Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:31 pm

∆ I wasn't serious about the "believe" part because obviously I haven't seen the film.

But really, following these animators and staffs really help me to not go overboard with my venting on Twitter or anywhere else, as they usually tweet about their works from time to time and see the sheer passion they put into them.

Not saying they're critics-proof, but at least I have more than enough decency to not give them too much flak because they're just doing the job they were given. I don't need to tag them or replying their tweets in rude manner just because I want their attention. Seeing them hyping up their works is also just downright heartwarming, I'm glad that most fans I see are relatively supportive too.

In comparison, MAPPA staffs are really having a hard time with Attack on Titan: Final Season as the fans (mostly English-speaking one) are constantly attacking them for basically everything, an episode director even had to go private because of that. It's almost tragicomic at this point.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

khronos
Embryo

Postby khronos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:As Yamashita said, he really can't bring himself to say "Go see the film, everyone!" when people are being encouraged to not go outside for the time being. That's just basic human decency when people are literally dying and medical workers are working really hard to save them. It really is not worth dying or endangering other people's lives just for a film.

Just wanted to point out that the distribution of a movie is dependent on the decisions of many people, not only Anno (heck, don’t even know at this conjecture he has any say on it..)

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 pm

View Original PostintermediateO wrote:I think the earliest we might possibly hear any new information is with the Friday Roadshow broadcast of 3.0 on TV on tbe 29th. The lockdown is scheduled to end just over a week later, on the 7th, so they should probably have a good idea of whether the lockdown will really he ending then, or whether it looks like it will be extended.

everything depends on Toho and Anno's priorities if they want to prioritize profits then this movie could be delayed for months :D

Kendrix wrote:Well phukkk.

But all things considered it only increases my respect for them that they didn't power through with this once the situation radically worsened, they are choosing lives over money unlike so many these days.

It sucks now but history will vindicate it

Eva isn't being delayed because of that but to maximize profits. it's ok. :devil:

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 pm

So people know, the Japanese government has stated that the goal of the state of emergency was to reduce numbers to 500 a day in Tokyo. If they get that, the emergency will be lifted on the 7th.

However, even if they get that mark, I imagine the numbers will just spike again as soon as it's lifted, so it's tricky.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:44 pm

View Original Postkhronos wrote:Just wanted to point out that the distribution of a movie is dependent on the decisions of many people, not only Anno

I think the rest of my post also clearly mentioned about how the decision was obviously made by a lot of people based on a lot of factors, both morale and financial, while Anno being Khara's top dog surely has something to say too. Unless Toho pulled off a WB by announcing all of their distributed blockbusters will be available on HBO Max day-and-date and only notified the people involved mere 30 minutes before that, which becomes a massive scandal.

If anything, Yamashita and co.'s tweets imply that they've been made known of this decision at least a day before it was made public.

EDIT:
To add more, Hidenori Matsubara seems to share the same sentiment as Yamashita. He wanted to say "Go see it, everyone!" after watching the preview last month, but he couldn't because there's a new wave of Corona striking Japan and he might sound insensitive, so he only said "It's complete".

These people are fully aware of what's going on over there more than most of us in here.
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:51 pm

In an attempt to bring some optimism to this thread, remember, this is different from the previous delay and years of uncertainty. The film is done. It has been shown to people. When the time is right, it can rolled out pretty quickly I imagine.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:54 pm

While not certain, it wouldn't surprise me if all the parties involved have already agreed on a new, tentative release date. The fact that they're still promising it this year is uplifting.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Yeah, it's not like they can release the film before January because the film was still in production until late December. It really as simple as the set release date being so unfortunate.

It's also important to note that the staffs aren't being embargoed and are free to voice their reactions of their delay as soon as it was made public, some are a lot more honest with the "Yeah, we're dealing with that Corona again" attitude, that alone is more than enough to assure me that this is an agreement they made together than being held at gunpoint.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:21 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:kuribo-04: Ah, she did narration (as Shinji?) for this collaboration (I'd assume) called ZIP. I'm uncertain what it is, since all I know is WinZIP :tongue:

Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying!

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:The Fruit of Spoilers is held by Khara. The Fruit of Speculation is held by Man. Number One Eva Fan now possesses them both, and therefore becomes God.

This was good lol.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I strive to be like this random Twitter user posting on Khara's most recent delay announcement.

Yeah that's a 10/10 tweet.

I'm digging up something really old here lol:

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:- He continues to work on Eva but it is very difficult. When he looked at the past schedule he saw that the time between films is increasing, from two to three years, and joked that if this pattern holds up the next film could arrive four or maybe five or six years after Q!

View Original PostRay wrote:Well that's . . . Disconcerting. I really hope that's not the case. That would just be too long a wait for my case! I'll be out of college by then!
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:While not certain, it wouldn't surprise me if all the parties involved have already agreed on a new, tentative release date.

I would think they have several release dates in mind. They likely have one or more dates in mind for every month in the foreseeable future. This is a curious scenario since the movie is done. Finito. 100% complete. Ready to go whenever. The deciding factor is out of their hands and is all about how Japan is handling COVID.

I wouldn’t be surprised if once they decide situations are good enough regarding COVID that when they do announce the next release date there will be a very quick turn around from announcement to theatrical release. Weeks if not days separating the two. Not months.

So hypothetically if on April 1st they felt things were good enough regarding COVID the film could open and run in theaters long before the month of April is over.

We’re living in strange times. But the vaccines are strong and distribution has started. I’m hopeful for the future. We all just have to get through the next few difficult months.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:31 pm

"Mama! Mama! We're only one week away from the last Eva movie!"

Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:33 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:According to /a/ Apple music lists a new release date of March 3rd

I'm sincerely hoping that this is a genuine date. A late February release for the film sounds like a proper time if the situation gets considerably better like they expected come early next month. Long enough for things to recover and Khara and co. to relaunch the marketing, but not too long that the circumstances could suddenly get right on the verge of FUBAR again.
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:06 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:"Mama! Mama! We're only one week away from the last Eva movie!"

Jesus H. Christ, dude! :rofl:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:26 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:"Mama! Mama! We're only one week away from the last Eva movie!"

It wasn't a "feliz jueves" after all.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Settie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 pm

May sound weird but i can't help but feel a perverse sort of amusement from the whole situation, like these movies have put its characters through the ringer and having them make lemonade of shit lemons. Then comes reality with a 'hold my beer' moment and it's just delicious irony! :devil: We're all Shinji now.

Honestly i'm not that surprised this happened, everything was trending in the wrong direction for it to be released at the date announced. If there is a silver lining, and good one at that, is that the movie is finished, so it's just a matter of time now. If i waited 13 years for a proper Samurai Jack finale i can wait a little longer for eva.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:44 pm

so perf :devil:
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

RussianRiz
Adam

Postby RussianRiz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 pm

I've watched Evangelion in 2013, NTE also, and since then, among rewatches and more rewatches, I am waiting for this movie.

I really don't care Shin Eva's being delayed one more time.

I mean, look for the situation globally, the death tolls and all. We are in a delicate situation and unfortunately this type of entertainment is ultimately secondary right now. We'll have other things to care and spend our time until the movie is finally realeased. And when the time comes, I'll be glad it was at the right and best moment.

A poorly made realease would be economically disastrous, as well it would be for us, the fans. The movie of our lives (or a large part of it) in a troubled realease, like Nolan's Tenet? I would not like this type of controversy around the movie forever, the hype isn't worth it. So, I am fine with that (the delay). The movie will be great and will be there on right time.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:47 am

View Original PostSettie wrote: If i waited 13 years for a proper Samurai Jack finale i can wait a little longer for eva.

If the Samurai Jack finale was Gurren Lagann, then the Eva finale is NADIA CONFIRMED j/k
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 am

View Original PostRussianRiz wrote:The movie of our lives (or a large part of it) in a troubled realease, like Nolan's Tenet? I would not like this type of controversy around the movie forever, the hype isn't worth it. So, I am fine with that (the delay). The movie will be great and will be there on right time.

You must be young..... :D

And I expect something better than Tenet. At least, not starring replicants (save for Brannagh and Pattison).
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:19 am

Theoretically speaking? Purely theoretical cause I don't want this to happen. How bad would it have to get for Khara to just give up on releasing it in theaters altogether and just do a Digital release on a streaming service? Worst case scenario.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”