A New Challenger Has Appeared! (3+1's New Eva(s))

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Lamp Festival with Anno drawings

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:58 pm

I would assume a Mk. unit piloted by Rei Q's predecessor.

Fourth Impact is Seele's second attempt at making HIP happen their way; some details are different (because Seele is fixing a botched previous effort) but at the same time some details of their plan can be expected to repeat themselves. This can be used to reverse-engineer Seele's Third Impact machinery somewhat.

We know Seele want to accomplish the resurrection of Lilith. In Q, Eva-13 is seen internalizing Lilith's new purified body, regenerated through a Mk.6-12th Angel-Lilith fusion. So collecting Lilith's physical component was 13's responsibility. What about the spiritual component? Mk.9 handles that -- the true purpose of its invasion of Wunder's main engine is to retrieve Lilith's soul from Eva-01. It's implied it intended to do this using Rei Q's body as a sort of bait, after which it would have absorbed her -- see also Mari's warning to Rei -- and then merged with 13 to create Seele's True Evangelion.

Remember Gendo stressing the importance of awakening Eva-01 in 2.0? Reason it's so important is that her awakening seals Lilith's soul up inside a dangerous Eva, making it more difficult for Seele to act. At Third Impact, Seele would have needed to handle this problem, one way or another. We know that Mk.6 was down in Central Dogma, doing weird stuff with Lilith's body -- meaning it wasn't taking care of the "soul" problem, and putting it closer to Eva-13's role. So then, who was handling it? There's only one Eva truly unaccounted for, so we can fill in the blank pretty easily. It was the mysterious Mk.7.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:06 pm

The X head is really a simple yet recognizable (and cool) design, I love it.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:20 pm

I don't want to be a party pooper here, but how do we know this Eva is actually going to be in the movie? Maybe he just did a cool drawing for the festival.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:53 am

I did a colorized version for fun, based on Eva-01's coloration. This is assuming it's in a "non-awakened" state.

Please take a look; I swear it's cool.  SPOILER: Show

Based on conversations in the EGF Discord and thereabouts, here are some ideas, just for fun:
- The "X" loops around the sides of the head to create an infinity symbol.
- The central core of this Vessel is located in the head, rather than in its chest. (Remember the Third Angel? It has a Seele mark on its forehead, similar to Mk.10, and where is the core? Inside its head. Mk.9's core is similarly located behind a Seele mark.)
- When this baby starts to enter its more bad-ass form, the glowing green X / infinity on the "face" will turn red, and the head will open up into a giant mouth. (The purpose of this mouth? To harvest something, or someone, into its core.)
- At the point the head-core "activates" and the cross/infinity turns red, we get another reference to the Neo-Atlantis symbol as well. (See my Fuyutsuki thread if you have no idea why this is significant.)
- The "horn" on the top of the head is actually a reference to the "Eye Slugger" of Ultraseven. The form this takes on Mk.10 will be a combination of an eighth note and a stylized apple leaf.

Also, I speculated a bit on the significance of the mirrored Seele symbol over here, for anyone who is interested in that kind of thing.

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I don't want to be a party pooper here, but how do we know this Eva is actually going to be in the movie? Maybe he just did a cool drawing for the festival.

Every lantern Eva so far has appeared in the film it was identified with. So if you're going to suggest that this lantern is an exception, you need to have a good reason. Why would you think it's not in the movie? Just because it was "skipped" in Q? The Evas don't need to be shown off to us in serial order.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:51 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The Evas don't need to be shown off to us in serial order.

Yep. This is not a new pattern in these movies.
In 1.0, Eva-01 was introduced before 00 and unfinished Mark.06 was shown at the end of the movie.
In 2.0, Eva-05 was show before 02 and 03.
in 3.0, Eva-13 before Mark.10.

Shun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shun » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:01 am

Mk.9 in 3.0, Mk.10 and possibly Mk.11 and 12 in Shin... interesting perspective. Another backup from Seele to pursue the plan after they are deactivated in 3.0 for Lilith's resurrection? Or are these MKs exploited by Gendo for his plan, and they have no Seele program inside them?

@Reichu: since 10 read backwards is 01, could the colors of Mk.10 be the opposite of the colors of Eva-01? If you have time, you could try two more patterns:
* purple --> green, green --> purple, orange --> black, black --> orange.
* negative inversion of 01 coloration, something like this (I tried with Paint :lol: ):
SPOILER: Show
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
My articles about Evangelion
My Evangelion website

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:08 am

I can mess around more with the colors after I get sleep, but to answer this quickly:

View Original PostShun wrote:Mk.9 in 3.0, Mk.10 and possibly Mk.11 and 12 in Shin... interesting perspective. Another backup from Seele to pursue the plan after they are deactivated in 3.0 for Lilith's resurrection? Or are these MKs exploited by Gendo for his plan, and they have no Seele program inside them?

In my opinion, neither. Seele is off the game board, and Gendo will be "neutralized" early in Shin, leaving Fuyutsuki as the "Big Bad" of Shin, with the three remaining Vessels as his "generals" (or the next best thing in shogi terms, I suppose -- golden general, silver general, and ???). Fuyutsuki's plans would presumably deviate from both Seele's and Gendo's, and I think they might be used to make the deep past of NTE's universe truly relevant to the present. Check these out if you haven't; would love to know your opinion:

- Basic argument for Fuyutsuki going his own way in 3+1
- Fuyutsuki's actual motivations (references the mirrored Seele symbol on Mk.10)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:54 am

I might be reading too much into this, but...

Last edited by Electreel on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaZero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaZero » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 am

I'm not sure if this is probably related but the dummy plug has a couple X's on it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 am

View Original PostElectreel wrote:I might be reading too much into this, but...

I love the idea -- the visual design of the films is super dense and full of patterns, so making an attempt to search for them is great. In this particular case, it sticks out quite a bit that you count the pylons for 13, but not for the others. That on its own messes the whole thing up. This wouldn't work with, say, Mk.9 either. That thing has, what? At least 3 "V"s incorporated into its head design?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:24 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:In this particular case, it sticks out quite a bit that you count the pylons for 13, but not for the others.

Ah, but those are the crystal pylons. They're special :tongue:
That thing has, what? At least 3 "V"s incorporated into its head design?

Indeed. The "X" motif in Eva-13's design also extends to the four arms while they're outstretched and the two spears impaling it in a crisscross manner, so maybe it's not the best example.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:39 pm

That's wild, never noticed it lol. Maybeee it's just better we think it's the fans reading too much into things :D

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 pm

View Original PostElectreel wrote:Ah, but those are the crystal pylons. They're special :tongue:

Touche! It's an interesting observation you've made, and the visual design of NTE is crammed with Easter eggs, so it could well be intentional. I shall meditate upon this further. :thumbsup:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:36 am

Mark.10 horn does not count? If there is no two eye sockets in the helmet it's assumed that it's a roman numeral? :bigeyes:
Hey there! I am using EvaGeeks.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:32 am

Electreel wrote:Ah, but those are the crystal pylons. They're special :tongue:

Those are fascinating observations!

As for Mk.09, while I admit that it is a bit of a stretch;
In its true form, it has both 9 outwards points, marked in green, and on the face itself, nine downwards angles in pink
EDIT: Just as I hit send, something occured to me; disregard the outward ones on the chin, green 4 and 5; since those aren't really pointing up; the far better example would be the top of the head and the edge in the chin piece
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:07 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:As for Mk.09, while I admit that it is a bit of a stretch

Good catch!

How about this one?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Heh, interesting observation. Since trailer!08 was supposed to fill the role of 13, I'm inclined to believe it, Adams and all
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ShikinamiBogard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShikinamiBogard » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:59 pm

I don't know if this was posted here earlier but this make me a bad feeling
[url=https://postimg.cc/t7VDxd2j]Image[/url

:sniffle: :sniffle:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:46 pm

The films have included callbacks to the original MP Evas starting with 1.0. If any resemblance is intended, it doesn't mean that Mk.10 is going to literally be the MP Evas of 3+1, if that's what's being implied. In addition to the hints already posted that it's the Second Adams' Vessel and has some kind of connection to Eva-01, there is also this:

This is from the part of Fuyutsuki's expodump in Q that didn't make the final cut. I did my best to reconstruct what got hidden by the "missing number" sticker. The left hand column is the Rei's serial number, right hand is the Eva she was assigned to. (Rei Q's number being 6 is in the cut dialogue. Matching 7 to 7 is just intuition. Rei 00 is probably not really a "Rei" as such and instead refers to the weird facility, hence the "O.K" next to it. Both it and Rei 1 are sectioned off from the remaining lineup, interestingly.) There's so much information here that it probably deserves its own thread, but... me lazy. As for the topic at hand...

We can see at the end of the Rei lineup that there is "Infinity" pointing to what looks like a "JOIN" symbol with two circles around it. The script reveals that the Rei heads behind Fuyutsuki are part of a factory -- Rei heads are being mass produced. These being "Rei Infinity" gives me super bad vibes, considering the skulls in Central Dogma are also said by the script to belong to the Failures of Infinity, and they are obviously Lilin- rather than Eva-shaped. (This is not an accident, since unique non-Lilin skulls were designed for Seele, and these can't even be detected in a casual viewing!)

The mass-produced Rei are assigned NOT to Mk.10*, but to... I have no idea how one would pronounce "JOIN with two circles around it", so I'll just say JOIN for now to keep it simple. JOIN is pretty obviously our actual MP Evas, and if you think that this element got dropped and replaced with "lots of Mk.10", a version of the symbol actually does appear in Q on the Black Moon's surface.

This probably still won't be enough to lay the "10 = MP Eva" thing to rest, but a girl can only do so much, I suppose.

* (Mk.10 in fact seems to be currently missing an assignment altogether -- even though 11 and 12 already have pilots -- suggesting there is something unusual about it. Will the pilot be Rei 6 after her inevitable return to HQ? Will 13 get assigned to Eva 13 -- that feels pretty logical -- or will 13 instead get to pilot Mk.10? 6's preexisting importance makes either one possible IMO.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:52 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:a version of the symbol actually does appear in Q on the Black Moon's surface.

Wait, when and where in Q did we see those images?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”