Will the "good guys" kill Gendo? [split]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Will the "good guys" kill Gendo? [split]

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:58 pm

View Original PostTyloethius wrote:Watching these rebuilds it seems like no matter what happens Gendo will say it was a part of his plans

The thing that will definitely not be part of his plan is when he is killed by Wille or Shinji.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Did Nerv let Wille restore Paris?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:25 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:The thing that will definitely not be part of his plan is when he is killed by Wille or Shinji.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's not like getting killed off for a greater goal as the final piece in the grand masterplan has never happened before in anime (obviously not naming examples here cause lol spoilers, but I think everyone who has seen a certain other mech show will know what I mean)
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:44 am

They won't have a chance to kill Gendo anyway; in all likelihood he will sacrifice himself to become part of Eva-13, and at that point stopping Final Impact will be what matters.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:in all likelihood he will sacrifice himself to become part of Eva-13,

With his wife being in Unit-01, wouldn't that be a bit of a missed chance?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:With his wife being in Unit-01, wouldn't that be a bit of a missed chance?

And miss out on hot Eva on Eva action?
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:With his wife being in Unit-01, wouldn't that be a bit of a missed chance?

Huh?? How would it be a missed chance? More like the exact opposite.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:33 am

NGE Gendo: *tries to get Yui back to human form so he can have hot nasty human sex with her*

NTE Gendo: *tries to become an Eva just like Yui so he can have hot nasty Eva sex with her*

EDIT: Wait, this was all foreshadowed in the Evangelion Schick commercials, what with Gendo growing Eva-esque energy wings and ascending into the heavens, Eva Unit 13 style. Anno, you genius bastard, you!

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:06 am

I misread that as "Evangelion Schlick commercials" and my brain went to bad places. :fuyu_facepalm:
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:NGE Gendo: *tries to get Yui back to human form so he can have hot nasty human sex with her*

But he gives up on that pretty quickly, and changes the goal to "use the power of the gods to share Yui's soul domicile with her so they can have hot nasty spirit sex until the end of time".

NTE upping the ante here for sure. I despised Eva-13 until it suddenly felt inevitable that Gendo would use it to, uh, 'be with Yui again', and now all I want is to see 01 and 13 get it on.

Anyway... Paris? Something about Paris.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:41 am

01 and 13 will have hot nasty sex in Paris, using parts of the Eiffel Tower as giant sex toys.

I think that’s a reasonable conclusion.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:35 pm

But Mari's already stuffed the Eiffel Tower up the muzzle of a (Positron?) cannon.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Ooh... kinky.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:42 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:They won't have a chance to kill Gendo anyway; in all likelihood he will sacrifice himself to become part of Eva-13, and at that point stopping Final Impact will be what matters.

Well, then Gendo is "killed" through destroying Eva-13.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:01 am

Eva-13 is totally going to merge with Eva-01 to make the True & Divine Evangelion that's in the movie's title. The writing is, as they say, on the wall there.

I'm not sure why you're so dead-set on such a grossly simplistic fate for a character as important as Gendo as "the good guys kill him dead". Since when has Eva been that kind of story?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Re: Will the good guys kill Gendo? [split]

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Because Gendo died in a most karmic fashion in the other two major timelines. The real trouble is by that point his death was pointless; in the anime he'd already started Third Impact and in the manga the same thing happened.

Also we don't really have good guys in this setting, just marginally less terrible people and children.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:13 pm

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:Because Gendo died in a most karmic fashion in the other two major timelines. The real trouble is by that point his death was pointless; in the anime he'd already started Third Impact and in the manga the same thing happened.

I'm too tired right now to recall the exact logistics of either version, but I'm 97% sure that on some level, his death still mattered to something. Reichu can probably explain this with far more precision and detail than I could ever hope to.
Also we don't really have good guys in this setting, just marginally less terrible people and children.

That I fully agree on, and is something that more people should be keeping in mind
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:24 pm

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:Also we don't really have good guys in this setting, just marginally less terrible people and children.

I think that the group that tries to defeat Gendo's death cult and restore the world to an inhabitable state for humanity can safely be considered as good guys. Not necessarily nice, but good nonetheless.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:19 pm

^Seele is the death cult and Gendo opposes their plan just like he did in NGE.

As for whether Wille will kill him, no, I don't think they will. I agree with Reichu's prediction that he will merge with Eva 13 and Kaworu to become part of the True Evangelion opposite Rei and Yui. Not only that, I think we'll see he fundamentally wants the same thing that Misato and co do but is willing to go to extreme lengths to get it.
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:08 pm

I don't think they're going to kill Gendo: they Just want to stop his Plan. Wille is Not made of killers (Just look to Misato in 3.0 for example.).
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Wille is (not) made of killers. HM.

Just wanted to say that Misato couldn't kill Shinji, specifically. Gendo could make the difference, especially if Shinji's life would be at stake again. He knows this, of course; otherwise he wouldn't be Gendo. (My train of thoughts kinda derailed here; crap.)
JUSTICE & MERCY

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”