The elephant in the room in the shape of Eva Unit 01

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

The elephant in the room in the shape of Eva Unit 01

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:22 pm

Not really seen much of this talk regarding 3.0+1.0 - but currently there’s been no hint or glimpse from khara of evangelion unit 01 which took a hiatus from 3.0 due to being used by Willie as it’s power system, now from the latest trailer we do see the wunder streaming through the sky heading head first into the final impact, which makes me worried that for a very big chunk of this movie we will not see Eva unit 01 which has always been portrayed as the significant one, the special one, the devil himself.

Do we think that evangelion unit 01 will play an important role in this film? And if evangelion unit 01 wasn’t even in the film until let’s say the final act, how would that make everyone feel.

My theory is that the wunder will ultimately fail and be destroyed or split apart releasing eva unit 01 orrrrrrr Eva unit 01 will unexpectedly awaken and burst out of wunder causing the wunder to perish.

What do we all think people?

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: The elephant in the room in the shape of Eva Unit 01

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:08 am

Really hope Unit 01 gets to fight again.

Seriously, one of the most iconic creations in all of anime and sci-fi for that matter, the destroyer of worlds, one of the very lynchpins as to the entire overarching plan and themes of the story, and now it's reduced to little more than the battery for a stupid looking airship.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:03 am

∆ Eva-01 is in fact one of the greatest designs I've seen, but it's not what Eva is about. "Removing" 01 from 3.0 showed how the franchise can exist without that symbok (even though 13 looked similar), and how Eva can still be done, but you know, with variety in designs and actually new stuff. Like the Wunder, which you call a stupid airship, I love it. Or all the awesome new mechs which show up (+ there are obviously plot/artistic reasons for why things we know are removed from the film).

People complained nonstop on the internet about Star Wars VII being a copy amd paste job or whatever, well this is the opposite of that.

I'd rather Eva-01 show up if/when it doesn't feel forced, not early in the film just to serve the fans.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:08 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'd rather Eva-01 show up if/when it doesn't feel forced, not early in the film just to serve the fans.

It's funny how you mention that. The 3.0 storyboard book shows a cut of Unit 01's head right after Shinji wakes up in the very beginning of the film but it was removed in the final product. The only time we see actual Unit 01 in 3.0 is the split second after it saves Asuka in space.

It's still there, but just out of the way.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:18 am

Is there a screen capture of that page in the storyboard book for 3.0?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Isn't Unit 01 pretty much just a tool for SEELE in the entirety of EoE too? It just floats T-posing most of the movie.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:20 pm

That is correct yes but being a seele tool in terms of the plot or EOE it’s key. Where it doesn’t seem the case in thrice upon a time. More of a solution to end final impact rather than a tool to make it happen, which Eva 13 seems to be

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:53 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:It's funny how you mention that. The 3.0 storyboard book shows a cut of Unit 01's head right after Shinji wakes up in the very beginning of the film but it was removed in the final product. The only time we see actual Unit 01 in 3.0 is the split second after it saves Asuka in space.

It's still there, but just out of the way.

I'll check that out tomorrow. :)
Seems they were toying with the idea of showing 01 but then really "went with it".

I can provide a picture tomorrow.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:00 pm

I have the image right here.

SPOILER: Show
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:59 am

Amazing! Wonder why it was left out!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:11 am

Thanks!
Gotta love the dramatic, wide "X" over stuff that wasn't used lol.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:26 am

I just have a sneaky feeling that gendo will just be fully ploughing along with final impact using Eva 13, probably piloting it himself, and after all the other evas are destroyed, nicely tucked away in wunder is unit 01 and it may be like shit the only thing that can stop this is unit 01, shit that means Shinji will have to pilot, get in the robot Shinji.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'd rather Eva-01 show up if/when it doesn't feel forced, not early in the film just to serve the fans.

From story persepctive Unit-01 is going to show up again because Yui's storyline is still unresolved.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:21 am

Unit 01 houses the souls of both Yui and Rei II, so it's going to have to have some importance in the film. Unit 01 is, asides from Unit 13, also the only unit in the Rebuilds to actually have a soul/souls from what we know of.

Hyoid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hyoid » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:32 pm

Is it possible it was planned when 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 were meant to be released together and when they were separated Anno took out all shots that show Unit 01 saving them so that the 1.0 in the title indicates the importance of Unit 01 in the final film?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:19 am

If a gun is hung on a wall, it will be fired.

That said I don't expect it before the final third of the movie, since it's emergence would probably mean the destruction of the Wunder.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:08 pm

I think Unit 1 won't be that important until the final the act sincerely, I guess it will probably play a role similar to Eoe 01 (but not exactly like Eoe, I don't even think Yui wants to achieve immortality at all in this incarnation) and will save the day, but at least now we have at least some type of confirmation (obviously) 01 will return considering that image of new plugsuit happy Shinji from the OST. Anyway, I'm pretty interested in the rivality between Wunder (Representing Wille and with 01 as it's master and energy source X Dark Wunder (Representing Neo-Nerv and with 13 as it's master and energy source) + there's a nice contrast between Unit 13 and 01, I "wunder" what that means.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”