Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Lacissal
Lilith

Re: Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 am

Speaking of Gundam, just realized how much Black Moon-chan looks like A Baoa Qu!
SPOILER: Show

-also Rei Q and Rei in the Mark X are reminding me a bit of Elpeo Ple in Double Zeta

This might seems like a heretical statement here but both EoE and Q have relatively straightforward/simple scenarios (that's in no way a criticism, it's a large part of their strength/beauty as films) where if you jotted down the actual action that happens it's quite straight forward, there's isn't a convulted or complex narrative scheme (but that's not to say it isn't tightly plotted) but there are mountains of detail, character nuances and interpretation which will take years to untangle on top.

I feel Shin Eva will probably a fairly straightforward structure something like
-Paris AVANT
-Until you come to me sequence of the Pilots wandering through the Third Impact landscape
-reach a Lilin settlement or are collected by the Wunder (back from Paris) and go to a Lilin city (I remember there was a Q and A with Anno where he talked about the alt Eva film that was planned in the late 90s that had a scenario similar to Attack on Titan, esp with Humanity sheltering in one city led to by a giant bridge, and that ideas from it might be used in the final film)
-they launch the big assault on Neo-Nerv/the Black Moon where they get to do a big Gundam/Yamato style finale against the enemy base, like A Baoa Qu, Neo Zeon's Axis, Gamilas, Gatlantis, Dezarium or obvs Red Noah in Nadia

and then all guesses are out the window when it gets to Final Impact or whatever world Shinji feels he can exist in.

Thinking of the preview they played before the screening of AVANT 1, it seems 'Why do you pilot Eva?' is one of the central pillars of Rebuild. Like in Q where Shinji has to be shown the outside world and given hope by Kaworu that he can fix things with the spears, he'll need a key moment of absolute crisis (like Yui breaking through the bakelite and hearing Asuka defeated by the MP Evas) to get back in the entry plug.

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:51 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I did say "potentially".

Oh, and it took about 7 years but we FINALLY get to see that hidden storyboard from the Shiro Sagisu video Peaceful Times in a finalized form.

yes you did say that but at the moment everything we got is speculation these teaser trailers just show enough to give us clues about what's gonna happen
in the next movie.
To be honest I never expected that Rei Q were responsible for Shinji's recovery (Asuka was more likely to be the one doing that) but here we are..
by the way there are a lot of stuff from those days where we knew nothing and the best we've got were those shots and storyboards.

P.S. could you guess what's the meaning behind this?

ShikinamiBogard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShikinamiBogard » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:56 am

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:P.S. could you guess what's the meaning behind this?

Seems like they gonna recreate Nadia ending on certain way, Ayanami betraying Gendo Again (Like Nadia being rescue by her brother , Shinji in this case), but need to kill someone (Jean on Nadia) maybe Asuka?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 am

I re-read Minna No Eva's article about khara's 10th anniversay exhibition. There is some stuff that may be relevant.

A multi-tiered bed is placed in the middle to forcibly partition the room.
With the bet [I presume is bed] as the boundary, it is vaguely divided into Asuka space and Mari space.
Asuka lying on the bed while playing a game.

I would bet Asuka is pretty keen on keeping Mari at a distance, both physically and also emotionally (Mari saying to Shinji that he has to "save the princess" would then make sense). Also Asuka asserted her dominance and she sleeps on top.

Could this be the aftermath of Final Impact? We see Unit 08 and Unit 02 descent in the Guf in the trailer, and it's reasonable to expect them to fail (Eva is Shinji's story). This may be Unit 01 with a Lance of Longinus walking inside the structure we see inside the Guf at the end of 3.0. The figure on the right may be Asuka or Mari after they ejected from the Eva. I would think Mari is the more likely option as Asuka's eye is possibly involved with Instrumentality/Final Impact.

Assuming they didn't scrap this at some point of production of course.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I re-read Minna No Eva's article about khara's 10th anniversay exhibition. There is some stuff that may be relevant.

I would bet Asuka is pretty keen on keeping Mari at a distance, both physically and also emotionally (Mari saying to Shinji that he has to "save the princess" would then make sense). Also Asuka asserted her dominance and she sleeps on top.

Could this be the aftermath of Final Impact? We see Unit 08 and Unit 02 descent in the Guf in the trailer, and it's reasonable to expect them to fail (Eva is Shinji's story). This may be Unit 01 with a Lance of Longinus walking inside the structure we see inside the Guf at the end of 3.0. The figure on the right may be Asuka or Mari after they ejected from the Eva. I would think Mari is the more likely option as Asuka's eye is possibly involved with Instrumentality/Final Impact.

Assuming they didn't scrap this at some point of production of course.

Isn't Unit 01 being used as Wille's power source? If it did appear in the Chambers of Guf, how would it escape from the ship? And more importantly, would Shinji be piloting it?
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:38 am

^
I always taken for granted Wille will fail whatever their plan is and Unit 01/Shinji will be in the position to save, or doom, the world in the final film. But maybe I'm wrong.

Another thing I noticed, Mark.10's face is slightly different in the trailer

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:43 am

Damn, Mark.10 is huge.

Its face shape is similar to Fuyutsuki/Gargoyle too, so I guess "Gargotsuki" is just about official. I'll be really surprised if it won't.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:45 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I re-read Minna No Eva's article about khara's 10th anniversay exhibition. There is some stuff that may be relevant.

Looks like it's also where they get suited up.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 am

I'd say the Mark 10 is actually the standard size of an Eva. 1.0 did a good job of portraying an Eva's size in comparison to people, but 2.0 & 3.0 doesn't really do much for size comparisons other than showing that the Wundar is in fact pretty damn big (enough for Unit 08 to run on its side and have plenty of open space). The Mark 10 only looks huge when comparing it to individual sized humans, next to another Eva it'll probably be roughly the same size.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:00 am

Not exactly the same shot but remarkably close. It's rare to see something only once in Evangelion.
I wonder if Shinji will take her hand?

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 am

I'm far more happy about the date than the trailer itself. The plugsuits look cool, but I don't care much about the EVAs themselves and Mari is still a character I don't give a single damn about. I'm hoping she actually becomes interesting in this movie, but at the same time I'd be crushed if she stole screen time from the characters I care about (I'm still disappointed with that lame action scene in Paris).

I am very excited about those shots of Rei though. I'd love it if she had a big role alongside Shinji. Give me more Shinji and Rei interactions and less CG action scenes with Mari (yes, I did notice there was 2D animation in there, I still don't like the CG).
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 am

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Not to dig up something three pages ago, but I kinda came late to this party. I just want to point out that we don't even have a full trailer yet. This teaser is meant to strictly push as many happy happy joy joy buttons as possible after months of COVID-related chaos and confusion, and it does that wonderfully. I'm sure the longer trailer will have something of more substance to it. In general, I can't think of a 2-hour Japanese animated film that's just all commercial pop and no solid substance, and Shin Eva is already clocked in at a minimal time of 2-hours, so statistically we're already on track for something great! Just sit back, let the teaser tickle you where you like it, find some joy and happiness in these dark and oppressive days, and look forward to something truly robust and rewarding come January 23.

I will just take my chill pill and try not to judge it ahead of time. That being said, I am really afraid how this is going to go. I want it to be great, but I saw these signs before. I guess I won't have high expectations and so I might enjoy it more in the end.

There is too much action in the trailer. I wouldnt mind trailer where people stare, walk and the scenes have meaning. This is just throwing action at us. I know Khara sucks making trailers but does Anno think that EVA fans want the movie to be just an action? I wanted it to be cerebral Magnus opus. That would add something to the original. This doesn't seem to be heading that way.

I am also pissed about the suits. How in the name of F am I going to make this effect on latex. :D

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:24 am

View Original PostLacissal wrote:Speaking of Gundam, just realized how much Black Moon-chan looks like A Baoa Qu!

-also Rei Q and Rei in the Mark X are reminding me a bit of Elpeo Ple in Double Zeta

-they launch the big assault on Neo-Nerv/the Black Moon where they get to do a big Gundam/Yamato style finale against the enemy base, like A Baoa Qu, Neo Zeon's Axis, Gamilas, Gatlantis, Dezarium or obvs Red Noah in Nadia

Oh yeah, you're right! Those are some pretty interesting parallels, kinda hidden in plain sight.

Lacissal wrote:Speaking of Gundam, just realized how much Black Moon-chan looks like A Baoa Qu!

[spoiler]
This might seems like a heretical statement here but both EoE and Q have relatively straightforward/simple scenarios (that's in no way a criticism, it's a large part of their strength/beauty as films) where if you jotted down the actual action that happens it's quite straight forward, there's isn't a convulted or complex narrative scheme (but that's not to say it isn't tightly plotted) but there are mountains of detail, character nuances and interpretation which will take years to untangle on top.

Nonono, you're absolutely right, I very much agree that narratively and in its message, Eva is pretty straightforward. This whole sentiment of "Eva is this cryptic monolith that mere mortals shouldn't even dare to try and understand" is something that has been bothering me since pretty much the beginning.

As for your proposed series of events, I can definitely see that happening. There will likely be a bit more fluff in between, especially in relation to what went down in the missing 14 years and what Nerv/Seele are up to, but the fundamental plot does sound rather, well, sound.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:33 am

View Original PostCaroline L.S. wrote:There is too much action in the trailer. I wouldnt mind trailer where people stare, walk and the scenes have meaning. This is just throwing action at us. I know Khara sucks making trailers but does Anno think that EVA fans want the movie to be just an action? I wanted it to be cerebral Magnus opus. That would add something to the original. This doesn't seem to be heading that way.

I am also pissed about the suits. How in the name of F am I going to make this effect on latex. :D

This is just my two cents. You are obviously entitled to your own opinion.

I don't think action has to be devoid of meaning. In fact the first half of EoE is very action-heavy, and still full of depth. I would say the same for a lot of the action in Rebuild, especially in 3.0.

I also love the Rebuild trailers...they might even be my favourite trailers ever. But I guess it's a taste thing.

I love how heady they feel, it's more of a tone piece than a succession of specific plot developments. I also love the lack of dialogue, since that would make you feel too much like you're there in the moment. That's reserved for the actual film.
Last edited by kuribo-04 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 am

Nice catch from Joseki and SSA. I know *both* of you consider the shipping implications this has, haha. But the point still stands that Asuka is apparently not as close to Mari as what might seem. Mari does care about Asuka, sure, but she closes herself off to her, and everyone else. And of course, Mari keeps teasing the hell out of Asuka about Shinji. Which is an interesting contrast to Kaworu with Shinji in 3.0 as well, with Shinji opening himself up to him easily, and to Kaworu it's seemingly all about Shinji and he's the only one that can help him.

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote: I don't care much about the EVAs themselves and Mari is still a character I don't give a single damn about. I'm hoping she actually becomes interesting in this movie, but at the same time I'd be crushed if she stole screen time from the characters I care about (I'm still disappointed with that lame action scene in Paris).

"I don't care much about the EVAs"

That's basically the best part of mecha anime, mechas and plastic figures.. I'm quite excited about it myself I'd like to see more but for what we know this is more close to uchuu senka Yamato than Gundam, spaceships are cool but give me giant robots and I'll be there.

"Mari is still a character I don't give a damn"

We know nothing to care about so this is not only your opinion she's just there doing stuff because she wants to.. Not bad per se but people often "require" certain qualities to relate on a personal level with a fictional character..

P. S. I've been thinking about Hathaway's Flash, if it weren't for COVID 19 we could have enjoyed Gundam and Evangelion in the same month.
Last edited by ArtyumR on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:38 am

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Damn, Mark.10 is huge.

Its face shape is similar to Fuyutsuki/Gargoyle too, so I guess "Gargotsuki" is just about official. I'll be really surprised if it won't.

Can't wait to find out that Fuyutsuki was the one piloting Mark.10, plugsuit and everything

View Original PostCaroline L.S. wrote:There is too much action in the trailer. I wouldnt mind trailer where people stare, walk and the scenes have meaning. This is just throwing action at us. I know Khara sucks making trailers but does Anno think that EVA fans want the movie to be just an action? I wanted it to be cerebral Magnus opus. That would add something to the original. This doesn't seem to be heading that way.

Weren't the first 3.0+1.0 teasers completely null of any action? I thought those two would be enough to satisfy you, considering they were, up until now, the only pieces of animation we had about the film.

Post has been edited to merge double post - Blockio
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:50 am

View Original PostTajai wrote:Weren't the first 3.0+1.0 teasers completely null of any action? I thought those two would be enough to satisfy you, considering they were, up until now, the only pieces of animation we had about the film.

The first "teaser" was the NTP of Unit 08+02 fighting a bunch of copies of the Mark 06. The second teaser from a year ago didn't have any "action" per se but several intense moments like Unit 02 jumping off an aircraft carrier and the Wundar flying towards the epicenter of an ongoing Impact.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 am

Fair point about the plug suit cosplay situation. I’m expecting a lot of cosplays and figurines to simply have the red or pink borders that the rainbow colors ultimately settle on. (Asuka has red borders in the later shots of the teaser, Mari has pink.) I’m not expecting a lot of attempts to recreate them in RGB LED lights.

Within terms of action, it’s roughly split down the middle of the trailer. There are 20 shots in the teaser (not counting title cards and studio logos), and about 10 - 12 of them (depending on the context of the film proper) don’t appear to be action oriented. But there’s also a lot of extreme close ups on characters that we would need more context for in order to assert the tone of the scene.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 am

Maybe the film is wall to wall action or maybe it's the quiet middle act of 3.0 for most of its runtime. Hard to say at the moment.
There's a high possibility the film will opens with the huge Paris action set piece and then won't have any action scenes until the epic finale with the rest being all character work.
We won't know until January.

But one thing that seems pretty obvious right is now the "EXCESSIVE ACTION" in the trailers - Unit 2 jumping into a fray, the Wunder flying into the Chamber, Unit 2 and unit Unit 8 launching toward the Chamber of Guf, the Wunder firing and being fired upon, maybe even Mark 10 attacking - all appears to be coming from the same sequence. All this action could very well happen within the same 5 minutes.
The pre-release teasers and trailers for 3.0 were primarily made up of shots from the opening space bound action scene. The rest of the movie was kept under wraps.

They're being super super selective in what they're showing.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”