Release Date: January 23, 2021 [DELAYED]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: Release Date: June 27, 2020 (Delayed)

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:46 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:That's it people. 27th has passed in Japan, with nothing new under the sun.

What an incredibly tone-deaf decision from Khara.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:55 am

I'd hardly call not pandering to baseless speculation "incredibly tone-deaf"
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:07 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I'd hardly call not pandering to baseless speculation "incredibly tone-deaf"

I'd hardly call at least acknowledging the date your movie was originally supposed to release as "baseless".

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:24 pm

I'm actually happy it's not releasing right now, strangely enough. I was patiently anxious 4 months ago. Right now with everything that's going on I think it would just wreck us all.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:36 pm

The lack of any news announcement for Thrice Upon A Time on the 27th does make me think the film's delay will be more significant than just a couple of months. This is the first time Khara hasn't made a set in concrete date - this movie is out on June 27th - which is a lot different than missing a vague loose "maybe here" period - the movie "might" be out next year.

I could be wrong but I feel Khara, Toho & Toei are really attached to the idea of 3.0+1.0 being a huge (and likely #1 of the year in Japan) summer blockbuster.

Though to be honest, I'm a little bias because if the film is delayed to Summer 2021 then there's a higher possibility things will be in order for me to travel to Japan and see it there as I was planning to do this Summer before all this **waves arms at the world**.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:03 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I'd hardly call at least acknowledging the date your movie was originally supposed to release as "baseless".

Thing is, Khara at no point as much as hinted at anything being announced today; all of this was just wishful thinking, as with any of the other arbitrarily picked dates in the last year that at some point had something to do with Eva.
Remember how people made a huge deal out of every single concrete date ever set in the entire franchise last year and it was all for naught?

My point is, every single one on here at this point should know better than convincing themselves that this date is oh so important to the mythos that Khara can't possibly not announce something on it, and then afterwards get angry when nothing happens even when there was no indication that anything would happen
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:33 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Thing is, Khara at no point as much as hinted at anything being announced today; all of this was just wishful thinking, as with any of the other arbitrarily picked dates in the last year that at some point had something to do with Eva.
Remember how people made a huge deal out of every single concrete date ever set in the entire franchise last year and it was all for naught?

Interview with Yamaga and Sadamoto wrote: I see, since you know, fans tend to read deep into that kind of thing.

Yamaga: Yeah, particularly on Evangelion. They think every little detail has a meaning. (laugh)

- https://wavemotioncannon.com/2017/02/21 ... mber-2016/

The Devilish Cartoon-Making Men laugh at us and our silly illusions.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:35 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Thing is, Khara at no point as much as hinted at anything being announced today; all of this was just wishful thinking, as with any of the other arbitrarily picked dates in the last year that at some point had something to do with Eva.

My point is, every single one on here at this point should know better than convincing themselves that this date is oh so important to the mythos that Khara can't possibly not announce something on it, and then afterwards get angry when nothing happens even when there was no indication that anything would happen

There's no "mythos" surrounding yesterday, and it certainly isn't arbitrary. There's only a fact around this date: 3.0+1.0 should have been released yesterday; that is a big deal. And it's not just us here on this forum as we saw from Japanese Twitter, there was a huge expectation for some kind of acknowledgment at the very least from Khara mentioning that fact. I would've taken just another post on their blog going "Hey, movie should have came out today. We're still working hard on it! Love ya champs" Literally anything other than just radio silence on the topic of this movie. If they want to push it back next year, they could have also just said "Expect some real info end of Fall" or around Christmas, or the first quarter of next year, or two years from now to be realistic (that's a joke).

I find it odd how we can have numerous threads in the last eight years with 20+ pages of debating the quality of the content of these movies with such volatile vigor, but when it comes to debating the quality of their handling on giving out information/news to their fans, such criticism is near non-existent. I admit I wasn't around for 1.0 or 2.0's advertising, but I was around for 3.0; and I have to say, the eight year drip feed of literal crumbs of info for this movie is incredibly poor in comparison (and at the time, we thought 3.0's lack of info was as worse as it could get). Several of these years you could make an argument that the movie was just straight up canceled and that Khara only continued advertising Eva because they owned the IP and they didn't want fans tearing their building down. I can understand wanting to show full support of company that makes a work of art as unique as Eva, but even the best companies in the world are prone to bad PR moments.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:40 pm

I don't know if it's bad PR. I have said before myself that I don't think that right now more casual fans would care that much. Though that most likely will easily change when "real marketing" starts. And maybe they just don't care right now.
It's a little odd, but as much as I am desperate for any news they probably don't need that right now. I personally wouldn't be a fan of no trailer at all till the release, but I don't think that'll happen.

We have july though, I'd say it's pretty likely we'll get something in keeping with the tradition. Though it's something that would have been decided in recent months.

I still can't believe how unlucky this movie got. I would still be for a digital release, but I think it really does 't seem like they want that. In that case next year (...or after) seems reasonable, though still somehow utterly insane.

I guess a posotive thing about this is....we WILL see the film one day. It actually exists.

SPOILER: Show
To be honest, as much as I think it's stupid,
I can't avoid feeling almost entitled to this movie. Not a rational thought, one that I reject. But it kinda feels like that. "Come on, I have so much love for this franchise. Give me the film. I need it." When I finally see it I might actually explode or something.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Somewhat unrelated, but...
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... re/.150977
Did we ever hear the results from this contest? I am somewhat curious to know who won.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:04 am

Less than a rumor, probably means absolutely nothing, but here it is anyway...

EDIT: Japanese movies are always released on a Friday or Saturday, and Dec 31st is a Thursday. Also, the last day of the year might simply be the default placeholder date for anything destined to come out the next year. If this confirmed anything, it's that Shin Eva will be delayed until 2021 for sure.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:33 am

Nah, it's clearly a default date, like 01/01/2030 on Amazon when a product it's just announced.
Courious that it doesn't have a TBA option.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:03 am

Yeah, that’s certainly just a placeholder that means nothing.
It’s some code way of saying “MAYBE it will come out this year”.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Most likely a placeholder. If I had to hazard a guess for a new date I'd say Summer 2021. By then, we'd probably already have a fully functional vaccine.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:57 pm

So what normally happens on evageeks when these movies are released in Japan? Do we manage to get our hands on spoilers/synopses pretty quickly? Do we lose our collective minds? Do we hunt down camrips?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:25 pm

There will likely be a subforum dedicated for spoiler discussions, and any spoilers outside this area will cause the staff to descend on the culprit like a ton of bricks.

Forum policy is not to allow publicly asking or helping with regard to the acquisition of illegal copies of anything.

Discussions following the release of the last two films got pretty intense. Whether that will be the same again depends to some extent on how far the forum has been replaced in people's minds by other social media.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:54 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:So what normally happens on evageeks when these movies are released in Japan?

This is what happened when Q came out -- thread/13400/SPOILERS-AS-FUCK-2ch-Q-synopsis-prep-for-anal-devastation/ -- starting within minutes of the end of the first midnight showing (look at the post timestamps over the first several pages, starting at 02:22 JST 17-Nov-2012).

The forum hosting buckles under the load as everyone in the world outside Japan comes to try to read all the gossip, people post spoilers outside the dedicated spoilers-allowed sub-forum (in this case Evangelion 3.0+1.0 [SPOILERS]) and get slap on the wrist temp-bans, most of the staff stay away from the fray to avoid spoilers, and I get to spend long nights trying to keep things under control.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:23 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:There will likely be a subforum dedicated for spoiler discussions

Technically there already is -- the one we're in right now.

Mr. Tines wrote:most of the staff stay away from the fray to avoid spoilers, and I get to spend long nights trying to keep things under control.

You'll have at least me for company, so I suppose it could be worse. :devil:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:54 pm

Seeing how much of a shitstorm this forum was back when Q released, I can't help but wonder...
What was the internet's initial reaction to EOE back when it first released? Hell, did anyone actually get to witness the madness firsthand?

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:09 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:Somewhat unrelated, but...
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... re/.150977
Did we ever hear the results from this contest? I am somewhat curious to know who won.

As an example, NERV Purchasing Department 4th BS Branch host Sakura-Saki Inagaki

What and who?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”