Stuff that you would like to see in Evangelion 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Stuff that you would like to see in Evangelion 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:43 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:Blockio saying that TheEndWalker was way too confident in his facts and then proceeding to give your speculation as fact which got to me. Since TheEndWalker is new here, I somehow felt the need to point it out

Guess I'm gonna have to plead guilty to that
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:56 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:While I don't agree with the later sentiment that the characters in Rebuild feel like archetypes I do fully agree with the hope for more screen time spent on characters and less on action set pieces. As much as I love the action and world building being done in the film, my favorite part of 3.0 is the slow burn second act when it's just Shinji trying to find purpose at NERV.

Yeah, the action scenes in the beginning of 3.0 are certainly meant to throw the audience into confusion. While I love that and think that it s a bold decision by Anno, it does mean that the only action scene with any known stakes to it is the final one, and even that one throws yet another twist on everything. As a result, they really don’t feel like action scenes in the traditional scenes of the term (there’s no known stakes to which to have any anchored emotional response), so the character building stuff in the middle feels a lot stronger and more anchored in the rest of the narrative than the action scenes.

So Eva Q as a whole comes off as:

Act 1: Bewildering yet awesome action scenes that confuse the audience where the stakes change every 10 minutes.

Act 2: Shinji is confused and tries to find an emotional anchor in Kaworu, which, the audience also being just as confused as Shinji, makes perfect sense.

Act 3: More weird and unexplained awesome action scenes where the stakes change every 10 minutes.

I personally loved the ride, but can see where that’s why people left the Eva Train after that film, as it doesn’t make for anywhere near as satisfying of a film as many think it should be. I can’t wait to see if all of the action scenes in 3.0 become anchored in something concrete in Thrice Upon a Time, either by way of more traditionally established action scenes or through some juicy/heavy/heady character development scenes.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:49 am

∆ But wouldn't you say that's just the first time watch (although to some people that might be the only watch)?

I think I felt in Shinji's skin in all three acts, so that worked for me as an angle to feel things from.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:59 am

Even upon repeated viewings, the action scenes don’t behave like traditional action scenes. There’s no sense of “This specific obstacle is the thing that we have to overcome,” and the characters spend the length of the scene (Or movie, for that matter) either succeeding at overcoming that obstacle or failing to overcome it and then “leveling up” to finally conquer it the next/final action scene. The targets are always ill-defined to Shinji, which deflates any sense of cathartic rising action within the film. Again, this is all intentional, and it does help us feel like we’re “in Shinji’s skin,” as you said, but it never feels like the cathartic action scenes some people seem to be expecting from Eva. (Which is weird, because have they seen NGE? Non-cathartic action scenes typically become the norm after the first half.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:00 am

I love the Wunder action scene because it highlights exactly what Misato told Shinji. "We got this. You're not needed as an Eva pilot." After two films of Shinji suffering because he had to be in an Eva because there was no one else, he's now awoken in a world where an Angel level threat can be defeated without his life having to be put on the line.

If there was anything I would change in the first act of the film it would be to simply add a reaction shot or two of Shinji during the battle to show him becoming aware. But I do love that quick cut back to him after the Wunder has victoriously won the battle and Shinji is just defeated having seen that yeah, he really isn't needed right now.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:17 am

The targets are always ill-defined to Shinji, which deflates any sense of cathartic rising action within the film

Yes, I definitely see this.
There is a constant sense odf defeat.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 am

But I do love that quick cut back to him after the Wunder has victoriously won the battle and Shinji is just defeated having seen that yeah, he really isn't needed right now.

I kinda like that you don't see him till then, because you sort of forget about him. Really makes it feel like isn't needed.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

How do you think the final rebuild should go?

•      
  •      

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sun May 03, 2020 7:23 pm

The final entry doesn’t have to have a happy ending per se, just something that provides the audience a sense of relief and leaves several questions pondering inside their head. Ultimately, I believe the ending should be bittersweet and triumphant.

My interpretation of the next movie is that the four impacts will be interpreted at the four horsemen of the apocalypse, and there will be these “seals” that only Shinji and Gendo can open to “restart” the world, just like in Revelations, as they are descendants from the Tribe of David. All the while we take a trip into his mind, with similar themes in End of Evangelion. Except this time, his breakdowns won’t spell doom and gloom, but will affect him greatly. We also take a trip through the minds of others as they recount their lives. All the while, Asuka and Shinji will develop a mentor-student relationship and the spark between Rei and Shinji is reignited. Time begins to run out as an entire army of evas from an organization known as SEELE attempts to destroy Nerv. Instead of an instrumentality project, Seele plans on capturing humans to harvest their souls like livestock to power their own Eva’s for the sake of a new world order no matter the methods, and intend to let no one break the Seven Seals. Meanwhile, WILLE is in complete ruins. Then you have similar segments from End of Evangelion as well. During the climax, Shinji and the others defend nerv at all costs, but they all get beaten up as Gendo breaks the seals one by one. Shinji sees Asuka’s Eva fall and he suffers a bear complete breakdown until a mirage of Karwou enters his mind and gives him a “eureka” moment. Shinji is no longer a boy now, but a man as he pushes his Eva to the absolute limit, seemingly breaking bones in his body as his unit takes the tool. The seven seals are broken as Gendo sheds a tear for his son, and the world flashes white. Much later, Shinji awakens many years later to find himself still in his own Eva unit, now rusted. He goes out to see the world is green again, with plants and sunlight and wildlife. He sees no humans. But Under a lone tree, he sees Rei, in a white dress, who turns to smile at him and say, “This is not the end.” And the movie would finish.

What do you think of it?
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Not really that relevant to the story but I would really like to see at least one Shinji/Asuka kiss perhaps a scene in which Asuka is gravely injured so to motivate Shinji, she gives him a pep talk and a kiss to get in the robot one last time.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue May 12, 2020 5:54 pm

^ So, basically Misato's death scene from EoE, but with Asuka instead.

Yuko Miyamura is too talented of an actress for me to emotionally survive a scene like that. Heck, to tell you the truth, I don't even know how I survived ANY of the performances in EoE.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue May 12, 2020 7:04 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ So, basically Misato's death scene from EoE, but with Asuka instead.

Yuko Miyamura is too talented of an actress for me to emotionally survive a scene like that. Heck, to tell you the truth, I don't even know how I survived ANY of the performances in EoE.

Yeah, basically swap out Misato with Asuka and that's the type of scene I was going for. :tongue:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 13, 2020 9:43 am

I could actually see them doing that. The Rebuilds love to zig where the original zagged and Post Third Impact Asuka is roughly the same age Misato was in comparison to Shinji in EOE and could play that part if needed.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 am

I want to see Shinji smile and find some peace, in the real world this time.

13thangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 13thangel » Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 pm

I just want to see Shinji and Asuka find the acceptance and belonging that they both have always wanted, and the only way i can see that happening is through eachother. not overly romantic as that’s not the EVA way, but just a couple of emotionally impactful scenes that touches directly on that. I also really can’t wait for an updated release date because i’m really beginning to think i may die before getting to see the final film

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 27, 2020 11:29 pm

13thangel wrote:I just want to see Shinji and Asuka find the acceptance and belonging that they both have always wanted

I think Asuka has found that acceptance and belonging. She's 28 years old and is likely the world's best Eva pilot. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out in Thrice Upon A Time that Asuka, all things considered with it being an apocalypse (how timely), that she is is doing very well, has found herself and is maybe even flourishing in this Red Earth. Aside from having to deal with this reminder from her pain, she certainly doesn't seem conflicted or lost about much in 3.0.

I would love to see her take on a mentor type role to Shinji in the final film. A romantic relationship between the two of them is pretty much out of the question and a friendship will have a long way to go but I can see them reach a mutual understanding of one another and Asuka agreeing to be present to help him through.

Either way, yeah. I'm so excited and interested to see where the final film will go.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 28, 2020 3:22 pm

Unless Eva is gonna double down on a squicky, pseudo-insestual pairing with Rei, NTE’s only viable OTP for Shinji is Kaworu. (That is, if Sakura doesn’t become super interested in Shinji half way through Shin Eva.)

Honestly, I think Eva Q was all about stripping Shinji from dependence on others so he can learn how to love himself for his own sake in Shin Eva. Finding fulfillment in others isn’t the point of Eva. The point is that your existence is meaningful by itself. Sure, other people have help shape and define you (Episode 26 tells us that), but Shinji has to learn that his existence is meaningful outside of Rei or Asuka. (Or even Kaworu, for that matter.)

Also, Shinji never had a shot with Mari.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Fri May 29, 2020 5:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Unless Eva is gonna double down on a squicky, pseudo-insestual pairing with Rei, NTE’s only viable OTP for Shinji is Kaworu. (That is, if Sakura doesn’t become super interested in Shinji half way through Shin Eva.)

Honestly, I think Eva Q was all about stripping Shinji from dependence on others so he can learn how to love himself for his own sake in Shin Eva. Finding fulfillment in others isn’t the point of Eva. The point is that your existence is meaningful by itself. Sure, other people have help shape and define you (Episode 26 tells us that), but Shinji has to learn that his existence is meaningful outside of Rei or Asuka. (Or even Kaworu, for that matter.)

Also, Shinji never had a shot with Mari.

Do you think that might be one of the reasons why Anno did that huge 14 year time skip with 3.0? By purposely making Asuka, Mari and everyone else way older than Shinji now (not to mention killing off Kaworu and having Shinji find out that he and Rei are related), Anno has pretty much made it nearly impossible for Shinji to ever be in a relationship with any of them. It's like he's trying to force the fans to let go of this notion of Shinji ever being in a relationship with anyone by making it so that they've all either outgrown him or creating some kind of barrier to prevent it, like death or familial relation.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 29, 2020 8:39 pm

^ Well, Shinji can still be in a "relationship" with people, but just not a sexual/romantic one. But I don't think Anno has anything particular to say about sexuality in these newer movies. The fan service in NTE almost seems like it's there to visually introduce the notion of sexuality only for it to be subverted by the rest of the narrative, even long before the 14-year time skip. For example, Misato's "It's not like I'm gonna lay a hand on him" comment in 1.11 is confirmed to 100% be a bad joke by the halfway point of the movie, and not some weird bit of foreshadowing. Shinji and Asuka don't sleep face-to-face in 2.22 like they did in Episode 9 of the TV series. Instead, they sleep back-to-back. Rei II seems more interested in reuniting Shinji and Gendo, and doesn't seem to desire him in a carnal sense. And Shnji's response to these interactions is less leering as well. He doesn't try to take a peek on Asuka dressing, he doesn't awkwardly respond to getting face-slapped with Mari's boobs, and the time he walked in on Rei II naked leads to him averting his eyes at the shadow of her changing into her plug suit at the end of the movie.

In fact, the only sexy thing happening in all of these movies is Kaji. He's the one with an active on-screen (though non-graphic) sexual relationship, and it's structured to stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the series. All of his innuendos he tells Shinji about Misato go right over his head, and the one he said about Shinji that does land almost felt a little too threatening. He's hitting on Ritsuko just to get Misato all riled up, going on dates with Misato, leaving suggestive messages on her answering machine, taking a sly glance at her bum while getting drunk... it's awesome!

And then, just like that, he vanished from our lives, and we don't know what ever happened to that magnificently sexy beast of a man... He'd better be bringing sexy back in Shin Eva, goddamnit!

Instead these new movies seem to have a laser focus on the concept of loneliness and the fight for acceptance. Asuka doesn't sleep with Shinji because she thinks he's cute (though it looked like she had feelings about Rei getting close to Shinji for a bit there), but rather because she's tired of being alone. Rei's heart feels warm when she's with Shinji, and wants it to feel even warmer when Shinji and Gendo are together. Again, staving off loneliness. Misato straight-up tells Ritsuko in 1.11 that Shinji isn't doing things just to please her as a woman, but to please his father and find acceptance in him. The new series is really just about loneliness and wanting to find acceptance, and doesn't waste time with sexuality outside of a few fun fan-service shots. Even the closeness he does feel towards Kaworu, while clearly steering towards the romantic is some ways, never feels physical or sexual; it's purely emotional, rewarding Shinji with acceptance and not with a sexual relationship. 3.0 stripping all of those people away from Shinji with the 14-year time skip and killing Kaworu is less about Shinji not being able to date anybody, but more about Shinji just not being able to relate to anyone or anything anymore. He can't find acceptance anymore, and that just makes him feel more lonely.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Sat May 30, 2020 1:45 am

I get what you're saying, but I think this might end up doing more harm than good to Shinji, and I don't just mean in regards to Shinji ever having a romantic relationship with someone, but his social bonds with people in general. I always finding myself wondering, was the 14 year time skip REALLY necessary? Shinji is so disconnected from everyone now because of it. Everyone he has ever known has now grown up, matured and left him behind. Shinji already had trouble forming bonds and connections with people, and right as he was finally starting to get the hang of it, the 14 year time skip happens and undos all of it. How is he supposed to form bonds and connections with anyone now that they're all so far ahead of him mentally and outgrown him? He's basically a stranger in a strange land.

It's not like he can just meet new people either, because everyone his age from the newer generation has probably been raised to believe that Shinji is some sort of super villain that caused Third Impact, and so would probably hate him and want nothing to do with him. I don't get it, what was Anno trying to accomplish with that 14 year time skip that couldn't have been done just as effectively by having Unit-01 spit Shinji out after only a few months like it did in the original series, and then having the rest of the movie proceed as it did with Shinji waking up onbaord the Wunder? He's now made it virtually impossible for Shinji to ever have any sort of genuine bond with anyone. How is Shinji supposed to grow as a person in this type of situation where he's been socially stunted to such a degree? No matter what he does, Shinji will feel like he just doesn't belong anymore.

Even if he ends up finding some self-wroth, what then? Become a hermit and live the rest of his life as some sort of social outcast? That can't be healthy. There's no way that having Shinji be denied any sort of future bond with anyone will result in him becoming a mentally healthy and functional adult. Humans are social animals. They need each other to survive and thrive. Scientific studies have even shown that loneliness can shorten people's lifespans, so in a sense, someone can literally die of loneliness, and lonely is what Shinji is going to be living the rest of his life as a pariah, self-worth or no. It's such a bleak and depressing outcome for Shinji. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to off himself in the movie because of how out of place and disconnected from everyone he feels now.

Shun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shun » Sat May 30, 2020 3:08 am

This is exactly the point. Think about Noriko in Gunbuster, jump 12000 years, how will she relate and define her place in the new world? Think about Anno when he said he was an anime fan for 21 years and was getting lost, how did he adapt? In NTE the 14-year time skip is used to create this period of emptiness that separates Shinji from the others, so that in Shin Eva Anno shows us how to bridge this distance.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
My articles about Evangelion
My Evangelion website

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”