Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Postby Stan » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:39 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:In unrelated news, today (in Japan, atleast) marks the official 25th annivesary of the first Evangelion episode being broadcasted to Japan, and essentially, the birth of Evangelion in Japan. Cheers to that, I guess.

Right now, the @evangelion_co account on Twitter is posting some commentary on the show's 25th anniversary done by the cast members.

And GKIDS announced today for the 25th anniversary that they're releasing Evangelion + 2 movies on blu ray in the West in 2021!

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:12 am

Anno's comment for the anniversary, plus "The latest rush screen of "Shin Evangelion Theatrical Version" D part (final block) October 2, 2020 version"

D part - 41 minutes 16 seconds 03K
(Scale before end roll)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:40 am

This one seems to indicate that Asuka was auditioned separately. Curious. The rest is general celebratory messages from seiyuu.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:44 am

View Original Postgirlifyoudidnt wrote:

Anno's comment for the anniversary, plus "The latest rush screen of "Shin Evangelion Theatrical Version" D part (final block) October 2, 2020 version"

D part - 41 minutes 16 seconds 03K
(Scale before end roll)

Well, 41m16s x 4 = around 2h44m

That's LONG. Either the movie is very long or D part is disproportionally long.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:49 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Well, 41m16s x 4 = around 2h44m

Please, God. Let my suffering not be short.

In all seriousness, this seems unlikely... didn't they say something about the film being kept under 2 hours because of Japanese theaters' requests?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:50 am

"Theaters are shut down, enlarge the movie"

- Anno

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:52 am

Ha after the year cinema and arts have had you’d think they say screw that we need bums on seats for as long as possible

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:56 am

What does “the latest rush screen” mean anyway??

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:57 am

It's commonly speculated (edited lol) that 3.0 had a D part which was eventually cut with the kids walking in the desert and all. Which would be supposed supposed to last what, 20 minutes? At least in the 3.0 context it'd be very much an epilogue to that movie, so I can only imagine this 41 minute section is Anno's Big Goodbye to Evangelion. Man, oh, man.

Then again, that'd leave 80 minutes for the "main" story. I guess not.

Let us not forget about the structure in the Rebuilds, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo-ha-ky%C5%AB

Thesufferingpumpkin wrote:What does “the latest rush screen” mean anyway??

He probably wanted to do some additional touches to some favourite scene, or maybe it's not even properly finished like I was wondering.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:04 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Well, 41m16s x 4 = around 2h44m

Sorry for being a downer but nothing about the D part being 41 minutes long gives any indication Final will be longer than the standard 2h max cap. The final climax segment is always the longest in this film format and there's no reason to assume parts A-C are anywhere near as long.

Just for comparison I took a look at my Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa guidebook as it has detailed breakdown of the movie. That film has 5 parts, A-E with the E part by far the longest (it covers the whole climax and one scene that is more leadup to it than anything).

In case of Sayonara:

E Part starts at 1h21min mark.

End credits start rolling at 1:49:30, total length is 1:54:22

So the final E segment is 28 minutes if we don't count the credits, 33 minutes if we count them. As Final will only have four parts anyhow I find it very unlikely D part being 41 minutes indicates the film is longer than the standard length.

Unfortunately that tweet revealed D part covers everything up to the "end roll". So it is confirmed Final will have end credits. Sad! No End of Evangelion cold ending stuff here.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:27 am

This just came from khara’s second account and it translates to this.

(I heard that if it exceeds 2 hours, it will be related to the number of screenings / day)

I had a Twitter friend who can speak Japanese and they replied with this

“ The khara nigouki account just commented on the runtime actually. She said that from the sounds of things, if the movie ends up going over 2 hours, it will just impact the amount of times it can be screened per day in a cinema. So yeah they've presumably been allowed.”

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:33 am

Ahh.

"D Part sure is long. I wonder how the total length will be."

"I heard if the length exceeds 2 hours this will affect number of screening times/slots and days."

I read this as indirect admission they will do everything they can do to keep it under 2 hours. As was to be expected all along, of course.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:41 am

In a weird way because of this awful awful year, the studios and the cinemas will hopefully go to Anno,

Look it’s been a shit year, this is the most anticipated anime film in the world right now, if you feel that the best of this movie will be served in over 2 hours, go for it. We’ll make it work.

Anno has given 17 years of his life to Evangelion, let him end it on his terms in the way he wants to end it

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:11 am

I finally read Anno's statement and he's more blunt about this really being the end for Eva than I expected.

Translation here

intermediateO
Lilith

Postby intermediateO » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:01 am

Troll Theory:

This D-Part is the beginning of the film(the missing D-Part from 3.0). The "end roll" will be like the mid-credits of End Of Eva, ending the 「:3.0」 part and ushering in the the 「+1.0」 part of the title.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:15 am

So... are they gonna let Anno have full control of the lengh of the movie, or is he going to Cut anything?
Last edited by Mr. M on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:24 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:So... are they gonna let Anno have full control of the lengh of the movie, or is Khara Khara going to Cut anything?

Khara is Anno's own company and he has absolute authority on all Eva-related decisions like this. He's also the sole owner of the Original Creator credit too now.

So if he wants to make 3 hour Evangelion film he can.

However, given the way screening slots work in film theatre business making a 3 hour film means you will have far less opportunities to screen a film per day/per week/per month than if it stays under 2 hours. This directly and indirectly affects film's earning potential. Some theatres which would take a 2 hour anime film on rotation would skip on a longer anime feature without hestiation too.

Animation is also very expensive format to work in. One minute of extra animation costs far more to produce than one extra minute of digital live action film, for example.

It's because of practical and financial concerns like this you almost never have anime features that cross the 2 hour mark, and if they do it's only by few minutes. Later Hayao Miyazaki films regularly pass the 2 hour mark, but then again those are Miyazaki films.

The longest anime films of all time are some old Yamato movies and Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and even they are in 2h40-45min range IIRC. While I would love to get 3 hour Evangelion film it's never going to happen.
Last edited by Xard on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby dzzthink » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:24 am

Honestly hoping Eva 4 is a 4 hour movie
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:42 am

I would love a really long Eva film, but everything points to a film that's around 2 hours. And knowing Anno, there's probably going to be so much to decipher that it could just as well be a 4-hour film, since at least 2 viewings is necessary to get anything resembling a coherent view of what happens. EoE was 89 minutes and that has enough for a 6-hour miniseries from Kubrick/Tarvosky/Lynch/Fellini.

Xard, when it comes to Miyazaki, the only film of his that is substantially over the 2-hour mark is Princess Mononoke at 133 minutes and that was supposed to be Miyazaki's last film (dude's incapable of retirement)- it makes sense that no one would bat an eye. Everything else over the 2-hour mark doesn't go over 126 minutes, so it's not that big a difference and I don't imagine any big businessman particularly caring.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:13 am

Let's hope that if something's cut (I hope not) it' s going to be' on the home video release.
For now, the lengh of the movie is 51:56:02, with four parts missing.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”