Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Something I just noticed:

The official site's English poster for 3.0+1.0 is using the traditional Neon Genesis Evangelion title font instead of Anno's handwritten Evangelion title font that the Rebuilds have been using in every single poster up until this point.

Even more sequel theory trolling/hinting from Anno.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby Joseki » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:22 pm

It's the same with the Japanese title and the kanji used for "Evangelion", so the callback to NGE is surely intentional and he wants the fans to notice it.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm curious as to the reasoning, Perhaps it's more a case of thematics rather than something more literal like the sequel/time loop theory, similar to the visual callbacks to NGE in the previous films
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:43 pm

All of the eye-catch title cards in the middle of the new movies had the NGE font. In this context, maybe the eye-catch titles are visually foreshadowing to Shin Eva's main title.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:09 pm

The new Khara instagram account just posted what looks to be the original sketch of the website artwork & just outside the frame it says in English - PAN DOWN.

Me thinks this could be official confirmation that short of any cold open - I'm putting my money on flashback/action setpiece of when Yui was first absorbed into Unit 01 - the poster image could end being the first shot of Final. One where we open on those glorious Kharaesque blue skies and then pan down to that blood red wasteland where three tiny figures can be seen walking together far off in the distance. A reverse of the final shot in 3.0 where we Panned Up.

Also there's other stuff written in the lower right hand corner but Khara has pixelated it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXJxmQ1gsH1/?taken-by=khara_inc

Also of note to think about, in the 5 years since 3.0 was released social media has gone through a pretty remarkable evolution when it comes to film marketing so we may see Khara share more juicy nuggets throughout production than in the past. Casual sketch shares & whatnot. Things might not be so quiet with long pauses between info releases after all. Mind you, I doubt Khara with their strict marketing control will ever drop anything too spoilery of course, I mean these are the masterminds who kept the ENTIRE narrative twist of 3.0 completely underwraps until after first public screenings in Japan had finished!

GoatJesus
Adam

Postby GoatJesus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:57 pm

"反" being translated as "Anti" is kinda' strange. I think this is a puzzle. In the English version from Khara there are two particular phrases capitalized. "THE END" and "NOT ANTI." "NOT ANTI" of course evokes "You can (NOT)". If that's the case, the film should be called Evangelion 3.0+1.0 You Can (NOT) Anti. Maybe it's "The Anti-Evangelion" (lol)? Though again, "反", is translated oddly. I think the English translation SHOULD be "reverse" instead of "anti." Along with the random "NOT" I think it's "You can NOT Reverse."

As for the Japanese, I think we'll find the pronunciation for ":||" is "終" Tsui or owari.

A hang-up. Not sure how You can (NOT) Reverse is different from not "Redo"ing. Hehehe.

PS: Those posters from a while back look remarkably similar conceptually to this one.
Last edited by GoatJesus on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoatJesus
Adam

Postby GoatJesus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:04 pm

I think this film is going to be interesting.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:55 pm

View Original PostGoatJesus wrote:I think this film is going to be interesting.

Well, that's kind of a given.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:03 am

The "PAN DOWN" makes me think that my theory of that being the first shot of the movie and a parallel to the last shot of Q was right.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby LightDragonman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:38 am

Soooo does this mean that this film's gonna pick up immediately after the end of the previous film, ala Return Of The King / The Matrix Revolutions?
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:50 am

I can also see the possibility of the film starting with a flashback covering Asuka's experiences through the time skip and Q ending with this shot bringing us back into the continuing story.

There's also the matter of until You come to me and the Petit Film which both contain matter thought to be from an extended ending of Q. The question is whether that was abandoned because of time, to make a stronger ending for Q, or because that story-line direction was abandoned - in which case we shouldn't be looking for anything much like them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 am

The art has 3.0+1.0 written on it, it should be from the movie. Even if the shot itself isn't in the movie it could be thematically linked to it like the poster with Kaworu and Shinji was linked to Q's plot.

I also think that Asuka's past would be too dramatic to be an opening scene.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:53 am

Do you not think that the opening scenes of the previous three movies were dramatic?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:26 am

I think they were action packed more than emotionally dramatic, but if they want to go with the "ANTI" as a theme they could start with a calm scene in the desert.

And we have a sort confirmation that the image is linked to the last shot of Q:

GoatJesus
Adam

Postby GoatJesus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:30 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8yHcPUOolf2SWxaaDV1b1VNYUk/view?usp=sharing

I took a photograph someone took of the finished poster and fixed it up a bit in Photoshop. This is theoretically what the finished version looks like in Hi-Rez.

I wasn't able to to use the IMG coding--so a link will have to do.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:07 am

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-5155.html
The poster is really making the rounds. I'm not sure where this one is. Wondercon, maybe?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

distopia
Lilith

Postby distopia » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:36 am

https://twitter.com/khara_inc/status/891602775557144576

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF-b_4aW0AEwiP0.jpg

What is this booklet? The one offered during the 10 years Khara Exhibit?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:00 pm

I wonder if the power lines could be symbolic for the communication breakdown? In the final shot of 3.0 there's only one that's broken down and nearly buried, but in the new poster there are several that are worn and damaged but still standing. :chinscratch:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

The Cruel
Banned

Postby The Cruel » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:54 pm

LightDragonman wrote:Soooo does this mean that this film's gonna pick up immediately after the end of the previous film, ala Return Of The King / The Matrix Revolutions?
Would this be surprising if it does?

With 3.0 the last act of the Jo-ha-kyū structure of Rebuild started, though it wasn't the end or it would've been unnecessary to make 3.0+1.0 hence why it isn't called 4.0 straight away or the meaning of rebuilds story structure would've been ruined.

Rebuild is shown in four movies though the story is told in three acts because of the Jo-ha-kyū structure and so 3.0 was despite being called Q just the beginning of the last act and 3.0+1.0 completes it and ends the story of Rebuild.

Think of it the same way of MGS5 with Ground Zeros and Phantom Pain and Mockingjay from the Hunger Games.

Also the earler plans for 3.0+1.0 was about to release it together with 3.0 and we got only 3.0.

GoatJesus wrote:PS: Those posters from a while back look remarkably similar conceptually to this one.

I mentioned this before. Here is my actual post about it as a reminder for you.
The Cruel wrote:Like every friday, even today I was looking for any news about Eva, even asking myself if there 'll be any news about 3.0+1.0.

And now seeing this artwork poster here, I'm not sure what to think or feel about it now. Happy? Affraid? Uncertain?

Since the very day I know Eva and since I've seen 3.0 and how it shocked and traumatised me so horrobly and even now it still haunts me, I'm not sure how this continues and ends in 3.0+1.0 after all what happened.

Everything can happen in 3.0+1.0 because of how uncertain it is, but no matter what happens there, everything what 'll happen in 3.0+1.0 is the final consequence of what happened prior in Rebuild and 3.0 and it is irreversible. There 'll be no way back and everyone 'll get what they deserve form what they have done and what they 'll do.

It 'll be the day of vengeance and truth when 3.0+1.0 'll be released. And everyone 'll dread and beg for this to end.

That's why I don't want to expect and hope anything from 3.0+1.0. I won't make the same mistake as other did when NGE ended. All I want is that Eva finally ends and no more, so I'm done with it.

I won't feel myself any different from watching 3.0+1.0 than how I felt after watching EoE and 3.0.

About the artwork poster itself: It's strongly reminiscent to those two unoffical posters for 3.0+1.0 which are very atmospheric too.
SPOILER: Show

I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:06 pm

High res close up  SPOILER: Show

:nyao:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”