3.0+1.0's Troll Potential

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kid
Embryo

Re: 3.0+1.0's Troll Potential

•      
  •      

Postby Kid » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:02 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Troll the people frothing at the mouth for an NGE sequel by implying it was an NGE prequel the whole time. (Blame goes to Lavinius for this idea.)

View Original PostintermediateO wrote:Prequel Theory is galaxy brain. We were the FAR all along.

Wait, is Prequel Theory really considered a troll outcome?
Ever since seeing 3.0 in 2012 I felt it was the most likely to be true out of all the -equel Theories

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 am

It's a sequel prequel within a timeloop that happens in concurrency.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:25 am

I'm sure I've come across the Battlestar Galactica version of this theory before - that NTE is a prequel and that "All of this has happened before and will happen again, so say we all..."

Perhaps instead of a Galactica ending, we get the Game of Thrones ending. The Dragons (Evangelions) are all destroyed or sent far away and prince Shinji is crowned the new King of the Lilin!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:31 am

^
The beginning of the end is the end of the beginning ad infinitum.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:54 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Perhaps instead of a Galactica ending, we get the Game of Thrones ending.

... y u do this to me?

I think the GoT equivalent would look like this:
Shinji -> John Snow. Gets exiled to Nerv Headquarters.
Rei -> Sansa. Becomes Queen of WILLE-North
Misato -> Daeneris. Goes insane and murders everybody, is killed by Shinji
Pen-Pen -> Bran. Becomes King of WILLEsteros
Asuka -> Arya. Sails the seven seas in search of booty and and adventures, yarrrr
Gendo -> Jamie. Gets crushed under rubble after reuniting with Yui.
Toji -> Bronn. Becomes Minister of Finance.
Mari -> Ehh ... just continues to revel in the smell of people, I guess.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Title card in the middle of the movie reads “The True Final Impact Was The Friends We Made Alone The Way.”

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:15 pm

I believe you mean "The half of our friends that we lost along the way"

:rimshot:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:37 am

In Shin Evangelion, the name of the lead Seele figure is revealed NOT to be Keel Lorenz, but Goro Maki. (Goro Maki will then go on to appear in Shin Ultraman.)

Also, google search the amount of kaiju movies that the character Goro Maki has been in, it's kinda wild.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:27 am

That's an..... interesting detail. Honestly, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Anno sneaking that name in somewhere
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:36 am

The fact that Heisei Godzilla and Shin Godzilla own part of their cast list to Son of Godzilla is one of those crazy details that makes fandoms worth having.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:11 pm

The movie:
- includes a scene that builds up to look like the infamous hospital scene in the original movies, only for the squicky bit to either not happen or turn out to be something else altogether (either innocent or psychologically really disturbing).
SPOILER: Show
Or it ends with Shinji molting into Shin-Shinji while he bleeds LCL ebola-infection-style.

- reveals that everything that happened until now is merely a allegorical retelling of one of Anno's psych sessions.
- ends on a scene implying that everything that happened was Asuka playing with her doll in a mental asylum after she suffered Eva's Curse and went mad.
- shows Mari was a huge fan of the original Evangelion who got a bit too much into writing some Mary Sue fanfiction. :tongue:
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:14 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:- ends on a scene implying that everything that happened was Asuka playing with her doll in a mental asylum after she suffered Eva's Curse and went mad.

Alternate version, Shin Eva cuts back to the scene in 2.22 where Asuka is playing with the doll on her bed. The last half of 2.22 and all of 3.33 and Shin were all her playing out different hypothetical scenarios the decisions she'll possibly make as an Eva Pilot in Japan.

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:12 pm

I've been thinking recently how trolly it would be if we get a time travel scene where Shinji goes back to 2nd impact and meets 14 year old Misato.

PS- Everyone's posts have been great to read.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:49 pm

I've had the thought that maybe the story will end with the Earth's state not fullt recivered, or recovered at all, which depending on the story that will be told could be fitting. But I'm sure some Eva fans would find a way to see it as "trolling" that there are loose ends after 8 years.

Also, every single mistake characters make will be seen as trolling/bad writing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:22 pm

Been thinking...

What if the Wunder is also capable of space travel now and acts as an ark they use to abandon Earth. (It would parallel what the FAR did.)

Mihrdat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mihrdat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:30 am

I won't be surprised if Shinji turns into an Evangelion and fights Gendo in the form of an Eva-dragon in the end.

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:05 am

Hmm...

Seeing that they used Asuka's Shin plugsuit design in the second trailer, the one with the black shoulders, I wonder how exactly they are gonna handle adressing it at the beginning of the film if the trailer shots aren't just false bait. If they don't change it back to the white shoulders she had at the end of 3.0, I think it'll be the first case of a confirmable retcon between movies. (I guess they could maybe make an excuse that the plugsuits have future tech and can change color, though that would definitely feel like a retcon too.)

Or, it could just be a that the trailer shots really are just trolling us again.

Shun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shun » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:29 am

^
About this, are there any other "mistakes" from one film to another? For example, some signs on the Eva, or in clothes, or at home ...
Because if these weren't mistakes, these could be clues to something else.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
My articles about Evangelion
My Evangelion website

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:53 am

View Original PostShun wrote:^
About this, are there any other "mistakes" from one film to another? For example, some signs on the Eva, or in clothes, or at home ...
Because if these weren't mistakes, these could be clues to something else.

I was thinking the same thing.
BUT, I don't think there's ever been an in-movie change like that. The closest thing to it is some design and shot changes from the 2.0 preview at the end of 1.0, but no inconsistencies I can think of in the movies proper.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 am

When Asuka opens the hatch on Shinji's plug at the end of Q, we can hear that she's winded, as if she rushed to get there and see how he was. Having confirmed his safety, she might now return to her plug (before it is fully converted to core) to take care of any unfinished business there. Here, she could swap out for a spare plugsuit, which would also provide an opportunity for Shinji and the audience to see that Asuka herself is wearing a DSS choker and yes, Shinjj, you really are an insufferable brat who needs to get the fuck over himself.

Or her plugsuit is made of a material that can change its color at the pilot's whim, I dunno.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”