EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:50 pm

Shin Eva seriously will be the final final Eva it feels like, huh? :bigeyes:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 pm

I wonder if Khara will be nice enough to put the new post-credits teaser online before 3.0+1.0's release?
Though this close to release I can see them deciding to just keep it a theater exclusive.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a recording online before the weekend is up to be honest...

Curious about the dialogue note. Is that just for the teaser or is it IN the movie itself?

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:55 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:To me, any dialogue changes are totally wild and unexpected. That's where my surprise is coming from. (Unless it's just narration changes in the new preview, and not actual character dialogue in the movie proper.)

Here's the following tweet:
"There's only one line modification as far as I remember and it's quite a trivial. Nothing to worry about."

I hope this will be the version for TV airing on January 29, I'm really curious about these changes too and not sure I can wait for yet another Blu-ray release.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:20 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:"Misato and the Wille crew sortie to settle everything.

Asuka and Mari pilot the Eva to settle everything.

Shinji confronts his father Gendo to settle everything.

And Shinji decides, farewell to all Evangelion.

Next time: New Evangelion Theatrical Edition.

And until the end, I'll give you service, service~!"

Man, this along with the most recent trailers really gives me heavy vibes that this will be Rebuild's Matrix Revolutions. Hopefully, not in terms of story execution though.

Heck, maybe the final fight with be an Evangelion vs Evangelion duel akin to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQBzR7TgQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTcxhshCE

:tongue:
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:23 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Curious about the dialogue note. Is that just for the teaser or is it IN the movie itself?

Do you mean the "Misato (30 second preview)" bit to the right, or the written in "Shin Eva" in red pen? I believe it's in the Next Time Preview, and that Q had similar (though it's been awhile since I rewatched...)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:41 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Do you mean the "Misato (30 second preview)" bit to the right, or the written in "Shin Eva" in red pen? I believe it's in the Next Time Preview, and that Q had similar (though it's been awhile since I rewatched...)

Oh I meant the second note in the post a page back where GhostlyOcam was sharing what someone who just saw 3.333 said on Twitter:

GhostlyOcam wrote:- There are dialogue changes, but not specified.

I'm curious if that means there are completely new lines in the body of the film itself & if so how significant is it. Very curious to find out.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:42 pm

According to this person, the code to activate Unit-02's Beast Mode is no longer "Code Triple Seven", but "Back Code Three Seven".

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:45 pm

As long as the change in dialogue is minor, I will be satisficed knowing my copy of Q is still valid. Thanks GhostOccam for giving us an update from Japan, and please keep looking for differences.

Also I have to say, Shinji confronting Gendo has me excited. From what I remember, Shinji and Gendo never had a talk in the original series after the dummy plug incident, and is something I wished happened.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

kuro hazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kuro hazama » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:41 am

People are talking about It on 2ch.

One guy said that the crashed ship on dogma now has wille´s logo
Other that he felt there were a lot of new shots that made things clearer but didnt say anything specific.
Then the preview apparently:
Has no 8+2, with one person saying in vague wording that there are other guys in that scene, Shinji somehow looking in a nostalgic mood with Unit 01 and shots very similar to the "I´m evangelion Unit 01´s pilot!" moment when the narration goes about Shinji and Gendou.
Also a very vague "Shinji´s plug suit is in Unit 01 colours" which I donr know If It means the classic one or one thats purple-green.
Now Its the classic preview bgm, no chorus.
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

IsAnnoGodOrATroll
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby IsAnnoGodOrATroll » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:26 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Man, this along with the most recent trailers really gives me heavy vibes that this will be Rebuild's Matrix Revolutions. Hopefully, not in terms of story execution though.

Hopefully it's better than The Matrix Revolutions. That was a messy one. We'll have to see :shifty:
Thrice Upon A Goodbye...

IsAnnoGodOrATroll
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby IsAnnoGodOrATroll » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:55 am

View Original Postkuro hazama wrote:Other that he felt there were a lot of new shots that made things clearer but didnt say anything specific.

Wonder how the new shots look like. Some shots from 3.0 on first watch were confusing to look at because of the composition. I'd say some were because of the CG animation restricting the camera movement or something but I don't really know much of anything in that aspect. The new movie seems to have better shot composition so I think they re-centered the focus in shots where they're off or looks ugly. All in all, curious about which and which were changed and added.

Also, the Central Dogma ship being Wille's means that it's either a last-minute decision to tie in with a subplot/ scene from Thrice Upon A Time (maybe we might get flashbacks from the Wille operation there in the new movie!!???) or a detail to further add to the world building.

But these are just guesses anyways :D
Thrice Upon A Goodbye...

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:49 am

Patiently waiting for a 4K Blu Ray now.

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:15 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:According to this person, the code to activate Unit-02's Beast Mode is no longer "Code Triple Seven", but "Back Code Three Seven

I don't know enough about Japanese number usage but it, and if 3.333 is meant to be pronounced 'Three-Three', were possibly inspired by the Leiji Matsumoto classic Galaxy Express 999 which is pronounced 'Suri-Nain'

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:17 am

Well THIS is promising.

I did not expect a physical confrontation between Shinji and Genmdo because that's one cliched thing the original series avoided but I'll reserve judgement until I see what they do.

The shots refining the hints at the interim events (it really depends on which ship where) are gonna be fun, certainly the new trailer/preview. I hope someone gets their hands on it soon.
What would purple suit Shinji even symbolize?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 am

View Original Postkboyrulez12345 wrote:As long as the change in dialogue is minor, I will be satisficed knowing my copy of Q is still valid. Thanks GhostOccam for giving us an update from Japan, and please keep looking for differences.

Even if 3.333 ended up being THE canonical version of Q with all these changes, 3.33 still has the archival value and most likely become a sought-after collectors item, no need to get discouraged! I'm still waiting for someone to make a comprehensive list of all changes which I'm sure requires multiple viewings, so let's give it a day or two before it appears.
:asuka_wink:

View Original PostLacissal wrote:I don't know enough about Japanese number usage but it, and if 3.333 is meant to be pronounced 'Three-Three', were possibly inspired by the Leiji Matsumoto classic Galaxy Express 999 which is pronounced 'Suri-Nain'

You might be right because the 4-series Evangelion units seen in Shin Eva's AVANT1 are called "four-two A" (44A), "four-two B" (44B), and "four-four C" (4444C).

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The shots refining the hints at the interim events (it really depends on which ship where) are gonna be fun

Pretty sure it's this one:
SPOILER: Show

Which again opens the speculation whether Wille was established as soon as NTI ends because Terminal Dogma was sealed for 14 years according to Kaworu's words, or it already existed even before NTI. I've been a firm believer of the latter even before this 3.333 revelation since we have the scene from 2.0 with Kaji spying on Gendo and Fuyutsuki for an unknown party, if we go by NGE logic he probably did it for SEELE, but it could be a mislead because it's Rebuild and instead its hinted the existence of an entirely new party, along with the whole thing about Mari.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:16 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:According to this person, the code to activate Unit-02's Beast Mode is no longer "Code Triple Seven", but "Back Code Three Seven".

That's not huge in my eyes, but I can totally see howo this changes a few things for those who follow the details of the world-building of Eva.

I forget, in Eva 2.22 did Mari say something along the lines of her access to Unit 02's BEAST Mode being a "backdoor" in some way? If so, I wonder if Asuka's line change in 3.333 was made to be consistent in that regard.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:22 am

Three Seven makes sense considering 4444C is called Four Four C.

Adding Wille's logo to the aircrafts, assuming that's the scene, also changes my headcanon of the events, as I presumed that happened BEFORE Wille was funded.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:27 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I forget, in Eva 2.22 did Mari say something along the lines of her access to Unit 02's BEAST Mode being a "backdoor" in some way? If so, I wonder if Asuka's line change in 3.333 was made to be consistent in that regard.

Yup, she said "Backdoor code... The Beast!", so it's probably for consistency's sake.

kuro hazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kuro hazama » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:38 am

Various people are mentioning a giant white eva in space, some say Its a giant infinity.
theres something on twitter about mysterious old men too.
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:50 am

Welp.

I think Imma check it out on Monday.
The updated Next Time Preview is what did it for me.
Imma feel so vindicated if Shinji really does have a new plugsuit in it and it matches the one from the One Last Kiss cover that I have been suspicious of.

And please keep sharing any bits on changes that you find out from places like twitter. Something like the Wille mark on the ship is something that probably would have gone completely over my head if I didn't get a heads up beforehand.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”