FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

cojax8
Lilith

Postby cojax8 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks for the recommendations essel, I have however, read quite a bit of what you've already recommended, I'm pretty sure I’ve already went through most of Eric Blair's work besides "30 Kisses, 30 Ways" and "Love and Hate". While I've read a few of his "30 Kisses, 30 Ways" I'm not particularly enthused about continuously having to read a new description of the characters and settings every time.

I believe I’ve read a little bit of "orchestrating the Silence" but haven’t been able to sit down and read it for an extended amount of time.

The recommendations don’t need to be comical, I’d just prefer them, as I’ve read non-humor related ones before and really enjoyed them.

A few of the Funniest fics I’ve read so far would have to be "Everyday" which is an AU Harem type fic with just about every girl in the fic fighting for Shinji, like Tenchi Muyo fighting, and the other one is Whipped, which I found hilarious, especially one of the parts in chapter 4, I was laughing for quite some time. Kaji in that fic is hilarious and I highly recommend that one, even if it’s not done, which is very upsetting
A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes, but to get into accord with them; they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -Sigmund Freud
We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love, never so forlornly unhappy as when we have lost our love object or its love. -Sigmund Freud
If someone offered you a pill that would make you permanently happy, you would be well advised to run fast and run far. Emotion is a compass that tells us what to do, and a compass that is perpetually stuck on NORTH is worthless. - Daniel Gilbert

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:57 pm

@esselfortium
So I should just have been boring and just said "there's a lot of good stuff out there if you drop the S/A requirement"?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Briecheeze
Embryo

Postby Briecheeze » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Uhhh, try Best Laid Plans by Ryoma - an old one, but you can find it on evafics.org and fanfiction.net (he started on a sequel, but abandoned it because the sequel wasn't up to his standards).

The humour requirement is kinda hard - I find the better S/A fics are more WAFFy - unless you don't mind that. Multi-chapter also limits some of the better ones out there (You sure you can't read long one-shots?).

There's also "Higher Learning" by Strike Fiss - I know some hate it, but I find a lot also love it - YMMV. It's pretty long, if you're into that sorta thing. It takes place within the Evangelion timeline (a bit altered), so there are depressing parts though...

cojax8
Lilith

Postby cojax8 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:50 am

@Briecheeze
well as I’m an S/A shipper, so I’m not particularly opposed to the WAFFy stories, and I suppose that I could read one shots as long as they are long enough, my main problem with the one shots is that I like to have substance and a decently long story, which is why I usually like the longer ones, but I’m not opposed to one shots, as long as their good.
A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes, but to get into accord with them; they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -Sigmund Freud
We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love, never so forlornly unhappy as when we have lost our love object or its love. -Sigmund Freud
If someone offered you a pill that would make you permanently happy, you would be well advised to run fast and run far. Emotion is a compass that tells us what to do, and a compass that is perpetually stuck on NORTH is worthless. - Daniel Gilbert

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Briecheeze wrote:Uhhh, try Best Laid Plans by Ryoma - an old one, but you can find it on evafics.org and fanfiction.net (he started on a sequel, but abandoned it because the sequel wasn't up to his standards).

I remember reading this one ages ago was quite good.

I've been thinking about reading some Evangelion fanfiction for quite a while actually but I'm completely out of the loop as far as Eva FF goes. I think I stopped reading it around the time I finished my last story. Suppose here is a good place anyone got any good S/A recommendations that are quite recent? Last one I read was probably when 'The 2nd Try' was completed.

Also thinking about getting back into writing fan fiction myself.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Re: Fanfic Reccomendations?

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:18 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
chaosakita wrote:Gendou/Yui (I can't find any of these at all...)
Gendo/Misato ditto. You have to go to doujins for that sort of thing -- English language fanfics seem to stick with teen romance when doing pairings.

I like calling them the wet suits. Let me assure you, that it applies to the Japanese fans as well. That ISN'T a compliment, btw. I think almost all the fan wanks for the kiddies have already been thought up.
I won.

Lanceavalon
Embryo

Postby Lanceavalon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:36 am

Once more with Feeling by Crazy-88 the fact this wasn't in one of the first posts shows that you fail at internet. ^_^

[url]http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3736100/1/Once_More_with_Feeling[/url]
Misato Katsuragi: God knows I'm not perfect, either. I've made tons of stupid mistakes, and later I regretted them. And I've done it over and over again, thousands of times; a cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred. But even so, every time I learned something about myself. Please Shinji, you've got to pilot the EVA and settle this once and for all... for your own sake. Find out why you came here; why you exist at all! Answer your own questions. And when you've found your answers, come back to me. I'll be waiting for you.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:33 pm

Lanceavalon wrote:Once more with Feeling by Crazy-88 the fact this wasn't in one of the first posts shows that you fail at internet. ^_^

[url]http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3736100/1/Once_More_with_Feeling[/url]

Yeah, I really hope to see that get updated again someday. I emailed the author a few months back and was told that it was still being worked on, but the 13 months since the last chapter was posted don't give me high hopes that it'll ever be completed. :(

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:55 pm

That fic fails for shipping Rei with kensuke, or anyone with kensuke for that matter.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Fin.de.Siecle wrote:Thanks for the link for "Pages"; I was trying to hunt it recently, but to no avail.

I'd recommend Lavanya Six's "Taking Sights," which is one of the best Eva fics I've read -- and I've been reading Evangelion fanfiction since 2002/2003 -- and the only one I still bother to keep up with. Summary: "AU. After Third Impact, Gendo Ikari gets his own chance to go back and change things for the better. But things do not go as planned this time around, either."

It can be found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4109686/1/Taking_Sights_Book_1

I must say, this is a great fan fic!:thumbsup:
I'm really impressed with the level of quality the story has.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:48 pm

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanficRecs/NeonGenesisEvangelion

You'll find something you like here. YT is mentioned somewhere.

Also... any chance of a bloody sticky of fanfic rec's.... because I've seen a couple of these around.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Recommended Fanfics

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:57 pm

As a starter list, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanficRecs/NeonGenesisEvangelion has what I consider to be a surprisingly good and varied selection of recommended fics.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:58 pm

a lot of this was already mentioned in my 'fanfiction survey' thread, wherever that got off to.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Since I asked for this... I might aswell start with one of my own.

Truth or Dare
Just about the only pairing fic I'll ever write. Dull, traditionalist, inoffensive schlock exisiting solely to get 2 characters together. No lemon whatsoever. No originality whatsoever. But some people like it.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:19 pm

What We Make of It by Zentrodie on Fanfiction.net

I like it because it is one of my favorite genres of anime/manga, Harem. I like the wide and varied cast of characters the author has put into it, and most of the characters in there are more or less kept in character. It's also a nice light hearted, fluffy escape from reality and a good way to relax. In honest I enjoy all of Zentrodie's works, if you prefer something more serious or that goes somewhere, dont read this. But if you are looking for a fun entertaining read, then I highly recommend this fic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:18 pm

I think this would work better if people were disallowed from recommending their own stories. Also, can I haz badfic recommends?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm

BobBQ wrote:I think this would work better if people were disallowed from recommending their own stories.

I agree. People advertising their own stories is boring and predictable.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

cojax8
Lilith

Postby cojax8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Hmm, I would have to say that Whipped, by Fresh C on fanfiction.net was definitely one of my more favorite humor Fics. I actually tear’ed up a bit from laughing on a few of the scenes that were there because I could visualize them so perfectly. Anyway, it's set either right before or right after the 12th angle takes in Shinji and after he frees himself Asuka states that she likes him, but things don’t go quite so smoothly for him which is where most of the humor comes from. It's not done and I don’t think it'll ever be done, but how the last chapter ends I guess you could see it as en ending enough.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 pm

been writing one since last Sunday
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 pm

If I've only got the one recommendation to offer I'll avoid the 'known' authors like Adam Kadamon and Random1337 and instead spend it one something that's not likely to be mentioned by anyone else. Here's a link to a list of all my favorites though, if you're interested.

The Way Out is Through is a continuation fic that pulls absolutely no punches, offering an original flavor tale in the bleak remains of a crippled world trying to pull itself back together. It is dark, but certainly not unjustifiably so, and everything that happens serves both the plot and the characters' personal growth quite well. It even contains one of the few instances of Shinji/Asuka that I don't mind so much, specifically because it only happens once the two have been apart for several years and have finally grown up a little, and without a hint of waff in sight. Seriously, this is an A/S fic that even Tines might like... assuming he can stomach some of Asuka's more desperate moments.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Fanfiction”