Shinji in 4.0 Speculation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:When she rejects the dummy system, but that's about it.

It made me sad that she didn't protect her son from falling lights in 1.0. That was one of my favorite scenes from NGE.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 01, 2013 1:32 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It made me sad that she didn't protect her son from falling lights in 1.0. That was one of my favorite scenes from NGE.

IIRC, this time the lights weren't falling on him, and even if they did he obviously managed to dodge them, so Yui didn't have to intervene.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 01, 2013 1:45 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:IIRC, this time the lights weren't falling on him, and even if they did he obviously managed to dodge them, so Yui didn't have to intervene.

That's what I'm complaining about. The scene was removed.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed May 01, 2013 1:48 pm

A fleeting tought. There is very littly Yui activity in Rebuild compared to NGE where she saved Shinji from all major battles. In here, Shinji is pulling through some serious shit by himself. Does it mean, he stopped constantly relying on his mother in this continuity?
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 01, 2013 1:55 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:...and yet I don't care about them at all. It would mean absolutely nothing to me at this point if the whole lot of them die in the next film, Asuka and Misato included. Just another fancy action scene with no emotional investment.

Yeah, and it;s important because NME is all about Misato and Asuka, right?

Wait, no... No, it's about Shinji. God, why is that so hard to remember about Eva?

Two lines of ranting aside, I see no issues with WILLE or how they were implemented in the film. It's the next logical step in the evolution of the characters and the situation. Were we supposed to "care" about them, as if feel emotionally invested in them? No. No we were not. If the movie was about being emotionally invested in WILLE, then Shinji would have had piano duets with the entire WILLE cast. It wouldn't have spent most of its runnging time on Kaworu. (Besides, it Evangelion. Since when were you supposed to care about people who called themselves "good"?)

And, to be fair, why wouldn't Q spend most of its time on Kaworu? NME has only spend two whole movies building up to the character finally meeting Shinji. Imagine if in every movie Kaworu said something like "Boy, oh boy! I can't wait to meet Shinji! Maybe even for the second time, I'm not sure." And then he finally meets him in Q, and the movie keeps constantly cutting back to Misato instead. Because, you know, NME was really building up to WILLE every time Kaworu showed interest in Shinji.

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Wed May 01, 2013 2:01 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I'd like to see them try, and see what the "battery" of their precious Wunder thinks about it.

I'm not so sure about that any more. I mean, yes, Yui's in there and possibly Rei, considering the situation, and for the past 14 years they've been fine, even when Shinji was removed and left the Wunder. Hell, Ritzy even mentioned how Shinji has an absolute 0% sync rate with mommy Eva and couldn't pilot it if he tried. That's gotta mean something's up and that he's not needed.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:06 pm

View Original PostChroma wrote:I'm not so sure about that any more. I mean, yes, Yui's in there and possibly Rei, considering the situation, and for the past 14 years they've been fine, even when Shinji was removed and left the Wunder. Hell, Ritzy even mentioned how Shinji has an absolute 0% sync rate with mommy Eva and couldn't pilot it if he tried. That's gotta mean something's up and that he's not needed.

It's quite possible that now Yui can shoot lasers out of her eyes of her own accord, she has no need for a fleshy meat puppet to sit in a tube in her spine and order her around.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 pm

View Original PostChroma wrote:I'm not so sure about that any more. I mean, yes, Yui's in there and possibly Rei, considering the situation, and for the past 14 years they've been fine, even when Shinji was removed and left the Wunder. Hell, Ritzy even mentioned how Shinji has an absolute 0% sync rate with mommy Eva and couldn't pilot it if he tried. That's gotta mean something's up and that he's not needed.

Because entering into awakened mode before arriving to wunder is just too mainstream to consider...
They probably lied about the 0.0% Synch ratio.
Last edited by Jadley on Wed May 01, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too late to pry away.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yeah, and it;s important because NME is all about Misato and Asuka, right?

Of course it's not 'all about them'. Never was. It's a shame though because they used to be at least noteworthy secondary charecters, not just part of the vague 'everybody hates Shinji' squad that this film has reduced them to. They only exist as an extention of the weapons they pilot and as such are just as expendible as any other of the big digital toys Anno so loves to smack into each other with cgi lightshows. They're vaguely recognizable faces for marketing purposes but otherwise might as well be just a couple more nobodies like the entire new bridge crew.

The Asuka and Misato who mattered both died in the last film, just like Rei. All that is left is a few soulless clones wandering through the script as the railroaded plot directs.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm

View Original PostJadley wrote:Because entering into awakened mode before arriving to wunder is just to mainstream to consider...
They probably lied about the 0.0% Synch ratio.

Interestingly enough, Unit-13 is in a vessel just like the one that Unit-01 was placed in. Perhaps it blocks deep synchs.

Psychodrake
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Psychodrake » Wed May 01, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm into the idea that Rei is blocking Shinji's syncing from inside the Eva due to her whole "I'll make sure you don't have to pilot Eva" thing in 2.22.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 01, 2013 3:41 pm

So... does this thread even have a topic anymore?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 pm

It's basically just a 4.0 speculation thread, only theoretically with a narrow focus on a specific aspect of it. Two different basic camps have been established and laid out arguments, but I don't think there's much sense in them trying to confront eachother over and over. There's just too radically divergent a reading of the characters (or lack of characters as some insist on contending). Not enough common ground to even so much as have a discussion it feels like. So basically that's a stalemate, I suppose.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Wait, wait, I have something that could revive the debate : during the final battle, Mari receive an alarm from the DSS Choker reading a pattern blue from inside the EVA-13 cockpit, I think it's fair to assume that Asuka and the Wunder received that alarm too.

But they couldn't know that Shinji was wearing it anymore and that the pattern came from Kaworu, so the logical thing would be that they all thought that Shinji was the source of that pattern. That would mean that even though Asuka is "taking care" of Shinji in the desert, she must have doubts that Shinji could wake up and throw an AT-Field/Eye-beam/Acif goo/whatever at her face, no?
And even if for some reason she didn't get the alarm from the DSS Choker or didn't noticed it, to absorbed by the battle, the crew of the Wunder must have received it! So what do you think they will do once they get their hands back on him?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 01, 2013 5:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:she must have doubts that Shinji could wake up and throw an AT-Field/Eye-beam/Acif goo/whatever at her face, no?

She'll block with her own eyepatch beam :D

Either way regardless of what they think of Shinji and the DSS Choker reading, they'll definitely want to know what he knows about what went on. Ritsuko didn't seem to know why the Fourth Impact stopped. Mari does. Shinji will probably realize it too once his brain returns.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:She'll block with her own eyepatch beam :D

And will get a Beam O' War :tongue:

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:they'll definitely want to know what he knows about what went on.

Kinda ironic since Shinji wanted the same from then anddidn't get told a shit :uhh:

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Ritsuko didn't seem to know why the Fourth Impact stopped. Mari does. Shinji will probably realize it too once his brain returns.

Or Ritsuko will take his brain out and stick wires to it like it happened with her mothers brain in MAGI. I don't see Shinji brain returning anytime soon if she has her way with him... :irked:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Wed May 01, 2013 5:28 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wait, wait, I have something that could revive the debate : during the final battle, Mari receive an alarm from the DSS Choker reading a pattern blue from inside the EVA-13 cockpit, I think it's fair to assume that Asuka and the Wunder received that alarm too.

But they couldn't know that Shinji was wearing it anymore and that the pattern came from Kaworu, so the logical thing would be that they all thought that Shinji was the source of that pattern. That would mean that even though Asuka is "taking care" of Shinji in the desert, she must have doubts that Shinji could wake up and throw an AT-Field/Eye-beam/Acif goo/whatever at her face, no?
And even if for some reason she didn't get the alarm from the DSS Choker or didn't noticed it, to absorbed by the battle, the crew of the Wunder must have received it! So what do you think they will do once they get their hands back on him?

01:26:04 {Mari} The Door of Guf hasn't closed yet?
01:26:06 {Mari} So, Puppy Boy is Seele's backup measure!

And
01:16:13 {Mari} DSS Choker, pattern blue?
01:16:15 {Mari} A thirteenth? Even though the Twelfth should be the last?!
01:16:19 {Mari} So this is what Gendo-kun is aiming for.

They probably knew that "Seele's boy" was piloting alongside Shinji, they just didn't know he was an Angel.
It's too late to pry away.

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: [SPOILERS] What will happen when Shinji comes back to W*

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Wed May 01, 2013 5:29 pm

I predict a lot of

Followed by

"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Wed May 01, 2013 5:47 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:But they couldn't know that Shinji was wearing it anymore and that the pattern came from Kaworu, so the logical thing would be that they all thought that Shinji was the source of that pattern. That would mean that even though Asuka is "taking care" of Shinji in the desert, she must have doubts that Shinji could wake up and throw an AT-Field/Eye-beam/Acif goo/whatever at her face, no?

I would venture to guess that Shinji not having the collar on anymore gives them an understanding that someone else was wearing it, because Mari at the very least knows that "Seele's boy" was also in the cockpit.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 01, 2013 5:50 pm

View Original PostJadley wrote:01:26:04 {Mari} The Door of Guf hasn't closed yet?
01:26:06 {Mari} So, Puppy Boy is Seele's backup measure!

And
01:16:13 {Mari} DSS Choker, pattern blue?
01:16:15 {Mari} A thirteenth? Even though the Twelfth should be the last?!
01:16:19 {Mari} So this is what Gendo-kun is aiming for.

They probably knew that "Seele's boy" was piloting alongside Shinji, they just didn't know he was an Angel.

I think they know Kaworu is an Angel(the DSS Choker was made for him initially), but Mari's lines are intriguing : she should have believed that the activation of the DSS Choker meant that Shinji was killed, but when she saw that the Impact didn't stopped, she immediately told that Shinji must be the back up plan, implying she knew that it wasn't Shinji the one wearing the DSS Choker.

Chroma wrote:I would venture to guess that Shinji not having the collar on anymore gives them an understanding that someone else was wearing it, because Mari at the very least knows that "Seele's boy" was also in the cockpit.

Wasn't she talking to Rei with her comment to "Ms. Sucks To Be Seele's Pilot"?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”