3.0+1.0's Troll Potential

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
intermediateO
Lilith

Re: 3.0+1.0's Troll Potential

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:20 pm

After the drop of the full trailer, I would just like to point out the the cg and choreography in the Eva 01 vs Eva 13 shot is extremely bad and sus, and in my honest opinion, on par with the shoddy preliminary placeholder cg we saw in the Q tv next-time preview and the Shin next-time preview with Unit 8+2. And both of those shots were completely scrapped.

I will not be surprised at all if the shot is not actually in Shin Eva.

I will not be surprised if most of the stuff in the previews are not actually in Shin Eva.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:42 pm

The weird CG in the Eva-01 vs Eva-13 fight might simply be a crude preliminary version of the CG put into the trailer ahead of the finished version, so we may see the shot after all, but in a much better-looking form.

Also, as pointed out in the thread discussing the trailer, the real trickery would involve the backgrounds, since so many of the backgrounds in the trailer appear to be a featureless red gradient and reveal little of when those scenes are happening. Rather than having none of them appear, count on most of those shots appearing with completely different backgrounds.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:59 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:The weird CG in the Eva-01 vs Eva-13 fight might simply be a crude preliminary version of the CG put into the trailer ahead of the finished version, so we may see the shot after all, but in a much better-looking form.

I thought the movie was supposed to be finished though. If they put in an unfinished version of the shot even after the movie was finished already, that would be weird.
Also, as pointed out in the thread discussing the trailer, the real trickery would involve the backgrounds, since so many of the backgrounds in the trailer appear to be a featureless red gradient and reveal little of when those scenes are happening. Rather than having none of them appear, count on most of those shots appearing with completely different backgrounds.

That could definitely be possible, especially with the "featureless red gradient" shots: a similar gradient was used in 1.0's trailer to hide Lilith's appearance. I imagine that there could be two or more distinct scenes going on there, and whatever is going on in the background is such a big spoiler that they had to replace it with red.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:49 pm

Like others have said, background play a large tool in making sure CGI looks good in movies like this, but the other aspect of it is style and pacing as well. Eva 2.22 has animation styles all over the place, starting with CGI Eva Battles in the beginning, and slowly becoming more traditionally animated towards the end. While watching the movie itself, the jump from one style to another isn't quite that noticeable because the scenes are spaced out throughout the film. In a trailer, however, each featured scene is juxtaposed with all of the other ones, and the differences between them become more apparent.

I personally love how the CGI in the Preview at the end of Eva Q and in the Shin Eva trailer looks like motion capture of stunt actors from old Japanese special effects movies. There's a lot of Ultraman vibes from those shots that I'm really digging. But I agree that it could be implemented a little better, so we'll see how the movie looks when its actually released.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:09 pm

The shot of Eva-13 slowly moving upward has a strong mo-cap feel to it, and makes it all the creepier.

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:If they put in an unfinished version of the shot even after the movie was finished already

Ah, but who's to say that the trailer wasn't finished by another team in advance of the movie's actual completion, and so used unfinished assets?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:18 pm

I think it's already mentioned several times by everyone about khara's history of changing or omitting backgrounds and objects (e.g. DSS Choker) in trailers to hide crucial informations. The ones that I noticed for Shin Eva are these:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:A lot of shots in the trailers like a fully restored Tokyo-III and blue sky backgrounds look very placeholderish for me. The same goes to these shots, both of them used the same generic blue-white background.

I have to agree that it's weird for them to use an incomplete footage for the trailer's money shot, maybe the actual background is just way too spoilery for a pre-release preview so they only give those unfinished footages to whoever edited the trailer, but I'm also not sure if khara did the trailers by themselves or have a third party doing them like Hollywood.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:27 pm

The final spoken line of the film will be Asuka saying

kimochi warui

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:30 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:The final spoken line of the film will be Asuka saying

kimochi warui

No, it'll be Shinji this time, because it rhymes.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:39 am

I began to believe that Anno in these nine years may have decided to slightly change the plot of 3.0 + 1.0 I mean in the storyboards of 2.0 we were shown that there was only one Adam who has dirtied the moon with his blood, and if not I'm wrong Rei had to die in that film ... Possible that trailers and previews are often trolls because Anno decides to change some aspects of the plot while the films were still in production ... Eva 02 + 08 had even received the her action figure but now unless the film holds a few more surprises both she and the MPE she was fighting are gone ...

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:46 am

There were always four Adams in NTE, not sure what you're talking about there. I'm also fairly convinced that 8+2 is still going to happen, even if it might look differently
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:03 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:I began to believe that Anno in these nine years may have decided to slightly change the plot of 3.0 + 1.0

Well, he definitely didn't know how Rebuild was gonna end in 2018, cause Megumi Ogata said he straight up presented her with two endings and asked her what she would do if she were actually Shinji. And they've apparently been working towards wrapping everything up neatly since then.
Last edited by intermediateO on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:06 am

I hope that's just a troll and that Anno wouldn't actually depend on somebody else to determine the ending to his brainchild.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:21 am

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I hope that's just a troll and that Anno wouldn't actually depend on somebody else to determine the ending to his brainchild.

And who knows ... Maybe he wrote several endings and then discussed with his colleagues asking their opinion on which was the most suitable ending to conclude the story.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:31 am

I remember when David Tennant left doctor who and his last words were I don’t want to go,

Then when he returned in the 50th anniversary his last words then were I don’t want to go lol

Would be a massive troll if Asuka said the final line and it was the same final line as eoe

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:32 am

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I hope that's just a troll and that Anno wouldn't actually depend on somebody else to determine the ending to his brainchild.

Well, as the previous person mentioned too, the original plan that Anno had for 2.0 was to end it with Rei's death. The ending that we actually got with Rei instead being saved, was basically completely made up at the last minute by Yoji Enokido, someone who was completely uninvolved in 1.0.

Definitely one of the most frustrating things about the Rebuilds is that it is very obviously a patchwork of pre-planned elements and off-the-cuff elements.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 am

^ True, but execution is key, and I don't think Anno is sacrificing any of his overall artistic goals by allowing these more off-the-cuff ideas into his movies. Anno knows exactly what he wants to say with these movies, he just might ask his colleges about the best way to say it from time to time.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:35 am

^ Just like the original series then. :D

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:46 am

:lol: Well, that's what I like about Anno. He really doesn't have his head up his ass like so many other popular directors do. He's willing to ask others their opinions and such. It results in clarity where there once wasn't, at the very least.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:51 pm

It seems pretty clear that this picture is an Asuka toddler. It would be good to get some more perspective on Asuka's history since she seems to be quite miserable in the photo and this might relate later on in 2.22 her own hedgehog dilemma and 'always being alone'.

However, it would be interesting to just throw out some crazy theories before the release of the movie so that I can laugh about it later. What if (and please don't take this seriously) that is not Asuka herself (her hair seems to be slightly less brown than here), but her daughter? Before you accuse me of shipping, my theory comes from the ending of the Evangelion manga, which I will surmise below. It mostly has to do with there being snow in the manga and in the trailer, which I assume is a symbol for renewal and fresh start.

SPOILER: Show
After the events of instrumentality, Shinji and Asuka return to the world and continue living their lives without any recollection of the previous events. Shinji is seen traveling in a snowy countryside on his way to attend college entrance exams, where he bumps into Asuka again before they go on their separate ways.

Now what if the endings for the manga and with EoE were combined in some way, so that we see Asuka and Shinji together again, but rather being abandoned and left in an awkward state as in EoE or in the manga, there was some continuation in their relationship, even to the point where we see them starting a family together (to resolve their own life-time loneliness). This would be a more fitting typical non-controversial ending if that is what the creators are going for this time round
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:04 pm

For a story I'm writing

SPOILER: Show
I have fun theory that like Instrumentality is a giant orgy and new souls are being created continously through the hookups and making Guf full again.
Using the idea of simulation theory and what is said about what is needed for souls to break free from it, I have some of the kids show up in reality.

But what I think is happening in this image is they're having a flashback to her training in Germany.

Also ha! She looks like the doll she had in 2.0
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”