Rei or Asuka?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:46 pm

^^ Hey, them sleeping together comes FAR later in their relationship. :tongue:

But seriously though, the meaning behind their closeness has been pretty open to interpretation, even after 3.0's info dump. We'll just have to wait till the next film to find out if it really is romantic or sibling.

And yes, them being friends is a good place to start.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:14 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:But seriously though, the meaning behind their closeness has been pretty open to interpretation, even after 3.0's info dump.

Before 3.0? Sure. After 3.0? There's no room for interpretation: Rei Ayanami, made from the DNA of Yui Ayanami.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:22 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:But seriously though, the meaning behind their closeness has been pretty open to interpretation, even after 3.0's info dump.

If we're being serious, this is anything but true. After 3.0 there is absolutely nothing left open to interpretation. There is wiggle room with Asuka, Sakura, and random girl down the street, but there is absolutely none with Rei.

She lost, man, same as Kaworu. Just deal with it and move on.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Hey, one can always hope (call me delusional if you want).

Also, it's the fact that she's basically a half-human hybrid (and that Rei II is still inside Unit 01) that keeps me from calling it completely busted. Plus, how much of her DNA is that of Yui?

Course, the next film'll probably prove me wrong, but till then...

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:06 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Hey, one can always hope (call me delusional if you want).

Also, it's the fact that she's basically a half-human hybrid (and that Rei II is still inside Unit 01) that keeps me from calling it completely busted. Plus, how much of her DNA is that of Yui?

Course, the next film'll probably prove me wrong, but till then...

Does it really matter how much of her is Yui? 90%, 50%, or 10%, whatever % it's all hella screwed up especially from Shinji's perspective.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:04 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Also, it's the fact that she's basically a half-human hybrid (and that Rei II is still inside Unit 01) that keeps me from calling it completely busted. Plus, how much of her DNA is that of Yui?

Rei is only ever referred to as a "copy" (or similar phrasing) of Yui, and it's well known in rubber science fiction that cloning can alter pigmentation, so there is no basis for calling her "half human" (in fact, she is all human) or trying to make arguments to distill her clonal pedigree in order to make your favorite pairing slightly less squicky. It's squicky and it always will be. Either accept it and relish the grossness, or move onto a ship that doesn't involve people who share 50% of their genes.

Or, even better, swear off shipping altogether.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:14 pm

^ If I could swear off shipping, I would. Unfortunately, it's in my very genes. :tongue:

Seriously though, I thought that her appearance came from the fact that she was a half-human hybrid. Like, if she was completely 100% made of Yui's DNA, she wouldn't be having blue hair, pale skin, and red eyes. Plus, the fact that her soul is apparently that of Lillith also factors in.

Great, now I'm arguing over genetics. Do note though that if she was entirely made from Yui's DNA, and had the same exact appearance and personality, I would indeed be squicked out by it.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:33 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Also, it's the fact that she's basically a half-human hybrid (and that Rei II is still inside Unit 01) that keeps me from calling it completely busted.

You do know the best ending she could possibly get at this point is ending up like Nia, right?

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Plus, how much of her DNA is that of Yui?

Does the percentage really matter? Shinji remarks she smells exactly like his mom, and Gendo actually was fooled into thinking she was Yui for a second.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:36 am

Ending up like Nia does seem like the most logical outcome, and I'd actually be okay with that, as long as she and Shinji get to share one last moment together, like Nia and Simon did.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the only reason Gendo saw Yui that one time he was talking to Rei was because he was suddenly remembering what Yui asked him to do.

As for the whole scene thing, I'm not quite sure Shinji noting that Rei had the same scent of his mother affected his view of her, nor did he find it that much of a problem. It probably just felt like a strange coincidence to him at the time. Of course, the revelation probably made him realize why, though I'm still not sure as to how that's gonna make him view her now. One more question that the next film will have to address.

Annnnnd I should stop before going into a huge debate about genetics again.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:33 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Seriously though, I thought that her appearance came from the fact that she was a half-human hybrid. Like, if she was completely 100% made of Yui's DNA, she wouldn't be having blue hair, pale skin, and red eyes. Plus, the fact that her soul is apparently that of Lillith also factors in.

As I noted, the pigmentation issue is meaningless. "Clones" with different colors than the original are not an unusual fictional trope. (In NGE alone: The Evas certainly do not have consistent pigmentation, and they're all clones, so why would a Yui clone be any different?) It has no scientific meaning, just a thematic and/or symbolic one. The "genetically part-Lilith" thing is pure fanon, and, strangely, seems to be most strongly supported by LRS people. Hmmm!!

If you stalwartly refuse to believe that it's unsubstantiated fanon, it's worth recognizing that it doesn't even matter what numbers Rei's genetic makeup boils down to. We only ever hear about Yui's contribution because, well, that's the only part that is important and worth mentioning! Perhaps we should stop and consider why this might be... :chinscratch:

So, yeah. Either embrace the squick or leave the building. Cultivate your incest fetish if you like the pairing so much. ("Wincest, woooo!") Ships built on THIS level of self-denial are the worst.

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm a ShinjixAsuka guy but the Rebuild films seem to be a lot more focussed around the relationship between Shinji and Rei. I think there was one moment in 2.0 that hinted at the idea that that Asuka might have feelings for him, but Asuka in the Rebuilds is so poorly represented that I don't even care. Also she's twice Shinji's age now, so that's probably not happening (unless the ending is a Deus Ex Machina).

I don't really understand the ShinjixRei shipping either. Not only do the two of them share very little chemistry but also, I too have a problem with the fact that she's a quasi-clone of his mother made from a angel.
Last edited by LukeMM95 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even just the sight of you gets on my nerves!" - Asuka Langley Soryu
"Because I'm just like you?" - Shinji Ikari

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:07 am

Like Reichu said, talking about how much Rei is Yui's ADN is pure Rei shipper fanon. In the narrative the point is that she is carbon copy of Yui, except the albino traits. That's her purpouse, accept it. Talking about Yui's maiden name or the name choice of her newborn makes it even more evident. So embrace the twincest or accept that except the little chances for Asuka (28 years my ass, she behaves just like her 14 years in the past self but mor experienced; we better don't alk about what is the narrative purpouse of the eva curse, and I don't want the answe to be merchandise) and Sakura, and still is a very little room.

m a ShinjixAsuka guy but the Rebuild films seem to be a lot more focussed around the relationship between Shinji and Rei. I think there was one moment in 2.0 that hinted at the idea that that Asuka might have feelings for him, but Asuka in the Rebuilds is so poorly represented that I don't even care. Also she's twice Shinji's age now, so that's probably not happening (unless the ending is a Deus Ex Machina).

I think her feelings are pretty obvious, that's why people talk about the diferencs between Soryu and Shikinami : se is more honest with her feelings. But here comes Bardiel, the 14 year skips and aonly Anno knows what she really thinks about the brat.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:30 am

I know I may regret involving myself in this debate, but... Can someone please make a comprehensive list of all the cited reasons against Rei/Shinji shipping? It often puts the debate in better perspective if such a list is compiled and considered as a whole.
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:26 am

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:I know I may regret involving myself in this debate, but... Can someone please make a comprehensive list of all the cited reasons against Rei/Shinji shipping? It often puts the debate in better perspective if such a list is compiled and considered as a whole.

Off the top of my head:

• She reminds him of his mother.

• She is in fact a clone of his mother.

• She has the soul of a four billion-year-old member of a race that is the forerunner to humanity, and who has literally traveled between worlds and seen the universe, and thus has a perspective on things he could never hope to grasp.

• She is a Seed of Life, and thus has duties that preclude her slumming it with her creations for any lengthy period of time.

• She is dead.
Naturally, the Seed business only applies to NGE, but something similar appears to be at work in the ENT series so it's worth keeping in mind.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:52 am

You could add

- Rei Ayanami, born from Yui Ayanami. Never forget that in this continuity Yui's maiden name has been changed to make the link more evident

- "If he is a boy, Shinji; if she is a girl, Rei"
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:29 am

Was Rei stated to be born entirely from Yui exactly? Plus, I thought that she was named as she is because Gendo wanted to pay tribute to his wife.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:54 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Was Rei stated to be born entirely from Yui exactly?

You keep trying to hedge on this point, but it doesn't work. Wholly or partially, Rei is a clone of Yui. And, more importantly, Shinji knows it. There's really no point left to argue here.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:55 am

Unless we were to argue for squicky sci-fi spiritual incest. Which, I’m not saying we should. (Or shouldn’t.) I’m just saying that’s a possibility.

stern
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby stern » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:26 am

I seriously hope Shinji doesn't end with Rei (romantically) in Final. I mean, she is his mother clone and in this continuity/sequel/loop he was even informed about it; it would be taking Oedipus complex too far, even for Anno.
SPOILER: Show

Also Shinji x Asuka is absolutely a cute pairing.
“I wanted only to try to live in accord with the promptings which came from my true self. Why was that so very difficult?”
― Hermann Hesse, Demian

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:41 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Unless we were to argue for squicky sci-fi spiritual incest. Which, I’m not saying we should. (Or shouldn’t.) I’m just saying that’s a possibility.

Well, yes, pursuit of squick is obviously a thing. But as Reichu noted up thread, best to just own it and be honest about it rather than hedging and living in denial.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”