2.0 Kaworu before the timeskip. He justifies this with the lightning not matching the "generic" background, and that is misleading the viewer. Like we did mention before,
3.0's trailers were extremely misleading. Also, that the coffins are indeed multiple Kaworus.

- Misato doesn't actually get shot, and that her armband is some sort of keepsake of an old wound.

- Shinji won't pilot at all in the next movie.

- Fuyutsuki is shooting Gendo, or at least it'd be cool if it was him.

- The song is Anno's own goodbye to the franchise, considering his plans to leave it open for new creators in the future, and the movie might end with Rei sacrificing herself.

- He mentioned Young Asuka could simply be in Antarctica where it's still cold or in some sort of cold chamber (??) in the past.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:52 pm

Fuyutsuki shooting Gendo, young Asuka being a flashback and maybe Misato not actually getting shot at all are the only one of those that in my opinion make any sort of sense. "The trailer for Q was also misleading" is a complete non-argument just because of how the film was made, and how many production delays there were (obviously not as bad as Shin, but still a large amount of significant script rewrites).

"Shinji not piloting at all" and anything that involves "but what if timeskip back to 2.0" is complete and utter bullshit, and I dread the amount of people who will just take it at face value just because some guy on youtube with decent production value said it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:52 pm

Sounds whack.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:54 pm

Sounds whack but also based.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:00 pm

I refer you to my blatant fanwank comments on that video - you'll find them, the username is pretty much the same.

Short version - "Thrice upon a time" could be 3 interwoven narratives: the pre-second impact of world of young Asuka, some events between 2.0 and 3.0 and finally the "present day" story. This explains the inconsistent character designs, the derpy 13 vs 1 battle, the fact that Shinji has gone from catatonic to determined (because it's an *earlier* Shinji) and thanks to the earliest narrative might finally give some backstory to Mari because I still think she was there working with Yui, Fuyutski Gendo and Asuka's mom. The manga bonus chapter is canon I tells ya!

There could be some common theme revolving around the fact that Shinji, Asuka, Rei and maybe even Mari and have been present and together in all three narratives. You might have to assume that Yui = Rei in the Rebuild pre-history narrative.

Also if the "Misato's blood-stained armband is a keepsake" idea is true, we might get Kaji's fate as part of the 2.0 to 3.0 bridging narrative. And if we're *really* lucky we might get the Gendo, Fuyu and Donkey Mountain Bro-Ventures that explain the creation of Neo-Nerv.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:36 pm

GoatJesus is desperately trying to find sensational things to say about Shin Eva while he still has a chance. Once the film is released, he won't be able to make any wild claims anymore. Which, I get. You gotta stick while the iron is hot. If I centered my YT channel around reaction channel content, I would totally milk the hell outta this trailer. (I'm more of a "So, you had strong feelings after watching a film, huh?" kinda guy.)

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:51 pm

This is less "reaction" and more "hot take". It's a bit more than "Woah dude! Eva's fighting and stuff!"

A reaction video on youtube tends to be some gormless idiot pretending to be over-the-top excited about the latest thing they arent really interested in but guarantees decent viewing figures. Or a way to show entire episodes of Dragonball Super and bleat about sitting there watching it barely emoting and/or talking about it for a minute afterwards being "fair use" and "transformative".

I have a low opinion of most (but not all) reaction channels. Bunch of talentless hacks who fully engage with the "it doesnt matter what it is as long as it's content" ethos of Youtube these days.

But I digress, regardless of the ideas GJ put in that vid, it's got me back in the mood for Eva speculation again.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:04 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Or a way to show entire episodes of Dragonball Super and bleat about sitting there watching it barely emoting and/or talking about it for a minute afterwards being "fair use" and "transformative".

Oh man, your post made me go back to 2017, when I would sit and go through some of these videos just to see the cringe theories those guys would come up with while watching the episode hahahahahahahaha
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

writer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:08 pm

I did notice something while watching the GJ video, specifically the shot of Sakura:

SPOILER: Show

This scene represents someone waking up on a bed, and directly references Shinji's "birth" from Eva01's juices at the beginning of 3.0. Could this be the birth of a new Shinji?

To put a timeline on this:
Asuka, Rei, and Shinji are walking through the wasteland
Shinji sits down to pout (per Peaceful Times)
Asuka puts foot to head, pushes him down and continues walking
ReiQ brings Shinji back and they proceed toward NeoNerv HQ
Asuka arrives back at WILLE HQ with no Shinji or Rei
Misato decides to generate a new Shinji so that they can ask him to pilot Eva01
Tells him the truth about everything this time and lets him decide on his actions

Perhaps Eva13 vs Eva01 is actually...Shinji vs Shinji?!
One who is ignorant and pushed to the brink of insanity, another who is embraced and pushed to the brink of greatness?!
Last edited by writer on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinji did nothing wrong!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:13 pm

Yeah I pointed that shot of Sakura out too, and how it's interesting that in 3.0 there was a screen between them, which isn't the case here (if the POV character is Shinji).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:26 pm

That could actually be kinda cool, but I have one question. Why would Asuka just walk away? I mean, I can see her getting annoyed by Shinji's childish behavior. But just walk away? I don't know if she would do that. Especially considering that she knows how much trouble he can create. I think that taking him back to Wille's headquarters is a major priority right now.
Anyways, if that happened I would feel so bad for "3.0 Shinji"...

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 pm

What if the unit 01 vs unit 13 battle is Shinji vs Shinji?!

If time travel and such happens.

What if Shinji is facing himself?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:50 pm

Plot twist: All of the shots in the Shin Eva trailer that mirror Eva Q is really just footage from Evangelion 3.333.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:50 pm

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:What if the unit 01 vs unit 13 battle is Shinji vs Shinji?!

If time travel and such happens.

What if Shinji is facing himself?

Like as in if he kills himself he erases everything he’s done and everyone can live and be happy....while he stays stone cold fucking dead lol

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:24 pm

I love how some people just jump into conclusion that having shots that mirror ones from previous entries are a "prove" of time travel/parallel universe thingy when Rebuild isn't a stranger at all when it comes to repeated imageries, both blatant and subtle. I see it as a way to ensure that this is, in fact, still Evangelion no matter how much everything has changed.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:34 pm

We have a whole running thread on this... https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/20197/You-Never-See-Anything-Just-Once-NTE-Edition/

Your post would be a great contribution.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”