FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:38 am

Tsachoul wrote:A pity that realistic looking CG is rather out of the question for a self-funded production,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_a_Distant_Star#Production

@PuppetChaos
NXE survives on the technical competence of the writing (in top tier for fanfics), rather than the Marty Stu/everything and the kitchen sink too storyline.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tsachoul
Lilith

Postby Tsachoul » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:08 am

@ Mr. Tines: That... is mightily impressive. I will have to take a look a that. However, I went off on a bit of a tangent there and was referring to realistic CG for use with live action; which is how I roll.
"We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world assunder."

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Baz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 am

@Tsachoul: Here is a live-action CG that a couple guys threw together for fun in just 3.5 months:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woi9j3we1IY[/url]
And this was way back in 2000, google "405themovie" for more info. Combine this kind of CG with the kind of quality props and costumes in the Star Trek fan movies, and you'll see that half-decent amateur productions are indeed possible.

@Topic: Getting into fan-fiction would be too time consuming for me.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fanfiction Survey

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:34 am

Way past refrigerator logic here...

pat457 wrote:I wish many English fics would also show some craziness or two. I'm a sucker for humour (British spelling intentional).
I suddenly realize that I ought have pointed at Misato's Predicament and Two Salarymen (which now have to be dug out of the archives from http://web.archive.org/web/20031008105005/www.thekeep.org/~lara/nonranma/index.html)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:20 am

I used to read a lot of fan-fiction when I first got into Evangelion, but I stopped reading a long time ago.

I've actually been reading Eva-R though recently. I'm just about done with it....it's ok I guess but it just seems like whoever wrote it didn't have a lot of ideas of their own. A lot of what happens in the story happened in the actual series, just in Eva-R a little detail is changed or it happens to someone else.

I started writing a fan-fic back when I first got into Eva. It was more like a screenplay the way I wrote it, but I think I lost it when I got my new computer. I actually had like 30 pages written or something...I don't even remember what it was about really, I don't think it was all that similar to the series, pretty much just had the characters in it.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:54 am

I used to read a lot of eva fics back in the late 90's early 2000's.

I'm pretty vanilla. I like fics that stay in character and honor the canon as much as possible more or less. Divirgences and alternate happenings can be fun too. I don't read cross overs at all or anything to whacky.

I'll have to read some of the local stuff and see if there is anything I find agreeable.
Eva-R is decent but I always thought I could write better (and am currently adding onto that project ). :yippee:

I always enjoy a good Shinji+Asuka pairing that is original and complex, which is almost never.

I like the aspects of the show to be inherent in the fiction I read. So basically drama, tragedy, psychological that kind of thing. Not _to_ much on the metaphysical though.

Dislikes:
-ReiXShinji to an extent. Personally I just don't see it happening past a certain point, but I'm not completely put off by the idea.
-too much WAFF/happy good things happening
-OOC'ness !
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:42 am

Orphan Of Darkness wrote:I don't read cross overs at all or anything too whacky.
But that's where the best stuff tends to be.

Orphan Of Darkness wrote:I'll have to read some of the local stuff and see if there is anything I find agreeable.
The stickied magnum opus, perhaps (heh heh) :beavis:

Orphan Of Darkness wrote:-too much WAFF/happy good things happening
-OOC'ness !
And how allied those are!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:05 am

I'm an attention-deficit egotist, so I don't read much in the way of other people's fanfiction. I'm bad enough at finishing my own. Some of the stuff I dislike out of principle:

- smut for its own sake
- WAFF/angst seesawing
- inaccuracies/oversights (i.e., just getting things wrong, not intentional alterations; yes, I know some of it's "subjective")
- crappy writing
- OOC-ness (except for comedic effect)
- artificially drawing out the story with pointless and formulaic additions
- gun pr0n

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot.

I'm inclined to write stuff dealing with NGE backstory and the related group of characters, and, of course, dealing with the Seeds, Evas, and Angels as complicated, sentient entities. I sort of like to think that the stuff I write is so weird and "particular" that it would be very difficult to impossible to find much else like it, but... you never know.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:29 am

Reichu wrote:I'm an attention-deficit egotist, so I don't read much in the way of other people's fanfiction. I'm bad enough at finishing my own. Some of the stuff I dislike out of principle:

- smut for its own sake
- WAFF/angst seesawing
- inaccuracies/oversights (i.e., just getting things wrong, not intentional alterations; yes, I know some of it's "subjective")
- crappy writing
- OOC-ness (except for comedic effect)
- artificially drawing out the story with pointless and formulaic additions

That essentially covers my list of dislikes as well. "Crappy writing" does cover a pretty broad area- after all, fifty percent of all sentences on the internet are rife with spelling and grammar errors.

- gun pr0n

A certain someone is bound to point to both the cameos he gave you in his work and demand to know what he did to deserve this.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Sammaeloo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:04 am

I read some sometimes, but I like comedy fanfics the most. After all that action, doom and gloom, its fun to read some funny situations that wouldn't happen as often in the Eva universe.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:14 am

Reichu wrote:- "Ocean of dialogue" syndrome
Or ocean of non-dialog, as in

Rei: ...
Shinji: ...
6th Child:...
etc.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:40 am

Argh. I was going to reply to Reichu's post and something messed up. Not sure what happened. Sorry? >_<

Anyway, it's hard for me to read 404 because of how much attention is given to guns, myself. (IS it part of the story or what?) Also, I need to find the time to play catchup.

Oh, and in-character WAFF can happen, it's just rare.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:45 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Argh. I was going to reply to Reichu's post and something messed up. Not sure what happened. Sorry? >_<

Did you flush my post down the toilet? Did BobBQ send you?!?

Okay, I think I was adding justifiers to my loathing for gun pr0n and noting that it's one of the things that turns me off T404. Sometimes I can tolerant long, self-indulgent passages that have no direct connection to the story, but not here. In the past, I've tried to encourage BobBQ to either cut that stuff out or write it in such a way that even people like me -- who ordinarily find guns and ships and crap to be total snoozefests -- will be engaged, or otherwise so that it doesn't drag the story down. I'm not sure I was ever quite effective. BobBQ is a little defensive about his gun pr0n, and I guess the fact that some people enjoy T404 for that stuff and see no problem with it on a writing level or otherwise "makes up for" any input I might have to provide.

Another writing complaint that is prevalent in T404, mentioned in my lost post, is the "ocean of dialogue" syndrome. Basically, this:

"Blah blah blah blah."
"Yadda yadda yadda yadda."
"Blah blah blah blah."
"Yadda yadda yadda yadda."
"Blah blah blah blah."

On and on and on. No speakers identified. No interjection of descriptive prose. Just stacked dialogue. This is tolerable in limited amounts when you have two people going at it with one another, and it's easy to tell who's saying what, since they alternate. Throw in more, and it's a giant mess. Even worse when a sea of dialogue is floating on top of unwritten action, and the author is forcing you to deduce the happenings from what the characters are saying. On a regular basis. Lazy, lazy, lazy. The example Tines cited is preferable in that you at least don't have to try to guess who's saying what.

Nat deflected criticism of this back at me, too... My fault for not being able to follow along, or something. Blurgh.

SSD wrote:Oh, and in-character WAFF can happen, it's just rare.

When I think of "WAFF", I think of that horrible WAFF/angst seesawing that traumatized me back during the RPG. They are forever wed in my mind.
Last edited by Reichu on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Captain_Morgan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Read some of it...was following one of Dartz's stories for awhile.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:35 am

@ Reichu: all I'm going to say is that I have made an effort to improve on these things of late, admittedly mostly in 403, and that your attitude doesn't much incline me to want to read long, self-indulgent passages about an emotionally wrecked scientist having improper relations with a scrawny naked giant - which, as I shouldn't have to remind you, I have done without complaint in the past.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:47 pm

Reichu wrote:The example Tines cited is preferable in that you at least don't have to try to guess who's saying what.

That's a good point, but it's a problem that EVERY writer can have with their stories, not just teh Smith. Hell, I know in the past I've had "oceans of dialogue" problems myself, but I am trying to fix my writing when I can...

Did you flush my post down the toilet?

Apparently. I was trying to select "quote" and somehow selected "edit" then deleted the post by mistake. lolwtf. I'm really sorry. :bow:

Did BobBQ send you?!?

Nope. The "I'm still half-asleep when replying to the forums first thing in the morning" demons got me that day. :sweatdrop:

When I think of "WAFF", I think of that horrible WAFF/angst seesawing that traumatized me back during the RPG. They are forever wed in my mind.

Chan, (post-3I) thread, or both? :tonguegrin: And also: FFFFFFFFFFF.

Seriously though, it doesn't have to be "wed", but I understand that seesawing with not being realistic or in-character can suck. If it helps, my portrayal of Shinji (in the chan at least, since he's Legendary's in the current thread) has gotten better then the days of bipolar seesawing...

Smith wrote:I have made an effort to improve on these things of late, admittedly mostly in 403,

I will catch up with 404 AND 403 at some point, it's just it has been hard for me to find time for it because the stories are so long and involved with every little detail and just in general. It's not meant to be a criticism (hey, attention to detail is great, but it is a balancing act of course), it's just something I noticed.

Anyway, so this doesn't turn into a "let's dissect one person's work" thread, I'm agonna spill the beans on some of my own worries with writing:

I've been extremely self-conscious with my Rebuild fic I have on the forums. I want to update it perhaps sometime today, but at the same time my writing hasn't been as polished as it normally is (not as descriptive as it could be, some punctuation or technical errors, things like that) due to my writer's block (essentially I'm FORCING myself to write despite the block, I guess taking my creative writing class has helped me with this to an extent). I'm wondering if I should even bother and or if said fic is just turning out to be a steaming pile of crap. >_>;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

Postby Eric Blair » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:50 pm

The problem seems to be the writers in question tend to believe they are the next James Joyce, and in reality they turn out to be Joyce Adams IMO
Last edited by Eric Blair on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:13 pm

I started a fic...it's in my sig...but I never got far. I ended up too busy with other things to work on it. I had some awesome ideas that I might pick up on later, but for now it's kinda in development hell. And I stopped right when I was getting to the good part, too...*sigh*

As for what's good in a fic...WAFF for WAFF's sake is generally not that good, but if it's woven into a nice story and is IC, it can be really good. Humour's always a nice plus. Really, I just look for a story that doesn't seem like something someone whipped together to satisfy their self-indulgent pleasures that they've always wanted to see happen. Like I wouldn't read a crack-pairing fic, like Gendou/Misato, just because there's absolutely no way such a thing could happen. Or a fic where it's 800 pages of Shinji and Asuka having rough sex. Because there's no way Shinji has that kind of stamina.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:27 am

BobBQ wrote:(snip) which, as I shouldn't have to remind you, I have done without complaint in the past.

But your criticisms didn't target anything as being long and self-indulgent (heck, you suggested making at least one section longer), and you even asked for more, several times over, so... :bigeyes:

In any case, the comparison doesn't quite work, since "the emotionally wrecked scientist" is the core of my story, whereas I'm pretty sure T404's story isn't supposed to be about guns and the like.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:02 am

I write fanfic, but not Evangelion fanfic. I don't read Evangelion fanfic, either.

I tend to write fics for series where I could sneak something in or there's something I feel needs exploring or a character that needs some focus, but Evangelion feels pretty much airtight in that regard.

Second, I don't write fanfic for my personal sacred cows (mooo) because I don't think my writing could measure up to the canon, and it would make me feel a little bit dirty.

A lot of those things are also reasons why I don't read Evangelion fanfic. I don't feel it could measure up, either. Maybe I'm just misanthropic, as opposed to egotistical. :nyao:

Shipping? Yeah, I ship, too, but again, not with Evangelion. Because I can't see anything ending well...and my pairings are fairly vanilla to start with.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Return to “Fanfiction”