If he's actually alive... [Kaji and Misato's relationship]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
IfallOnTragedy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby IfallOnTragedy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:57 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:As for Kaji, I bet he doesn't even appear in 4.0, but it's never made clear if he is alive or dead.

SPOILER: Show

Not something you say to refer to a dead man I think.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:42 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Pretty sure Kaji's alive & that he's going to be the one to give Shinji some major exposition. He's always been the one adult who openly speaks to Shinji. That was kinda his whole deal in 2.0.

You're really the only one on this entire forum who can get my hopes up over anything in this production, you know that? I'm usually more the "Let's wait and see what Anno wants" kinda guy, but I seriously want to sacrifice someone's first-born child to get some of the things you say to happen in these films.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:42 am

View Original PostIfallOnTragedy wrote:

More than content you want to wonder why namedropping while Shinji can't hear that to be punched in the gut later, I can only assume it to be a suggestion to the audience Kaji is somewhere doing stuff.:/
Could be dead and everything to add to Misato's character which is a possibility but that doesn't help does it.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:48 am

If he's anything like the way Misato is in 3.0. I would prefer that he doesn't make an appearance. I already had my heart ripped out once.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:00 am

I doubt it. Q did its emotional job, there's no point of Final to simply repeat that
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:04 am

View Original PostRay wrote:If he's anything like the way Misato is in 3.0. I would prefer that he doesn't make an appearance. I already had my heart ripped out once.

"Misato in 3.0" hahahaha!

Misato's always been the no-nonsense, "I'll do it myself" kind of character in both versions of Evangelion. She simply seems to be less "Beer is good" this time around as well, sobering her out a bit more. (Kinda like how it also happened in the original NGE. She got off the booze and spoke more direct and cold things to Shinji there too.)

IfallOnTragedy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby IfallOnTragedy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:51 pm

View Original Postunz wrote:More than content you want to wonder why namedropping while Shinji can't hear that to be punched in the gut later, I can only assume it to be a suggestion to the audience Kaji is somewhere doing stuff.:/
Could be dead and everything to add to Misato's character which is a possibility but that doesn't help does it.

There's no purpose in namedropping Kaji in that manner if he wasn't alive. They could have not mentioned him, or alluded to him in the way of Toji, and that would have accomplished the "Oh guess Kaji's dead" feeling just fine. But the assumption the want is for us to figure he is alive.

Which brings me to the question, since he's alive, what his relationship with Misato would look like. Just because Misato is unfeeling towards Shinji and maybe the crew means she does not have a good relationship with Kaji? I don't think so.

And agreed. Seeing Kaji again (even if he's more "gruff") would be much preferable to him being killed off backscreen when he only appeared in one movie.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:52 pm

I was supporting your post, if he's dead they can't have a relationship and the constant reminder of the line being gratuitous but not that explicit only to say he's dead or something doesn't help discuss things does it?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:38 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I seriously want to sacrifice someone's first-born child to get some of the things you say to happen in these films.

WOULD YOU SACRIFICE Misato AND Kaji'S FIRST-BORN!?!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:05 am

^Hah so many sad ways to make room for Shinji.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: If he's actually alive... [Kaji and Misato's relationshi

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:51 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I almost made a joke about Kaji being a stay at home dad in the next movie. :lol:

Shit I wanted to make that one! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:24 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:WOULD YOU SACRIFICE Misato AND Kaji'S FIRST-BORN!?!

No, but only because that would mean not seeing their first born in the film itself.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:04 pm

You're welcome.

It just makes sense to me that Kaji is alive & he'll the one to give Shinji the context he needs. Misato & Asuka are very inwardly drawn people so they're opening up to Shinji is a conflict. While he's a mystery professionally & politically - what with being a double/triple agent - as a person Kaji has always been an open book. Isn't he the one who opens up to Shinji about what life was like after Second Impact in Sadamoto's manga? It's 100% in his character. So the idea that he's the one person who could sit Shinji down, pour him a drink - maybe some of the world's last canned coffee - & give Shinji the down low on what happened right after he went under & what Misato has gone through over the past 14 years sounds like solid storytelling/character work 101. And regardless of what faults people have with Anno the storyteller his grasp on character work has always been tops.

After what went down in 3.0, Shinji through his own foolish actions - all from selfish/noble intentions - has driven an even greater wedge between himself & the Willie gang. Even best girl Sakura Suzuhara is going to treat him different in the final film. If anyone is going to welcome the kid with open arms & no judgement it's going to Kaji. I'm still hoping against hope the emotional centerpiece of Final is going to be Misato opening up to Shinji but, I'm thinking Kaji is going to be a big part of the last film.

I'm hoping he'll have a beard.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:13 pm

View Original PostIfallOnTragedy wrote:

That wasn't to be taken seriously. The second sentence that you didn't respond too however is my stand on things.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:WOULD YOU SACRIFICE Misato AND Kaji'S FIRST-BORN!?!

...who was named "Shinji" in memory of a boy presumed lost within an apparently no longer accessible Evangelion. What happens when the 10yo Shinji and the 15yo Shinji meet, I wonder.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:56 pm

There can be only one answer. They must kung fu fight.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:52 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:...who was named "Shinji"

I have more respect for Misato than that. :yuck:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:18 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I have more respect for Misato than that. :yuck:

Funny. Because after 3.0 I honestly have NO respect for Misato, and I don't expect that to change in Final.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:25 am

Even though she's barely different than she was in the previous films as FFF4ever pointed out earlier
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:13 am

I'm just expecting Kaji to appear for whatever deal he has with Mari beyond destroying evas, whatever he suspects about her. Girls do the work for him so you can expect at least Asuka/Mari/Misato to feed Shinji a couple of interesting lines and shoving some reality to his face - kind of what happened until now.
They probably speak for him being reasonable and not going full gendo.

...who was named "Shinji" in memory of a boy presumed lost within an apparently no longer accessible Evangelion. What happens when the 10yo Shinji and the 15yo Shinji meet, I wonder

"Hi I am myself"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”