The Vatican Treaty is still in effect.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

The Vatican Treaty is still in effect.

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm

During the preview, Wille bemoans that Nerv is violating the Vatican Treaty via use of Evas for military operations. Seriously, who cares? I find it pretty hypocritcal that Wille also uses Evas for military operations too.

One more thing the Vatican Treaty also retstricts as pointed out by Ritsuko in 2.0 that no more than 3 Evas may be operational in one country at time. However does Unit 01 powering the Wunder count as an operational Eva alongside Unit 02 and 08? If not Wille is withing guidelines to use another Eva on top of Unit 02 and 08.

Makes you wonder.
I watch and speculate.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: The Vatican Treaty is still in effect.

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:30 am

I'd say that the whole point is kinda moot in general, because in the world of Q/Shin, the concept of nations hardly exists anymore
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 am

It's also hardly surprising that any group would be hypocritical in how it lets another handle what basically amounts to a WMD. Imagine how the U.S. would react to Iran working on WMDs, they'd get nuked in a heartbeat.

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:43 pm

I think the Vatican Treaty has more clauses to it, and some involve not creating monstrosities without demi-human shapes, or giving them autonomous control. Probably something to prevent creating another species that could be harmful to mankind (like Eva Mk. 44A, that has become it’s own kind with organised swarms).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm

I personally love how 2.22 haters were bitching about how the Vatican Treaty was “an obvious plot contrivance in order to force Mari into the story,” and now still have to deal with this piece of actual world building having real narrative integrity to the story for both Shin Eva and the series as a whole despite no longer being needed to “force Mari into the story.”
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:19 pm

That assumes this is more than a throwaway line.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:35 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I'd say that the whole point is kinda moot in general, because in the world of Q/Shin, the concept of nations hardly exists anymore

Or it's possible that the line further reinforces the idea (Like a lot of things in Q) that nations/human civilizations do still exist and like Shinji, we hardly know anything about the world and we (or some people here) assume the worst.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:56 am

For HIP to work, they would need a sufficient amount of alive people, right?

It's probably what those huge amounts of mp eva's are for (assuming they already got people in them), but still.

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Or it's possible that the line further reinforces the idea (Like a lot of things in Q) that nations/human civilizations do still exist and like Shinji, we hardly know anything about the world and we (or some people here) assume the worst.

Well if these nations still exist and are following the Vatican treaty Wille can't use more than 3 Evas at a time in one country they're operating in. Technically they're using Unit 02, Unit 08 and Unit 01 so any additional Units will be forbidden under that statute.
I watch and speculate.

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 pm

Was it ever mentioned what the penalty for breaking the treaty would be? I could imagine it being very tempted to reply "Bitch, I have four Evas. Your move."
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 am

View Original PostMirrorUniverseAsuka wrote:Was it ever mentioned what the penalty for breaking the treaty would be? I could imagine it being very tempted to reply "Bitch, I have four Evas. Your move."

Probably trading sanctions. You can be as op as you want, you can't punch a lack of food imports
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:59 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Probably trading sanctions. You can be as op as you want, you can't punch a lack of food imports

lol true, though that did just give me the mental image of Unit-02 with an armful of carrots looking at the camera like "What?"
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:34 am

Thank you for this mental image :rofl:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”