Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ghostboy_1993
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby Ghostboy_1993 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:55 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:One day after state of emergency ends? There is going to be a lot of traffic lol.

And you thought 4th Impact was scary...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:57 am

Me: "I think the earliest they could get the film ready and released is mid-March."
Khara: "We're bringing it out the day after Lockdown ends!"

I love being wrong sometimes.

(And if they're bringing out the Utada Hikaru single the day after release instead of waiting a few days like originally planned I wonder if this means the Shiro Sagisu score is also being expedited. Maybe like March 12th, the Friday. Did I miss that news? I want my pre-ordered discs!)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:04 am

Definitely didn't expect them to literally release the film as soon as the state of emergency ended but I'm not complaining.

Now, after 8 years plus 4 months, we can finally stop theorizing about what will be in this in movie and find out what will actually happen! And then the cycle will begin again.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:06 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:(And if they're bringing out the Utada Hikaru single the day after release instead of waiting a few days like originally planned I wonder if this means the Shiro Sagisu score is also being expedited. Maybe like March 12th, the Friday. Did I miss that news? I want my pre-ordered discs!)

Well, if that news is out it's possible it got buried in the middle of the storm. Let's see, you should have your answer pretty soon! ^_^
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:22 am

Speaking of Shiro & Music:

Google Translation: It's the familiar emergency music (do you say it yourself?)
I hope it ends with a peaceful major chord like this ending ...

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:24 am

Now it's really happening, just exactly as my profile image says. IT WAS HAPPENING ALLLLLL ALONGGGG!!
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Saint Eva
Embryo

Postby Saint Eva » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:33 am

Oh thank god. I am so happy right now.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:34 am

View Original Postgirlifyoudidnt wrote:An illustration of Shikinami Asuka by Nishigori will be distributed to moviegoers from the release date.

If they don't resell it for crazy prices I'll try getting it. Hopefully we get a scan too (if it's not spoilery, which I doubt it'll be).

So march 8 huh. Day after quarantine. Happy the film is coming, but Toho is as money hungry as it gets. Whatever.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:34 am

I don't care anymore but as the Doctor said ..

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:49 am

Question, as I'm not sure based on what I've been reading, are the theatre restrictions actually being removed as well? I'm sure they're getting eased, but the announcement calls for people to follow Covid rules at the the showings I believe.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby JuanSorel » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:53 am

Great news (as long as it is as safe as possible and the situation really is reasonably good enough).

Now we need a support group for the "when am i in my country going to be able to see this?", a "I got spoiled despite my many precautions" and a "I need spoilers NOW" crowds.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 am

hui43210 wrote:Question, as I'm not sure based on what I've been reading, are the theatre restrictions actually being removed as well?

Pretty sure the 50% capacity seating is still in place. With seating rules in place and the film being so long to cut down on screenings longevity is the key to this films success. Not a big opening weekend.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:04 am

Demon Slayer had an incredible opening weekend even with theaters at half capacity, so fingers crossed for Shin Evangelion to pull off a similar performance - or perhaps even beat it!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:09 am

If I could watch the film illegally which I absolutely won’t.

I would still purchase it on blu ray obviously.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:11 am

I just meant with Eva being 155 minutes long it means fewer showings in a day. If one auditorium can play a 2 hour movie about 5 times a day a 2.5 hour movie can only run around 4 showings a day.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:17 am

Okay, 4 showings a day, but how many screens? Wiki says that Demon Slayer opened in 403 theaters - 365 theaters with normal screens and 38 with IMAX screens. Now with both Toho and Toei distributing, how many theaters would it open in? If it opens with 500 theaters across Japan, having one fewer screening per day would counterbalance against having 4 screenings instead of 5 a day, pretty easily.

EDIT:
This article does examine some of the reasons why Demon Slayer did unusually well. If it's true, then Shin Eva is already at a disadvantage against that particular record.
https://www.cbr.com/why-demon-slayer-mo ... rds-japan/

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:22 am

Haha. Oh the film is going to be a huge hit. I'm not trying to argue that.
I just see this one having real legs like Demon Slayer did and not be a huge opening and quick drop off film.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:29 am

CAN SOMEONE LIVING IN Japan PLEASE DO A SPOILER FREE REVIEW ON THIS FORUM PLEASE AFTER RELEASE
THANKS

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:32 am

Just checked CDJapan and the Utada Hikaru CD I've pre-ordered is now dated March 10. Shiro's score is still "Undetermined" but I hope that updates soon.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:38 am

I think there are new rules in place, but I don't know much more than what Google translate tells me.

https://twitter.com/khara_inc/status/1365270814640148480?s=19
Link in the tweet.

Edit: khara links to this video:
https://youtu.be/F9sUkQOBSjI

Edit2 (after watching the video): yeah no way would I go to the cinema lol
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”