Khara's lack of marketing of 3.0+1.0: a lack of respect?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Khara's lack of marketing of 3.0+1.0: a lack of respect?

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:54 am

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:Doubt? I thought Fate was way bigger.

Q had the 3x the opening weekend of latest Fate movie.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:23 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:Doubt? I thought Fate was way bigger.

I think it's definitely bigger as a franchise in the modern anime fandom, at least in the west. In Japan however, I think Eva is still a bigger draw at the box office. Fate is a bigger draw in the online gacha realm and various spinoffs.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:58 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Q had the 3x the opening weekend of latest Fate movie.

Theaters weren't operating at a reduced capacity when Q released.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:06 pm

The Fate franchise 2015 onwards has been bigger than Eva, largely due to having one of the highest grossing mobile games ever. Eva is much more mainstream on the animation side though.
Shin Eva's release won't be hindered by the pandemic as much as Doraemon/Pokemon, of course due to not having a primarily young audience. Films aimed moreso at adults like Fate HF, the Demon Slayer movie (whose current mainstream popularity is probably bigger than Eva's right now) and the multiple others releasing currently are doing or will do well still.
Movie's already been set for a date early next year though. Toho's release schedule for the rest of the year is filled up.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:34 pm

View Original Postgirlifyoudidnt wrote:Movie's already been set for a date early next year though. Toho's release schedule for the rest of the year is filled up.

This is what I'm talking about. Every big franchise already decided the release date, Shin Eva doesn't even have a YEAR for the release.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:30 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
What we have gotten is the equivalent of:
https://youtu.be/_0s4wouFl6E

What we will likely still get would be sonething like this:
https://youtu.be/qyfxQU53GVw

Notice how the trailers feature a piece of the movie soundtrack, as opposed to the next episode theme.
And to put it in simple terms, the trailer makes you feel that "It is happening". And I sure want it to happen at this point.

I also think the next Shin trailer will be longer than the 3.0 one, as there isn't (that we know) a crazy twist being hidden that could easily be given away simply by looking at the character design. The trailers for 2.0 and Shin Godzilla are close to what I expect.

Also, reminder of what the 3.0 trailer looked like when Anno didn't need to hide the 14 year time skip twist anymore (I think this was released like two days after the film...I would consider this a spoilery trailer, but only because it was released after the film and they made the time skip a secret. Other than that, this is a pretty standard trailer, not giving much away at all, with amazing editing.)
https://youtu.be/0bYPk_kpYkk

Obviously, we've seen less of Shin. Not in minutes of film, since we have Avant1, but we have less of a general idea of tone and those things.

But it will come. And even if it doesn't, the movie will.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:49 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Also, reminder of what the 3.0 trailer looked like when Anno didn't need to hide the 14 year time skip twist anymore (I think this was released like two days after the film...I would consider this a spoilery trailer, but only because it was released after the film and they made the time skip a secret. Other than that, this is a pretty standard trailer, not giving much away at all, with amazing editing.)
https://youtu.be/0bYPk_kpYkk

I agree. T-Joy (who, I think, had more control over the marketing of Eva Q, and it was their brilliant idea to conceal the the time skip from pre-release marketing) didn't release any of the more spoiler-filled marketing until after the film was released to theaters and the cat was out of the bag. There's a lot of post-release marketing we're naturally missing out on simply because Khara, Toho, and Toei aren't in the post-release stage of marketing yet.

Which, ya know, kinda works for me, actually. I'm gonna avoid all marketing and other Shin Eva news once the film is released until I can see the film for myself. I usually don't care about spoilers, but Eva is fun and I want to have fun with it, up to and including a certain degree of spoiler avoidance. I don't consider pre-release Eva marketing to be full of spoilers, but once that movie hits screens I'm gonna have to just stick my head in the sand until I can buy a ticket and see the film for myself.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:46 am

∆ Yeah, hiding the time skip was a genius idea. And I also follow thatrule, post film-release stuff I only look at once I have been able to see the film for myself.

But there is definitely more to come, it's just that since the release date is unknown, it's as if time had stopped for the marketing. And if it's true that Sagisu hasn't finished recording the soundtrack, maybe they don't have the music they'd use in a trailer.
Last edited by kuribo-04 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:42 am

Maybe they aren't marketing it because they're waiting for this whole pandemic to blow over before putting it in theaters.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:31 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Theaters weren't operating at a reduced capacity when Q released.

Still bigger than any other Fate movie by a big margin.

Also, this is precisely the reason why Shin will not release soon.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:54 pm

The movie would of came out just before the 2020 olympics in Tokyo, it would of been absolutely perfect from a marketing point of view.

That’s in ruins now. But I really believe that the film is not yet complete, production on various parts, especially the soundtrack had to grind to a halt.

The movie at least up until july was most likely incomplete and it’s probably contributing to the lack of a new release date

And for people really complaining about the lack of marketing with the final film,

Remember when the trailer for end of evangelion dropped and it was ambiguous as fuck. https://youtu.be/bXWNyHwryUo

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:12 am

Well, none knows what to do with movies when the cinema gets closed. I guess there is huge misunderstanding of the situation here. This is not just going to blow over. This might take decades. They should adapt. I mean, the previous EVA movies were mostly released in Japan accept 1.0 which got to some theathers worldwide. As we all know, this sadly didn't work.

So, where are the money that Khara is going to get? In the pockets of Otaku. They should design Khara online platform where they offer everything EVA. Use the time to finalize dub for as many languages as they can and then release it. Release it on the platform online for reasonable sum of money. Ship the DVD/BD worldwide and at the same time offer a reduced price of the DVD/BD for those who paid for it to see it online.

I know that EVA is huge in Japan and most of their money comes from their cinema release, but they could do this and after this is over they can have grand cinema opening. If the movie is good, people will go see it on big screen even after 2plus years after online release.

Their youtube free movie stunt was good idea but it should have been on Khara platform and for limited time just before the release of the movie there. Ohh and god pls bring back Tiff Grant for the English dub... not the Netflix garbage.

To sum it up... Its not Lack of respect. It is just lack of knowing what to do in this situation.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:54 am

View Original PostCaroline L.S. wrote:This is not just going to blow over. This might take decades.

Corona? No, it won't. It isn't the Black Death. It isn't even the spanish flu. It's a mildly more dangerous version of the common influenza that gets blown hugely out of proportions. Even if the mortality rate were to be as high as the crude mortality ratio (meaning, number of deaths divided by number of reported cases), which is 3-4%, that's 1 out of thirty people. If you know thirty people, one will die, the rest will live. Hardly the apocalypse this is made out to be. It will just blow over, just like the Spanish Flu blew over.

The cinemas are dying (slightly), but for other reasons, which mostly revolve around the greed of the studios, the generally shrinking median income of people and the convenience of streaming services, but that's a different topic.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:04 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:It's a mildly more dangerous version of the common influenza that gets blown hugely out of proportions.

By the WHO's current figures (using crude mortality), it's 30-40 times higher than seasonal flu. You may consider that mild, but I think it's worth being concerned about. Of course, I may be biased by the fact that I am in the demographic for which the disease is hugely more dangerous - I may be old, but curiously, I still care about my life.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:51 am

No, I understand the worry. My father is in the risk group, and I probably am as well because of previous complications. I didn't want to say that you shouldn't worry about it or be careless about this stuff, but at the same time, it isn't and automatic death sentence and needs to be put into perspective. There's no need to have state-imposed limits on freedom for decades, it is much more manageable and reasonable to raise peoples awarness and protect people at higher risk/have them protect themselves. Normal life doesn't have to end because of this.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Looks like TENET bombed , another bad sign for Shin releasing anytime soon.

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-offic ... 234767113/

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:25 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Looks like TENET bombed , another bad sign for Shin releasing anytime soon.

And Wonder Woman has been pushed back again. The film industry just doesn't appear to be financially viable for these sorts of movies yet. They spent a ton of money on them when the market was there, and now it isn't.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:49 pm

A Chris Nolan movie bombing? :bigeyes:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:13 pm

ShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:A Chris Nolan movie bombing? :bigeyes:

Enough people at Warner Brothers drank the Chris Nolan Kool-Aid that he’s this perfect genius who is never wrong so they stupidly pushed ahead with releasing a $225 million original sci-fi in the middle of a pandemic. People like his work. But not enough like his work to risk their lives or permanent organ damage for a movie. They’ll make some money off the international run but not much (like 30% of every ticket) and I’ll be surprised if they make $50 million in the US.
Honestly, fuck all involved.
Yeah it sucks their movie was destined for huge things and then life intervened but this pandemic has affected everyone. WB and Nolan’s “Things are fine. People will wear their mask for 150 minutes” was peak arrogance.

With the official Evangelion website also putting out info in Japanese and English (posters, etc) I’m sure they had high hopes for a lucrative theatrical run globally and in the US. That’s off the table for now.

Just adds to my belief the film is definitely delayed a full year to Summer 2021.

Will things be better by then? They certainly won’t be 100% but we’ll likely be six months into vaccines being available and they should be drastically improved.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:14 pm

Honestly, when things do get better and cinemas become safe, studios need to really hype the hell outta their movies. I know I'm in the demographic that will gladly sit in my favorite theater once this all blows over, but I do wonder how many people will happily fall out of habit of going to the cinemas even after the pandemic ends. Once people fall out of habit for something, it's hard to get them back into habit, you know? In that sense, I'm of the opinion that Tenet would have done less than stellar post pandemic without a major reconsidering of the marketing involved. The fact that they thought they could pull huge numbers during a pandemic on what were basically little farts of marketing here and there was very arrogant.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”