EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Asuka and Mari's new plugsuit may actually be hinting at "3.33 Director's Cut"

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Final is coming out
A possibility of a director's cut
NGE BD Western release on the horizon

Wew what a time to be an eva fan. The cherry on top would be the original ADV dub option and I'm set on my eva needs for another 25 years!

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I think this might be it.
I have no problem with this change at all, as long as the original version is always available in some form (btw, I'd be a fan of the theater versions being released too).
I think this stuff has to be preserved. I mean, I watched Eva 1.01 for the first time this year lol.

I just wonder, will her new plugsuit look good in all 3.0 shots?
I'm just so used to this cholor scheme.

It will not look out of place obviously, but I wunder.

Bolded. Missed opportunity :wink:

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'm of the mind GKids is working towards getting them. They clearly have the resources to outbid Funimation who long wanted the rights to NGE ...
Add in that whole debacle with the dubbing of 3.0 and I could see Khara unwilling to go that route again.
If GKids wants the rights to the four Rebuild films they'll make it happen.

I really hope GKids grabs them and actually releases the films in consistent BD cases that look good next to each other on my shelf (with an added benefit of Final releasing in less than 3-years in English) - cry me lakes of salt Gen Fukunaga :finger:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Asuka and Mari's new plugsuit may actually be hinting at "3.33 Director's Cut"

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:01 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:Bolded. Missed opportunity :wink:

lol. Very true.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:49 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:But I wonder if 3.0 needed extra scenes.
It had a pretty long development, and maybe staff was happy with it. But maybe they do change something.

I thought I had Q covered by now lol.

As far as development goes, there's a whole iceberg we haven't even scratched the surface of in regards to Q considering how closely tied it is to 3.0+1.0 more than it is 2.0.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

A Renegade Deserter
Adam
Location: Back from exile to infiltrate and combat my mortal enemy

•      
  •      

Postby A Renegade Deserter » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:13 pm

^
The Question would also be whether after 3.0+1.0s release, the CRCs 'll be seperated in two or tied for 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 together into one CRC.

The CRC content for 3.0 would spoil any intel over 3.0+1.0 too.

Then we can know for sure what really happend then.
"To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless."
- Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

"There is no difference between what is right and what is necessary."

"We cannot escape anguish. It is what we are."

"Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost."

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:28 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I really hope GKids grabs them and actually releases the films in consistent BD cases that look good next to each other on my shelf (with an added benefit of Final releasing in less than 3-years in English) - cry me lakes of salt Gen Fukunaga :finger:

The Funimation cases being so different film to film - and in 1.0's case just plain ugly - bothered me so much a year ago I reordered a second copy of the Japanese Blu-rays and switched cases. Now they look really nice next on my shelf. Especially since they sit next to my copy of the pink-cased Hideaki Anno Live Action Boxset (that thing's an amazing steal with excellent English subs on a Japanese release!)

Either way we need a re-release from GKids if simply to free the films from product placement. GKids releases are clean. It was a joy when GKids got the the entire Ghibli Library from Disney - who sold off the Ghibli rights because they felt they didn't NEED THEM?! - so when you go to watch Porco Rosso you don't have to first skip a trailer for Cars vs Planes or whatever Disney was releasing when the disc came out. It'd be nice to pop in a disc of 1.0 and not first see a trailer for whatever so-so title Funimation was pushing circa 2009.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:38 am

My least favorite new plug suit design was Asuka's suit. It had white, red, purple (?), green, blue, black and those colors were all over the suit, whereas other plugsuits had more consistent and clearer designs, so I don't mind the change.
The new one now flows nicely and makes visually more sense when I look at it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:52 am

I also have a lot of criticisms against Funimation's handling of their Evangelion releases. It's those criticisms that partially fuel my joy of GKids picking up the TV series instead. However, I still find it kind of amazing that Funimation released two versions of Evangelion Jo! It shows that at least some effort was made in releasing all of the Japanese-available films in the United States, rather than releasing only the shiny extended editions.

Granted, their fumbling of the special features in the Eva 1.11 Blu-ray release, and the absolute debacle that was the alternate English dubs for Eva 3.33 (which is so convoluted that I still hear different and contradicting stories about it to this very day) was so absurd that it would make any Japanese studio that is concerned about public perception in foreign markets give pause to working with them again.

(I don't count Shin Godzilla as an installment in the saga of Khara's relationship with Funimation, since that's more Toho's baby anyway, and Toho has always been weird about their Godzilla releases in foreign markets. They wouldn't even let Criterion remaster the Showa Era films from their original film elements outside of the original 1954 film, which they had already remastered and restored under a different licensing deal back somewhere around 2011. I think Toho is currently overseeing a 4K restoration of Showa Era Godzilla using original film elements, and from what I've seen they look way better than what they had allowed Criterion to use for their release.)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:11 am

Not to be the pessimistic one here, but in the link Gendo's Papa posted in the other thread for the Demon Slayer movie, Funimation/Aniplex already secured the rights to the theatrical screening to Demon Slayer and are going to release is here in the US 2021. With that in mind, Funimation is clearly jumping on snatching up the rights to any releases in Japan. We don't know what the current status is of the rights to any of the NTE movies except for maybe 1.0, and I guarantee Funimation will attempt to get 3.0+1.0 before anyone else.

It's a moot point to me since whoever does get the rights to Shin Eva will do a theatrical screening and that's all I'm in for since the Japanese BD copy is my top priority and a US home video release is something I can get to complete my collection simply when it's convenient for me.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:36 pm

Actually, whoever picks up the US theatrical release of Shin Eva might be a good indicator as to who also releases it on Blu-ray. If Gkids picks it up, like they did with Weathering With You, then they'll also release it to DVD and Blu-ray. Like Gendo's Papa said, Funimation seemingly not printing any more Eva 1.xx discs (as well as their vocal interest in the TV Series when Netflix announced their streaming deal, which was seemingly ignored by Khara) is a tentative indicator of Funimation's relationship with the Eva Series as a whole.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:42 pm

As long as Netflix doesn't get Thrice Upon A Time I'm okay.

My two reasons:

1. It would end any theatrical run outside Japan. Because Eva is not an in-house original that Netflix funded and owns in perpetuity there'd be zero incentive for them to give it a run of any kind. A theatrical run outside Japan just wouldn't happen.**

2. It wouldn't make a home video release outside Japan an impossibility *** BUT it would delay any kind of home video release with subs by at least a year if not two or more.

I'm sure people could have other issues but those two are mine.

** Yes here's an important caveat/discussion about whether theaters are safe where you live, it's certainly not 100% safe in the US even in the city bubble I live in,, but things could be different in six months and short of a disaster it would certainly be fine to run the film in countries like New Zealand, Singapore, etc that have done the work. While the availability of the film would be nice I would love to see this film at least once on a big screen in my life. It's an event. People shoudl have the opportunity - if it can be made safe - to view the film theatrically.

*** GKids now having the home video rights to NGE makes me think Netflix must have signed a two year exclusivity on the series. Whether that contract began when they signed for the series - around of before October 2019 when they announced it - OR when the series became available on Netflix - June 21 2019 - is up for debate and would also dictate when GKids could release the series on home video. Netflix would certainly sign a similar contract on any other Eva release they got which would delay a home video release worldwide outside Japan until something like late 2022 or 2023 at the earliest.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:04 pm

I wonder where Toho and Toei figure into this? I'm sure they made a deal with Khara to bring final to as many screen as possible and how would that affect theatrical releases in territories outside Japan. Personally whoever gets the eventual right for it in the US i hope they keep the same dub for consistency with the rest of rebuild.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 pm

im glad the red legs are back but i will miss the white acents on arms
ANATA BAKA !?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:20 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:As long as Netflix doesn't get Thrice Upon A Time I'm okay.

If Netflix got ahold of Shin Eva I would literally have a mental breakdown. There is no way I would be happy with a Netflix exclusive deal where I would have to put up with the shifting bandwidth at my house making the quality jump back and forth, possibly not having great surround sound, etc. Those are some of the main reasons I own as much physical media as I do. (I have over 600+ movie titles in my collection so far, and I don't use those DVD books they sell because then I would have to give up y blockbuster aesthetic and all of the printed media that comes with a lot of my discs, and who wants that?)

xolbor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xolbor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:53 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:If Netflix got ahold of Shin Eva I would literally have a mental breakdown. There is no way I would be happy with a Netflix exclusive deal where I would have to put up with the shifting bandwidth at my house making the quality jump back and forth, possibly not having great surround sound, etc. Those are some of the main reasons I own as much physical media as I do. (I have over 600+ movie titles in my collection so far, and I don't use those DVD books they sell because then I would have to give up y blockbuster aesthetic and all of the printed media that comes with a lot of my discs, and who wants that?)

That won't happen. Khara themselves admitted there's no better way of experiencing this movie unless you're in a theater.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:24 am

Another change I spotted:

Story so far

A less real-life approach to have Rei's red eyes pop.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:28 am

Looks like they removed one blue-tinged layer from the second shot.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:35 am

A lot of that looks like color grading changes; not so much a redesign of the suit or character design, but just different filers being used to adjust the overall color pallet in the shot to fit a different mood or tone. But I’m not sure what the exact workflow was for this scene to be absolutely sure. I wonder if there’s an ungraded pass of this (or a similar) shot in the “Evangelion 3.03” feature on the disc release. That could give us another reference when it comes to changes like this.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:36 am

I knew the Rei shots were different. I...was too lazy to compare though lol.
Has anybody noticed differences in 1.0 or 2.0?
SPOILER: Show
I'm still being lazy.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:48 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Another change I spotted

Cool, not really better nor worse change.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:07 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Cool, not really better nor worse change.

I think this are going to be the real changes of this version. Something so little you have to go frame by frame to catch It. Nothing that will change the meaning of the movies.

Talking about the Eyes change, i don't know.
On one side, the red makes a good contrast with the rest of the ambient, making an alienating effect that well explains Rei-Q as a whole.

On the other side, the more dark, almost violet eyes because of the light in the room, made a more realistic approach to the scene that is always good-looking.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”