Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:28 pm

View Original PostPenPenSakura wrote:As for blaming the author/ companies, I blame them too. There are set timelines people are expected to keep to maintain audience goodwill. This is a classic case of snowballing effect due to poor planning.

Um, no? There's a pandemic and thousands on thousands of people are dying.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:35 pm

If safety is truly the ONLY concern then a digital release should not be off the table. No one’s saying there can’t be a theatrical run afterwards, when the world has GONE BACK TO NORMAL (it will eventually, period). This isn’t the 1950s anymore, people still go to the theaters to see movies that have released numerous times; I just saw Alien in theaters last week. Simply put, finances are a concern as well for Khara and Toho, and eventually they’re going to have to come to terms with that.

So they can go ahead and delay it, keep delaying it indefinitely if they want. It’ll just make the more obvious solutions all the more apparent. With all the good will the Japanese Twitter uses have, we’re still seeing comments like “I don’t even want to watch it anymore” and other such gut punches, and they can all do that so much.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

PenPenSakura
Embryo

Postby PenPenSakura » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:41 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Um, no? There's a pandemic and thousands on thousands of people are dying.

why I think it was a snow ball  SPOILER: Show
The movie will be written and produced by Hideaki Anno, who is most well known for his work on the Evangelion franchise and more recently, Shin Godzilla. Anno will be fully attached to the project after completing his work on Evangelion 3.0+1.0. Anno's long time partner and colleague Shinji Higuchi, who also directed Shin Godzilla, will be the movie's director.[4]

The first draft of the script was reportedly completed on Feburary 5th, 2019.[4]

Takumi Saito has been cast as the film's main character, who becomes Ultraman, and Masami Nagasawa has been cast as his partner.[5]

Additional cast members including Daiki Arioka, Akari Hayami, and Tetsuji Tanaka were later announced to have been added to the cast of the movie.[6][7]

On November 23, 2019, Director Shinji Higuchi announced at the 2nd Atami Kaiju Film Festival that filming for the movie has already been completed.[8]
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Shin_Ultraman

edit: If Khara focused more on 3.0+1.0, then the release wouldn't have been in a pandemic year.
Shin Ultra man is produced and written by Hideaki Anno. Shirgo Sagisu was the one who did/ working on the music. The film script was finished in Feb 2019 and finished filming in Nov 2019. Do you really think they wouldn't have finished Shin Eva before 2020/ meet the June 2020 date if they didn't work on another project other than Godzilla? This is why I mentioned audience goodwill. I don't care about Nadia, Shin Godzilla nor Shin Ultraman. But to put the "raison d'etre" for Khara's beginning on hold for other projects that were announced later rubs me wrong. And they delayed/procratinated all the way into the pandemic year. Do you really this was not a "dev hell" as they put it in the game dev industry? (Deus Ex vs Marvel Avengers)
Last edited by PenPenSakura on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:50 pm

^ The way I see it, we probably wouldn’t have a Shin Eva to look forward to if it wasn’t for Shin Godzilla, and NTE actually would have become an orphaned series. I’ve been in a few creative burnouts, and the absolute best thing to do there is do something else entirely for a change of pace. From what Anno has said about his predicament, it sounds like he needed Shin Goji to help finished Shin Eva.

PenPenSakura
Embryo

Postby PenPenSakura » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:53 pm

I'm putting most of the blame on Shin Ultraman. Script was 2019, filmed in 2019. Are you saying that work didn't take away time from 3.0+1.0's production? We know that music recording for NTE was not finished until the 2020. Audio recording was not until November 2020.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 pm

People, are you incapable of comprehending the fact that Anno is an artist who wants to make great works and has an actual life of his own besides? Do you want to get yet another cookie-cuttered, rushed-through simple entertainment vehicle that will satisfy you and you will have forgotten the moment you've stepped out of the theater? I'm sorry if I sound angry or arrogant or like an asshole, but let's just point out, please, that Anno has precisely zero real obligation to do anything and this talk about how he should just have gone on through a serious depression and sense of fatigue to give a bunch of fans, who are arrogant enough to request he do this and get incensed when he does not, talking about how he has to "meet his expectations", as if art is nothing but a product to be consumed, another film, which will most likely not meet his high expectations and put his mental health into further jeopardy, is just arrogance and narcissism, at the end of the day.

So, please, let's stop this pointless discussion about how evil Anno is and just call it a day.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Tajai » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Ive shed my useless tears, so now I'm a little bit more rational to give my thoughts on this whole thing.

Shit happens, you know? Life goes on. We'll see this movie eventually, just give it time.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

khronos
Embryo

Postby khronos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:13 pm

View Original PostPenPenSakura wrote:
View Original Postpwhodges#906711 wrote:Um, no? There's a pandemic and thousands on thousands of people are dying.

why I think it was a snow ball  SPOILER: Show
The movie will be written and produced by Hideaki Anno, who is most well known for his work on the Evangelion franchise and more recently, Shin Godzilla. Anno will be fully attached to the project after completing his work on Evangelion 3.0+1.0. Anno's long time partner and colleague Shinji Higuchi, who also directed Shin Godzilla, will be the movie's director.[4]

The first draft of the script was reportedly completed on Feburary 5th, 2019.[4]

Takumi Saito has been cast as the film's main character, who becomes Ultraman, and Masami Nagasawa has been cast as his partner.[5]

Additional cast members including Daiki Arioka, Akari Hayami, and Tetsuji Tanaka were later announced to have been added to the cast of the movie.[6][7]

On November 23, 2019, Director Shinji Higuchi announced at the 2nd Atami Kaiju Film Festival that filming for the movie has already been completed.[8]
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Shin_Ultraman

edit: If Khara focused more on 3.0+1.0, then the release wouldn't have been in a pandemic year.
Shin Ultra man is produced and written by Hideaki Anno. Shirgo Sagisu was the one who did/ working on the music. The film script was finished in Feb 2019 and finished filming in Nov 2019. Do you really think they wouldn't have finished Shin Eva before 2020/ meet the June 2020 date if they didn't work on another project other than Godzilla? This is why I mentioned audience goodwill. I don't care about Nadia, Shin Godzilla nor Shin Ultraman. But to put the "raison d'etre" for Khara's beginning on hold for other projects that were announced later rubs me wrong. And they delayed/procratinated all the way into the pandemic year. Do you really this was not a "dev hell" as they put it in the game dev industry? (Deus Ex vs Marvel Avengers)

It was pretty obvious to me that Khara/Anno wanted to release Shin Eva during the olympics games, but the pandemic messed up this big opportunity for them to achieve a greater number of public.

PenPenSakura
Embryo

Postby PenPenSakura » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Shit does happen. No one owes me anything.

Haha as for the Olympic timing :facepalm: There was a release promo for 2019 too >.> so much for that tease.

I'm out. Good luck peeps~

intermediateO
Lilith

Postby intermediateO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:21 pm

Just gonna say it. Anyone here who is dumb enough to think that Anno is blameless can enjoy to continue sucking on his boots.

That mf-er could have delayed 3.333 and Revival of Evangelion, but he didn't. He showed both during the state of emergency for a full week, all the while still advertising Shin Eva for the 23rd. 3.333 is literally still scheduled up until the day Shin Eva was supposed to come out. So it's just magically safe to go see 3.333 but not Shin Eva?

And f off with your "he doesn't owe us anything" bs.
You didn't legally owe any of your classmates or teachers respect and truthfulness, but if you were a lying little brat who never did your schoolwork, well that woulda still made you an a-hole, wouldn't it?

Do some of you people really not understand the basic concepts of honesty, integrity, and not being an obvious hypocrite?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:24 pm

How dare Khara and Anno not account for the Covid pandemic in 2020! Incompetent pricks, am I right?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:25 pm

In any case, it's probably some nameless Toho exec making the decisions about distribution, and not the director.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:28 pm

Just wanted to share the seiyuu (Shinji, Misato, Asuka) advising everyone to keep safe so we can all enjoy the movie once life's back to normal. Honestly, because Toei and Toho backed Khara as much as they did, I can completely understand wanting to delay for marketing reasons. Why promote during an extended state of emergency, when the population's advised not to head out unless it's absolutely vital?

Yamashita:

"Shin Eva has been completed. It won't run away anymore. So please keep yourself, your family, and friends safe by steering clear (running away) from COVID until we can safely screen this."

"Strange beings (COVID-19) are attacking us. If you're going through a fire, you've got to brush away the embers, of course!" ( :lol: )

Ogata-san and Staff wish to send their customers light by ensuring everyone's safety first and foremost. She's a bit player in the entertainment world, to put it in her own words.

Mitsuishi-san apologizing as well as explaining how the Staff made the judgement that seems best due to Coronavirus. (How very Misato of her.) Personally, I wonder if Sailormoon Crystal Eternal: Part 2 will be postponed again, too?

Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:33 pm

Four people I know have died from Covid-19.

And three other people I know had a real tough go of it and are still suffering after effects from it months later.
No movie is worth anyone dying for.

Japan is about to be in real trouble if they don’t do the right thing and lockdown.
This is not the right time for a blockbuster.
Whoever made the choice to delay made the right decision.
The mistake of waiting so close until release.

Being upset is fine. Calling people names or accusing the artists of being jerks is ridiculous. We’re all better than that. People are dying. People will continue to die for a long LONG time.

Social distancing, masks and taking unnecessary risks is the only way to get through this until vaccinations have slowed the virus down.

It’s a movie. It’s easily the movie I have anticipated the most in my entire life.

It’s still not worth ONE person dying.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby EscapismIsBad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:Ive shed my useless tears, so now I'm a little bit more rational to give my thoughts on this whole thing.

Shit happens, you know? Life goes on. We'll see this movie eventually, just give it time.

Yeah, I agree completely, as Rebuild once said "life is a one-two punch" and afterall the important is to have fun! I don't understand how some people can be so immature and childish about this franchise, just grow up and learn how to world works! It isn't like Mari has directly said this in the movies is it? I thought she was worthless fanservice character made for cash grab!!!
Last edited by EscapismIsBad on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Tajai » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Just wanted to share the seiyuu (Shinji, Misato, Asuka) advising everyone to keep safe so we can all enjoy the movie once life's back to normal.

Friends, we will prevail. Our hopes for this movie won't and cannot be scattered across a heartless sea. Times are rough for everybody right now, and we must look ahead and keep on moving forward.

God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

intermediateO
Lilith

Postby intermediateO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:44 pm

Some people in this forum obviously lack reading comprehension.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:46 pm

View Original PostintermediateO wrote:Some people in this forum obviously lack reading comprehension.

What is that supposed to mean? I'm genuinely asking, I have no clue.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm

People, let's calm this down a bit, okay? This is meant to be a place for discussion and talk, not juveline rants of an angry, "fuck-off", "I'm-so-right" style, where the discussion veers off into angry, spiteful talk. This kind of behavior is unacceptable in this forum. Keep it cool, people.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Posting this here as no-one seems to have read, marked and inwardly digested it yet --

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Just a :ruru: reminder -- Actively contribute to threads.

This includes not feeding the trolls, not touching the poop, and not posting while annoyed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”