Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:33 pm

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:
Evangelion 2022.

Also a nice even significant number to reopen the Olympics as well.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:50 am

Some days I just feel humanity will announce that Covid cannot be contained (which isn't untrue so far) and this quarantine'd life is the new normal - meaning movie theaters will need to be replaced with some method of digital pay per view that cannot be pirated. Which won't happen overnight. Personlly I'm doubtful this film comes out in 2021 unless they take a revenue loss and release it digitally.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:27 am

View Original PostStan wrote:Some days I just feel humanity will announce that Covid cannot be contained (which isn't untrue so far) and this quarantine'd life is the new normal - meaning movie theaters will need to be replaced with some method of digital pay per view that cannot be pirated. Which won't happen overnight. Personlly I'm doubtful this film comes out in 2021 unless they take a revenue loss and release it digitally.

Hey, I doubt that. The vaccine is still being distributed, just because COVID can't be contained overnight doesn't mean it's impossible. I'd say the second half of the year should be much more normal than the first.

Either way, I doubt that they'll wait for COVID to completely subside before releasing the movie. The virus didn't stop Demon Slayer, the only reason Eva is being postponed is because COVID numbers got too large.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:38 am

BusterMachine4 pretty much said it. Remember, this delay happened after they completed the movie, so it's pretty much ready to go. The states of emergency in the different Japanese prefectures are now scheduled to end between March 7 - 10, so the movie may release as early as March 8 (a month from now) to perhaps March 15. Unless there's a disastrous spike in cases and a further extension of the emergency periods, I don't think we have very long to wait.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:29 am

I'm sure we'll defeat Covid with the vaccines. It looks grim but there have been deadlier pandemics in the past. And here we were living normal lives last year. It'll come back.

I also think the film is coming real soon. Not the best decision. Obviously I'll be glad seeing the film ASAP, but...yeah.

I wonder what marketing will be like. I doubt more trailers are coming, but definitely TV spots.

Also I gotta be honest, with all the delays and stuff, even with trailers, it becomimg harder to believe there is an actual film. It's sad. I think actually watching the film will be pretty surreal.
Will I be able to emotionally handle it?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

bogdanblue
Embryo

Postby bogdanblue » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:49 am

As others have said, things have started to improve. The number of cases has been trending downwards for a couple of weeks now, plus with the arrival of vaccines and the end of winter things can only get better.

Also some prefectures such as Osaka may end the state of emergency as soon as next week. For Tokyo there needs to be 500 new cases a day for one week for the state of emergency to be lifted, right now the number of cases is at around 600.

I really believe that the state of emergency will be over at the start of March and we can expect the movie to be released in April.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:27 pm

Not really related to Shin Eva, but Godzilla vs. Kong is coming to Japanese theaters on May, meaning Toho is probably quite confident for the next three months.

Hopefully they've set a VERY DEFINITIVE ABSOLUTELY FINAL date too for Eva and waiting for the right time to announce it.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:55 pm

I hope the theatrical release is inside a month from the announcement. Don't gamble with even two or three months after. They probably wish they had dropped it on short notice in December.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:28 pm

For what it's worth, the Japanese government is openly talking about lifting the state of emergency earlier than expected. Not sure how to feel about that. I don't think Toho is going to release the movie as soon as it's over. They're going to want whatever date they pick to stick this time. Ending the emergency prematurely doesn't necessarily get us the movie faster. Or at least that's my thinking.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:31 pm

If we're to believe the staffs' words about the delay earlier last month, Khara were aware and anxious about the chances that the film won't make it to the late January release and sadly they were right. This tweet from December really hits different now. :sniffle: (It says "Shin Eva, please come out tomorrow", despite what GT might tell you)

I also have this idea of announcing the new date exactly 9 days away from release so they can continue the countdown from where it stopped. At this point people won't believe >30 days countdown anymore so I think that would be a nice PR move to ensure the audience that it's coming out REAL soon and gain back the trust.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 pm

What a mess...
Japan is better off than Germany, but still, I always insist the lockdown here should go on. Lifting prematurely just undoes all the sacrifice made.

And yes, like Hui said this might make the release more difficult.

Also, obviously Anno and folks are among the privileged in this situation. Guys are sure to make lots of money, whike others unfortunately are having tremendous financial issues. But I cann't help but identify with khara folks and feel really sorry for them. That this final film just had to coincide with this (probably some financial consequences too).

Though who knows, the film might be precisely what we need during such tough times and there's no better moment for it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby EscapismIsBad » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:50 pm

^^^
Let's stay positive all the way through the wait!
The movie hasn't been released in the previous release date because it isn't his time, we will surely know when the time will come, that's how the world works fortunately.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:34 am

Well, today was a bad day for me. Things keep spiraling out of control.

I hope when the film comes I'm in a place at least good enough to actually enjoy watching anything.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:23 am

I already accepted the postponements this a long time ago, so I'm fine, and I don't feel anxious about it (and I have problems with anxiety, I'm surprised at myself).
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:45 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:I already accepted the postponements this a long time ago, so I'm fine, and I don't feel anxious about it (and I have problems with anxiety, I'm surprised at myself).

I need that power.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:28 pm

^
That "power" you acquire with life experience. One day you'll have it, for sure.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:42 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:^
That "power" you acquire with life experience. One day you'll have it, for sure.

You're only one year older than Kuribo... :wink:

But seriously, I don't think age is a factor. I think it has more to do with how long you've been waiting. I'm 16, I only discovered the series last summer, and I'm completely fine with the delays. Kuribo is 24, saw 3.0 when it was released, and he's been having a hard time accepting the delays. It's just that people tend to get frustrated when they've been waiting for a long time.
Last edited by BusterMachine4 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:44 pm

I know, some experiences can be gained earlier by some and later by others. This varies from the turbulence that you went through during your life.
Edit: I said that based on me, it doesn't apply to everyone.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210208_03/
This news says “the Japanese government is considering whether to end the state of emergency amid the coronavirus pandemic in some areas before March 7”. I thought was entire Japan.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Yeah I think having watched it so long ago is really a factor lol. Like some years ago it still felt like 3.0 was a film I had watched for the first time a while ago. Now it's starting to feel like that happened in another life lol.

Gotta be strong.

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Chroma » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Now it's starting to feel like that happened in another life lol.

Q came out the year I was graduating high school, and at this point I've graduated college twice and gotten a real job. It really does feel like it was a lifetime ago.

But on the bright side, we know that Thrice is done, regardless of the fact that it hasn't released yet. That's gotta count for something, right? I'm sure we'll see it sooner, rather than later, and now we don't have to worry about whether it was being worked on the way, even a year ago, we might've doubted.

Stay strong, kuribo
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”