Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:27 am

I can’t imagine any scenario where music was under production but voices hadn’t been recorded yet. I’m fairly certain the cast’s roles are complete, save for maybe a few pick-ups in the final stages of editing.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:57 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I can’t imagine any scenario where music was under production but voices hadn’t been recorded yet. I’m fairly certain the cast’s roles are complete, save for maybe a few pick-ups in the final stages of editing.

Keep in mind that Sagisu doesn't AFAIK compose to the film, it seems like Anno edits to the music. So I think after discussions with Anno he probably composes very soon.

@Joseki: Would alsi like to know what Tsurumaki meant there.

@KRandMJ: Pretty sure it's animation. They have been working on the film for two years, I think that's double the time EoE took.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

DrthRvn
Embryo

Postby DrthRvn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Probably just a background video, but i don’t know...

DrthRvn
Embryo

Postby DrthRvn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:02 pm

Can someone tell if this is new or something from 3.33?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:09 pm

That is the digital department practicing replicating a 2D scene in 3D. The original is from the dogma fight in 3.33. EDIT: Specifically, it's cut #1151 from 3.33.

They seem to be doing a lot that kind of 3D work, most notably for the Animator Expo (Rapid Rouge and Cassette Girl)

EDIT 2:

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Keep in mind that Sagisu doesn't AFAIK compose to the film, it seems like Anno edits to the music.

Neither is the case. Remember how for each movie we got two disc soundtracks where one disc is the raw musical pieces first composed and the other is the edited-down music pieces actually used in the film? Sagisu could have composed the raw stuff years ago based on the script and notes from Anno, but that won't be finalized until the movie itself it finalized.
Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Settie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:14 pm

^ Pretty sure that scene is from the Shinji vs Asuka fight in 3.0. I'm assuming it's showcasing the way some scenes are animated.

Might be wrong on this but doesn't Japanese animation do voice work later on in the process compared to western animation? I know that in Pixar stuff and TV cartoons voice work is usually done early on with animation done afterwards. If Anno is already doing some editing then there's a good chance that the movie is further along than it may seem.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 pm

View Original PostSettie wrote:Might be wrong on this but doesn't Japanese animation do voice work later on in the process compared to western animation? I know that in Pixar stuff and TV cartoons voice work is usually done early on with animation done afterwards. If Anno is already doing some editing then there's a good chance that the movie is further along than it may seem.

With the notable exception of Akira, the standard practice in Japanese animation is to animate first and then have the actors record their dialogue while the animation is playing in front of them.

In Western Animation, the process is reversed: Dialogue is recorded first and then the animators have to match the preferred audio take.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:36 am

View Original PostDrthRvn wrote:
Probably just a background video, but i don’t know...

Uhhh, it's really hard to read Anno's message.

Sagisu could have composed the raw stuff years ago based on the script and notes from Anno, but that won't be finalized until the movie itself it finalized.

Yeah, Anno doesn't take the music exactly as is, but he still seems to construct scenes around it, and the compositions are done early on, even it's just as demos (not after the film is finished).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:09 am

Flailing armless CGI Space Pirate Captain Asuka is terrifying. It is an offense to life itself.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:38 am

The eyes are terrifying. The body has a lot of expression but without voice, arms or pupils it feels like she wants to scream but she can't communicate.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:16 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Flailing armless CGI Space Pirate Captain Asuka is terrifying. It is an offense to life itself.

I wonder if Miyazaki would say that when it's something from his buddy's studio.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:26 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Uhhh, it's really hard to read Anno's message.

It says:
Introduction
Pictures have a unique charm called [image] on them. This is because they materialize their author's pure image and establish a picture of that certain picture.

I think this is a remarkable observation regarding animation.

What will turn into that [picture]'s plan is called [Picture Board]. In Animation, this is what will become the drawn basis of the [Basic Layout] and the [Key Frames] -When all these, with the time axis, called [Time Sheet] join together it can be formed into what we call animation these days.

The beginning of this system is based on [Layouts, Key Frames and Time Sheets]. The people in charge of these three are called Animators. Animators play the roles of graphic artists, actors and cameramen at the same time.

Of course, videos are formed by [Images], a [Time Axis], and [sound] on their final forms. In short, they turn into a [film]. I would like you all to think this is a job in which animation is something coming from a detailed image emerging from a pencil, to become its own world and life.

By Anno Hideaki
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 am

∆ I actually managed to read it, killing my eyes in the process.
It's good to have a typed out version.
In the greetings section it also quotes Anno saying he thinks watching animation is fun, creating animation is even more fun.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:51 pm

View Original PostDrthRvn wrote:

Can someone tell if this is new or something from 3.33?

Google translate: "In the studio color digital division, animation tests are being carried out while considering a new mechanism regarding character hair expression in 3DCG."

So yes, this seems new.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:21 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:It says:

Looks like the first paragraph of the Groundwork of Evangelion preface translated into English.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

shinhito
Adam

Postby shinhito » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Well it seems a lot of people are confused about the animation process for anime. But the one thing that is important to remember is that there is a lot of editing that goes on throughout the process...

Here is a rough summary of Anime production and not all production companies work the same, but they generally follow similar procedures.

The Directors take the script and divvy it up among themselves and storyboard the whole thing. Hideaki Anno is the 'Chief Director' for the Evangelion movies but in the credits you can see that many are credited as 'Directors' such as Kazuya Tsurumaki and Mahiro Maeda. Once the storyboard is done, an animatic is created from the boards. It is here that the timing for the whole movie is initially decided, even length of dialogue is timed out here without voice actors in Anime. It is from this animatic that timesheets are drawn up and then the cuts are passed out to layout artists who decide the look and feel of the scene according to the storyboards. After the layouts are done, they're edited into the animatic over the storyboards. The scenes with layouts completed are then passed to the assigned keyframe animator who uses the layout to draw the key action of the scene. Again, once they're completed they're edited into the animatic to see how things are flowing together. After keyframe animation, then comes a check by the animation supervisor and sometimes the director themselves for important scenes (Anno has a lot of changes shown in the Groundwork of Evangelion books for the NTE movies). After the animation supervisors okay the scene it is then passed down to the in-between animators who draw up the animation frames between the keyframes, this is often outsourced or a very low-paying or entry-level job. Then after another animation check pass, the scene is sent to Color and Finishing and then the final finish scene is compiled with all of the finished elements.

If you've watched the special features on the NTE Evangelion home releases you can see a lot of scenes as they go through each of these processes. But it's important to note that after each step of production it is edited into a rough cut, and even after scenes are finished some scenes might be edited for pacing.

So I don't mean to burst any hope bubbles, but without knowing the specifics 'editing' is such a widely used term during the production that it could mean they're in any step of production. Anno is notorious as a fastidious and involved director so he's probably always editing and tweaking.
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:51 am

I still think it's a pretty specific thing to say during an event like this.
They knew he was doing it, even though they are the marketing team. So it was probably a multiple day task, or at least important enough to point out.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:49 pm

The hype inducing part of the tweet was the "promotion will start soon" part instead of the editing part for me. I just want to see a frame, a cryptic CGI piano or a context-less quote from the movie to speculate, I'm starving for new Eva material. :lol:

If I'm reading this correctly, Project Studio Q is now a "functional" studio.

shinhito
Adam

Postby shinhito » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:10 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I still think it's a pretty specific thing to say during an event like this.
They knew he was doing it, even though they are the marketing team. So it was probably a multiple day task, or at least important enough to point out.

Or it was easy publicity by stroking endless speculation from very little. :tongue:

Unfortunately we won't know what stage of production it's in until something concrete is released. Like I said, a lot of 'editing' happens during animation, and each cut goes through so many numerous iterations (you can see this in the Rebuild feature on the NTE releases) all of which could be called 'editing' from a PR standpoint, or a marketing person running the social media pages who isn't knowledgeable about production terms. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Shhh, don't say these things.
The movie is coming out...like, next week. I'm sure.

EDIT:
Just a pic of the recent artbook event, I think:
[url]
https://twitter.com/eva_information/sta ... 29057?s=09[/url]

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”