Evangelion: The Awakening

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

MisterHalt
Adam

Evangelion: The Awakening

•      
  •      

Postby MisterHalt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:21 am

Here is the first chapter of a story I've been going over in my head for...bloody hell, probably a couple months at this point. After posting the daydream in the Ideas thread just to try and get it out of my mind, I was contacted by Mike Mars and he encouraged me to expand on it. A couple days later and I was actually putting virtual pen to virtual paper and starting the story myself.

The current title of Evangelion: The Awakening is pretty much just a working title. Mike suggested it based on the themes present in this chapter. After Googling though, I found like...five fanfics with Awakening in the title, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to make it the permanent name

I must stress that I can't guarantee when I will have more chapters out. This chapter took approximately a week, and that was mainly because it was THIS chapter that the majority of my daydreaming focused around, so it was the part I already fleshed out the most. After this one, the story will to the past for a while as I go into what actually happened between Asuka and Shinji. I do have typed-up notes going from EoE up to a few months post-TI, but they're basically just ideas for scenes right now.

This is my very first stab at actually creating a story. Expect errors and such. And I would like to give many, many, MANY thanks to Mike Mars for seeing the idea and giving me the support I needed to make this happen.

SPOILER: Show
The Awakening

Chapter 1

The air was still. As if it were holding its breath in anticipation of what was to come in only a few short minutes. There was not a cloud in the sky, and the noon sun shone brightly, reflecting off the blade of a gigantic axe clutched tightly by equally gigantic armoured red fists. The owner of the fists stood in the middle of the street, angry green eyes locked onto a spot to the east. Behind it, hiding partially in the shadow of a tall windowless building, a second figure clad in blue armour aimed a long rifle past the one in red, focusing on the same point over the horizon.

A loud, petulant tone finally cut through the silence of the scene as the red armoured person gave voice to its displeasure.

“Where the hell is this thing?! It better not be late to its own funeral!”

“Asuka, relax for a moment will you? The MAGI are tracking its progress over the hills, it will be here shortly.”

An annoyed huff. “Relax? How about I shove you in here, put you outside during the next fight and then tell you to relax?”

“I'd like to see you try, missy! No way you’re getting me anywhere near the inside of one of those things!”

“What's the matter, Misato? Scared?”

A third, authoritative voice cut in before the argument could devolve any further.

“Settle down, both of you. According to the MAGI, your target will be coming into range in three minutes.”

Somewhere deep underground, a soft slap was heard in the command centre of NERV, as Ritsuko Akagi's palm met her face for the umpteenth time since she'd first met Misato Katsuragi. The chief scientist slowly shook her head as she realised she had grown used to these arguments between the relatively new commander of NERV and its most abrasive pilot. That didn't mean, however, she was anywhere close to enjoying having to break them up when they started taunting each other as if the command structure didn't exist. Both Misato and Asuka had an uncanny ability to irritate her, and she was almost positive that most of their bickering was deliberately designed to tick her off.

Standing a few feet away, her purple-haired superior officer turned and glanced at Ritsuko, a disappointed look on her face for a few seconds before hardening up as she turned back to the holographic display projected in the air before the control stations.

The display showed an overhead view of the city above their heads, with Unit-02 and Unit-00 on the left side, and a red blip designating their enemy on the right, slowly moving through the green hills of Tokyo-3. Below the map, deep red numbers counted down the seconds before visual contact would be achieved by the Units, and to the right, data streamed past as the supercomputers of NERV analysed the target, attempting to acquire as much information as possible on the enemy.

“How are their sync ratios?” asked Misato, finally breaking the uneasy silence that almost always preceded an engagement.

Ritsuko peered over the shoulder of the technician closest to her and replied, “Rei is at 64%, Asuka's at 88%, and Shinji is-”

“The same as always before a fight,” Misato interrupted

“Of course, until the fight actually starts. Then all bets are off.”

“So...since we still have a little time before contact, have you thought of a name for this one yet?” Misato asked, looking sideways at Ritsuko. “Or can I see if the MAGI have a random name generator?” she added with a smirk.

Sighing heavily, Ritsuko briefly considered facepalming once again at the question. Misato had to be doing this deliberately. “Commander, the MAGI is the most advanced computer system in the entire world. It essentially controls this entire city with just a fraction of its processing power. Are you seriously asking if it has the capability to make up names?”

“Eh heh, now that I think about it, I don't really want to see what the MAGI consider a name,” Misato replied sheepishly. “It'd probably come up with either something completely inappropriate, or a bunch of numbers and letters as a designation rather than a name. How about you, Rits? What do you think we should call this one?”

The chief scientist waved one arm absently in the air as she gazed up at the ceiling, deep in thought. “Since we're still sticking to that naming convention someone came up with ages ago, how about Raziel?”

Misato raised an eyebrow, before shrugging. “Fine, that's its name. It's about as good as we're going to get on such short notice.”

The mood turned serious as the countdown timer reached 00:30:00 and an alarm chimed to signify imminent contact. Misato closed her eyes as her hand reached for her neck, grasping for something that was no longer there.

“What do you think will happen this time?” whispered Maya Ibuki, with a troubled look spread across her features as she turned to her fellow technicians.

“Nothing bad I hope,” Makoto Hyuga replied, alternating between staring at his console and glancing up at the giant map with a pensive stare.

“I'm sure everything will be fine,” Shigeru Aoba attempted to reassure his two co-workers, his own eyes fixated on a fourth blip on the map labelled Unit-01, far to the south of the other Evangelion Units.

Maya glared at him. “How can you say that, after everything that's happened?!”

“Hey, I guess I've become an optimist.” Shigeru shrugged.

“Even after everything we've been through?”

“Especially after everything we've been through. We can't afford to give up. Not now, not ever.”

As the timer in her entry plug reached 00:30:00, Asuka Langley Soryu clenched her progressive axe tighter and gritted her teeth, throwing a glance to the south, where the third member of the pilot corps was stationed.

'Just this once, Third Child, stay the hell out of my way!' she thought to herself, not bothering to waste breath on the demand. 'It's not like he'll listen to me anyway, the idiot.' Crouching slightly and leaning forward, she prepared to charge as soon as the damned thing showed itself. Why did they always have to take so long to arrive?

Behind her, Unit-00 raised the rifle scope to its cyclopean eye, zooming in on the projected location for the creature to emerge. Inside its entry plug, Rei Ayanami sat, patiently waiting for the signal to fire. Only someone who knew her very well, and was staring intently at her face, would notice the faint frown and slightly narrowed eyes indicative of worry on the First Child's face. When she spared a fleeting look south, the intensity of the expression deepened slightly.

“Here it comes,” announced Misato over the radio as the massive white and orange humanoid form of the newly-christened Raziel slowly crested the last hill to the east. The first thing the pilots saw as the abomination lurched towards them was a disgusting, red-lipped face that took up almost the entirety of the head. The lips stretched back in what appeared to be a grimace of pain, and hideous orange growths covered most of its face before trailing down its right arm, covering the entire limb in a giant pulsating mass of orange flesh. The creature was hunched over with another large orange growth on its back, the remains of what appeared to be wings just barely sticking out at shoulder height. Its left arm hung limply at its side, obviously dislocated, and it walked as if it were barely stopping itself falling over. A sickly red and orange core sat in the centre of its torso, visibly pulsing like a heartbeat.

“Mein Gott, these things are getting uglier every time!” The exclamation from Asuka was partnered with a look of disgust on her face as she stared at the target.

“Do not let its appearance deceive you, Asuka,” Rei calmly replied. “They are becoming more dangerous every time they arrive, regardless of how damaged they appear.”

The sarcasm was thick in Asuka's reply. “Oh, I was not aware of that, Wondergirl.” She let out a heavy sigh. “I wish they would show up without heads just so I don't have to see that disgusting mouth again.”

“I find myself echoing your wish. The base physical appearance of these creatures is...disturbing to me as well.”

“Yeah, well you weren't the one that got ripped apart by them, so shut up!” Asuka angrily closed the comm window between their units and refocused on the disgusting creature in front of her. Now she could see why this one had taken so long to arrive compared to previous attacks.

Rei stared at the blank communication screen for a moment, before turning back to her scope. She had not intended to remind Asuka of the pain she had suffered, but it seemed inevitable that the topic would arise, given the nature of their current enemy. Rei's hands tightened slightly on her controls as her radio came to life again.

“10 seconds to contact,” came the call. “Try and make it a clean one, we're already having trouble with the funding for rebuilding this city.”

Any hopes that this would be an uncomplicated fight were shattered as an unearthly roar shook the city, the shrieks of ripping metal almost lost in the noise as Unit-01 tore its way out of the launch cradle as if it wasn’t even there. Heavy stomping from the south told Asuka that Unit-01 was already racing towards their target, and she surged forward before Misato could order her to advance.

'Schiesse, here we go again!' she thought as Unit-02 rushed down the street, ripping up asphalt and shaking buildings with every step the behemoth took, the power cable unfurling behind her. 'Jumping the gun as usual.' She had to get there before Unit-01 did, or there would be nothing left. 'Of which one though? The monster...or Shinji?'

“No. Shut up,” Asuka muttered to herself, trying in vain to banish the stray thought. “He's the Third Child, he's invincible.” Despite her attempts, she couldn't shake the foreboding sense that had wedged itself into her brain ever since the Angel alarm had sounded earlier that day. Asuka had a bad feeling that if she didn't take out this angel, something terrible would happen.

As fast as she could make Unit-02 move, it may as well have been standing still compared to Unit-01. Barely ten seconds had passed since the “launch” before Raziel raised its right arm, and multiple shimmering walls comprised of orange hexagons appeared in front of it in an attempt to stop the charging purple beast, which simply ducked its head and ran straight at the orange barrier. The impact could be heard for miles around, a discordant musical note, as gigantic armoured head met AT-Field. Raziel was driven several giant steps backward, its feet tearing up chunks of earth as it tried to brace the field. Unit-01 bounced off and landed on its back, the single giant horn on its head snapping from the impact. The barrier did not fare much better however. Four layers had been simply shattered by Unit-01's reckless attack, but the remaining layer held strong.

Asuka finally caught up to the fight as Raziel passed Unit-01, still dazed from the massive headbutt it had just delivered but slowly making its way back to its feet. Raziel simply ignored its first assailant, focusing on the bright red Evangelion running up the street towards it. The beast stood up straight, dropping all pretence at limping, and braced itself for another impact. Unit-02 brought its axe around in a mighty swing at the final barrier before the creature could shore up its defenses. Sparks flew as the blade simply skittered across the field, unable to gain any purchase on the frictionless wall. Backing off to avoid a retaliating swipe with that ugly orange arm, Asuka brought up her own AT-Field to neutralise that of the creature's. Before she could capitalise on this however, Asuka was nearly knocked to the ground as Raziel suddenly flew past her, tackled by Unit-01 from behind. A string of colourful German curses was flung at Unit-01 as Asuka dropped her axe, but her words did nothing to slow the two brawlers. Both of them plowed through a building, sending rubble flying everywhere, and Asuka backed up as a massive cloud of dust momentarily obscured both fighters from her view.

During the engagement, Rei remained where she had been assigned. She watched as the beast's AT-Field went down, but before she could fully line up a shot at its core, Unit-01 had interfered and she was forced to hold off to avoid friendly fire. As the dust cloud from the building collapse impeded her sight, she calmly switched her scope to thermal view, trying to keep a bead on the creature's core.

Laying in the ruins of the destroyed building, the grimace on the creature's face became a sickening grin as Unit-01 began wildly punching it in the head. Its whole body tensed, and then its left arm swung up and around. Despite appearing to be dislocated, the arm certainly had enough strength in it to send Unit-01 flying sideways and into another building. This time however, the building stayed mostly intact and stopped Unit-01 from crashing through and falling to the ground again.

As the creature got to its feet, a deafening crack was heard as the dust cleared and Rei finally had a perfect shot on the core. Her rifle fired a massive metal slug over Asuka's shoulder as Unit-02 bent down to retrieve its axe and into the red-orange orb, sending the creature stumbling backwards as its right arm crossed over its chest to protect the core. The single shot was not enough, but the core now had spider-webbed cracks all through it. Rei fired again, but the round was simply absorbed by the strange orange flesh around the right arm as it shot up to protect itself.

It was a testament to NERV's pilot training program that Asuka did not so much as flinch as both rounds passed within meters of her Unit's head. When she heard the first shot, Asuka had frozen so as to not accidentally get in the way when the second round passed by. She knew from extensive simulation training that Ayanami was scarily accurate when deployed as a sniper, which suited her perfectly as a primarily melee fighter. Asuka could keep the target occupied while Rei set up her shot.

There may not be many opportunities for a sniper shot in their engagements, but Rei never missed during their team training simulations. During one such simulation, Asuka was positive that a shot had actually brushed past her Unit's chin as she was moving away to give Rei a clear field of fire. Afterwards, Rei had denied that she deliberately gave Unit-02 a “friendly tap” with a sniper round rated for attacking Angels, and since it was a simulation there was no physical evidence, but Asuka was positive that she had seen the faintest glimpse of a grin on the First Child's face.

Refocusing on Raziel after only briefly considering complimenting Rei on her usual superb accuracy, Asuka stood up and stalked forward, preparing to bury her axe in its nauseating face. Memories of a previous fight tried to interfere, to make her freeze at the sight of the grin, but she squashed them down under mounting rage. She would never lose again. Not to such a putrid creature that relied on cheap tricks to defeat its target.

If Raziel had eyes, it would have widened them as it finally recognised the red armour of its current adversary. The grin grew even wider, and a thick red tongue poked out of its mouth and licked its lips as if witnessing a delicious buffet. It extended its left arm, no longer dislocated, and made a “come get me” gesture at Unit-02, mocking its pilot.

“Das ist es! Ich werde sie am ENDE!” Asuka shrieked, as pure condensed anger erupted and propelled her Evangelion forward, crossing the distance between them in a heartbeat.

“Well, that's certainly new,” remarked Shigeru as the command personnel watched Raziel provoke Asuka.

Misato raised an eyebrow. “Is it trying to make her careless?”

“Whatever its intention, Asuka's sync ratio just jumped twenty points when Raziel taunted her. She's sitting at 114% now.” replied Makoto.

“And Shinji's? Unit-01 hasn't budged from that building yet.”

Makoto turned and gave his superior officers a serious look. “0%, ma'am.”

Ritsuko interjected. “What about Rei's sync ratio?”

“70%. Ever since Unit-01 got thrown into that building, it's been slowly but steadily rising.”

“What's the status of Unit-01? Has it taken any damage?”

“Light damage to the head and back, from the charge and the buildings,” Shigeru reported.

As the technicians refocused on their screens, Ritsuko stepped closer and whispered to Misato, “What did Asuka just say? I didn't like the sound of it and my German's a bit rusty.”

Misato turned to face her friend, a worried look on her face. “Mine too, but I think she just said 'That's it, I will end you.'”

“Why the long face? Asuka's in top form as always.”

“Yes, but look at what just happened. That thing recognised her. The others only saw Unit-02 as just another enemy, but Raziel has somehow retained enough awareness to know who she is. And it's toying with her again! Just like...” she trailed off, remembering what had happened before.

“Just like when she fought all nine Mass Production Evangelions to a standstill before running out of power.” Ritsuko finished for her. “There's nothing to worry about now. There's only one of them, Asuka's cable is still connected and she has fire support from Rei. If that's not enough, we still have some of the stationary defenses active if you want to call in more long range support.”

Misato sighed and rubbed her forehead. She couldn't help herself. They may not be blood-related, but the Children were her children. Every time she had to send them out to face humanity's enemies, a little piece of her died. If there had been anything at all she could have done to prevent them getting into the Evangelions, and let them have a real, safe life, she would have snatched that opportunity long ago. No matter what it cost her. The Children deserved better than this. They were expected to act as adults, soldiers in someone else's war, yet were treated like...well, like children.

It was a titanic struggle to cut down on her drinking when she had to live with the possibility of her wards screaming and dying as a gigantic monstrosity tore them apart. There had been many nights since being transferred to Tokyo-3 as NERV's Operations Director where she had awoken in the middle of the night due to nightmares about their deaths. At that point she would always get out of bed and check each bedroom, reassuring herself that they were still alright before grabbing more beer out of the fridge to try and drown the memory of the nightmare away.

Once, after a particularly horrifying dream, she had fallen asleep on the ground with her back to Shinji's door, as if guarding him from anything that might threaten the closest thing she had to a son. This had earned her a strange look from Asuka when she awoke to go to the bathroom a couple hours later. The redhead knew the burden that was on Misato's shoulders, and merely covered her in a blanket before heading back to bed, silently thankful that someone cared that much about the pilots as people, not as soldiers.

Turning back to the fight on-screen, Misato tried to swallow down the unease she felt. Ever since Third Impact, things had not been getting back to normal as quickly as had been expected. More attacks from these things that were not Angels, yet were named as such to the media to avoid more panic, delayed the rebuilding of Tokyo-3.

“They're my kids, and all I can do is sit down here and order them into combat,” Misato finally whispered.

Asuka swung wildly, her axe missing by a narrow margin as Raziel jumped to the side, placing him at the left of Unit-02's wild charge. Without missing a beat, Asuka continued the swing, turning her whole Unit around and adding momentum to her attack as the axe sunk into the its right shoulder. The beast did not seem to notice, and Asuka's attempt to pull the axe out was thwarted as the wound appeared to close around the blade. The surface of Raziel's right arm began to writhe as it started pulling the axe into its mass. Realising that it was trying to trap her, the redhead let go of the handle, back-pedalling as she reached for her shoulder-mounted progressive knife.

“Asuka, avoid that right arm! We don't know exactly what it's made of but it seems to absorb any matter that comes in contact with it!” her radio squawked. She didn't bother responding to the blatantly obvious order, and began to think happy thoughts, like ripping that goddamn tongue out of Raziel's mouth.

Rei was forced to shift position as the fight progressed and Raziel moved out of her firing line. During Asuka's initial attack she picked herself up and ran to the north down the street as armoured buildings, controlled by the MAGI, sprung up to shield the blue Evangelion's movements. Asuka was keeping Raziel distracted with her attempts to perform a tonsillectomy, both fighters ducking and weaving around each other as if they were dancers at a rather strange costume ball. Setting her rifle up on a partially raised building for support, Rei gazed down the scope, bringing Raziel and Unit-02 into view. She tapped a button and her comm unit came on as she softly uttered two words.

“In position.”

Asuka heard Rei's call and stopped her attack, backing up as if she were catching her breath. Raziel did not appear to notice Unit-00 setting up and stalked towards Unit-02, slowly licking its lips again. A shudder ran down her spine at the sight, but Asuka kept slowly backing up, letting Raziel advance on her.

“Hold him there,” came the order as Rei carefully aimed at the beast's core from behind. Asuka feinted a swipe with her progressive knife at Raziel, stopping it in its tracks. A perfect shot for Rei, and one Raziel never saw coming. The shot stabbed through its back and impacted the core, further fracturing it, but still not enough to cause it to shatter. Orange goo started leaking out of the cracks in the core, seemingly attempting to seal itself back together.

Asuka looked on with glee as her enemy stumbled forward from the shot, impaling its skull with her knife as she stabbed it up through Raziel's chin. It threw its head back and roared in pain as she lost her grip on the knife, and she was completely unprepared as the right arm writhed and swung at her. Asuka's smile quickly left her face and the redhead let out a shriek of agony as she felt Unit-02's right arm fall away and a stabbing pain in the side of her chest, She grabbed at her own right shoulder as she once again felt the sympathetic feeling of a limb being severed. Blinking to try and clear the tears of pain from her eyes, she saw her own axe blade in front of her. The blade swung down twice more, easily severing Unit-02's power cable before being embedded again in Unit-02's right torso as the blade snapped off. The rest of the axe was ejected from the orange mass and clanged to the ground at Raziel's feet. The beast was no longer grinning.

It turned around, facing towards Rei, and raised its right arm again as it moved several paces towards her. The orange flesh writhed yet again, and a hole appeared at the end of its arm. Something fired from within, and only Rei's quick reflexes saved her as she ducked behind the armoured building. Her rifle was destroyed, the scope cleanly shot through, and had Rei not been so quick, she would have taken the hit, and the remains of the scope, in her Evangelion's face.

Back inside the NERV command room, alarms were blaring as the damage to Unit-02 was displayed.

“Unit-02's left arm has been severed!” yelled Shigeru. “Power cable also severed! Five minutes of internal power remaining!”

“Reduce the plug depth! Her sync ratio is too high!” ordered Ritsuko. “The sympathetic pain is too much for her, we need to do what we can to suppress it!”

“Affirmative, reducing plug depth! Sync ratio dropping, currently at 80%!”

Ritsuko turned back to face Asuka's comm window, a grimace of pain clearly evident on the young girl's face, tears streaming from eyes clenched shut. “Asuka, get out of there! Your cable has been cut, you only have five minutes before shut-down!”

“Unit-00 has lost its rifle! It can no longer provide support from its current location!” Makoto reported

“Do we have any more firearms nearby?” demanded Misato. “Can we send another rifle up for Rei?”

Makoto tapped on his keyboard before shaking his head. “Anything we have down here will take too long to send up at our current state of reconstruction. All we have up there right now are pallet rifles and handguns in an armoury block to the west.”

“That will have to do. Rei! Get a pallet rifle and go help Asuka!”

“Affirmative.” Rei's voice was calm, despite the chaos of the situation. Misato watched the main screen as the dot representing Unit-00 headed west. The cold feeling of unease in her gut had turned into an icy ball of fear. Once again she was merely on the sidelines, forced to watch as everything went to hell and her children were in trouble. She turned to Makoto. “What's wrong with Unit-01? Why hasn't it rejoined the fight yet?”

Makoto's eyes were locked on his display. “I don't know. We lost all telemetry on Unit-01 shortly after it was thrown into that building.”

“Is it shut down? Has something gone wrong? Is Shinji alright?!”

“Unknown, sorry Commander.”

Misato sighed heavily. “It's not your fault, Hyuga. Someone up there just really hates us.”

Rei stormed through the city, a pallet rifle in her Evangelion's hands and a handgun holstered on its hip. The buildings in front of her were retracting far too slow, and some were even jammed, their elevator mechanisms obviously still not fully repaired. Her only option was to turn south and head back to her original firing position.

“Asuka, I have retrieved another weapon and am currently on my way to assist.” That damn Wondergirl, always staying calm while everything around her turned to shit. She wasn't the one staring down a demon that had haunted her dreams ever since that first night on the beach.

'Caught out again! And this time with my own verdammte axe!' Asuka thought, nearly paralysed by both fear and pain as Raziel turned back to face her. Reducing the plug depth only slightly helped. Now it only felt like her entire arm had been stabbed, instead of severed. She had attempted to back away while Raziel's back was turned, but her movements were sluggish now that her sync ratio had sharply dropped and the pain still assaulted her. This wasn't supposed to happen! She wanted to wipe that stupid grin off Raziel's face, but not like this! Where the hell is Shinji? Probably still in that building, sleeping on the job like an idiot.

“Damnit, Shinji!” she cried as tears streamed down her face. “You had better get over here! If I get killed with you nowhere to be found again, I'm going to really be pissed off!” She expected no reply from the purple Evangelion, and thus was not surprised when nothing happened. Shinji was a useless lump nearly all the time, and his Evangelion was just a bigger lump that got in her way. Unit-01 and its pilot were constantly stealing her glory and her kills, but what she wouldn't give for him to steal this kill right now.

As Raziel advanced on her, Asuka's eyes widened as something horribly familiar slid out of its right arm. A double pointed weapon, twisting around itself a third of the way down its length and becoming a handle. Her left eye twitched as she recalled the searing pain of the lance as it speared her Evangelion through its eyes, leaving her half-blind and crippled. As if it too remembered, Raziel raised the points of the lance to the height of Unit-02's head, forcing Asuka to back away quicker, but the back of the red Evangelion slammed into a building before she could get very far.

“Shit! Is that the Lance of Longinus?!” Misato swore.

“No, I will not go down like this!” growled Asuka, as she finally forced herself to stop holding her own arm and wrapped both hands back around the controls. Unit-02's remaining arm shot up as the shoulder pylon released its knife. Asuka wasn't left-handed, but all pilots were trained to use a knife in both hands in case of injury to their dominant side. Her training did not help, however, as Raziel's left arm shot across to grab her wrist as she swung the knife at its head again. Leaning hard into the building to brace herself, Asuka brought a leg up and tried to kick at the damaged core, but the pain and her reduced sync ratio meant there was little force behind the kick. She pushed herself harder into the building behind her and brought both legs up, trying to push Raziel away with her feet, but it was like trying to push a mountain. Raziel's grimace turned back into the familiar disgusting grin as it watched its prey struggle. Its left hand squeezed, and Asuka could feel the bones collapse as a fresh wave of agony shot up her arm.

“Arrggh! Where the hell are you, Wondergirl?” she screamed as she began kicking wildly at Raziel, trying to loosen its grip and force it away.

“I am nearly there. I have reached Unit-01's location. It appears to be deactivated.”

“Of course it is. Once again, Shinji's completely useless and expects us to do everything! Give him a kick for me will you? Maybe that will wake him up.” The insults served as a minor distraction from the pain. Rei diplomatically chose to remain silent rather than state her belief that mere percussive force would be insufficient to awaken their downed comrade.

As Rei continued past the half-destroyed building, she thought she saw a flicker of light in Unit-01's eyes, but when she turned back to verify, they remained blank. She did not have time to examine the purple Evangelion, so she ran on, leaving Unit-01 behind. Asuka needed her assistance far more. Unit-00 rounded the final corner and faced Raziel, still focused on the struggles of Unit-02. Raising her pallet rifle, Rei sent several bursts down the street at its back, trying to draw its attention away from Unit-02. Asuka was directly behind her target, so she had to be very careful where her shots were targeted. The rounds of the pallet rifle did not have the power of her destroyed sniper rifle, and simply bounced off the armour on Raziel's back, or were absorbed into the mass near the destroyed wings. Rei did not stop firing, every shot hitting its back, but Raziel simply stood there, looking over its shoulder at Unit-00 and smirking at its defiance in the face of adversity. With a final crushing squeeze, Raziel let go of Unit-02's left arm and instead grabbed it by the neck. It then whirled around and brought the red Evangelion, still kicking, in front of it. Rei was forced to stop shooting. The core was the only place she could conceivably damage, and Unit-02 was directly in front of it

“Shinji, if you wouldn't mind getting off your lazy ass and helping, that would be nice! Shinji!” yelled Asuka, starting to choke as she almost begged Unit-01 to come to her aid. Outside her cockpit, she could see Raziel raising its right arm, lance pointed at her Evangelion's core.

“Shinji!”

The arm surged forward.

“Shinji!!!”

A sound was heard. A loud noise, horrifying and yet it was the sound that everyone had been holding their breath for. The sound stopped the lance millimetres before it could penetrate Unit-02's core, its distracted wielder looking to the south-west, scanning for the source of the disturbance. Its grin faded from its face as the roar continued.

It was a sound that made Asuka forget about her injuries, the pain unnoticed as she turned her head and focused on that beautiful sound she had been secretly hoping for. A sound that lifted her spirits and promised that everything would be alright.

It was a sound that put a small but warm smile on Rei's face as she heard it. Her pale hands, previously clutching the controls so tight they left imprints on them, relaxed as the sound surged through her.

It was a sound that shook the earth for miles around, and even deep underground in NERV, Misato could feel the vibrations in her feet. She clutched at her neck again as the sound melted the ball of ice in her gut and replaced the look of shock on her face with a faint grin.

“Go get 'em, Shinji,” she whispered.
Strength is being able to crush a tomato. Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato. Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato. Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad. Charisma is being able to sell a tomato based fruit salad.

MisterHalt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MisterHalt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:23 am

Unit-01 had awoken, and it was angry.

No, it was enraged.

When Asuka screamed Shinji's name as the lance had been rushing towards her Unit's core, the brilliant eyes of Unit-01 lit up and it opened its mouth and roared. It was a roar of fury and hatred and defiance. The sound wave demolished the building Unit-01 had been previously buried in and several others nearby, pieces flying all over the city as the purple beast got to its feet. It glared across the city at Raziel, who dropped Asuka and stared back with its eyeless face. Later, Shigeru would argue that if Unit-01 had eye-lasers, it would have struck Raziel dead in an instant simply from the force of that glare. And the lasers would have been green.

Raziel opened its mouth, the knife that had been embedded in its lower jaw falling out, and roared back. Unit-01 roared again, and for a minute the ground shook again as both adversaries tried to shout each other down, neither backing away.

“What...what's his sync ratio?” Ritsuko finally stammered. The first horrific roar had shaken her badly. The other two Evangelions simply unnerved her sometimes, especially Unit-00, but she was afraid of Unit-01. Ritsuko sometimes thought that Unit-00 was looking at her, but the Unit was always deactivated, and as a scientist she tried to dismiss the feeling due to that fact, but it persisted. Unit-01, however, was fear-inducing. She had watched as it went berserk against Sachiel and Zeruel. She had seen it viciously tear its way out of Leliel, caked in the blood of its dead enemy, and she knew what had caused those events. The soul of the Evangelion, the spirit of Yui Ikari acting to protect her child. But after Third Impact Yui's soul had, for lack of a better term, departed. Just like the soul in Unit-02. Yet both Units were still fully functional. Something had to still be in their cores. Ritsuko prayed that whatever it was would never realise her role in their creation.

“Unit-01's sync ratio currently at...this can't be right...245%” replied Makoto, who had been the first to tear his eyes away from the sight on the main screen. “I can't get a solid reading on the pilot though. The psychograph is all over the place and I can't see anything about his physical condition.”

“Is Unit-01 berserking again?” asked Maya. She did not want to bear witness to Unit-01 eating another monster. The sight of Zeruel's corpse being torn apart had been enough to make the poor girl vomit.

“No, this isn't a berserker state,” answered Shigeru. “Unit-01 doesn't just stand around when berserk, and its eyes and green trim aren't turning red. This looks similar though. Could...could it be that it's Shinji going berserk and not the Evangelion?”

“Looks like Asuka finally gotten through to him. I just wish it hadn't taken so long,” Misato sighed. With Shinji's behaviour over the last few months, she had been scared that the young man would never recover from whatever had happened to him during Third Impact. With Shinji refusing to respond to anyone, there was no way of knowing what he had been subjected to. Now, finally, a large crack appeared in the shell that had formed around him. Asuka had called for Shinji, and he had responded. Misato prayed that this would be the turning point for her surrogate son, and they could soon go back to being a real family again. First though, they all had to get through this fight.

Their shouting match finally over, Unit-01 and Raziel stalked towards each other. Rei's pallet rifle was out of ammo, so she discarded it and brought up her handgun. As she was about to fire at the core, the two beasts charged at each other, as if she had pulled the trigger on a starting pistol. Both fighters met, leading with a left punch that rattled the other's head. Unlike Raziel's fight with Unit-02, which could have almost been a dance, this was most definitely a brawl. The two combatants hit with anything they could connect with. A punch to Unit-01's head was responded to by a kick to Raziel's stomach. Unit-01 attempted to headbutt Raziel, who grabbed its head in both hands and introduced it to a rising knee in the chin. Raziel attempted to follow up with a roundhouse kick, but was countered by Unit-01 grabbing its leg and swinging it around, throwing it into another building. Unit-01 charged after it with a flying kick that pushed Raziel through the building and along the street behind it. Getting back to its feet, Raziel swung its right arm, with the lance still poking through the orange growth, wildly in front of it, trying to keep Unit-01 back. The purple Evangelion simply stopped and waited for its opponent to cease swinging.

Raziel was angry. It had wanted to tear the red beast apart, to feast upon its flesh again, without having to share this time. Its anticipated meal had been rudely interrupted. First it would deal with this purple interloper, then it would feast. The blue one was insignificant. And it smelled wrong. Perhaps it would also eat the purple one, maybe the purple one would be just as tasty. Yes, it would eat both. There was no need to share, and it could take its time. Raziel raised its lance and stalked forward, intent on burying it in this one's heart.

Unit-01 moved at the same time, crouching down and jumping forward, tackling Raziel and bringing it to the ground. Sitting on its chest, Unit-01 began raining blows on Raziel's head. At point blank range, it could not easily bring the long lance to bear, but Raziel eventually managed to pull its arm back and sink the lance partially into Unit-01's side, forcing it to get up and back away, roaring in pain and holding its torso where the lance had penetrated. Unit-01's eyes narrowed, and a low growl emanated from its mouth as it watched Raziel get back to its feet. The orange-red core in its chest was pulsing rapidly, thick amber liquid flowing out of the cracks and splattering on the road below. Both combatants were breathing heavily. It was only due to Unit-01's stolen S2 organ and its sheer tenacity that the fight had not ended several minutes ago.

As they ran at each other once again, punching and kicking with no more thought spared for defence, a few streets away Rei and Asuka were moving to give what support they could to Unit-01. Rei had needed to connect a new power cable as her old one had reached its maximum length. Asuka stumbled along behind her, a fresh cable also connected to her Evangelion just in time, with a handgun held loosely in her remaining hand. As the meaty sounds of fists and feet connecting with flesh and armour sounded nearby, Unit-00 turned and offered a supporting hand to Unit-02, who simply brushed past. A few steps later leaned on a nearby building as another wave of pain coursed up her arm.

“Are you alright, Asuka?” Rei asked.

“Oh, I'm just fine, First. You should see the other guy,” came the snippy response from Asuka, trying to hide her elation at Shinji's return to the field behind angry sarcasm.

“I witnessed your fight with Raziel. Despite your best efforts, it did not seem overly damaged.”

“Uuugh. You are impossible sometimes, Wondergirl. I'm positive you do this deliberately just to piss me right off.”

“I am sorry, I do not believe I understand the reason for your frustration.”

“I'm 'frustrated' because you take everything I say literally! I'm also 'frustrated' because that bastard beat me again! And thirdly I'm 'frustrated' because I had to be saved by Stupid Shinji! Again!” Thoughts swirled and fought in Asuka's head. 'Damnit, once again the distressed damsel has to be saved by the Invincible Shinji Ikari. No, thank god he came for me! I would have been torn apart again by that thing. I never want to feel that pain again! But why couldn't Shinji help me last time? Why was he nowhere to be found when I needed him most? I'm going to try talking to him again. Maybe he'll actually be responsive this time. Yeah, we'll talk and sort everything out. He just better have a damn good excuse.'

A loud smashing noise interrupted her train of thought, followed closely by twin roars of pain and anger. The red and blue Evangelions looked at each other for a moment before running down the street. As they turned the corner to where Raziel and Unit-01 were fighting, they were stopped in their tracks by the scene in front of them.

Both combatants stood in the centre of the street, heads almost on each other's shoulders, unmoving. Unit-01's right arm was sticking through Raziel's chest, its core held in an upright purple hand. The sight that shocked Asuka and Rei however was that of the lance coming out of Unit-01's back, having been speared directly in the centre of its chest up to where the two prongs became the handle.

“Oh no,” Rei whispered. “The entry plug...Shinji....”

“No! Shut up!” Asuka interrupted, dropping her act as she remembered the feeling she had felt in her stomach when the Angel alarm had sounded. The bad thing she was trying to prevent had happened anyway. She pushed past Rei and ran towards Unit-01. “He's the Third Child! He's invincible!

That was when the core detonated, blinding the pilots and bathing the city in white light. The shockwave nearly knocked Ritsuko and Misato from their feet, so unexpected was the explosion. Misato caught herself on Maya's chair and yelled, “Shinji! Asuka! Rei! Respond!”

“We're getting nothing from the surface ma'am! The topside systems are down! I'm trying to bring them back online!” reported Makoto, fingers flying over his keyboard as he attempted to restart the communication and visual instrumentation.

“Hurry, we need to know if the pilots are okay! Aoba, get medical teams standing by for all three pilots!” Misato ordered. The ball of ice in her stomach had returned with a vengeance when she had seen Unit-01 impaled. As if reading her mind, Ritsuko spoke up.

“From the angle of the lance, it would have gone right through the command chair.” That comment added more frost to Misato's gut, and she whirled around, fear evident on her face. “But did Shinji survive?! Tell me he survived, Ritsuko!”

“I'm sorry Commander, I can't be sure just yet. Maya,” Ritsuko turned to her protégé. “Get the MAGI to run an analysis on the last visual we have of Unit-01. Have them work out precisely where the lance intersects the entry plug.”

On the main view above them, the static of unresponsive cameras was replaced with a still image of Unit-01 and Raziel locked together in what almost seemed like an embrace. The screen zoomed in, and the picture was overlaid with a diagram showing the precise location of the entry plug. A white silhouette representing the pilot was placed in the command couch, then a thick red line representing the lance was drawn through the plug. Straight through the silhouette's torso.
Strength is being able to crush a tomato. Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato. Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato. Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad. Charisma is being able to sell a tomato based fruit salad.

MisterHalt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MisterHalt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:24 am

Wish this thing would tell me what the character limit is...

'Well, so much for all that reconstruction effort,' was the first thought that crossed Asuka's mind as she awoke from unconsciousness, partially buried in the ruins of an armoury building she had been standing in front of. As she got back to her feet she saw the devastation wrought by the explosion. Approximately a square kilometre of Tokyo-3 had been wiped clean. At the epicentre was a sight that froze the redhead's blood and made her heart leap into her throat.

Unit-01 was barely standing. Leaning over was more like it. The blast had knocked Unit-01 backwards, and the prongs of the lance had dug into the ground behind it. Asuka's mouth dropped open as she took in the horrific sight. What little frontal armour remained was cracked and scorched black, and all that was left of the right arm was a shoulder and a jagged humerus. There was no sign of Raziel, likely completely vaporised in the blast as its body unwittingly shielded its enemy. Asuka could see the Evangelion's left arm twitching and vainly struggling with the broken off hilt, as if trying to free itself from the lance. As she watched, the twitching stopped, and the arm fell lifelessly to her side as Unit-01's eyes started flickering unsteadily.

The terrified redhead finally got her legs moving and limped as fast as she could towards the stricken Unit, ignoring the metal debris that had buried itself in the back of Unit-02's left knee. As she reached out for the hilt of the lance, Unit-01's head jerkily turned to face her as the flickering in its eyes slowed. Her hand closed around the broken shaft of the lance, but she was interrupted in her rescue attempt when her comm unit blinked to life and a familiar purple-haired woman tried to break through the static. “Asuka, don't touch that lance!”

Asuka was tired and badly injured. The day had taken a great toll on her. “What...what do you mean? I have to get him out of his...” she began, but was cut off by the blonde doctor chiming in as the static cleared.

“That lance is plugging the wound. It may be the only thing keeping Shinji alive. If you remove it, Shinji will bleed to death in seconds. The best thing you can do right now is leave it in until the medical team can arrive.”

“Are you sure he's even still alive?! Misato, please tell me Shinji is alive!” Ever since she had turned the corner and seen Unit-01 impaled, Asuka had pushed aside any cares about what people might think of her attitude towards Shinji. Now was most definitely not a time for her to dance around something not even she was completely sure of.

“We can't be completely sure until we can see inside his plug, Asuka. Can you try and raise him on your comm? We're not even getting static from him, I'm amazed we were able to get through to you in time.”

“I...I'll try, but his Unit...it's in terrible shape...” Asuka closed the comm channel to NERV, and her finger hesitated above the button that would connect her to Shinji's Evangelion. Would he still be alive? Could she withstand the image of Shinji floating lifelessly in the entry plug, those cobalt eyes of his forever closed?

The giant blackened and cracked visage of Unit-01 stared back at Asuka as her Evangelion stood stock still, hand grasping the lance shaft, four green eyes locking onto two white eyes. Asuka idly noted that this was the first time she had ever seen something that could be called a plaintive look in a giant robot's eyes. Normally they looked to be in a state of near-constant anger, but now she felt as if Unit-01 was...sad.

Asuka was so fixated on those eyes, and her mind still so gridlocked by fear and doubt, that she nearly jumped out of her seat when Unit-01's remaining arm slowly raised and gently cupped Unit-02's cheek. Just like she had done to Shinji so long ago, when she woke up on that beach unable to breathe. Shinji's face looming over her, but those blue eyes...empty...unseeing, as if he wasn't actually cognizant of what was happening.

The gentle stroke from a giant purple hand brought her back to the present, and her finger jammed down on the comm switch so hard it almost broke. Unit-01's arm fell back down as a distorted comm window appeared in front of Asuka's face. She could just barely make out an arm flopping to the side, mirroring the crippled Evangelion. Elation and horror fought for control of her face as the window cleared up and she could finally see Unit-01's pilot.

The prong had been driven through most of the command couch. Shinji's legs had been crushed by his own seat, nearly severing them above the knees. It continued on to pierce his stomach and the couch before exiting the plug. His head lolled to one side, and his face looked like he had received a nasty sunburn. His arms hung loosely over the edge of the seat. and if it wasn't for the streetlight pole-sized lance shoved through him Shinji would have simply looked like he was taking a nap in his entry plug.

Elation finally won out as Asuka saw the boy's eyes flicker. “Shinji!” she cried, standing up in her seat and nearly pressing her face to the window as if it would make her easier to hear. Unit-01's eyes slowly closed as Shinji opened his. Turning his head toward the comm window, Asuka felt her own eyes begin to tear up as she saw something in those beautiful blue orbs that she had missed for too many months.

Shinji's eyes were alive. He blinked slowly, as if waking up from a nap. “Hey Asuka,” he moaned. “W-what's going on? I feel so...tired for some reason” He seemed to pay no attention to his legs or the pole through his gut, and merely shifted slightly in his seat.

Asuka's head drooped and her long red hair fell over her face as she tried to hide her tears from Shinji. “Y..you idiot, stop moving around. You're hurt. Stay still until the medics get here.”

“I'm...I feel fine...but what about you? Your Unit is missing...an arm. Did an Angel attack?”

Asuka brought her head up in shock. Was he completely unaware of what had happened? “Don't you remember? One of the mutated Mass Production Evangelions attacked!”

The redhead wiped her eyes clean as a frown crossed Shinji's face and he looked down, searching his memory. He somehow still missed the fact that he had been struck by a lance, as if his own mind was subconsciously ignoring his injuries and considering them unimportant. Looking back up at Asuka, there was frustration in his eyes as he said, “Mutated...Evangelion? What the heck is going on? I don't recall being...briefed on something like that.” He raised a hand to his forehead. “Argh, my head...oow, it feels like it's been...put through a shredder.”

As she flopped back on her couch in confusion, Asuka opened her mouth to speak...but no words came out. 'Has he lost his memory? How far back does it go? What the hell happened to him?! Does he even realise how badly he's hurt? How can somebody miss a giant spike through their gut?' Her train of thought derailed as Shinji spoke up.

“What's the matter Asuka? Are you okay? You look like you've been through hell. I'm sorry I wasn't there to help you.”

Her face hardened as she almost snapped off an order to stop apologising out of habit, but her mouth jammed as she realised something. For the last few months she would have given anything to hear him say even those two syllables. She rubbed her face and let the anger dissipate as the reality sunk in. Shinji was back.

“Shinji, I am grateful to see that you are alive.” Rei's comm window opened next to Shinji's, as she realised that the two of them had established contact. “There is no need for you to apologise for anything. Whether you know it or not, you were a critical part of our victory today.”

“A-Ayanami!” Shinji sputtered, his eyes widening. “I'm...glad to see you're okay.”

“Shinji, I believe I requested that you call me 'Rei'.”

“Oh...right. Sorry Rei.” Shinji replied with a sheepish look on his face. Doubt filled his mind as he tried to piece together whatever he still remembered, but it was like grabbing at fog. The more he attempted it, the more the memories dispersed and drifted away, and each attempt sent a stab of agony into his brain. His left arm came up to rub the back of his head, but even that simple movement seemed to exhaust him as the arm fell back down.

“Please do not apologise.”

“Stop apologising!”

The two female pilots stared at each other in disbelief as they spoke over each other. Shinji's gaze danced between the two comm windows in surprise, before he let out a chuckle. The laughter didn't last long, as he grimaced in pain and groaned, drawing the attention of his fellow pilots back to him. Worried looks crossed both of their faces as he started coughing, flecks of blood spotting his plugsuit.

Rei checked her map, scanning for the medical team en route to them. “Shinji, please remain still, you have been gravely injured. The medical team will be here in approximately five minutes. I will attempt to contact NERV and inform them of our status.”

Asuka sighed and leaned back in her couch as the mention of medical aid reminded the redhead of her own injuries. “I've already told him that, Wondergirl. He seems to be completely clueless about everything that's happened.” She grabbed at her own right arm as a dull wave of pain hit her again, and missed the look that appeared on Shinji's face as he watched the girl he had always admired squirm in her seat.

“Asuka, are you alright?”

She rolled her eyes. Of course he wouldn't notice his own injuries, choosing instead to focus on the fact that she was hurt. Typical Shinji. “I'll be fine, you idiot. Think of yourself for once.”

“Asuka...your Evangelion...your arm's...off!”

“So is yours! And you have a lance in your stomach!” Asuka retorted, leaning forward and glaring at Shinji. On the screen she saw him raise his right arm as if he had forgotten he was not controlling Unit-01 anymore. She gasped as the arm came into view of the comm window, its sleeve dangling loosely just above the elbow. Her shock grew as she remembered the state of his Evangelion, and noticed just how bad the 'sunburn' on his face really was. She did not want to think about how badly the rest of his body was burned. She hung her head and closed her eyes as Shinji stared at where the rest of his arm used to be. Asuka heard him croak out, “Oh...so that's... why I'm stuck to...my seat,” before a soft thud made her look back up to see Shinji seemingly unconscious again.

“Shinji! You can't fall asleep now! Wake up!” she cried, hoping and praying that he was merely tired, and not...dead. Several tense seconds passed before she let out a sigh of relief as Shinji raised his head again. Asuka felt a bit of guilt crawl into her at the tired expression on his face. Shinji was extremely exhausted, that was clearly evident, but if he nodded off again would he ever wake up? She had to keep the boy lucid to reassure herself that Shinji wouldn't...go away again. Perhaps forever this time...

“What...what's with you Asuka? Why are you so...worried? You've...never been this concerned about...me before.” Shinji seemed to lack the strength to keep his head upright as it flopped down against his chest.

“W-what? Why wouldn't I be worried?!” Asuka stammered, a faint red tinge growing on her face. “You're a fellow pilot and you've been injured! Idiot, going off and being the Invincible Shinji Ikari again, and look where it got you!”

“Sor-” Shinji began, before a heated glare from Asuka stopped him in his apology. “I wasn't...here...for the fight, so...you're kind of telling off the...wrong person...Asuka.” He was having trouble keeping his eyes open, but he managed to set his head back against his seat. Grey-blue eyes locked onto ocean blue ones through the comm window, and the tinge on Asuka's face grew as the seconds passed. She broke the stare first, turning her head to the side and muttering something in German as she crossed her arms, rubbing the right one where she could still feel the pain of Unit-02's missing arm.

Shinji closed his eyes, a smile on his face. “If you don't...want me to fall asleep, then talk...to me Asuka. Give me...something...to focus on. Tell me a story...or even call me names. German... sounds like a...fun language to...insult someone with. Heh, Maybe...I'll even learn...something.”

Asuka scoffed softly, still staring at the wall of her entry plug. “You actually want to hear me prattle on about nothing? What, are you trying to be a dutiful boyfriend or some-” she stopped short as her brain caught up to her mouth, her whole face heating up in embarrassment. The smile on Shinji's face disappeared, and his burnt face turned slightly redder. His eyes shot open, and he started to stammer something before a new comm window opened with a frantic purple-haired woman on the other end.

“Shinji! You're okay! I just knew you’d make it!” Tears were streaming down Misato's face like twin waterfalls, but she didn't care. Her boy was alive, just like she had hoped. A fist was raised in victory, and the woman who was supposed to be the Supreme Commander of NERV yanked Maya out of her chair and started dancing. It wasn't a very good dance, mainly due to the fact that one partner was in heels while the other was surprised at the sudden interruption, but the good mood was infectious. The worry and fear that had been hanging thick in the air all day dissipated.

The medical convoy stopped near the three Evangelions. Asuka held Unit-01 steady as Rei knelt down to pull the lance out of the ground. A hiss of pain escaped Shinji's lips as the lance wobbled a bit when the points finally emerged from the ground.

Shiesse, sorry Shinji!”

“And... you keep...telling me not to... apologise.”

“Enough of the sass from you, Third! I'm tired and sore!”

“Sorry...”

“What did I just say?!”

Gently lowering Unit-01 sideways to the ground so the medical personnel could access the plug, they moved back and finally shut down their Evangelions. Asuka sighed in relief as the majority of the pain left her, but the tired redhead's body finally decided it had had enough, and she didn't have the energy to get out of the plug. Since the majority of the team was working on safely cutting Shinji out of his entry plug, Rei entered Unit-02's plug and slung Asuka's arm around her neck before helping her down to ground level. Asuka was too tired to complain about being helped by Wondergirl again, and simply mumbled incoherently as Rei lowered her gently to the ground in the shadow of Unit-02. Asuka quickly fell asleep leaning against her Unit's massive shoulder, and Rei sat next to her and observed the commotion around Unit-01.

After around ten minutes of waiting, Rei watched a large tank filled with thick red fluid get delivered to the work crew surrounding the entry plug. The command couch was slowly pulled out, the lance having been very carefully cut through after sedating the pilot. The seat was lowered into the tank as a breathing apparatus was fitted to Shinji's head. The tank was sealed and loaded onto a large truck that sped off towards the nearest elevator, which would take it down to the Geofront and to the best medical facility in the world. A trio of field medics made their way over to the two female pilots, and Asuka was grudgingly awoken and checked out, before being sedated and loaded onto a stretcher. Rei was examined and declared fit, and she got into the same ambulance, sitting next to Asuka's head.

She fell asleep a few minutes later, lulled by the drone of the motor, and the two girls dreamed. For once, Asuka's dreams were not filled with flying white harpies, but with memories of the past, and the mournful blue-eyed gaze of a fifteen year old boy.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:45 am

View Original PostMisterHalt wrote:Wish this thing would tell me what the character limit is...
The character limit (size of the database field) includes things like the BBCode in a post as well as the actual plain text, so it can only be approximate. I'll have to check the schema for the exact number.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Fanfiction”