Mari's vow to Shinji

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Re: Mari's vow to Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:00 pm

I think she's been searching for the real Shinji for a long time, really wants to save him. I imagine she's found him, maybe recognized through his smell?

I know the manga ain't canon worth shit but maybe the chapter dealing with her is more supplemental material? Dealing with who or what she's searching for? Perhaps bound to be retold in the new movie?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:14 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I know the manga ain't canon worth shit but maybe the chapter dealing with her is more supplemental material? Dealing with who or what she's searching for? Perhaps bound to be retold in the new movie?

Sadamoto explicitly states that he put that chapter in as fanservice and that it doesn't have any real bearing on Mari in NTE one way or the other.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:26 am

^
Sure! And no creator has ever lied to protect their consumer from spoilers, only to surprise them at last moment.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:37 am

Like you noted yourself, the Manga is a different continuity. And besides, what purpose would it serve for Sadamoto to lie about his work not being canon? This isn't a situation where a transparent attempt at deception breaks down forcing a creator to lie, like the case of J.J. Abrams lying that Benedict Cumberbatch's character in Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't Khan in the midst of all the speculation that nailed the obvious twist, and Abrams took a lot of flak for that lie. Sadamoto is in a position where he'd probably face far greater social sanction over a blatant lie than Abrams, and if Mari's background were so important, why reveal it early?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:43 am

Also, Sadamoto’s contributions to anything Khara related has been very sparse lately. His influence on the series diminishes with every new movie that’s made. I really doubt anything Sadamoto suggests in the manga will be reflected in any way in the new movies.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:11 am

Yeah, I highly doubt that that chapter means anything; I could be wrong here, but I seem to remember that Sadamoto wasn't even credited anymore in Q for anything besides mechanical design
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:02 am

You guys are shit at understanding what I'm saying.

I'm not saying the fucking chapter is canon, I am saying that it has the potential to be a hint at her ulterior motive, the crux of her motivation

This has nothing to do with sadamoto, sadamoto probably just developed Character shit with anno back before 2.0.

User was warned for this post. Play nice, people. -Reichu

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:38 am

Sadamoto never had anything to do with the script of anything Eva releated, besides of the manga (As Anno didn't wrote a line for the manga). Mari, her characterization and all of her in the movies was made by Anno only, Sadamoto just made the character design and the manga chapter that does not have anything to do with the Rebuild saga or Anno's character arc.
Also between Anno and Sadamoto there's drama, because Anno basically fired him for 3.0
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:43 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Mari, her characterization and all of her in the movies was made by Anno only

Almost the exact opposite.

Eva 2.0 CRC wrote:Interviewer: Practically speaking, how did you attempt to insert Mari into the story?

Anno: To begin with, I left [certain things] to others. I tried to propose as little of her image myself as I could. I gave O-sada [Yoshiyuki Sadamoto] and Makki a rough impression of her settei: her outward design was to be that of a English private school girl, a bit “O-nee-san”-like, maybe with a love of animals as well, and so on. After that I left them to work things out; I felt like I would just check what they completed.

Also between Anno and Sadamoto there's drama, because Anno basically fired him for 3.0

As with your previous statement, please source claims like this before making them. The Internet Rumor Mill doesn't need any additional power.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 pm

View Original PostMelkor wrote:Mari might turn out to be one of the few people that can actually help Shinji.

On a meta level, Mari's and Shinji's possible friendship in the final movie will probably represent Shinji (and the audience) moving on from his past relationships and forming new ones with new people.
Rei Q will likely become her own person and independent from Shinji and form new bonds, just like Rei 2 did, plus, Shinji/Adam and Rei/Lilith has been extremely destructive so far.
Kaworu has to stop being obsessive over Shinji. Their relationship is extemely toxic since Kaworu represents a messiah and some magical fix for every problem Shinji has in his life. (Which never work out)
Misato and Asuka will likely find some peace with Shinji, but I don't see their relationship ever becoming what is was in the first two movies.

View Original PostSettie wrote:^ I've always found it odd just how prevalent the mindset of "Shinji destroyed the world" is amongst the general eva fandom. I mean it's not like the movie was subtle about it, it's one of the few things the movie hits you with head on.

It think it just shows that just like Shinji, many people take things they hear and see in life at face value and don't look into things enough. When it comes to Shinji, he just lacks knowledge and is not mature enough yet.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:15 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:On a meta level, Mari's and Shinji's possible friendship in the final movie will probably represent Shinji (and the audience) moving on from his past relationships and forming new ones with new people.
Rei Q will likely become her own person and independent from Shinji and form new bonds, just like Rei 2 did, plus, Shinji/Adam and Rei/Lilith has been extremely destructive so far.
Kaworu has to stop being obsessive over Shinji. Their relationship is extemely toxic since Kaworu represents a messiah and some magical fix for every problem Shinji has in his life. (Which never work out)
Misato and Asuka will likely find some peace with Shinji, but I don't see their relationship ever becoming what is was in the first two movies.

I'm been thinking along those same lines as well. Some sort of friendship or camaraderie between Shinji and Mari could actually be healthy for Shinji. As it stands now, Rei is just too cold and distant, and Asuka is too toxic. Surrounding himself with people like that is only going to make things worse for Shinji. He needs someone who's more balanced and empathetic, and Mari seems like the perfect balance between the two extreme of Rei and Asuka. She's probably the most normal and down to earth out of all the pilots (about as normal and down to earth as you can get in a series like Evangelion). That positive energy that Mari constantly radiates could be just what Shinji needs right now. Despite being older, Mari still seems to be somewhat like a child on the inside with how she behaves and views adults, and because of her pure child-like outlook on things she won't judge Shinji or hold any malice towards him for Near Third Impact (also because she was actually there and knows what was going through his head because she helped him), much like a child who has not yet been told how and what to think by adults would be able to look at things from an unbiased perspective.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:10 am

Well, I know for certain that Mari treats him better than most members in WILLIE. She doesn’t act hostile towards him or anything, despite knowing that he did cause two impacts already. Let’s just hope she can pull him out of despair, and set an example for the other WILLIE members on how to treat a traumatized kid instead of a damn prisoner.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:35 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Well, I know for certain that Mari treats him better than most members in WILLIE. She doesn’t act hostile towards him or anything, despite knowing that he did cause two impacts already. Let’s just hope she can pull him out of despair, and set an example for the other WILLIE members on how to treat a traumatized kid instead of a damn prisoner.

That's probably because she knows she technically played a part in causing Near Third Impact by helping/enabling Shinji to get into Unit-01. Do Misato and the other Willie members even know about what Mari did back then? I wouldn't be surprised if Mari has been keeping that bit of info to herself and only told them part of the story of her involvement, for fear of getting in trouble. This meme basically symbolizing Mari keeping quiet so she doesn't get in trouble when she hears about how Shinji's actions resulted in a near apocalypse that she helped cause:

SPOILER: Show

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:45 pm

View Original PostMelkor wrote:That's probably because she knows she technically played a part in causing Near Third Impact by helping/enabling Shinji to get into Unit-01. Do Misato and the other Willie members even know about what Mari did back then? I wouldn't be surprised if Mari has been keeping that bit of info to herself and only told them part of the story of her involvement, for fear of getting in trouble. This meme basically symbolizing Mari keeping quiet so she doesn't get in trouble when she hears about how Shinji's actions resulted in a near apocalypse that she helped cause:

SPOILER: Show

Yep, she sure has some part in something. Maybe the coming film might explain that a little. I guess kind of like Kaji; they know about NERV’s and SEELE’s true intent, and might be looking for ways to thwart their ambitions. Guess time will tell.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:06 pm

I don’t think they would do too much to Mari if they knew. I mean, Misato was basically cheering Shinji onto N3I before it got all apocalyptic on everyone.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:16 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I don’t think they would do too much to Mari if they knew. I mean, Misato was basically cheering Shinji onto N3I before it got all apocalyptic on everyone.

So why didn’t she hold herself accountable?

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Why do you think she doesn't? She's cleaning up his mess for some time now.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:02 pm

Now that Shinji has returned, seeing him take all the hate and blame for Third Impact, she might start to feel a little guilty, until that guilt eventually becomes too much and she comes clean about what really happened. Her response might be something like "If you're going to punish him, then you'll have to punish me too because I helped him do it." She's almost as guilty in helping Shinji cause near Third Impact as Kaworu was in helping Shinji cause Fourth Impact.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:46 pm

Melkor wrote:She's almost as guilty in helping Shinji cause near Third Impact as Kaworu was in helping Shinji cause Fourth Impact.

Uh, only in the abstract sense that she is part of the organization that used him as a pilot. Misato cheered him on because she wanted him to kill that angel and save the world - she never even knew that Shinji could cause an Impact by going mental. Kaworu knowingly and with intent (whether good or bad) convinced him to do it again by guilt-tripping him with the state of the world, which is only indirectly his fault, as the post credit scene of 2.0 makes clear. One of those actions I find a lot more objectionable than the other.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:15 pm

View Original PostDerantor wrote:Why do you think she doesn't? She's cleaning up his mess for some time now.

We’re talking about Misato, right?

If so, then she puts most of the blame on Shinji, like how everyone else does. If she is partially responsible for pushing him to take that action, she should be feeling guilty as well, and own up to it.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”