How To Characterize Shinji As An Adult?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:52 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Ray: I'll look at yours tomorrow - sadly it's my bedtime right now.

I'd love to hear your opinion on my developments mr hodges.

@Xander

It's a pessimists/Bitter realists vision for Shinji post EoE. I mean, the kid ended the world when he was fourteen. That's not something you just shrug off, or are easily forgiven by others for.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:30 am

View Original PostRay wrote:It's a pessimists/Bitter realists vision for Shinji post EoE. I mean, the kid ended the world when he was fourteen. That's not something you just shrug off, or are easily forgiven by others for.

No, it gave it a chance to be reborn, nuance. Thanks to his actions those who want to come back can come back, and the mega Illuminati Death Cult that plagued and manipulated the world is out of commission for good, and maybe the climate was also repaired, that's one hell of an achievement for a traumatized 14 years old, no?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:49 pm

As we get older, are we even the same people we used to be? I know some people don't change at all, but for me at least it feels like I'm looking at someone else when I remember things from far back. From that, what is "out of character" for an adult Shinji? I mean, barring the absurd, are adult Shinji/Asuka/Rei even obligated to be the same characters?
I'm not trying to justify stupid shit like Shinji the mercenary, but it seems needlessly restrictive to focus on his characterization in NGE and try to extrapolate it 10 years into the future.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:58 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Maybe not bitter, but detached. Living by the force of momentum, without something to actually live for. No particular goal, and unwilling to find someone to live for, or form any form of attachment since it apparently never works for him.
There is also one point you could use. From detachment, there is just a step towards heartlessness. Shinji once couldn't bring himself to harm other pilot. But once he beging losing attachment to people, he may start to objectify them and himself and may no longer be afraid to "get his hands dirty" and off someone if he find it necessary or convinient.
The point would be for someone to notice that he is slipping into that territory and and drag him out before he desensitzes himself completly into a monster.

For some reason, that makes me think of Rust Cohle from "True Detective"
Quick, somebody make a EVA/True Detective cross-over! :lol:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

BobTheXenomorph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BobTheXenomorph » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:01 am

What about a Shinji whose living a rather monk-ish lifestyle surrounded by books and his cello. Farming on a rather large plot of land far removed from any major population center and quietly collecting some form of pension from his combat services. He's still quite hospitable, but at times can be bitter, sardonic, and cynical with the few guests he receives. He no longer wishes to die, but readily admits he has nothing to look forward to. He suffers from extreme PTSD and night terrors.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:14 pm

I can definitely see that, that Kaji's watermelon plants and the simple pleasure of making something grow, would be something Shinji would do to find some peace of mind.
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:47 pm

View Original PostBobTheXenomorph wrote:What about a Shinji whose living a rather monk-ish lifestyle surrounded by books and his cello. Farming on a rather large plot of land far removed from any major population center and quietly collecting some form of pension from his combat services. He's still quite hospitable, but at times can be bitter, sardonic, and cynical with the few guests he receives. He no longer wishes to die, but readily admits he has nothing to look forward to. He suffers from extreme PTSD and night terrors.

Well, having him take the hermit rout after all his experiences and cosmic mindrapes teaching him to get out of his bubble and meet and connect other people would kind of defeat the purpose, no?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:24 am

Sure. But he could lead a quiet life without being completely isolated (as I suggest in Afterwards).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BobTheXenomorph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BobTheXenomorph » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:52 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, having him take the hermit rout after all his experiences and cosmic mindrapes teaching him to get out of his bubble and meet and connect other people would kind of defeat the purpose, no?

I wouldn't consider the Shinji in that area an outright hermit. He still gets visitors, and for the most part treats them well. He just prefers a quiet life, and keeping to himself as much as possible. He has no problem dealing with others, but he knows that the majority of the population dislike him and as such, chooses to live apart from the masses. Also, perhaps the distance is enforced for his own "safety" by the government of the new world.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:38 am

Wait, are we talking about NGE Shinji or Rebuild Shinji here?

BobTheXenomorph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BobTheXenomorph » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:43 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wait, are we talking about NGE Shinji or Rebuild Shinji here?

Well, we can write for post-EoE Shinji pretty easily. But seeing as how we don't yet know how things will pan out in Final, it's difficult to portray post-Rebuild Shinji, IMO.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:38 pm

View Original PostBobTheXenomorph wrote:I wouldn't consider the Shinji in that area an outright hermit.

Well, that's what your initial post sounded like:
What about a Shinji whose living a rather monk-ish lifestyle surrounded by books and his cello. Farming on a rather large plot of land far removed from any major population center and quietly collecting some form of pension from his combat services.

That sounds like the guy that have his little hut at the flank of a mountain isolated from everyone and rarely having human contact.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Hey, why not? He could ultimately realise that people are hypocritical, backstabbing assholes - himself included - or believing that their understanding of greater good justifies all (you know, like people in game of thrones :P) and wanted nothing to do with them anymore :P
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

BobTheXenomorph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BobTheXenomorph » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:14 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, that's what your initial post sounded like:

That sounds like the guy that have his little hut at the flank of a mountain isolated from everyone and rarely having human contact.

When I wrote that, I was more picturing him as living without a TV or computer. Farming, reading, listening to radio. Writing letters by hand and giving them to a military liaison to send for him. Any supplies or farming tools he needs would be ordered for him by the liaison who stops by once a week. If approved, he can have visitors.

BobTheXenomorph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BobTheXenomorph » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:23 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Hey, why not? He could ultimately realise that people are hypocritical, backstabbing assholes - himself included - or believing that their understanding of greater good justifies all (you know, like people in game of thrones :P) and wanted nothing to do with them anymore :P

Actually, I think that whatever government is in place more than likely put Shinji there. Some people view him as a war hero, others see him as a monster. But the new world government can't be seen executing a 14 year old, so they quietly pushed him into early retirement and gave him a tutor who would teach him how to farm and live on his own. He is forbidden from marrying or ever having children, so he just exists on his farm. Shit. I think I might actually turn this into a full-blown fic.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:27 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Hey, why not? He could ultimately realise that people are hypocritical, backstabbing assholes - himself included - or believing that their understanding of greater good justifies all (you know, like people in game of thrones :P) and wanted nothing to do with them anymore :P

Your loving "view" of humanity never ceases to amaze us Stillborn.

While I can picture Shinji living a kind of secluded lifestyle, I don't imagine it to be out of spite to others or punishment to himself (well, maybe a bit if this was Rebuild), but Shinji's always been a bit of a recluse and an introvert. Some people just aren't that good with reading people, no matter how hard they try to learn, like me for instance. I've been interacting with people more than ever in my life both offline and online ever since I've gone to college, and there are still moments where I can't predict how people will react or how people really think of me at the end of the day.

But you know what? That's okay, because I'm happy with myself cause I know myself and what I can do, and I'm happy playing video games, reading, or watching a movie with myself, provided I'm not completely isolated and have someone to chat with online from time to time.

Shinji is a lot like that, who prefers the company of himself cause he's just not good with people, and that's okay. ^_^
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:48 pm

View Original PostBobTheXenomorph wrote:Actually, I think that whatever government is in place more than likely put Shinji there. Some people view him as a war hero, others see him as a monster. But the new world government can't be seen executing a 14 year old, so they quietly pushed him into early retirement and gave him a tutor who would teach him how to farm and live on his own. He is forbidden from marrying or ever having children, so he just exists on his farm. Shit. I think I might actually turn this into a full-blown fic.

Is that supposed to be a good ending for him? Just "existing" like that, tolerated by the people in charge of him, forbidden to move, meet the people he wants or raise a family, in short he's in jail for life, but for PR reasons ends in an isolated farm instead of a cell.

BobTheXenomorph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BobTheXenomorph » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Is that supposed to be a good ending for him? Just "existing" like that, tolerated by the people in charge of him, forbidden to move, meet the people he wants or raise a family, in short he's in jail for life, but for PR reasons ends in an isolated farm instead of a cell.

Of course it's not a "good" ending. And Shinji is less than pleased with it. He's rather bitter about it, honestly. But he understands that the world government has to try and balance both sides of public opinion regarding his existence. On the other hand, Shinji actually enjoys the quiet countryside and having the evenings to read and compose new pieces for the cello. Unfortunately for him, though while some of his compositions have been performed publicly, Shinji himself has never been allowed to attend a concert of his own music.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:18 pm

^
Well frankly, if it's what awaits for him after EoE, I think that he should had stayed inside Instrumentality.

outsane_geek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby outsane_geek » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:27 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
Well frankly, if it's what awaits for him after EoE, I think that he should had stayed inside Instrumentality.

It's not like he was guaranteed a happy ending popping out of the goo; he was just given the chance for one.
I have no idea how I got here.

Return to “Fanfiction”