"New Unit 02"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: First image of "New Unit 02"

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Ikuto Yamashita is probably having the time of his life with these new Eva designs...

How much of the Original Eva 02 is there anymore?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:49 pm

...a shoulder and half a head?
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:22 pm

Funny thing. Is unit 2 just jet alone now? No core, no entry plug, no pilot? Maybe piloted on remote? This might be why it dives so carelessly to the mess and why we dont see unit 8. There might be dual entry system for unit 8 now that Asuka probably can't pilot unit 2 anymore.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:18 am

I dunno how much of the exterior design is a useful indication as to what parts are "real". Though on that note, there's already some weird discrepancies.

SPOILER: Show

So we have: complete jaws, partial braincase, complete neck, partial thorax, upper spinal column, entry system (no sign of core; either destroyed or they didn't want to risk leaving it on the deck), and what might be some assorted right arm muscles.

New Eva-02, by external appearances alone, has a COMPLETE right arm, a complete head except for the one missing eye, a bit of right chest/shoulder, and... that's it. Anybody notice any problems here? :nyao:

With regard to the piloting situation, I noticed a pattern that might be suggesting something...

SPOILER: Show

(Perfectly logical reason for Mark.6 being there is talked about here.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 am

I guess if 08's Exosuit arms weren't goofy enough we now have this.

While I can totally understand the decision to Frankenstein Unit 02, as some way to show the audience just how dire Wille's situation is, connect it visually to Asuka (and also merch$$$), I wish they'd executed it better. As it stands it looks waaaay overdesigned and is (at least to my frail eyes) super visually confusing. :emogendo: Judging by my little knowledge of the process of translating concept art to the screen it's probably the case that it looked really good as a 2d still.

Am I willing and ready to overlook this in the face of 3.0+1.0? Hell yes. Do I wish they'd return to the EOE design? Hell yes also.

Am I just getting on a soapbox online and totally get that people might dig this design? Yes again.
Leave Shinji alone

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Trailer 2 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:13 am

Following upon on those "over-the-top" predictions that absolutely nobody read! :nyao:

Eva-02 has curvy yellow eye accents now.

YES, Asuka, YES!! YOUR DESTINY BECKONS! GO!!! KICK THOSE DISGUSTING MEN OUT OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL BODY!!!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Trailer 2 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:31 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:

Eva-02 has curvy yellow eye accents now.

A bit off-topic, but is Eva-02 Anno's favorite unit? The unit has had 3 different redesigns in the Rebuild series along with 2 different beast transformations, while Unit-01 had one minor redesign, one new awakening mode (Eva-13 and it's pseudo-evolution form are basically new versions of Unit-01)
Unit-00 and 03 only had minor tweaks too.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:52 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Image

Nigoki is back in business :asuka_happy:

Post updated with a higher definition image.

It looks like Unit-02 is wearing a JA armor, not that it has been repaired using (only) JA parts.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: "New Unit 02"

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:06 am

More specifically: it looks like the main JA2 chassis had its original mechanics removed (except for the left arm, of course), and it's actually wrapping around that new set of torso restraints from Paris. You can see down into the brown chassis at a couple of points in the preview, and it also kind of looks like the lower torso plates are peeking through the gaps in the white striped part. The hips and legs would be completely JA2, though. It also looks like there's a reactor of some sort (??) on the back, with all of the rods coming out of it. It's not INCREDIBLY obvious to me how the pilot is supposed to get in and out, but maybe there's something like looks like hatch access on the top of the reactor thing? Unclear...

Both the launcher backpack and the crazy gun thing were visible in Avant1 in the last couple of shots, if you were looking very carefully.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:34 am

The new Eva-02 and new unit-08 "hands" really well sell the idea that Wille doesn't have much resources nor do they care or have time/skilled personnel to make certain new body parts fit with the original Eva unit style.

NERV on the other hand can just create these new Eva units that look incredibly nice and have consistent designs.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:10 pm

^This.

WILLE is basically having to squeeze all the juice out of those old EVAs since they can't exactly get new ones

But I also like the idea of EVA 02 having a "grizzles veteran" look to match its pilot. But though it's heavily patched together, it's still technically the same one that Asuka started with and has a certain bond to.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:08 pm

No mention of the Unit 08+02 that was the centerpiece of the original 2012 teaser has been made since.
In fact if the new teaser is showing material from the third act it’s likely Asuka in Unit 02 and Mari in Unit 08 head into the final battle separately.
If the Unit 08+02 idea hasn’t been completely scrapped - which is a very real possibility like poor lost but never forgotten Donkey-kun in which case Unit 08+02 joins the long list of reasons why I think the episode teasers at the end of the Rebuilds is the only major mistake they made in the production of these films - you know what this means?

Unit 02 & Unit 08 go into battle separately, fight to their fullest and when all seems hopeless .....

...GATTAI!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:41 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:No mention of the Unit 08+02 that was the centerpiece of the original 2012 teaser has been made since.

Not QUITE true.

MARI:
Now we have the parts to make Eva-02 like new,
and we can modify Eva-08 to make it Overlap-compatible.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Ooooh!
GATTAI (essentially) CONFIRMED!

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Maybe they'll end up doing both ideas, having Unit-02 be separate, but still having Unit-08 be some kind of fusion. At the end of the preview, Mari said something about doing some kind of "overlapping" with Unit-08. This could mean installing a double entry system onto Unit-02. If they're going up against Unit-13, might as well fight fire with fire. I can't see anyone other than Asuka piloting Unit-02, so who would Mari pilot Unit-08 together with if it does get converted into a double entry system? Rei? Based on the trailer it looks like she might end up going back to Nerv at some point. Shinji maybe? It would fit with the pattern of how in each new movie Shinji meets a new Eva pilot and learns to work with them. In 1.0 he met Rei and became close with her, in 2.0 he met Asuka and became close(ish) with her, in 3.0 he met Kaworu and became close with him. Continuing the pattern, Mari is the only Eva pilot left out of the pilot group that Shinji has yet to properly meet and form a bond/partnership with.
Last edited by Melkor on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 pm

View Original PostMelkor wrote:Mari is the only Eva pilot left out of the group that Shinji has yet to properly meet and form a bond/partnership with.

Don't we all?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Unit-02 has been through quite a lot. I wonder what will its beast mode be like in this movie. We got some quasi-lizard in 2.0 and a cat/sabertooth in 3.0 so I wonder what will come next? Something that flies or insect-like? :huh:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:36 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:We got some quasi-lizard in 2.0 and a cat/sabertooth in 3.0 so I wonder what will come next? Something that flies or insect-like? :huh:

Here I suggest that the Beast Mode choices might be using Zyuuranger logic. So the logical next step, given 02's now more massive horns, is an Evaceratops. :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 am

Late to the party, but I honestly dig the new 02. I have a thing for mechs in heavy armor, and I especially have a thing for asymmetrical, rugged looking mechs. This is right up my alley.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:48 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Image

Nigoki is back in business :asuka_happy:

ehh.... i'm not buying that figure.....
ANATA BAKA !?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”