"EVANGELION:3.0+1.0 AVANT 1 (from beginning to 10:40) Version 0706" discussion and prediction thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "EVANGELION:3.0+1.0 AVANT 1 (from beginning to 10:40) Version 0706" discussion and prediction thread

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:37 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:They had two movies to make Mari into something.

Thirty years of technical advances  SPOILER: Show
Image Image
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

penguintruth
Lilith

Re: "EVANGELION:3.0+1.0 AVANT 1 (from beginning to 10:40) Version 0706" discussion and prediction thread

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:40 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
Thirty years of technical advances  SPOILER: Show
Image Image

At least Noriko was a character. Mari is just glorified wank material.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Thnking of this, maybe Anno set things this way and not another, because he thinks it is your job to make Mari meaningful in your fanfiction - instead of behaving like a spoiled consumer who's to lazy to do shit by himself, but he feels he's right to grumble and make demands. Don't you think? You have 14 frelling years of timeskimp to fill with products of your imagination, provided it's not dead already.
JUSTICE & MERCY

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:42 pm

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:Thnking of this, maybe Anno set things this way and not another, because he thinks it is your job to make Mari meaningful in your fanfiction - instead of behaving like a spoiled consumer who's to lazy to do shit by himself, but he feels he's right to grumble and make demands. Don't you think? You have 14 frelling years of timeskimp to fill with products of your imagination, provided it's not dead already.

Wait, it's my job to make his characters interesting now?

That's, uh, that's a nuclear take there.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:45 pm

As others have said in previous threads, i wouldn't consider Mari a main character like Shinji and co. More a secondary Character, like the Bridge Bunnies and Sakura
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:49 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:As others have said in previous threads, i wouldn't consider Mari a main character like Shinji and co. More a secondary Character, like the Bridge Bunnies and Sakura

She's not a character at all. Which is why opening yet another movie with her maneuvering in an Eva against some random mishmash of images approximating enemies of some kind is a mistake. After the previous movie, you'd think they would have learned their lesson.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:53 pm

The first ten minutes for FINAL.

Now I've seen them.

A Mission taking place shortly after 3.0s events in whats left from Paris Post N3I, to retrieve spare parts for Units 2 and 8 and other goods for WILLEs recources.

Confrontations with autonomous Units from NERV are inevitable.

That WILLE has already a method to terraform Post N3I landscapes (even if just tempoarly) makes Kats saying to Shinji that he does nothing anymore now really backstabbing to how they do want to shove their mistakes on Shinji to not be responsible for him.

WILLE can go fuck themselves now. They already crossed the line.

Them saying "Sorry", "Please", "Thank You" and "I love you" to Shinji, deserve to mean shit the same as Gendo saying "Thank you" to Shinji, for how much they're pissed at Shinji for saying these words himself.

And that Mari hopes for Shinji to hold on, she can now reserve her seat at the first row to watch him suffer.

And to top it off, Asuka strangles Shinji in front of Mari. That's who the "Princess" and "Puppy" are for her.

Them forgiving each other makes me sick, for how sure they were to put themselves through all this.

I already stopped caring over the difference between right and wrong in Eva anymore.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Guys, please don't force us to create a new "your daily hate" quarantine thread already. I avoid most of the Internet as it is so I don't have to deal with an endless torrent of people aggressively chasing after things to moan and complain about.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:05 pm

Okay. Post deleted.
JUSTICE & MERCY

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:09 pm

View Original PostElectreel wrote:"Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki must be testing us."

Which implies the 4444C and 44B units were sent by nu-Nerv.

Ahh, thank you :wink:

Also, what happened to the translation posted a few posts back? It's already down
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:20 pm

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:That WILLE has already a method to terraform Post N3I landscapes (even if just tempoarly) makes Kats saying to Shinji that he does nothing anymore now really backstabbing to how they do want to shove their mistakes on Shinji to not be responsible for him.

WILLE can go fuck themselves now. They already crossed the line.

Them saying "Sorry", "Please", "Thank You" and "I love you" to Shinji, deserve to mean shit the same as Gendo saying "Thank you" to Shinji, for how much they're pissed at Shinji for saying these words himself.

And that Mari hopes for Shinji to hold on, she can now reserve her seat at the first row to watch him suffer.

And to top it off, Asuka strangles Shinji in front of Mari. That's who the "Princess" and "Puppy" are for her.

What.

Is this because Shinji somehow has up be at the center of everything? Shinji isn't entrusted with everything because he's childish and dangerous, and he's *also* not responsible for everything, nor does Wille ever say he is. The only one that gives him that impression is Kaworu, while also making Shinji believe everything is about him, again.

I think this preview is further making the case that, boo fucking hoo, there's an entire world beyond Shinji and his very limited and childish perspective.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:22 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:At least Noriko was a character. Mari is just glorified wank material.
Sorry, forgot my /sarc tags for the spoiler text.

Point is, even the Gainaxing was introduced in a more naturalistic fashion 30 years ago.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:23 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Guys, please don't force us to create a new "your daily hate" quarantine thread already. I avoid most of the Internet as it is so I don't have to deal with an endless torrent of people aggressively chasing after things to moan and complain about.

Then I can make my own threads to represent my opinions alone when FINAL is out.

See this as a foretaste to how I'm ready to rip FINAL apart for years of being stuck with what happened in 3.0.

That's what I call a deserved ending for Eva for me.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:13 pm

I am kind of confused here. Is this the only thing we get? Mari showing Eiffel tower down the ass of the tentacle monster or is there going to be more? I mean, this is just pissing at fans really.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:16 pm

View Original PostCaroline L.S. wrote:I am kind of confused here. Is this the only thing we get? Mari showing Eiffel tower down the ass of the tentacle monster or is there going to be more? I mean, this is just pissing at fans really.

They want to save more interesting stuff for the actual movie.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Super brightened recording from a Japanese showing - no subtitles - that I found Youtube where you can see everything. I love the Evangelions with Angel faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T7afsQnQfw&t=235
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Joseki mentioned in the Discord that Ogata mentioned in the interview there that she was asked by Anno "which girl Shinji would pick".

We need someone to transcribe that interview.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Man, I haven't been on here in some time, but I thought I'd give my two cents after watching the preview a couple hours ago.

Firstly, I'm really digging the arrangement of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring they played during the recap. As far as my ears could pick up from the camrip that's going round, I can definitely hear a choir (I'd suspect it's the standard four-person choir Sagisu's been using for yonks going from the sound of it), and I think I can also hear strings as well. I especially like the choral arrangement, so I'm very excited to see if there's a full version of this that'll get released.

Now, as for the preview, I don't have too much to say - mainly because it's a big action sequence full of Eva technobabble, and for the most part, those don't particularly interest me. There's nothing wrong with them, but they're not the reasons I'm interested in the Rebuilds. Still, what was there was pretty entertaining (Mari using the Eiffel Tower to stab the Angel while apologizing to the Tower legit had me howling in laughter at how ridiculous and awesome it is), so I'm glad to see that folks who enjoy those scenes had a good time.

I'm not particularly a lore guy either, but I like how elements such as the hazmat-style suits and the restoration of Paris helped to confirm a couple of fan theories regarding humans' ability to survive the red wastes (or lack thereof) and that the pilots can. That's pretty cool.

Also, I goddamn love Ritsuko wearing her lab coat over the suit. It looks so awesome, and her standing with her arms crossed as she's almost about to be crushed by the Angel before Mari interrupts is the most badass thing I've seen in years.

penguintruth wrote:Wait, it's my job to make his characters interesting now?

That's, uh, that's a nuclear take there.

Man, you would hate to be a member of the Sonic fandom in that case. It pretty much comes with the territory that you have to come up with more interesting ideas for characters than their creators (something I'm not complaining about, incidentally - I think the Sonic series is really fascinating in how it inadvertently lets its fans go wild with ideas by providing just enough suggestions to get them started without restricting their ability to go in directions that resonate with them at the time).

---

As an aside, I'd recommend that if anyone's not looking forward to the last film or is only looking to tear into it for whatever reason, it would be a better idea if you choose to ignore it. I'm not even saying that because I don't want to hear bad things about the film (I relish seeing or taking part in that type of discussion since we get to learn each other's perspectives), but because I think you deserve better than to spend your time being angry about things you don't care about. If the last Eva's not something you're passionate about positively and you've only got bad things to say about it, that's perfectly understandable. These new films haven't been for everyone (nor should they be), and I think it's okay if they're not for you.

But in that case, I honestly urge you to find things you are positively passionate about and talk about them instead. You deserve to talk and think about the things that do make you happy and inspire you in any way, instead of only getting mad or depressed at a film you're not even going to enjoy. :)
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:54 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Super brightened recording
With this one, you can actually make out that the chorus line is approaching from La Défense, heading straight down the Champs Elysée.

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:05 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Super brightened recording from a Japanese showing - no subtitles - that I found Youtube where you can see everything. I love the Evangelions with Angel faces.

Huh, so they are actually headless like the FoI. Now that's Interesting.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”