Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby Mr. M » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:New score sneak peek! Sagisu and an audio engineer (mentioned as a former violin layer) in the 2nd Abbey Road studio, mixing the cue that was used in the first half of AVANT1.

Is this "11170 CH edition 0706", right? Or a new rendition?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:48 am

I Love the fact, absolutely love that the evangelion score is recorded in England with an English orchestra.

It shows khara spare no expense on the best musicians in probably the most well known studio in the world.

Not only that it’s also one of the best in terms of the recording quality. I believe it’s the only one of 2 recording studios in England capable of recording a full symphony orchestra, the other being Maida Vale.

Also interesting that it seems like Shiro doesn’t actually see any cuts of the music before composing. He probably just sees story boards

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:07 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:It shows khara spare no expense on the best musicians in probably the most well known studio in the world.

Not only that it’s also one of the best in terms of the recording quality. I believe it’s the only one of 2 recording studios in England capable of recording a full symphony orchestra, the other being Maida Vale.

I'm sure there are people with more expertise on the subject, but which studio in the facility is being used. I know Studio 2 is the most fameous because that's where the Beatles recorded, so that would be cool if it's the same place.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:51 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Is this "11170 CH edition 0706", right? Or a new rendition?

It's that track, yeah. Since this is an old video, it's probably a very early version as the ending shows Sagisu thanking the musicians who just finished recording.

cyharding wrote:I know Studio 2 is the most fameous because that's where the Beatles recorded, so that would be cool if it's the same place.

Speaking of Beatles, Derek Watkins who performed the trumpet in Strawberry Fields Forever, Hans Zimmer's Gladiator, and all James Bond scores up to Skyfall (his last work before he passed away in 2013) was among the ensemble that performed "The Anthem" in 3.0's score, according to Sagisu himself.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:18 am

That video shiro posted is from studio 2

But for the full symphony orchestra before social distancing rules were implemented

That would of been recorded in studio 1

Mod edit: Don't double-post, edit your own post first.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:31 pm

Are they doing midnight showings for Thrice Upon A Time in Japan or are those still not happening?

Just asking cause as I type this it is 2:30am in Japan on Monday March 1. If a midnight showing does happen the first screening will be getting out right about now.

IF midnight screenings are happening.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:55 pm

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:I Love the fact, absolutely love that the evangelion score is recorded in England with an English orchestra.

It shows khara spare no expense on the best musicians in probably the most well known studio in the world.

Shiro habitually works on all his music, it's not specially about Eva.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:03 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Are they doing midnight showings for Thrice Upon A Time in Japan or are those still not happening?

I noticed there are no words whatsoever about Eva Q: 3.333+Shin Eva midnight screenings which were supposed to be the big premiere event before the lockdown strikes.

Maybe because normal operational hour for theaters is only effective again exactly on March 8, having midnight screenings means they would have to stay open on late night on March 7 for the crowd to come and redeem their tickets, whis isn't allowed for now. (The combined runtime would be around 250 minutes, so if the screenings begin at 00:00, it'd end at around 4:10).

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:20 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Maybe because normal operational hour for theaters is only effective again exactly on March 8, having midnight screenings means they would have to stay open on late night on March 7 for the crowd to come and redeem their tickets, whis isn't allowed for now. (The combined runtime would be around 250 minutes, so if the screenings begin at 00:00, it'd end at around 4:10).

IIRC Shin was supposed to play at midnight, so Q would start at 22:20, a small break and Shin at 00:00.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Ah, that'd make perfect sense (so all first screenings for Shin will start and end at the same time) and even more unlikely now as theaters will have to stay operate normally on March 7.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:39 pm

Even if the midnight screening is out, I imagine they still have the ability to have 3.333 - 3.0 + 1.0 back to back screenings. We'll know for sure on or before the 5th when the tickets are being sold.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:12 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:I noticed there are no words whatsoever about Eva Q: 3.333+Shin Eva midnight screenings which were supposed to be the big premiere event before the lockdown strikes.

Maybe because normal operational hour for theaters is only effective again exactly on March 8, having midnight screenings means they would have to stay open on late night on March 7 for the crowd to come and redeem their tickets, whis isn't allowed for now. (The combined runtime would be around 250 minutes, so if the screenings begin at 00:00, it'd end at around 4:10).

That reminds me of the NTE marathon they did in the Grand Rex theater in Paris in June 2013, where they showed back to back 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, it started at 6:30PM and ended at nearly 11:00PM, I can't imagine the madness if they try to make a full tetralogy marathon. Oh man that would be so epic! :w00t:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Lacissal
Lilith

Postby Lacissal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:52 pm

Total speculation but at this stage they might just want to maximise the number of screenings for Shin and then do back to back showings later like Revival. Though I think there was something on the official Eva twitter about 3.333 showings that I didn't fully understand.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:32 pm

Lacissal wrote:Total speculation but at this stage they might just want to maximise the number of screenings for Shin and then do back to back showings later like Revival.

Yeah. That's what I would expect. Movie theater real-estate - there are only so many auditoriums exist to play so many movies a certain number of times a day - is a crazy business and with the final movie being so long it cuts down on the number of showings they could get of the film a day.

A few years ago in between film gigs I was a movie theater managers so I have some experience with this. In a normal 12 hour operating day one - first show starting at 10am and last show starting at 10 or 11pm - as long as the theater doesn't go trailer crazy one auditorium could play the 90 minute You Can (Not) Redo about six times a day. 30 minutes being scheduled between each showing to give staff time to clean up theater and get next group of customers in. With Thrice Upon A Time being 155 minutes that same auditorium could only play the film around 4 times a day. That drastically cuts down on the number of tickets that one auditorium can sell in a day. Add in the 50% seat capacity and tickets sold has been cut down even more drastically.

Obviously I imagine Toho will work around this issue by having the film play on more auditoriums to equal things out. With the odd circumstances of Covid I imagine all focus will be on getting viewers to see the film first.

But yeah, I won't be surprised if a month from now, or two months, or even after the summer, Khara announces a small run of Shin Evangelion Double Feature. All 251 minutes of it.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:23 pm

It’s very poetic that this is the third official release date and it’s called thrice upon a time

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:49 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Speaking of Beatles, Derek Watkins who performed the trumpet in Strawberry Fields Forever, Hans Zimmer's Gladiator, and all James Bond scores up to Skyfall (his last work before he passed away in 2013) was among the ensemble that performed "The Anthem" in 3.0's score, according to Sagisu himself.

This is awesome. Love the Beatles, and knowing someone who performes on that song worked on Eva too...wow. It's surprising (but makes sense).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:24 pm

I work in the same radio company as Catherine bott who is the soprano singer on the shin eva sound track.

She said she loves shiro and he’s a joy to work with.

There’s a photo he posted of the singers on his Twitter somewhere.

Gonna ask her to sign my album when it arrives

bastianstix
Embryo

Postby bastianstix » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 pm

Any info about what time will the screenings begin?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:01 am

Release date for the OST March 17th.

The day after my birthday. Perfect. ^_^
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:55 am

HYPE!!!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”