FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Princess Asuka » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 pm

A request:

I really wanna see a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon crossover fanfic/fanfanart

I think it would be cute to see Asuka and Rei as Sailor Senshi and I really wanna see Shinji as Tuxedo Mask. :crush:

Somebody needs to write this!!!

Gemini011
Adam

Postby Gemini011 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:50 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Once More With Feeling by Crazy-88 has a really sporadic update schedule, but it's one of the best Peggy Sue's out there (in my humble opinion).

I love Once More With Feeling, and I agree it's one of the best of the genre, but I feel like it would be interesting to read something that approaches the concept from a slightly more "Eva-like" direction... probably not quite as optimistic as Once More, but hopefully not as bleak as Lavanya Six's response to it.

If worse comes to worst, I suppose I can try to write it myself. :bigeyes:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:40 pm

I admit that at first I didn't liked Once More With Feeling, because even though the writing is very good, it seemed to run the old cliché of suddenly transforming Shinji into a super badass by the magic of time travel who munches through every Angels and fixes everyone's issues.

But with the latest chapter published(dealing with Sandalphon), we get to understand that this confident side is part of a facade he keeps because he just wouldn't be able to bear to see the end of the world again, and in his mind he's haunted with what happened in the original timeline and still suffer from bouts of self-esteem issues, although this time he knows that moping won't get him anywhere, and that he must continue to advance if he want things to get better.

But the true big surprise of Shinji's characterization here comes
Latest chapter  SPOILER: Show
from the conversation between Keel and Shinji's grandfather(it's the first time I see an author exploiting the fact that Yui's father is an high-ranked member of SEELE), after the Committee's meeting with the pilots, when both discuss the fact that Shinji took a lot from his mother, in his zeal and sense of moral outrage.

And then it hit me : the Shinji from this story isn't just a generic "badass Shinji" used in so many fanfics, but the author's take on what the true Shinji is like, meaning Shinji without the crippling lack of self-esteem that stunted his social life in his "past life", it's more or less what Shinji would look like had Yui not died and/or Gendo not abandoned him without giving him any reason when he was four.

I was also very pleased by
the scene of Kaji making Shinji come down to earth and make him realize that he should stay away from the secret society and conspiracy stuff and leave it to the JDA who are better suited to it, and stick to what he's really the one to be able to do something about : destroy the Angels. And the fact that Keel read Shinji like an open book and understood that he knows more than he let shows and plays his own game hammers the nail that Shinji is a complete novice on the liar game and should stick to killing giant aliens!

And even with the knowledge of their capacities Shinji still messes up from time to time, especially with the ones he realize he won by pure luck and instinct, something you can't muster if you already know what will happen. So far he managed to find a way to get around the problem by finding an alternative(calling for Kyoko against Gaghiel, relying on Rei for Sandalphon), but something tells me that won't be possible against guys like Leliel, Zeruel or Arael.

I'm also curious about what will happen with Bardiel, since so far Toji doesn't have any reason for joining NERV, unless he's chosen because of his friendship with Shinji and decides to accept the offer to help the guy that's working so hard to save his, his sister and all of mankind's butt. That's the kind of horrible irony I could see happen!(especially since it's possible that it's a similar thing happened in the Rebuild, judging by the presence of Toji's shirt in neo-NERV HQ)

As for the many "extra-scenes" that weren't in the original show, like the dance, or the improvised quad race between the pilot(an absolutely hilarious scene!), the message is that these occasions were here, but Shinji was too locked in his bubble to realize that they were here, but now that he got a second chance, he can live his life more fully and seize the opportunities that presents.

I found Rei's character development a little too fast, too quickly clearly thinking that Gendo is in the wrong and that Instrumentality is a dead-end for mankind, as well as becoming too "poka poka" fairly early. The fact it's implied that due to some quantum magic thanks to her Lilith soul she unconsciously remember part of her life in the alternative timeline(like Rei III had some remnants "feelings" from Rei II) and thus that part of her character development already happened is just have to be "unlocked" only mitigating things a little, it's still a little too abrupt in my opinion.

What really peeves are the many errors about the setting scattered across the story, like the fact Shinji has been with his uncle(Gendo's brother) after Yui's death(while it was with a teacher in NGE, and only in the manga is was with his uncle, and aunt and cousin, who are from Yui's side of his family), that Naoko's soul is EVA-00's or the incorrect nationality of most of the Committee's members, that's not plot relevant details, but they still spoil a little an otherwise great fic.

---

Now I would like to recommend a fic : 19 by MAI742, the same guy that did Watching Shinji that I recommended some pages ago. The premise is simple : the Angel don't stop coming, and they get more and more lethal.
Each chapter is a snippet about a given moment of the War, named after Shinji's age at that moment(so first chapter, "19", which is also give the title to the story, is when Shinji is 19 years old), and they are basically divided into two narrations : on one side Misato and co trying to make the organization run and get enough funds to repairs the damages, recruit more pilots and try to finish the next generation of Evangelion that supposedly would grant them an edge on the war, and on the other side we have Shinji trying to accommodate to his new role as an instructor and leader for the new pilots, all the while the strain to the world economy triggered by the war effort makes the situation more and more nightmarish, turning the government into an hellish mix of 1984 and Soylen Green.

That story give me strong Attack on Titan vibes, with an eternal war against an enemy that never stops coming, the insane casualty rate of the new ones, and Shinji whom we see gradually becoming the Levi/Rivaille of the setting : the best soldier of humanity, and an completely jaded and cynical man, going in jerkass territory fairly often, to a point that would make Q!Asuka shudder.
Alternatively, that could be considered as Shinji in Rebuild 3.0 if he got to live the 14 years after Third Impact,
especially since in the latest chapter the war is ongoing for 13 years!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gemini011
Adam

Postby Gemini011 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:22 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
(it's the first time I see an author exploiting the fact that Yui's father is an high-ranked member of SEELE)

Well, except for
SPOILER: Show
some of Gregg's stuff, e.g. Nobody Dies.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I'm also curious about what will happen with Bardiel, since so far Toji doesn't have any reason for joining NERV, unless he's chosen because of his friendship with Shinji and decides to accept the offer to help the guy that's working so hard to save his, his sister and all of mankind's butt. That's the kind of horrible irony I could see happen!

Yeah... that would actually make a lot of sense... I guess we'll have to wait and see how that whole situation comes out. Might be a bit of a wait before we get there, though considering the pace of updates thus far.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Now I would like to recommend a fic : 19 by MAI742, the same guy that did Watching Shinji that I recommended some pages ago.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Have to admit though, I'm wondering how much longer the fic can sustain itself.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Anyone here knows enough German to spellcheck a few lines for me? It's technical language, not conversation.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

CommodoreNemo
Adam

Postby CommodoreNemo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:17 pm

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:A request:

I really wanna see a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon crossover fanfic/fanfanart

I think it would be cute to see Asuka and Rei as Sailor Senshi and I really wanna see Shinji as Tuxedo Mask. :crush:

Somebody needs to write this!!!

I would like to second that one, Rei and Asuka as any kind of Mahou Shoujo is appreciated.

And another request, has anyone written a more substantial. Eva/RahXephon crossover, I recall stumbling upon a few, but all of them were apparently ather quickly?
Hate, what do you know about hate!

What would your good do if evil didn't exist, and what would the earth look like if all the shadows disappeared?
After all, shadows are cast by things and people. Here is the shadow of my sword. But shadows also come from trees and living beings. Do you want to strip the earth of all trees and living things just because of your fantasy of enjoying naked light?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:18 am

For those who haven't heard it yet, as of four days ago, Shinji & Warhammer 40K is officially back in business. That is, part of the next chapter has been posted on Spacebattles.

The author admitted he wrote himself into a corner with a lot of mistakes and "reckless escalation" but he owes the story to finish it - even though he'd rather start over from scratch.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:05 am

That's not good. I've already seen an awesome fic that was finished out of obligation... It was so forced and half hearted, dropped all unfinished plots just to get it out of the way... It SUCKED :sniffle:

What Shinji & Warhammer 40K gave us was awesomness of unthinkable proportions... From basicaly every character you can name. No one was left as "just meh". Everyone got their shining moment. I hope this will not go to waste by dropping it all to toilet to just end the story.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:09 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:That's not good. I've already seen an awesome fic that was finished out of obligation... It was so forced and half hearted, dropped all unfinished plots just to get it out of the way... It SUCKED :sniffle:

Which one are you talking about?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 am

Luckily for you, nothing Eva related. Just one of my personal guilty pleasures.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Asukaner117
Adam

Postby Asukaner117 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Soooo i had started reading "Unbroken" recently and i loved the first three chapters. Great atmosphere, and great character development on Asukas part. Then chapter four happens and suddenly, well ...
SPOILER: Show
Lilith shows up and sends Asuka back in time, what a bummer :(

My question: Are there more good Fics in in the vein of the first 3 1/2 chapters from "Unbroken"? Beside "Orchestrating the Silence"?
God's in his heaven all's right with the world

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:00 pm

and that was the exact moment I stopped reading it as well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 pm

When I have time I'm going to write a peggy sue that'll knock all your socks off.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:01 am

Looking forward to it.

Just clarify one thing, please: 'knock our socks off' in the awesome department or the hilarity department?

Gemini011
Adam

Postby Gemini011 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:13 am

Precedent suggests he can probably manage both.
Interviewer: How much rewriting do you do?
Hemingway: It depends. I rewrote the ending of Farewell to Arms, the last page of it, 39 times before I was satisfied.
Interviewer: Was there some technical problem there? What was it that had stumped you?
Hemingway: Getting the words right.

It could be just me but I'd rather watch two damaged people help each other stand up than an over-idealized kisskisslovelove sugarbowl. The former has far more "d'awwww" potential.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:peggy sue

knock all your socks off.

It's like you're saying you'll create water that's not wet.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gemini011
Adam

Postby Gemini011 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Well, okay, on the topic of much-maligned and often-awful fanfiction tropes, how about self-inserts?

I've only read three for Evangelion - I Was a Teenage Dummy Plug, Self Insert Evangelion, and New Perspective Evangelion.

Each one followed roughly the same pattern for me:

1. Avoid it for months, because *shudder* it was a self-insert and therefore must be awful.
2. Get bored/curious enough to read the first chapter.
3. Be surprised that it wasn't complete and utter shite.
4. Be surprised again when it turns out to be genuinely enjoyable.

I'm not saying any of these is a masterpiece, and they all have plenty of problems, but each is "good" in its own way despite its classification as SI.
Interviewer: How much rewriting do you do?
Hemingway: It depends. I rewrote the ending of Farewell to Arms, the last page of it, 39 times before I was satisfied.
Interviewer: Was there some technical problem there? What was it that had stumped you?
Hemingway: Getting the words right.

It could be just me but I'd rather watch two damaged people help each other stand up than an over-idealized kisskisslovelove sugarbowl. The former has far more "d'awwww" potential.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Well, there's always this : http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/1857/Fic-The-Tenant-of-Room-404/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:38 pm

View Original PostGemini011 wrote:1. Avoid it for months, because *shudder* it was a self-insert and therefore must be awful.

Too bad I never got past that stage.

Also considered writing an SI but decided it wouldn't do any good, considering what I am like.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:21 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's like you're saying you'll create water that's not wet.

Turn lead into gold. :devil:
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Fanfiction”