Rei or Asuka?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:35 am

Ray, we've been going over this conversation over, and over, and over, and we've tried to convince you that Shinji's fate is not yet sealed, and that Wille is smart enough not to condemn a boy that's been brutally manipulated most of his life, cause if they're as cold as you think they are, then he'd be dead already, cause there were plenty of times they could've just ended his life for the "greater good", but he's still there.

If you're so resigned to think his fate is sealed because "that's how it would play out realistically", then why does it still bother you if you've already accepted it? We've tried to convince you otherwise. But if you're so willing to give up Shinji's situation, why does it still bother you when you know what's "going" to happen because "that's how the world is"?

The majority of us are willing to forgive Shinji and want to offer him a second chance, so why can't you?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:45 am

Ray needs to write some grimdark fanfic and get this out of his system.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:00 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Exactly! Thats the point I'm trying to make here! The point noone seems to understand! They've all moved on! They moved on FOURTEEN F**KING YEARS AGO! IT'S NOT BELIEVABLE THEY'D CARE ABOUT HIM ANYMORE! Any feelings they may have had for him are outweighed by the things they've had to suffer because of him and his stupidity! He's been nothing but a bad memory to them for that long! It's unbelievable, in a realistic setting like Eva that anyone would care for or forgive someone who's done what he's done, after screwing humanity over twice. After having nothing but memories of hate and loathing and regret for over a decade. :slapslap:

So let me ask you something: if that was the case, then why he's still alive?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:21 am

View Original PostRay wrote:In any kind of realistic setting, after what Shinji's done, what he's been through, what he's suffered. Him having a happy life after something as horrendous as Third and Fourth Impact? It's unbelievable.

That's your answer, right there. Evangelion is not realistic. It is, in any literal sense, unbelievable. Impacts? No way. Instrumentality? Completely imaginary.

So don't look for realism, don't look for something to believe. Look for symbolism, for allegory, for metaphor, for the lessons behind the story. The story itself will take whatever form Anno feels will make his points for him; but we have already seen that realism is not a substantial part of that form.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:05 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:So let me ask you something: if that was the case, then why he's still alive?

According to Wille he’d be dead the second he stepped into Mark 09’s hands. Misato couldn’t do it for personal reasons. For all we know they would probably keep on studying and experimenting on him had he not left the Wunder.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:20 pm

View Original PostFredsq wrote:According to Wille he’d be dead the second he stepped into Mark 09’s hands. Misato couldn’t do it for personal reasons. For all we know they would probably keep on studying and experimenting on him had he not left the Wunder.

The one's unlikely for the same reason as the other.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:23 pm

View Original PostFredsq wrote:According to Wille he’d be dead the second he stepped into Mark 09’s hands. Misato couldn’t do it for personal reasons.

Ergo, she cares about him.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Wait, are we shipping Shinji with Misato now?

xyz346
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xyz346 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Nah...WAY too much of an age gap now.

Foodistasty
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Foodistasty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Shinji will not 'get with' anyone most likely, the most we can expect is a hint of Asuka's hatred vanishing and Rei Q smiling.
Rei has been the most heavily featured of all of the girls in the rebuild films so far, so I see no reason why that would change. Asuka is 28 years old, and basically has loathed Shinji for 14 years, and now she probably hates him even more, considering he didn't bother to save her and he started yet another impact. He's a child, a brat to her, and the only reason she is dragging him along is because if Gendo has him it would be even worse.
If Shinji pilots anything in Final/Shin/3.0+1.0, it will be Unit 1, I am guessing. Rei 2 is locked inside of Unit 1, convenient much? But with 2 souls? How would that work?
Shinji loves space, according to 3.33, so maybe he ends up staying in Unit 1 in space with Rei at the end of the movie? Plus, WYCTM shows Rei Q in Quantum/Rei 2's eye, so maybe Rei 2's soul goes into Rei Q, since apparently she doesn't have a soul? (or it's 'elsewhere')
Mari...well Mari once again, is at least 28, if it were Misato that would be even more creepier to the internet than Eoe, and Sakura will probably have like 2 lines.
If he has to get with anyone, it will most likely be Rei. Just my 2 cents. Don't kill me, S/A shippers.
[/i]
Why.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:11 pm

View Original PostFoodistasty wrote:Shinji will not 'get with' anyone most likely, the most we can expect is a hint of Asuka's hatred vanishing and Rei Q smiling.
Rei has been the most heavily featured of all of the girls in the rebuild films so far, so I see no reason why that would change. Asuka is 28 years old, and basically has loathed Shinji for 14 years, and now she probably hates him even more, considering he didn't bother to save her and he started yet another impact. He's a child, a brat to her, and the only reason she is dragging him along is because if Gendo has him it would be even worse.
If Shinji pilots anything in Final/Shin/3.0+1.0, it will be Unit 1, I am guessing. Rei 2 is locked inside of Unit 1, convenient much? But with 2 souls? How would that work?
Shinji loves space, according to 3.33, so maybe he ends up staying in Unit 1 in space with Rei at the end of the movie? Plus, WYCTM shows Rei Q in Quantum/Rei 2's eye, so maybe Rei 2's soul goes into Rei Q, since apparently she doesn't have a soul? (or it's 'elsewhere')
Mari...well Mari once again, is at least 28, if it were Misato that would be even more creepier to the internet than Eoe, and Sakura will probably have like 2 lines.
If he has to get with anyone, it will most likely be Rei. Just my 2 cents. Don't kill me, S/A shippers.
[/i]

Still, their relationship has been clearly stated as siblings, more evident after 3.0. Nobody is questioning the movie is gonna pay a lot of attention to their relationship. But romantic?? After Fuyuutsuki's info dump?? I don't think so. They are different debates in my opinion. Easier to expect a "forever alone" Shinji that a romantic development with Rei. Pairing him with Rei is the same or more difficult than with the other characters : she is dead, she is an alien entity, his mum's clone and half sister. If there wasn't such a big fandom behind the character, she will never be taken into account. Don't misunderstand me, Ilike it : it's part of the game, its part of the business . I know it, everyone here knows it, Khara knows the best. I'm alright with people shipping whatever they want, but the movies only has shown us the same relationship they had in NGE, but this time being one of the main aspects ....but that doesn´t mean a different relationship. This is not gonna be EOE, don't even expect sex and teen angst. Rei will be a gear of the plot, but don't expect what Asuka was in EOE. I can bet more than 2 cents in that.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

CATO
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:48 pm

None. This is Rebuild! Things are supposed to be unexpected.

Since Kaworu is dead, Shinji should go for Tama from the Wunder bridge. He looks cryptic and has delicate features certainly Shinji's type
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:22 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Ergo, she cares about him.

But WHY would she still care for him? He's been a bad memory for 14 years, she barely knew him for a few months. He made her relive her childhood trauma twice! Why? All right, she still cares for him. What I want to know is. . . why? Why does she still care for him?

Nah...WAY too much of an age gap now.

Agreed. . . I don't want Any kind of 'service service' from a forty year old. :urk:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:31 pm

Hey, Misato’s still hot in Q. She wears her 40 years like a Miss Universe crown.

But, yeah. She was always too old for Shinji.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:But WHY would she still care for him? He's been a bad memory for 14 years, she barely knew him for a few months. He made her relive her childhood trauma twice! Why? All right, she still cares for him. What I want to know is. . . why? Why does she still care for him?

You should meditate on this, as it is the answer to all of your questions.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mario_Abel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mario_Abel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:17 am

LAS ForEva! :D
Acceptance.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:55 am

Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:26 am

Still, their relationship has been clearly stated as siblings, more evident after 3.0. Nobody is questioning the movie is gonna pay a lot of attention to their relationship. But romantic?? After Fuyuutsuki's info dump?? I don't think so. They are different debates in my opinion. Easier to expect a "forever alone" Shinji that a romantic development with Rei. Pairing him with Rei is the same or more difficult than with the other characters : she is dead, she is an alien entity, his mum's clone and half sister. If there wasn't such a big fandom behind the character, she will never be taken into account. Don't misunderstand me, Ilike it : it's part of the game, its part of the business . I know it, everyone here knows it, Khara knows the best. I'm alright with people shipping whatever they want, but the movies only has shown us the same relationship they had in NGE, but this time being one of the main aspects ....but that doesn´t mean a different relationship. This is not gonna be EOE, don't even expect sex and teen angst. Rei will be a gear of the plot, but don't expect what Asuka was in EOE. I can bet more than 2 cents in that.

YMMV of course. Considering how close they have been to each other, and the fact that Shinji still cares deeply for Rei regardless of her origins (he's more depressed by the fact that Rei Q isn't Rei II), I wouldn't quite call it quits on their relationship possibly being romantic, at least from one perspective. Just cause she's part alien/part clone and Rei II is stuck in Unit 01 doesn't mean it's completely over. Again though, just one interpretation that 3.0+1.0 may end up addressing in addition to all the other questions and conflicts that this series has brought up.

Also, I'd really dislike it if Rei ended up dead just because she died in the original series. This is a different telling after all. I mean, I'm all for her having to die, but it would have to be given a better reason besides a repeat of what happened in the original ending.

I do agree with you on one thing though. Shinji is much more likely to end up alone at the end. After all, he still needs to work out his whole issues and the like before a healthy relationship with anyone could start.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:07 pm

^
Or you know, he could care about her as someone dear to him and retrospectively a sibling. You don't need to want to fuck someone to care about him or her.

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:53 pm

^
Caring without lust? what madness is this?

But seriously it does seem much more probable he'll end up on good terms with Rei, if she survives that is, but not romantic terms. Doubt he'd just suddenly stop giving a damn about her after all the nonsense he went through in 2 for her and in the end just being friends is probably for the best given his condition and the whole weirdness of it all.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”