4th Film Info (READ OP) + Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
dnab
Embryo

Postby dnab » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:43 am

Hi again. This I hope is thread-appropriate.

The 14 years gap seems jolting and discontinuous between the 2nd and 3rd movie, but it makes (crazy) sense business wise. Considering there was enough materials between Star Wars Ep.2 and 3 to wedge in the Clone Wars, it's entirely feasible to launch a Shinjiless Nadiaesque arc as in, say, CD drama, manga, or even short TV series before the launch of 4th movie. And in terms of movie making, even a curtailed Eva mythology is still a Eva sized mythology that can't get proper treatment (or get in the way of movies' emotional developments) without a canon spinoff. Otherwise so much potential stories get wasted:

- When Asuka wakes up, and learned of what happened to her and thereafter. Shinji tearing up Nerv for her; Shinji starting the 3I for Rei.
- When Asuka meets Mari and jostle to be the alpha female
- Wille, Wunder, the new crew
- Kaji, Seele, Nerv
- Other children (or their expirations thereof)

Heck it might even be watchable.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:17 am

Playing around with typography for the 4.0 title without reaching into the astral plane

Evangelion:|▌ -- using U+258C

Evangelion:|| -- using simple bolding

I haven't yet found a character with intermediate weight between the two

Unless we hack the forum to support characters outside the ISO-Latin-1 range and/or formatting, thread titles are going to have to look like

Evangelion:||
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:47 pm

View Original Postdnab wrote:
- When Asuka wakes up, and learned of what happened to her and thereafter. Shinji tearing up Nerv for her; Shinji starting the 3I for Rei.
- When Asuka meets Mari and jostle to be the alpha female
- Wille, Wunder, the new crew
- Kaji, Seele, Nerv
- Other children (or their expirations thereof)

Heck it might even be watchable.

FanFic writers begin!
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

mastervampire
Adam

Postby mastervampire » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:24 am

When does 4.0 come out?

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:31 am

It's still unknown at this point. My guess would be 2015
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:04 am

Lack of sleep induced a weird thought in me... With all of the weird turns in Eva 3.0 that we couldn't seriously have expected the movie series to take, it seems that there is only one logical place for the films to go by the end of Final:

Interstellar travel!

All of this talk about setting "the world" back to rights... Forget about fixing and reversing. Earth is a lost cause, and it's time to move on, to one of countless new worlds where things can begin anew! Eva-01 fuses with the Wunder and at last becomes an Ark for the souls of humanity! She flies to the stars, toward an unknown but bright future!

It is a conclusion, but one that leads to a repetition... of the cycle of life, and stuff.

Okay, just had to get that out of my system. But you know, they are threatening to throw a brand new ending our way, so we better buckle down for something a little out of the ordinary...!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Zeruss
Adam

Postby Zeruss » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 am

Earth is a lost cause, and it's time to move on, to one of countless new worlds where things can begin anew! Eva-01 fuses with the Wunder and at last becomes an Ark for the souls of humanity! She flies to the stars, toward an unknown but bright future!

Reminds of the ending of a certain movie...

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casshern_(film)[/url]

PD: It certainly would fit with the whole "Seed of Life/Rebuild" theme--
I'm a lurker at heart.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:55 am

View Original PostZeruss wrote:[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casshern_(film)[/url]

Another excellent example of how you can ruin an excellent series...

Anyway I guess that Kaworu's plan is scrapped for good, even in the possibility that they will end up finding the Spear of Cassius. Talking about that spear, lately I've been thinking that it was probably stolen by evil-Wille, the promotional images of Asuka holding it gave me this "silly" idea...
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:24 am

Zeruss: Heh, I was indeed going for a "Cycles of Seeds of Life" kind of thing. The possibility of Eva-01 becoming an interstellar ark for humanity exists only as phantom whispers in the original... and wouldn't it be something if it actually happened in some form? It would break free of traditional expectations toward Impact-enacted HIP as a purely local event with an either "Proceed to Metaphysical Ascension" or "Abort to Physical Mediocrity" outcome.

Would be a great way to leave fans more slack-jawed than ever, too, and crying foul for another decade+. Now I'm going to be disappointed if a "Final Impact = Mass Exodus of Souls from Earth" scenario doesn't happen...

(It's been quite a while since I saw Casshern, and I barely remember anything about it besides vague images.)

Hyper Shinchan: Kaworu's dialogue implies that one of the Spears had been a "Cassius"-type, but changed so that it was the same as the other one (a "Longinus"-type). cf. 「おかしい、2本とも形状が変化して揃っている。」
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:53 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Eva-01 fuses with the Wunder and at last becomes an Ark for the souls of humanity! She flies to the stars, toward an unknown but bright future!

Nah, Unit-01 is going to fly off with Shinji and Rei, and merge with Mars. Millions of years later it's going to have evolved into Eva Emperor, and beat up god.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Now I'm going to be disappointed if a "Final Impact = Mass Exodus of Souls from Earth" scenario doesn't happen...
You mean, my reading of what was going on in EoE at the end, as I watched it, where all the Instrumentality constructs of the post-human race waft off into the cosmos like stardust, leaving the two pilots in their own special damnation in the wilderness at the end of the world.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Not QUITE the same, ojisan! I was thinking more like a complete exodus via Starship Eva. I.e., Earth completely vacated, and nobody in the cast left in a recognizable form at the end. But, given the "Ark" thing, they might eventually be reborn on another world. As something similar to what they'd been before... as something totally different... who knows?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Grub
Lilith

Postby Grub » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Nah, it's all about Shinji. They're not leaving Earth (at least not until Shinji's problems are taken care of. Or Shinji is. Or everyone dies and their souls float up into space.)
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:19 pm

At this point, a Tetsuo: The Iron Man ending would probably make the most sense: Shinji and Gendo, united by their hatred of hunanity, merge with Unit 01 and leave on a wacky roadtrip to destroy the universe together.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:21 pm

View Original PostLucretius wrote:At this point, a Tetsuo: The Iron Man ending would probably make the most sense: Shinji and Gendo, united by their hatred of hunanity, merge with Unit 01 and leave on a wacky roadtrip to destroy the universe together.

This is probably the best possible outcome.

kuwisdelu
Lilith

Postby kuwisdelu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:54 pm

With the setup at the end of Q, with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei wandering the red desert... I can't but wonder and hope for a lot of the dialogue and introspection that occurs during EoE instrumentality to actually occur in real life this time. So far, NME has held back from the full-on metaphysical craziness of the latter part of NGE, and — with both 2.0 and 3.0 ending with Impacts already and having just read Xard's walls-of-text 3.0-as-post-EoE-fiction thread — I'm wondering what would happen if Shinji's development, decisions, and judgment occur outside of instrumentality this time.

For example, I can imagine this dialogue from EoE:

Shinji: I want to help you in some way... and to be with you.

Asuka: Then, don't do anything. Don't come near me anymore... Because all you ever do is hurt me.

Shinji: Asuka, help me! You're... you're the only one that can!

Asuka: Liar... To you, anybody will do! You're afraid of Misato and the First... and of your mother and father, too!

Shinji: Asuka...

Asuka: You're only using me as an escape - because that's the easiest way not to get hurt!

Shinji: Asuka, help me!

Asuka: Because that's the easiest way not to get hurt!

Shinji: Please, help me!

Asuka: You've never really liked anyone! You're all you have! But you've never even learned to like yourself! How pathetic...

Shinji: Help me... Somebody... Somebody help me... Help me... Help me... Me... Help ME!! Don't leave me alone! Don't abandon me! Don't kill me!

Asuka: No

(Shinji strangles Asuka)

being repeated between Shinji and Asuka in the red desert this time, and still making perfect sense in the new context, although in new ways, of course, seeing as Shinji has whole new reasons to fear Misato and resent / be uncomfortable around ReiQ.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:09 pm

Allthough this time, Asuka would probably be willing an able to kick Shinji's ass if he starts strangeling her. And that's assuming they spend any real time in the Dessert.

Actually Shinji and Asuka's dynamic is totally different this time around. Asuka is far more mentally stable, and by this point Mature.

Normally I'd say Shinji is getting set up for a redemption equals death, but Eva isn't normal, and I suck at predicting it.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 pm

After watching episodes of Nadia again (after years), the "spaceship Eva" ending doesn't seem too bad - in fact, it seems quite plausible.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

kuwisdelu
Lilith

Postby kuwisdelu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Allthough this time, Asuka would probably be willing an able to kick Shinji's ass if he starts strangeling her. And that's assuming they spend any real time in the Dessert.

Actually Shinji and Asuka's dynamic is totally different this time around. Asuka is far more mentally stable, and by this point Mature.

Frankly, I think it'd be cool if half the movie is them walking around in the desert and just talking.

Although the dynamic is totally different, at least in this case, the lines actually make sense with both dynamics, which I think is interesting.

Normally I'd say Shinji is getting set up for a redemption equals death, but Eva isn't normal, and I suck at predicting it.

Yep, too easy, IMO.

And so far, for all the bombastic war-with-the-angels and general sci-fi-ness, Eva's themes have always kept very close to everyday, real life. I think Final would continue in that vein.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:25 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:After watching episodes of Nadia again (after years), the "spaceship Eva" ending doesn't seem too bad - in fact, it seems quite plausible.

As do I. And like Reichu, I consider the whole humanity leaving Earth via Eva as a possible ending for 4.0 (I believe I even thought about that possiblity as early as the day the movie was released). However, I also think that if that happens, Shinji would remain on Earth voluntarily as a "sorry I almost destroyed humanity this is the best I can do" gesture. Whether the ending would be happy or just bittersweet would depend on if one or several members of the regular cast decide to stay with him.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”