"EVANGELION:3.0+1.0 AVANT 1 (from beginning to 10:40) Version 0706" discussion and prediction thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: "EVANGELION:3.0+1.0 AVANT 1 (from beginning to 10:40) Version 0706" discussion and prediction thread

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:10 pm

Well, that was definitely interesting :Kaji:

I'm just (as usual with things) taking the "wait and see" approach while chatting about stuff on the Eva Discord.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "EVANGELION:3.0+1.0 AVANT 1 (from beginning to 10:40) Version 0706" discussion and prediction thread

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:29 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Super brightened recording from a Japanese showing - no subtitles

/a/ community subbing effort : https://boards.fireden.net/a/thread/190251888 [mainly of interest for the timings]
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Swami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Swami » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:36 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:^^Eva is not going to die a slow and painful death. Even if the final film fails to deliver, people always have the original, which most people prefer and would recommended to new people over Rebuilds.

Exactly! Last time I checked I do believe it just launched on Netflix, you know, the most popular streaming site in the world!

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:43 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Joseki mentioned in the Discord that Ogata mentioned in the interview there that she was asked by Anno "which girl Shinji would pick".

We need someone to transcribe that interview.

Wait, what part was that? I heard Ogata say "ketsumatsu" which means ending, not girl. And the French interpreter translated that as "fin", which also means ending.
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm

So, do you think any of this is actually going to be in the movie itself? Or are they going to pull a Q on us and give us something completely different?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:11 pm

So upon closer inspection, not only do each of the Sachicopters have a Spear of Longinus sticking out of their faces(?????????):
SPOILER: Show

But they have a humanoid silhouette when viewed from above or below:

And dorsal armor like a normal Eva:

Props to Reichu for noticing the armor.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:13 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Are they going to pull a Q on us and give us something completely different?

No.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:17 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:That might the most over the top thing I've ever seen in EVA, utter madness :w00t: . I was fairly confident that the tower in the poster was Tokyo Tower, but it was it's "older sibling" as it turns out, but Paris looked really good. And now to slip into anxiety as I have to wait another year to see the rest.

There's a rather amusing in-joke in there, I guess, as Tokyo Tower is red and white (but mostly red) and gets demolished in every other giant monster movie and tons of anime. So paint the Eiffel tower red and...demolish it. :devil: I see what Anno did there. :shifty:

BTW, Tokyo Tower has a central pillar, while the Eiffel Tower can (and does) actually stand on its four legs without the need for a central structure. So if it lacks the central pillar, it is the real thing, while the one with the central pillar is the Eastern knock-off. :tongue:
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Swami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Swami » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:34 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:Man, I haven't been on here in some time, but I thought I'd give my two cents after watching the preview a couple hours ago.

Firstly, I'm really digging the arrangement of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring they played during the recap. As far as my ears could pick up from the camrip that's going round, I can definitely hear a choir (I'd suspect it's the standard four-person choir Sagisu's been using for yonks going from the sound of it), and I think I can also hear strings as well. I especially like the choral arrangement, so I'm very excited to see if there's a full version of this that'll get released.

Now, as for the preview, I don't have too much to say - mainly because it's a big action sequence full of Eva technobabble, and for the most part, those don't particularly interest me. There's nothing wrong with them, but they're not the reasons I'm interested in the Rebuilds. Still, what was there was pretty entertaining (Mari using the Eiffel Tower to stab the Angel while apologizing to the Tower legit had me howling in laughter at how ridiculous and awesome it is), so I'm glad to see that folks who enjoy those scenes had a good time.

I'm not particularly a lore guy either, but I like how elements such as the hazmat-style suits and the restoration of Paris helped to confirm a couple of fan theories regarding humans' ability to survive the red wastes (or lack thereof) and that the pilots can. That's pretty cool.

Also, I goddamn love Ritsuko wearing her lab coat over the suit. It looks so awesome, and her standing with her arms crossed as she's almost about to be crushed by the Angel before Mari interrupts is the most badass thing I've seen in years.

Man, you would hate to be a member of the Sonic fandom in that case. It pretty much comes with the territory that you have to come up with more interesting ideas for characters than their creators (something I'm not complaining about, incidentally - I think the Sonic series is really fascinating in how it inadvertently lets its fans go wild with ideas by providing just enough suggestions to get them started without restricting their ability to go in directions that resonate with them at the time).

---

As an aside, I'd recommend that if anyone's not looking forward to the last film or is only looking to tear into it for whatever reason, it would be a better idea if you choose to ignore it. I'm not even saying that because I don't want to hear bad things about the film (I relish seeing or taking part in that type of discussion since we get to learn each other's perspectives), but because I think you deserve better than to spend your time being angry about things you don't care about. If the last Eva's not something you're passionate about positively and you've only got bad things to say about it, that's perfectly understandable. These new films haven't been for everyone (nor should they be), and I think it's okay if they're not for you.

But in that case, I honestly urge you to find things you are positively passionate about and talk about them instead. You deserve to talk and think about the things that do make you happy and inspire you in any way, instead of only getting mad or depressed at a film you're not even going to enjoy. :)

Great post! This should be read by everyone.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 pm

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST DUE TO PERSISTENT NEGATIVITY

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:What.

Is this because Shinji somehow has up be at the center of everything? Shinji isn't entrusted with everything because he's childish and dangerous, and he's *also* not responsible for everything, nor does Wille ever say he is. The only one that gives him that impression is Kaworu, while also making Shinji believe everything is about him, again.

I think this preview is further making the case that, boo fucking hoo, there's an entire world beyond Shinji and his very limited and childish perspective.

Any of their excuses ‘ll turn out cheap. The easiest would‘ve been if they put a guard in the same room as Shinji and Sakura so he could‘ve beaten Shinji into a coma. Anyone would not give a fuck over violating orders and conventions if its for stopping Shinji to escape.

And even Asuka would’ve been able to stop Shinji too. She only deserves to live with his Blood on her hands the same as how Shinji failed her in Matsushiro.

Kats and WILLE were terminaly stupid for not taking the right measures in Shinjis captivity. Then there wouldn‘t be Shinji initiating N4I.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:40 pm

For people wondering where the character development for Mari is, you’ll find it next to the character development for Shigeru Aoba. (Seriously, why on Earth do people think she needs to be more than what is presented? You put a cute girl in skin-tight clothing, and suddenly the whole internet wants to stalk her. Jesus Christ...)

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:45 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:For people wondering where the character development for Mari is, you’ll find it next to the character development for Shigeru Aoba. (Seriously, why on Earth do people think she needs to be more than what is presented? You put a cute girl in skin-tight clothing, and suddenly the whole internet wants to stalk her. Jesus Christ...)

When you add a new Eva pilot to a popular series, people expect her/him to have very important role in the story and/or more character beyond what she/he currently has, so I understand why people complain about Mari.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Look that’s great but can we get the girl a bra? That can’t be comfortable.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:56 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Look that’s great but can we get the girl a bra? That can’t be comfortable.

Finally, someone asking the right questions :tongue:
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:00 pm

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:The first ten minutes for FINAL.

Now I've seen them.

A Mission taking place shortly after 3.0s events in whats left from Paris Post N3I, to retrieve spare parts for Units 2 and 8 and other goods for WILLEs recources.

Confrontations with autonomous Units from NERV are inevitable.

That WILLE has already a method to terraform Post N3I landscapes (even if just tempoarly) makes Kats saying to Shinji that he does nothing anymore now really backstabbing to how they do want to shove their mistakes on Shinji to not be responsible for him.

WILLE can go fuck themselves now. They already crossed the line.

Them saying "Sorry", "Please", "Thank You" and "I love you" to Shinji, deserve to mean shit the same as Gendo saying "Thank you" to Shinji, for how much they're pissed at Shinji for saying these words himself.

And that Mari hopes for Shinji to hold on, she can now reserve her seat at the first row to watch him suffer.

And to top it off, Asuka strangles Shinji in front of Mari. That's who the "Princess" and "Puppy" are for her.

Them forgiving each other makes me sick, for how sure they were to put themselves through all this.

I already stopped caring over the difference between right and wrong in Eva anymore.

I've got three words for you: Ow The Edge.
And I suggested that Shinji should go full villain protagonist mode. Even as a half joke.
My ROFLcopter goes Soi soi soi.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:10 pm

First draft subs for the brightened video -- https://files.catbox.moe/lymshb.srt

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:why on Earth do people think she needs to be more than what is presented?
To show there's more there than just a pair of jiggly jugs, I would imagine.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:24 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:To show there's more there than just a pair of jiggly jugs, I would imagine.

Anyone with a tendency to reduce a woman to her "jiggly jugs" has their own problems that the writing in a movie won't fix.

The new plugsuit's complete lack of support is ridiculous and inexcusable, but writing-wise Mari is fine. The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:45 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:As others have said in previous threads, i wouldn't consider Mari a main character like Shinji and co. More a secondary Character, like the Bridge Bunnies and Sakura

This has always been obvious to me, but apparently the fact that she pilots an Eva makes people think she is supposed to be much more.
She is there to serve as a contrast to the other characters who suffer piloting their Evas. Mari has fun with it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:12 pm

As I predicted it's mostly a fightey scene without much character action, but it's got some hot info nonetheless

so it appears that both groups were kinda right - Most of the earth IS ruined (called it!) and unsuited to 'pure' humans though the Pilots are sufficiently transmogrified to stand it to a higher degree (as many had already worked out from Asuka & the detector), but, and here I tip my hat to those who got it right when I didn't, there ARE other settlements, largely where other NERV outposts

It's surely a more accurate reflection of European politics that if there was a Big EU Paramilitary thing, it would be in France not Germany as the original series implies. Demolishing the Eiffel Tower is a nice nod to Nadia too

Was the "predecessor" who left the massage Kaji? (ie he died but played a big role in the resistance?) Why'd they refer to Fuyutsuki not Gendo? He a spy, or was he in charge of strategy?

There continues to be a motif of steadily advancing magitech, the runes that were just kinda implied to be a thing in the past movies all the eway from the first two movies are now actively weaponized like I feel like there'll be much to dissect here, and their tech is enough to at least partially render places/bases semi-habitable

What's also interesting is that the drone EVAs get some "characterization" and "behavior", their roaming the world and forming 'societies'

I did think Nagara had one of the coolest designs though she got the least lines. This being Mari the nickname might just be teasing, she kinda gives everyone nicknames (OR they might be girlfriends who knows? fully possible & plausible but not a necessary conclusion at this point either ) Since she is the Navigator it makes sense that they would be close tho, just from what you'd expect about the sorta person who would Navigate something like the wunder.

Though I think people might be overstating how potent or complete that restoration is - but at least humanity could probably survive in small pockets if SEELE were defeated.

I mean they showed largely the supporting cast as to not to spoil any big whammies but there's a lot of subtle characterization here. Maya has become a cynical leader lady like Ritsuko but you still see a tad of the old Maya shining through here, and just having this comradeship between Mari and Nagara makes their world seem wider for what little time they have for supporting cast in this sort of movie.

I have been practicing some moon speak but it's at a very rudimentary level, I REALLY want that interview translated it might be the real gem here. Anno's writing process and how he sometimes involves the VAs is utterly fascinating to me
For once I wish I had actually paid attention in French class

One thing I could pick out is that Anno actually loves France and visits often which... should have been obvious from 'Nadia' and his use of french artsy themes

Loved how they started with the familiar music too
Last edited by Kendrix on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”