Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:58 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:There's likely hundreds of cases of filmmakers revisiting their old works again through years of experiences.
My favorite example of this is the weirdness with A Star is Born. The original 1937 version was (Arguably) a ripoff of the 1932 film What Prince Hollywood? that George Cukor directed, but then Cukor himself was assigned to direct the remake of A Star is Born with Judy Garland in the 50's.

I wonder how many other directors have had to remake a ripoff of their own work? :lol:

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:30 pm

There's likely hundreds of cases of filmmakers revisiting their old works again through years of experiences.

Yep. I feel like that's a very common thing. Not only in movies, but also other types of media.
I know that this comparison will sound lunatic (because it is hahaha). But, whatever. I've always seen the Rebuilds as products similar to Super Mario 64 DS.
That is to say, in both cases, the original work was used only as a basis to the new piece of media. In both cases, the team behind it wanted to implement ideas that were not possible to realize on their first try. In both cases, the new product is not seen as a definitive experience, but a new take on the previous idea. And so on...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:09 pm

Huh, somehow @The Killer of Heroes' Jerid avatar makes me think about what if Rebuild was something like the New Translation trilogy of Zeta Gundam. :lol:

I mean, the original plan for Rebuild wasn't that far off from New Translation, with the films being a trilogy of fairly straightforward condensed retelling/compilation of the TV show with an entirely new ending in the last one (remember, Q and FINAL were supposed to be two 45 minutes "films" merged into one). I think it'd be much harder for Rebuild to escape from NGE's shadows should that happens, like how New Translation is constantly denied of its existence by fans even thought Tomino himself insisted that it's not meant to replace the TV show but more of a what-if take, since the ending basically retconned ZZ, Char's Counterattack, and any UC entry that came after.

Instead what we get here is something that evolves from a slightly-altered retelling of NGE into a full-blown AU reimagining of Evangelion myth altogether, kind of something like the Escaflowne Movie or Eureka Seven: good night, sleep tight, young lovers, but Rebuild has the luxury of having multiple installments to tell its story and (re)build its world than cramming all the ideas into a 90-120 minutes film like what happened to those two titles above.

At least Rebuild is much more than just a trilogy of altered recap/compilation films but something with greater efforts being put into it, both in creativity and budgetary aspects. A recent curious example of "recap gone wrong" is probably Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution, that thing takes "disjointed" storytelling to an almost entirely new level. Trust me, it has to be seen to be believed.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Even Final Fantasy VII, which is arguably the Evangelion of Video Games in many ways enough to spawn a whole other thread, was revisited by its creators Kitase/Nojima/Nomura.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:17 pm

no argument.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:26 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:
At least Rebuild is much more than just a trilogy of altered recap/compilation films but something with greater efforts being put into it, both in creativity and budgetary aspects. A recent curious example of "recap gone wrong" is probably Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution, that thing takes "disjointed" storytelling to an almost entirely new level. Trust me, it has to be seen to be believed.

The original Eureka Seven is another one of my favorite anime series, gave it a rewatch this past summer and still love it.

As for High Evolution... I have seen it and even then I don't believe it. The entire time I was trying to figure out the thought process behind what the creators were trying to achieve because it utterly failed as a recap weather you were familiar with the show or a newbie. It was baffling.

Anyways, I personally think it just goes to show people should give Anno more credit than Star Wars comparisons, because he clearly puts a lot more effort into his work than some other anime remakes.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:53 am

^^^
All of the above, yes! A shame that it could've been the proper Rebuild of Eureka Seven to inject new life to this franchise, it's kind of tragic that I really like ES but anything that came after the original series is either meh (good night, sleep tight, young lovers) or downright terrible (Ao, Hi-Evo).

Anime is very prone to lazy milking with all these recap films we're getting, some are good (the original Gundam Movie Trilogy, GitS S.A.C. compilation duology) but most are either terribly done or highly unnecessary except for fast and cheap milking, there's also the weird stuff they did with Code Geass where they went as far as to release three recap films of R1/R2 with retcons here and there to justify the new Resurrection Movie's existence. If anything, the efforts put into Rebuild is a lot more commendable despite its troubled production and enormous delays, there's a clear creative passion behind every film.

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Line » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:14 pm

HUM! And when I think this movie would be out trhee days later! Pet me. :pet: Line-chan is sad. Impatient. And angry. *Pet all of you :huggles: *

Hum, jokes aside, outside of my negative emotions, I'm happy they decided to be safe from the covid, and I'm willing to wait more since it was just in september that's I discovered Evangelion, so it not gonna be long for me :)

Since my excitement for this movie is two lines connecting neatly togheter that's can be resumed as a overall feeling of "I don't care. I can life without this." to "Oh my, this is so exciting! What do that's mean in this trailer? What is it there? And there? What do that's mean?" you can then said that's I'm impatient, yes. But in fact, no. But in fact, yes. But in fact, kinda... I'm scared deeply inside to be dissapointed. Yes I know, I sound like a spoiled brat.
Ban me forever.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:38 pm

It has been a crazy ride for me too, with days of "ARGH! I can't wait anymore!" to "I hope everyone stays safe from the corona bug."

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Line » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:34 am

It's is not about the coronavirus for me. More like total disinsterest, to sparkling interest, sometime. That's it. It varie from week to week.
Ban me forever.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:47 am

Just to add fuel to the fire -- there's storied floating about suggesting the Olympics might be abandoned, though currently they are attracting government denial

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:56 am

I know I compared shin eva to no time to die in terms of multiple delays, while not resorting to a digital release before cinema release

Well they just announced that no time to die has been delayed again from this April until October 8th 2021

This is the third time it’s been moved and it’s 4th release date so currently its worse than shin eva lol :tongue:

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:13 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Just to add fuel to the fire -- there's storied floating about suggesting the Olympics might be abandoned, though currently they are attracting government denial

I am not surprise at all, I see several news in my country saying "increases the number of Japanese who oppose the Olympics this year", somethig like that. BTW, the tweet no longer exists.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:19 am

The IOC have just issued a statement dismissing this claim

Saying it is categorically untrue

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:05 am

I feel sorry for Japan. It seems that since 1991, whenever its economy is recovering, some external factors complicate the situation. There was the Great Recession of 2008, the disasters of 2011 and now the COVID-19 pandemic. "The lost decade" became "the lost three decades". If there are no Olympics this year, I hope they can organize them at another time.
Well, if you think about it, they are still the third largest economy in the world. So, I think there's not much to feel sorry for hahaha
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Pluto » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:36 pm

I just talked to a friend of mine who works in the theatre business in Tokyo. He speculates that from what he's heard at work, he's guessing a July release. I'm a bit more optimistic but he's a pretty reliable source and it's a conservative and reasonable estimate.

To be honest, I feel bad for the studio and the distributors who have spent and continued to spend a lot of money on promotion over the past year. For those who don't live in Japan, when a popular IP is released the marketing is everywhere. So when the marketing starts to ramp up, they already paid for the exposure ahead of time and still have to pay for the ads. Certainly for me, that's a good thing because it's enjoyable.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:48 pm

Summer is actually in the predicted range although I still wish for an earlier one like spring. But I won't be surprised if it ends up with the original late June date again just because.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:49 pm

With a TV spot out, I think the film is coming soon.
In fact I was surprised, I expected amy TV spot to be delayed with the film.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:55 pm

Pluto said that the ads including TV spots are already paid in advance so I guess that's why we still see them showing up even with a delayed release. Next week is 3.03" turn to air, let's hope for a meaningful update this time!

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:49 pm

"That day... the 23rd... Director Anno planned to release Evangelion 3.0+1.0. He wanted you to enjoy watching EVA fights and backstory, and to pog with your friends during the new Utada Hikaru track..."
"I will never... pog with anyone again."

This sucks man
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”