Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:30 am

Every product is made for sale.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:04 am

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Like you know, basically every mecha and magical girl anime does... But OK...

I liked to think that Eva was better than that though. And whether you’re bothered by it or not, you have to agree that the Rebuilds are ten times more toyetic than the original show.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:59 am

Whatever submissions Shin Evangelion will have for models and figurines will be a minuscule drop in the bucket compared to all of the figurines of the bikini/swimsuit/maid outfit/nude in unbuttoned shirt/Eva@School/horse racing/actual fashion line tie ins/etc. versions of the characters that exist outside of the NTE films that are already in circulation. A little Anno-blessed variety in that sea of naked merchandising never hurt anybody. Within terms of specifically how the plug suit variety will overshadow the rest of the film, I think it'll be handled more like Iron Man's suit changing from film to film, rather than, say, Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin movie (the film where the word "toyetic" originated, via Schumacher's audio commentary explaining the producers' demands for his movie). Basically, it'll be seen (in much better movies than any of the Marvel affair), but probably won't distractingly dominate the frame as all of the new costumes and vehicles did in Batman & Robin.

Honestly, out of all the new suits, I'm probably most invested in getting my hands on Ritsuko's "Plug Suit" (or whatever they're calling it) from Shin Eva's Avant 1 segment, complete with the protective helmet and lab coat. That suit is full of all sort of badass vibes that I can't help but tear up a little every time I see it. It expresses "I may not be able to survive on this planet, but I'm gonna science the Hell outta it!" (See? Eva suit designs that express character motivation and personality! Anno knows his stuff!)

And that's part of the limitations we're facing with these teasers: They are void of any meaningful context. If Ritsuko's plug suit were presented void of any context, I would also feel like Khara is possibly stretching my patience too thin. (Like, are they really gonna make ALL of the Eva cast wear a plug suit just to sell figurines?) But, as it was presenting in Avant 1, Ritsuko's plug suit actually expressed the character's determination to face all of the deadly elements to help save humanity. It honestly felt like the stakes were being risen simply by depicting Ritsuko in that plug suit and that lab coat. (The most important part of the costume, obviously.) The same thing also goes for Gendo's plug suit in one of the earlier teasers; it conveys that Gendo is doing something he has canonically (both in the franchise as a whole and in this series within specific) from which he has deliberately separated himself. Gendo's plug suit in the context of the series as a whole also shows how wild and unpredictable this final film is actually gonna be! I'm sure Asuka and Mari's white plug suits will also have a similar narrative significance, presumably having a hand in also visually conveying and reminding the viewer of the constantly raising the stakes of the film's climactic story.

SPOILER: Show
(Or the white suits symbolically linking Asuka and Mari to the concept of death, maybe? Both Mari and Asuka have gone deeper into Eva synchronization than they should have, causing them to no longer be human. Are they planning to leva behind a world in which humanity can survive, but they cannot? Who knows.)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:05 am

I don't recall Gendo being shown with one.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 am

I share Freaky's views on the plugsuits.
And I don't think being toyetic is even bad. NGE was definitely toyetic too.

As for Gendo in a plugsuit. This is either a Berenstain/Mandela situation or Freaky is having a vision from the future.

Gendo having a plugsuit could be the best or the worst thing ever.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:33 am

I have read some articles about this trailer.People are talking about a modified eva 0. Where? All i see are wunder, modified eva 2,8 and mark 10.
Though i would love to see eva 0 doing something badass for once.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:34 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I share Freaky's views on the plugsuits.
And I don't think being toyetic is even bad. NGE was definitely toyetic too.

It definitely was, otherwise it wouldn’t become such a huge merchandising empire. But it wasn’t toyetic anywhere near as much as the Rebuilds are. There were only five robots in the original, and plugsuit designs stayed consistent throughout. But in the Rebuilds, there are thirteen robots and counting, and it seems like plugsuit designs change in every act of the movie. Not saying it’s a bad thing, just pointing it out.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 am

I guess I'm the one fool who thinks the creative team at Khara gives a lot less thought to the merchandise than people think they do. That the many changes to the the Evas and the many new Evas are all story driven and all the new plugsuit designs are also generally driven by story and a desire to create new looks.

They're absolutely aware of the merchandise element of it all - it's impossible for them not too - but the driving force the many looks and changes comes from the team of artists desire to shake things up first and any thought to merchandise is a distant second or third.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:26 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:As for Gendo in a plugsuit. This is either a Berenstain/Mandela situation or Freaky is having a vision from the future.

Possibly. It has been known to happen before. -o-;

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:19 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Possibly. It has been known to happen before. -o-;

Tbh you made me go through all Shin Eva marketing we've had so far in doubt as well haha.
But I think the only shot of Gendo so far is one from the first teaser standing in front of Eva-13.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:22 am

Honeslty I expect Gendo to be rocking new more stylish eyewear, a plugsuit, a kickass cape and some awesome shoulder pads in the final act of the film.

Kinda like

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 am

If Fuyutsuki doesn't betray Gendo and take on that (his old) role.
Honestly just the "Fuyutsuki is testing us" sentence from Ritsuko in Avant1 makes me think Fuyu will be important here. And 3.0 dedicated some time to him too.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:09 pm

I got that impression too. That shot in the second trailer with him looking dowright grim while apparently releasing an Ayanami clone on his own seems to be indicating he is acting at least partly indepedently of Gendo. His infodump in 3.0 is ambiguous, he seems like he's doing it out of a sense of personal guilt/honor/responsiblity. He clearly feels at least a bit sorry for Shinji, and probably feels he owes it to Yui and/or Yui's son. It's also entirely possible he was ordered/orientated to do so by Gendo, and/or that he was simply maneuvered into it by Gendo. That is to say, he wasn't explicitely told to, but Gendo already antecipated that Kozo would do so. It seems to me that Fuyutsuki is growing weary of it all - everything about his character says this. Near the end, he seems to almost resent Gendo's cold examination of the aftermath of the Terminal Dogma fight. He's old. He's tired. So he might as well take action on his own.

'Tis a wretched role I play, indeed.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:15 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Near the end, he seems to almost resent Gendo's cold examination of the aftermath of the Terminal Dogma fight. He's old. He's tired. So he might as well take action on his own.

Yeah, that's the last thing he said in that movie. He was lametning the situation.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 pm

No, he said it right at the end of the infodump, after Shinji leaves and super politely bows to him. He says it to himself, alone. The effect is the same, either way. I guess Shinji's super nice respect to his elders makes him feel even worse, though!

"Oh, man, he's such a nice kid."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:There were only five robots in the original, and plugsuit designs stayed consistent throughout.

Wait, you mean there were not any figurines made of Unit 02's and Asuka's "Type D" variants? I feel as though a great 3-D masterpiece has been withheld from this world.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:30 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Wait, you mean there were not any figurines made of Unit 02's and Asuka's "Type D" variants? I feel as though a great 3-D masterpiece has been withheld from this world.

Apparently there was.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/651755377309441451/

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:41 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Wait, you mean there were not any figurines made of Unit 02's and Asuka's "Type D" variants? I feel as though a great 3-D masterpiece has been withheld from this world.

I mean, it's still the same thing, just with some heat-resistant stuff added. And Magmadiver was the worst episode of the entire show, so I don't see why they would ever want to make action figures of that.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:52 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I guess I'm the one fool who thinks the creative team at Khara gives a lot less thought to the merchandise than people think they do. That the many changes to the the Evas and the many new Evas are all story driven and all the new plugsuit designs are also generally driven by story and a desire to create new looks.

They're absolutely aware of the merchandise element of it all - it's impossible for them not too - but the driving force the many looks and changes comes from the team of artists desire to shake things up first and any thought to merchandise is a distant second or third.
Yeah this is basically how I feel. I could buy the argument that Rebuild is a little more "toyetic" than the original series, but unless I'm forgetting something obvious (Been a while since my last rewatch), even with the massive number of Evas in Rebuild we haven't exactly entered the territory of the manga or Super Robot Wars games where silly things like Progressive Chainsaws and Progressive Katanas and the like are being pulled out left and right. We haven't devolved into Tomino-esque storytelling where narratively pointless fights occur that only exist to show off whatever new accessory is now available on toy-store shelves etc.

Even if white plugsuits are being cynically added to sell character merch (As if Eva hasn't always had that), oh well. Its not like literally thousands of movies, even good movies, haven't done the same kind of thing to push fashion trends and such. All the glamorous outfits in 30's Hollywood movies immediately come to mind. As long as plugsuits don't seem to harm the story of the movie I don't see much reason to get up in arms about them right now. They might even be used in aesthetically nice way in the movie.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:41 pm

The Killer of Heroes wrote:Yeah, we're still long off that mark. There's definitely a whole bunch of weapons in the canon at this point, but so much of it are just one off things that even the more hardcore people likely wouldn't have realized was a different thing if it hadn't been included as a preorder bonus for a figure still want that Revo bayonet thing for 02

I personally don't believe that it's purely for merch sales, it's a nice way of doing some visual parallels/contrasts to Q, which Anno absolutely loves doing; but yeah, at the end of the day, they are just character designs, that I hope will be put to good use in the movie
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”