FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:35 pm

I've done very little in the way fanfiction, and all of it was either Legend of Zelda or Kingdom Hearts. I've been thinking of doing some Evangelion later on.

The main fanfiction that I'm writing is a Kingdom Hearts crossover fanfiction where all the main characters become rap artists so they could spread dope rhymes across the universe. Morrowind and Evangelion are also planned to be introduced, with Shinji singing parodies of Illusions by Cypress Hill, and Only God Can Judge Me by Tupac Shakur. Both required surprisingly few changes to be Evangelion related. The whole thing starts off as a comedy but turns to tragedy and philosophy, much like Evangelion did (I actually had the idea long before I watched Evangelion. As soon as I did, I knew I had to include it). I'd love to explain more, but it would spoil the ending.

You're probably thinking that it's the worst concept for a fanfiction you've ever heard. Good. I love stuff that is so bad that it wraps around and becomes good again. I should note that while the concept is purposely terrible, the writing is not. I'm working hard to make sure that it's an enjoyable fic, and I'm trying to put in appropriate literary devices (metaphors, symbolism, etc.) without looking like I'm just trying to shove them in there. It has to sound amateurish, but look like it was written by a professional (or is at least halfway competent). It takes a lot of hard work to be so bad, you know.

Other ideas I have floating around include a Perry the Platypus parody, with Penpen taking the role of Perry and Keele being the evil doctor.

I also have an alternate retelling of the first episode: When the car flips over due to an explosion, Shinji and Misato both die as surviving such a crash is not realistic or feasible. The story ends there.

I also had one where Kaji awoke one morning to discover that he had been transformed into a giant cockroach, but the concept was too good to use. Points to anyone that gets it.

Does anyone know of any fanfiction like that? I'd love to read it.

tl;dr I'm looking for, and writing, the Plan 9 From Outer Space of Evangelion fanfiction.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:00 pm

View Original Postssguy wrote:I also had one where Kaji awoke one morning to discover that he had been transformed into a giant cockroach, but the concept was too good to use. Points to anyone that gets it.

It only counts if he is never actually described as a cockroach, just some kind of "vermin".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:It only counts if he is never actually described as a cockroach, just some kind of "vermin".

It was actually a reference to The Producers, wherein the main character is trying to find the next play he will produce. The twist is that he wants the play to fail as part of a tax fraud scheme. The cockroach play was refused for being too good. He ended up picking one that is basically Hitler fanfiction written by a neo-nazi.

Also, I think I was a bit incorrect before. I'm not really looking for it's so bad it's good, but generally absurd works as well.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Again I point you to Zentrodie/Mercarbe(sp?) or the superwomen of Eva series. IMO :coffee:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 pm

View Original Postssguy wrote:It was actually a reference to The Producers

:( No points for me after all.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 pm

So, right now, am seriously thinking of focusing an entire fanfiction around Shinji with sideburns and a silky mustache, wearing a Victorian era suit replete with a cape, tall hat, silk gloves, cane and douchebag attitude.

Thoughts?

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:09 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:So, right now, am seriously thinking of focusing an entire fanfiction around Shinji with sideburns and a silky mustache, wearing a Victorian era suit replete with a cape, tall hat, silk gloves, cane and douchebag attitude.

Thoughts?

Everything about this is beautiful.

What is his accent? Does he have a welsh accent? Cockney? Or not a british one at all?

I'd have him try to do a bad Chapman impression (of Monty Python fame, of course), since that fits his character the best, but based on how you write him Eric Idle or John Cleese may be better.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:10 am

View Original Postssguy wrote:When the car flips over due to an explosion, Shinji and Misato both die as surviving such a crash is not realistic or feasible.

...But the Angel whose existence caused the weapon to be used in the first place is?!
System Administrator

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:42 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:...But the Angel whose existence caused the weapon to be used in the first place is?!

Well it realistically follows the laws of physics, so far as I can tell. Supernatural things are fine, but they have to follow our natural laws.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

View Original Postssguy wrote:Well it realistically follows the laws of physics, so far as I can tell. Supernatural things are fine, but they have to follow our natural laws.

The square cube law would end the series really fast then. Unit-01 would collapse after taking a step because of its mass.

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:29 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:The square cube law would end the series really fast then. Unit-01 would collapse after taking a step because of its mass.

Hmm, having the show properly follow the laws of physics may be more difficult than I thought. I think that's the reason everyone ignores it.

Still, with the right proportions Unit-01 should be able to move without violating any physical laws.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 pm

erm, no

What material on earth is dense enough to support that kind of weight?

For that matter what kind of road can an Eva walk on without crushing?

I mean, all mecha except shit like Scopedogs get fucked over by physics.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:erm, no

What material on earth is dense enough to support that kind of weight?

For that matter what kind of road can an Eva walk on without crushing?

I mean, all mecha except shit like Scopedogs get fucked over by physics.

Evas aren't really mechs though: they're cyborgs. There are plenty of biological substances in the world that are stronger then their artificial counterparts. It's within the realm of possibility that an Eva's biological exoskeleton allows it to support such massive weight. Also, it could be lampshaded that an Eva's ATF allows it to remain functioning, much like how Star Trek ships have a structural integrity field that keeps them from falling apart.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 am

We've seen that the Evas have an endoskeletal system identical to that of humans. What I'd like to know is how you can stuff materials dense enough to support that kind of weight (biological and artificial insertions + that 12,000 plates of fortified armor) and still have a working spinal column.

The material would have to be denser, and thus heavier, and thus even more dense and even heavier, and the Evas' musculature are also extremely dense, which only contributes to the problem of mass.

On a separate note, regarding the idea I posted a few posts ago, the story is here. Insert self advertisement:
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Rokobungi Saga

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 pm

^ Maybe Evas' armour are made of carbon fibre?

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 am

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:^ Maybe Evas' armour are made of carbon fibre?

Going by episode 19, the armors didn't seem to be much (if any) help.

And (kinda) on topic: I have never read any NGE Fanfiction and don't plan to for a while, not because i dislike fanfiction but because i don't feel like looking for good NGE fanfiction. And i don't dare to write my own, at least not yet.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:19 pm

At a guess, a healthy combination of inorganics mixed into the bone and having the armor functioning as a counterweight.

All you really have to find is a way it would work when the Unit is inert. When its active, a passive AT Field could work as part of the Unit's autonomic systems to maintain functional human shape.

Also, the whole bit about biological creatures not being able to grow as big as Godzilla assumes terrestrial evolution. Whence came the Seeds? For all we know, their bones are composed of buckyballs knitted together by variable quantum entanglement.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:53 pm

There's one problem with Eva armour - in EoE, Asuka says she has something like 15,000 plates of armour. How thin would Eva armour have to be if there's that many plates?!

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:16 pm

Is there a fic where Rei goes to live with Misato?

The comedy potential would be huge. Imagine Misato explaining to Rei why she enjoys beer so much.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:28 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:There's one problem with Eva armour - in EoE, Asuka says she has something like 15,000 plates of armour. How thin would Eva armour have to be if there's that many plates?!

15,000 plates != 1500 layers

Look at Evas' mobility; the armor is a lot of small plates

Return to “Fanfiction”