Release Date: January 23, 2021 [DELAYED]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Release Date: June 27, 2020

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:29 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Now all Japan gotta prepare for are all the Gaikoku hito Weebs flying into the country to watch Shin Eva.

Lol

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:17 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Seeing as Japan doesn't appear to have the high percentage of dumb fucks who would rather get drunk and party than help contain a pandemic as the West, I think Japan has a good chance of keeping this thing down.

At present the graphs show that Japan has controlled the virus better than anywhere else, even South Korea (which has had a lot of praise).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Japan's numbers are low because they've made testing a logistical nightmare.
A person has to have a fever of almost 100 for two to four days and then need to consult a hotline to get a confirmation to visit a doctor who then gets to decide whether or not the person should be tested.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/23/national/japan-coronavirus-what-to-do/#.XnlEdC2ZPUI

Flowchart of how to get tested:
https://stopcovid19.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/en/flow/

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:36 pm

Yeah, both Japan and the States are actively fudging their numbers. So far I still think South Korea has had the best approach to all this.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:03 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yeah, both Japan and the States are actively fudging their numbers. So far I still think South Korea has had the best approach to all this.

Yes South Korea has turned it around after their religious cult helped spike the cases by being idiots.

Japan could be fudging the numbers too, but I'm not sold either way on what effect this has 3.0+1.0. Seeing as most things are still moving smoothly in Japan, not sure why we should expect to be so much worse in June.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:06 am

Cultists are the reason why this world can’t have nice things.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Japan's numbers are low because they've made testing a logistical nightmare.

The comparison I'm using is based on deaths, not "cases". Cases are essentially unknown, because the figure is based on testing regimes, which are hugely variable, but inadequate almost everywhere; deaths are a much better defined figure, though still a bit variable in cases where patients might have multiple possible causes of death.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:10 am

"COVID-19 deaths" are a fluid figure too considering how differently nations are defining them.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 am

Seeing as most things are still moving smoothly in Japan, not sure why we should expect to be so much worse in June.

I too think Japan could be fine by June, but keep in mind Toho delayed the Doraeon film and khara has been cancelling some marketing events and delayed the release of one of this year's Eva compilation albums.

I really want to see Eva ASAP, but if a delay saves lives, that's what needs to be done. Let's just hope this gets solved quickly, it's really bad.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:46 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I too think Japan could be fine by June, but keep in mind Toho delayed the Doraeon film and khara has been cancelling some marketing events and delayed the release of one of this year's Eva compilation albums.

I really want to see Eva ASAP, but if a delay saves lives, that's what needs to be done. Let's just hope this gets solved quickly, it's really bad.

Absolutely, if a delay is necessary, I'm the first to want it. But of course Toho and Khara changed their plans for this month : the Emergency was fresh, and it wasn't the right moment to go to cinema or public events. Doraemon is set for August now, so I don't think they are going to delay it too much, in an hypothetical case.

The only way to know the truth would be a trailer release, but Anno likes to torture us.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:02 am

∆ I think even with a trailer, the movie could be postponed. With Doraemon it happened days before release (though I don't think it would happen out of the blue with Eva). And I agree, I don't think if a delay happened it would be delayed too much (unless necessary).

As far as confirmation for the release, Hidenori Matsubara just posted a pic of new Eva-branded curry to be released in april which advertises the movie for june 27.
https://twitter.com/HideMatsubara/status/1242655913183330304?s=19

And as for a trailer...this friday is march 27, "exactly" three months before release. Don't know if that is actually relevant lol. If a trailer came out today, the time span between first ("proper") trailer and the movie would already be shorter than for Shin Godzilla. Though longer than for other Rebuilds AFAIK. Maybe the fact that it's taking time is a sign they are thinking about the release?

Anyway, with the Olympics postponed, I hope if the film comes out in june the situation doesn't suppose a big loss of money to khara compared to what they expect to make. I'm sure Shin Eva will be an enormous project and with its revenue future works are to be financed (with the new generation at the helm?).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:00 am

The situation is evolving negatively:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-03-26/3rd-fate-stay-night-heaven-feel-anime-film-packing-theaters-despite-government-warnings/.157950
I expect Japan to go into quaratine in the next few days. Those numbers, that was Spain like two weeks ago, and look at us now.

A Shin Eva release will depend on when the quarantine ends, which depends on when it starts. Another thing that depends on that is how many lives are saved...

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 am

The spike in cases that could delay the film does appear to be happening. Fate only got delayed a month, so if the measures taken now can flatten the curve, Eva should still be fine.

However, if shit goes south like other countries have seen, then yes, the wait is going to be even longer unfortunately.

Also, the Khara 2nd twitter sent out a retweet that I'm not sure what it means, but it might be hinting at a delay.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:28 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
Also, the Khara 2nd twitter sent out a retweet that I'm not sure what it means, but it might be hinting at a delay.

It just says "Yes". (RT).
What the hell was that, Khara?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:18 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:It just says "Yes". (RT).
What the hell was that, Khara?

It's a reference to the tweet it retweeted prior, that's what rt means

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:26 pm

We have to remember that in Japan Eva is hugely, super popular. If by June things aren't over AND there's no risk of a second wave, I really doubt the movie is not gonna be delayed. I don't suppose a streaming only release is possible?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:31 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I don't suppose a streaming only release is possible?

I'd put the chances of that being approximately 0%. I know some studios are doing that, but almost all of them had at least a week or two in theaters and, well, I just don't see Japanese studios jumping on that train. Especially with something that would be a massive box office draw like Eva.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:13 pm

It's almost like the exact thing I said would happen, that Japan has been lax in dealing with Covid-19, that it is not some special land where the virus can't take hold and that cases would spike the minute the Olympics were delayed and the government would stop fucking around and get to work on dealing with the virus that brings every county it attacks to a standstill for months - is exactly what happened.

This is - [i]hopefully
- a once in a lifetime disaster that every nation needs to treat with utmost seriousness. This is what the world is going to be about for the next six months to a year.

Anywho, take it for what you will but AnimeNewsNetwork just dropped an article about an Evangelion: BattleGrounds smartphone game that was supposed to come out this week and likely would have been a good way to jumpstart marketing for 3.0+1.0 was just delayed to an unspecified date.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-26/evangelion-battlefields-smartphone-game-delays-release/.157953

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:25 pm

∆ Remember that game is tied to figures you can use with it. I don't see people massively going to stores to buy them now. But I don't think this is indicative of what khara wants to do with Eva.

Everything up until now seems to indicate they want to go ahead with the june release, maybe if it gets delayed it'll be a last minute choice based on tge current situation.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:32 pm

3 months to the 27th of June, and it feels like a torture.
Edit.
"This delay to Evangelion Battlefields is not due to the on-going COVID-19 coronavirus crisis. Instead, the creators want to dedicate more time to improving its gameplay. In fact, the team took to Twitter to make it clear that this was the case, issuing an apology on March 25, 2020"
Source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.siliconera.com/evangelion-battlefields-will-be-delayed-until-further-notice/amp/
So, nothing of serious as COVID-19, apparently.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”