Neon Exodus Evangelion: Quite the Polarizing Series?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:24 pm

The ones that have acquired a patina of respectability, enough to be mentioned in a favourable manner, things like HERZ, Higher Learning, or TOILI. The ones I found unreadable.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:30 pm

HERZ did seem rather ...blah. The ending was especially meh-worthy if I remember correctly.

Hadn't heard of Higher Leraning before... seems okay generally speaking though there are already some continuity issues. Asuka is not being her usual self, however, so I'm guessing that was your beef.

What the hell is TOILI?

A few examples of what I consider good:
Oedipus Ikari = exactly what it sounds like.
The Play = a reworking of No Exit.
The Way Out is Through = depressingly faithful to your 'bad end' theorizing.
Reaching for the Ring = Catcher in the Rye, EVA style.
The Lifespan of a Love Affair = Misato/Shinji treated seriously.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:48 pm

The One I Love Is...

Usually referred to by acrostic.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 am

Starting off with a few self-insert issues...

I actually have, sitting in that mess-worse-than-Misato's-apartment that I call my brain, an EoE self-insert based on a very strange and disturbing dream I had about a week after seeing EoE for the first time. It's more or less a "what Third Impact/Instrumentality would be like for me if I were living in the Eva-verse than in the real world" sort of story. Considering how wierd it is, I have yet to commit it to a text document...

And I think I've seen NXE listed on fanfiction.net (aka "the Pit of Voles" to refugees from the Godawful Fanfiction Forum), but have yet to read it. If it's well-written, I might be inclined to take a look, but the Gary Stu debate has put me on Level 2 Alert about it.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:10 pm

While most Self Inserts can suck, not all do. Case in point: The Tenant of Room 404, right here in fandom. (It's a good read just for the story and could even help with some pointers on what not to do, maybe.)

2010 EDIT: No, I never read this DJ Croft fic in question, and after hearing from friends how godawful it is, I never plan to. :scared:
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:43 pm

If you're looking a fic that does unspeakable violence to the canon, but still manages to be insanely awesome, look no further than Shinji and Warhammer 40K.

Too lazy to find a link, it should be on the first few pages of ff.net. Be forewarned, wall of text.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:15 pm

^^
Starts off interesting, but gets tiresome quickly.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Fanfiction”