Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 am

So, the reason why the more intimate character themes in the Disney Star Wars movies don’t work is because they lacked a unified narrative vision. In order for Rian Johnson’s themes to really mean anything in the series episode 9 would have to pick up right where episode 8 thematically left off. Instead, both of JJ Abrams Star Wars movies feel like warmed up leftovers of varying degrees of quality. If the storyteller keeps changing from film to film, then the chances of the themes within the film series not connecting increase exponentially.

The new Evangelion movies do not suffer from this issue. They have the same storyteller through and through, so it’s highly likely that they will all thematically connect with one another and be satisfying for audiences to see.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby dzzthink » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:58 am

Anno is obviously the same person, but his vision changed rather abruptly between 2.0 and 3.0. It is almost as if he went back to the story board and started the whole story again, shifting the continuity entirely and redeveloped some of the characters. That is the point of the rebuild I guess.

Almost all the film seem to have a delayed release schedule, which could be due to revisions in story.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:04 pm

I don't think his vision changed abruptly. Lots of things seem to point to the fact that Anno actually intended there to be a rather large point of disconnect between 2.22 and 3.33. The first two films were supposed to feel more ''nostalgic'', they're kind of a set-up for the second part of the story that throws a twist by introducing a radically different world, one that works largely on an antithesis of 2.22's aesthetics and beliefs (if viewed as an individual entity that exists as the generalized and commercial anime that the majority of anime fans indulge on watching in a daily basis). I think that there's even some interview where Kaworu's VA said he knew about the timeskip already during 2.22's production or something like that? Anyway, he knew about it for such a long time that it becomes obvious Anno intended it for a long time too.

Tilikvm
Embryo

Postby Tilikvm » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:46 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:FTFY

No matter how you feel about TLJ, the subversions weren't just there for subversion's sake. The whole message of the movie is about accepting change, just like the message of 3.0 is.

The problem with TLJ is that all the subversions, at the end, meant nothing, because all the characters are literally at the same spot at the end of the movie. For a movie about accepting change, there's literally no change whatsoever. Kylo and Rey seemed like they were going to evolve and do something different, but the subvertion of expectations kicks in once again and they are like "lol no, we are just the same once again", with Kylo doing his best Anakin wannabe impression "I hate you & I'm dumb evil!" and Rey being devoid of any nuance beyond being just the archetypical heroine. Then you have Rose, which kind of reminds me of Mari a little bit, and she has literally no purpose except for some convoluted hero antics that made no sense and somehow becoming the romance of Jar Jar Finn because they had to give Finn some "purpose" too, I guess. Their entire plot with Benicio Del Toro tossed around was almost filler like.

dzzthink wrote:Anno is obviously the same person, but his vision changed rather abruptly between 2.0 and 3.0. It is almost as if he went back to the story board and started the whole story again, shifting the continuity entirely and redeveloped some of the characters. That is the point of the rebuild I guess.

Almost all the film seem to have a delayed release schedule, which could be due to revisions in story.

There's certainly and abrupt change between the previous movies and 3.0. If it was planned in advance or it was just Anno improvising, I don't know.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:20 am

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but Eva Jo felt very different after I had seen Eva Q. I had seen Eva Jo film multiple times throughout the slow-drip release of these Eva films that by the time Eva Q was finally released I almost had that movie memorized by heart, and it still felt like Anno has somehow altered the contents of my 1.11 Blu-ray after the release of Eva Q. The small ways in which Eva Jo deviates from the TV series seem to be setting up the harshness of Misato's "betrayal" of Shinji in Eva Q. There's the scene in the climax of Eva Jo where Gendo suggests changing Shinji out with Rei and Unit 00, and Misato begins defending Shinji's ability to fight. This scene (or any scene like this) doesn't appear anywhere in the TV series. Compare that with Eva Q, a film with almost no scenes that mirror the original TV series (though there are quite a few call-backs to them), where Misato flatly tells Shinji to do nothing during the Eva battles. There's another scene in Eva Ha, towards it's climax, where Rei is vowing to make it so Shinji never has to pilot Eva Unit 01 again, which is a prophecy that is fulfilled by the start of Eva Q! These new elements sprinkled into the series early on all seem to be building up to the emotional chaos that is Eva Q. I don't know how much of Eva Q was plotted ahead of time (the idea of having extended Kaworu scenes in Eva Q were almost 100% planned from day 1 of pre-production of Eva Jo), but there's too much going on in the new series that leads up to Eva Q in order for it to entirely be Anno improvising. Likewise, Eva Q relies too much on the newer material sprinkled throughout the previous film for it to be dismissive of the story up until then.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:58 am

In Regards to the idea of Anno's planning of Q. I like to see people claim he changed ideas, or decided to go a different route, or something similar. I think we're all forgetting that in the Introduction page of the Q booklet (the only written information we have on Khara's production history post-2.0) Anno specifically tells us that this was the plan all along. Everything we see was entirely intentional. Part of why I have been so vehemently defensive of the Next Time Preview at the end of 2.0 throughout the years is because it fits so well with how Q actually turned out coupled with Anno's comment that he planned this from the start.

People like to say things happened that caused a shift in how the movie turned out, but we never actually see or hear of such a shift, so it's pure speculation against the written word of Anno at that point.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:21 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:In Regards to the idea of Anno's planning of Q. I like to see people claim he changed ideas, or decided to go a different route, or something similar. I think we're all forgetting that in the Introduction page of the Q booklet (the only written information we have on Khara's production history post-2.0) Anno specifically tells us that this was the plan all along. Everything we see was entirely intentional. Part of why I have been so vehemently defensive of the Next Time Preview at the end of 2.0 throughout the years is because it fits so well with how Q actually turned out coupled with Anno's comment that he planned this from the start.

People like to say things happened that caused a shift in how the movie turned out, but we never actually see or hear of such a shift, so it's pure speculation against the written word of Anno at that point.

Well, the general direction he wanted to take the Rebuilds may have been planned from the start, but I think it's foolish to assume that everything in these movies remained unchanged from the very first draft of 1.0. For example, early drafts of 2.0 indicate that the climax was originally going to be Rei's heroic sacrifice from Episode 23 of the original show, and the 14 year time skip element was only introduced in later drafts. Anno is notoriously cagey about the way his stuff is made, so I wouldn't take anything he says at face value.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:10 am

^ I mean, we can nit pick all day about whether or not Anno had planned from the very beginning every dumb little anime-style breathy, gasp sound he would have Megumi Ogata make in a specific model of microphone while recording the voice for Shinji, but I think all of that is besides the point. People who think Anno had every little jot and tittle planned from the beginning, all the way down to shot choices and exact wording of dialogue scenes, probably have too rigid of an idea as to how filmmaking actually works. Some ideas prove to work, other ideas reveal they never did work, and other ideas are found to be not important enough to keep around. Things have to change so that way they don't get in the way of the big picture. However, people who claim Anno is simply improvising absolutely everything as he goes probably aren't aware of how collaborative filmmaking is, and how important it is for various people (like Akira Ishida, who has always said in interviews that Anno told him major Eva Q spoilers all the way back in about 2007) to be on the same page with certain ideas in the series from the very beginning of their involvement in production.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:14 am

It could be' an interesting argument for another topic in the Rebuild section.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:00 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Anno pulls the rug out from under the audience to teach them a lesson about moving on and accepting change; Rian Johnson pulls the rug out from under the audience for no other reason than being able to do so.

Actually Johnson was doing the exact same thing.
I'm surprised SW gets different treatment than...anything else.
But a longer take on this would belong in the SW topic.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxPOyxiL1i8
Rough translation:
#Evangelion #Evangelion New Theatrical Version
First in the "Evangelion" series!
MX4D and 4DX will be screened for a limited time at 82 theaters nationwide in the "Evangelion New Theatrical Version" series!

■ Screening period
12/4 (Friday) ~ "Evangelion New Theatrical Version: Introduction 4D Version"
12/11 (Friday) ~ "Evangelion New Theatrical Version: Destruction 4D Version"
12/18 (Friday) ~ "Evangelion New Theatrical Version: Q 4D Version"
Screening for a limited time * Ends on Thursday, December 24 (planned)

If Khara can screen their movies in December, then they can screen 3.0 + 1.0 soonish.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:46 am

This reminds me of rockstar with gta vi lol

Instead of putting out info on gta vi, just re release the previous on again and again with slight updates lol

intermediateO
Lilith

Postby intermediateO » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:55 am

I don't want to get my hopes up, BUT, I really hope this is pointing for a possible December 25th opening.

The teaser starts with:
The 「近日公開」/"Coming Soon" we have been seeing since April is now finally replaced with 「公開記念」/"In Commemoration of the Opening of (Shin Eva)".

There have been movies that have come out post-lockdown that have already eclipsed 3.0's total box office, such as "Kyo Kara Ore Ha". There are even serial theatrical anime like "Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel III" that have broken the box office record for their series.

SPOILER: Show
The only real outlier for the stabilization of Japan's film releases is Doraemon, which still made a boatload, but not as much as it usually does. This is probably due to it being a family film aimed primarily at toddlers and young elementary kids. I do not blame any mom or dad who did not want to deal with taking a their rugrats to the movies and having to explain to them why it was very important for them to wear their stuffy mask the entire time. Surprisingly though, the new Shin-chan movie is pretty much doing as well as they normally tend to, probably because it has more adult themes and fans... And also because it only does a fraction of what Doraemon normally does, so it probably didn't have the crowd problems that Doraemon had to begin with.

Because of all this evidence of an Eva release being able to be as financially successful as ever, I HONESTLY just thought their continued postponement was because they just didn't want people to experience the film in this pandemic environment. Basically, it wasn't a financial choice as much as it was a choice of pride.
HOWEVER, with this new announcement of these re-releases in theaters though, there is a part of me that is going to be GENUINELY upset if there is gonna be a significant lag between them and the actual final film. It just seems douchey and hypocrital to tell your fans to go see these releases during the pandemic if you're not also willing to release the final film.

December 25th is also a pretty good date though, with Pokemon being the only other big release that day, and the two demographics have minimal overlap. (Wonder Woman is also scheduled, but various tabloids keep reporting that it is probably gonna be pushed to a 2021 release.) The only movie that would even be in the same realm of competiton of it at that time is a Fate/Grand Order movie, which will have been released 4 weeks prior, so not much competition at all.

And if we get a nice snowy scene in Shin Eva like in Until You Come To Me, winter really might be a perfect time for people to experience it. It will also be during Winter Break for schools, which is a hige plus.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:09 am

I think the only possible slot this year for Shin is mid-November, 1 month after Demon Slayer and 1 month before Pokémon. Not that it matters, I doubt it's coming this year.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:04 am

I'm sure the re-releases of Khara's older work aren't as complex as the release of Shin Eva, which currently has three different studios attached to that deal. Khara can release their old stuff pretty much whenever they want, but all of Toho and Toei have to be on the same page with Khara for Shin Eva's release. Those studios might have different feelings on the matter. Toho is starting to release films again, but Toei especially doesn't look like they've released a whole lot since the pandemic started Toei's next film, Mio's Cookbook, is slated to release in October 16, so we'll see what happens after that.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:33 am

View Original PostintermediateO wrote:I don't want to get my hopes up, BUT, I really hope this is pointing for a possible December 25th opening.

I feel if they were going to release the final film right after these three re-releases they would’ve announced that first. That’s the bigger deal - the first three movies have already turned a profit - and they would want to start marketing the final film first. The announcement would have first been “New Eva on Dec 25.” THEN shortly following up with “Re-releasing the first three a week apart in theaters beforehand”.

I do think though unlike the TV airings this re-release will certainly be when they announce when the final film should be re-expected. End of December is when they announced 3.0+1.0’s original release date.

But Khara plays by weird rules so who knows. A soft maybe.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:04 am

I really want to see this movie

I understand the situation, but it sucks. The worst part is knowing the movie exists somewhere in khara's office almost finished and no one will be able to see it until God knows when.

/rant off

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I'm sure the re-releases of Khara's older work aren't as complex as the release of Shin Eva, which currently has three different studios attached to that deal. Khara can release their old stuff pretty much whenever they want, but all of Toho and Toei have to be on the same page with Khara for Shin Eva's release. Those studios might have different feelings on the matter. Toho is starting to release films again, but Toei especially doesn't look like they've released a whole lot since the pandemic started Toei's next film, Mio's Cookbook, is slated to release in October 16, so we'll see what happens after that.

Shin's marketing so far has been in line with TOHO's schedule, even this 4D BS (I think it's an annoying gimmick) is their initiative. https://theater.toho.co.jp/toho_theater ... on-4d.html

intermediateO
Lilith

Postby intermediateO » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:17 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I feel if they were going to release the final film right after these three re-releases they would’ve announced that first. That’s the bigger deal - the first three movies have already turned a profit - and they would want to start marketing the final film first. The announcement would have first been “New Eva on Dec 25.” THEN shortly following up with “Re-releasing the first three a week apart in theaters beforehand”.

I agree that I think it would be smarter to reveal Shin Eva's date before or simultaneously with these 4DX showings, but on the other hand, I think it would be reaaaally stupid and kinda mean-spirited to do these re-releases during a time like this and then be like, "Look forward to 3.0+1.0 in 7 months! サービスサービス♪"

A lot of the Japanese commets on the video are already hopefully speculating that this is meant to lead up to Shin Eva's release right after, so if they were to announce that actually being the case in the next week or so, I can see why someone on Khara's marketing team thought it would be a good move to announce these re-releases first to get the anticipation and speculative juices flowing. Kinda like how game companies so annoyingly seem to always make announcements of their announcements like 2 weeks beforehand nowadays.

I won't be surprised if none of this happens, just disappointed, which is par for the course with Khara. Does anyone remember those naive days where they confidently advertised the final film as coming out in 2013 all the way up through 3.0's premiere? (*insert bitter old man emoji*)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:19 am

intermediateO wrote:Does anyone remember those naive days where they confidently advertised the final film as coming out in 2013 all the way up through 3.0's premiere? (*insert bitter old man emoji*)

I do sometimes wonder what my response would have been if in 2006 when Rebuild was announced (a mere six months after I saw my first episode of NGE) someone told me I wouldn't get to see the last film until 2021. That'd be like someone right now telling me "You won't see the conclusion of the DUNE adaptation until 2035." Would it make the wait better or worse knowing that?

Either way, I jest but I've been okay with the long wait. Making four animated films is a huge endeavor and Khara is not the assembly line team that puts out a new Pokemon, Detective Conan, etc movie every year. I've long held the biggest mistake Khara made was announcing the films as such all the way back then. At least when Anno took a pause to recharge his batteries he didn't take it easy but went off and made a little independent drama about government bureaucracy. That was a sweet/amazing little tale.

I've never seen a movie in 4D but I do kinda wish I could see 2.0 that way just because the Decontamination sequence to get into the aquarium would be nuts.

intermediateO
Lilith

Postby intermediateO » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:06 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I do sometimes wonder what my response would have been if in 2006 when Rebuild was announced (a mere six months after I saw my first episode of NGE) someone told me I wouldn't get to see the last film until 2021. That'd be like someone right now telling me "You won't see the conclusion of the DUNE adaptation until 2035." Would it make the wait better or worse knowing that?

Either way, I jest but I've been okay with the long wait. Making four animated films is a huge endeavor and Khara is not the assembly line team that puts out a new Pokemon, Detective Conan, etc movie every year. I've long held the biggest mistake Khara made was announcing the films as such all the way back then. At least when Anno took a pause to recharge his batteries he didn't take it easy but went off and made a little independent drama about government bureaucracy. That was a sweet/amazing little tale.

I've never seen a movie in 4D but I do kinda wish I could see 2.0 that way just because the Decontamination sequence to get into the aquarium would be nuts.

I see a 4DX movie about once a year here in Japan, just long enough to forget how bad it is before getting the urge to slurge for it again. Honestly, I may try and see 1.0, but I feel like there is no way I come out of it wanting to see the next two in 4D as well. The last one I saw was Rise of Skywalker, and the movie was so dark that the flash-bang things they used made some scenes really hard to make out during.

And definitely my biggest disappointment about Anno is that he basically pulled a Miyazaki with Khara, where instead of creating a place that fosters new talent and pushes the industry and medium foward, it is just a glorified echo chamber for the studio head.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”