Anything similar to Genocide?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Razeil100
Adam

Anything similar to Genocide?

•      
  •      

Postby Razeil100 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:32 am

I'm wondering if there are any fics that are similar to Rommel's Genocide.

By that I mean it has a mood similar to the show (not overly comedic and focuses on the characters first and foremost). I also think his way of writing the Shinij and Asuka pairing was incredibly true to the characters as they were in the show. Its a painful, bloody, tearful process and slow to develop. Its not some instant WAFF fest that disregards the past or mental traumas, and even after they finally become a couple, they stay in character, they don't shrug off their flaws and "heal through the power of love".

Basically, a fic that is an extension of the show, believably so and without the unfortunate additions found in many fanfictions (self-insert, tons of new pilots, wacky plots, Shinji getting a core/becoming more than human,crossovers, etc. You know what i'm talking about).

Any recommendations?
SPOILER: Show
And when do we get Genocide 15?

Sorry for any weird grammar/spelling issues, as its late and...yeah.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Anything similar to Genocide?

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:00 am

View Original PostRazeil100 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
And when do we get Genocide 15?

Wish I knew. Last time I saw it was already pretty close to finish - and that was almost a year ago. :/

As for recommendations, sorry, can't really think of any of the top of my head (aside maybe from Rommel's other, naughtier stories).

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Anything similar to Genocide?

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm

View Original PostRazeil100 wrote:without the unfortunate additions found in many fanfictions (self-insert, tons of new pilots, wacky plots, Shinji getting a core/becoming more than human,crossovers, etc. You know what i'm talking about).

Either me or the Nobody Dies dude just got zinged.
XD
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

Chaplain
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chaplain » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:35 am

a mood similar to the show (not overly comedic and focuses on the characters first and foremost). I also think his way of writing the Shinij and Asuka pairing was incredibly true to the characters as they were in the show. Its a painful, bloody, tearful process and slow to develop.

Higher Learning fits right in.
The mark of a truly superior pilot is the use of his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring use of his superior skill

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:49 am

View Original PostChaplain wrote:Higher Learning fits right in.

Ugh, strongly disagree. One of the most overrated fics in existence IMO.

I'd recommend Red Horseman's stuff; it's short, but fairly true to the show. Same with Fifth Horseman (no relation).

Random1377 is hit or miss, but his good stuff is spot on.

Fresh C's work is excellent; very IC and the guy groks subtlety.

Most of the above doesn't do anything with Evas or the like; it's just pure character development, sometimes in AUs and sometimes post-3I. It's all pretty good.

Also, I know it sounds odd, but if adult stories are your thing both Rommel and Rx7 (an alternate identity of Random1377) have stories with surprisingly good (and accurate) character development. The writing is solid, too.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:30 pm

I wouldn't really say it was close to finish. Not by my standards. As it is its pushing 150 pages with one or two scenes to go. Most of the important character stuff is done. I don't mind giving jimmy a look but that's about it since it seems people who preview never review.

And yes, go read my smut.

Razeil100
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Razeil100 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:08 pm

View Original PostRommel wrote:I wouldn't really say it was close to finish. Not by my standards. As it is its pushing 150 pages with one or two scenes to go. Most of the important character stuff is done. I don't mind giving jimmy a look but that's about it since it seems people who preview never review.

And yes, go read my smut.
Damn. You've written a book in that chapter alone.

Hope to see it soon.
And yes, i've read your smut.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Gendocide WOOT!
Leave Shinji alone

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Ugh, strongly disagree. One of the most overrated fics in existence IMO.

What? Overrated? I've seen worse.

To reject Higher Learning as being hyped up/"overrated" is like denying a piece of Evafic writing history. Flawed it may be (sometimes going off the borders of what is "acceptable" and "hewing to canon" in a fic, sometimes with spelling problems), nevertheless to me it's entertaining, and it's how an epic story is done properly with a definite end.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:53 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:To reject Higher Learning as being hyped up/"overrated" is like denying a piece of Evafic writing history.

True. It hasn't aged as well as some others from its day (keep in mind this and the following paragraph are my opinions), but it's still a good read to those new to the Evafiction game...or if you feel like a good, long stroll down memory lane.

But I think that's the point: nostalgia can occasionally cloud things. I found that the first couple of fics that got me into the whole mess, TOILI and Eva-R, haven't aged well either. They're not terrible, mind you, but they're less...I dunno, moving, than I recall. Then again, that was also almost nine years ago, too. The bar has been raised more than a few times.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:52 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:But I think that's the point: nostalgia can occasionally cloud things. I found that the first couple of fics that got me into the whole mess, TOILI and Eva-R, haven't aged well either. They're not terrible, mind you, but they're less...I dunno, moving, than I recall. Then again, that was also almost nine years ago, too. The bar has been raised more than a few times.

What's TOILI?
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:10 am

:facepalm:

You've been an Eva fan this long without even hearing of it? Frankly, I'm amazed.

Here you go, one of the original epic-length 'triangle' fics. Don't expect it to be as good as it was. Like I said, the passage of time has a way of doing that.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote::facepalm:

You've been an Eva fan this long without even hearing of it? Frankly, I'm amazed.

Here you go, one of the original epic-length 'triangle' fics. Don't expect it to be as good as it was. Like I said, the passage of time has a way of doing that.

I've heard of it, I just didn't catch the acronym. I remember trying to read it a couple of times and mostly losing interest. My own fault for starting with Orchestrating the Silence, I guess.

No need for the wayback machine, btw: fanfiction.net has it.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:53 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I've heard of it, I just didn't catch the acronym. I remember trying to read it a couple of times and mostly losing interest. My own fault for starting with Orchestrating the Silence, I guess.

Yeah, sometimes you end up setting the curve higher without knowing. Only real reason I still remember it is because of that old expression, "you never forget your first".

No need for the wayback machine, btw: fanfiction.net has it.

I just used some basic Google-fu. Didn't know FFN had it, though.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:13 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:True. It hasn't aged as well as some others from its day (keep in mind this and the following paragraph are my opinions), but it's still a good read to those new to the Evafiction game...or if you feel like a good, long stroll down memory lane.

I completely agree. True, they aren't the best of fanfics, but they do have their mark that helps shape our interests in evangelion. To me, fanfics like Higher Learning, Children of an Elder God, and many others helped me get further into the mold of Evangelion, thus letting me appreciate it more for what it is. :) Even though we may encounter better fanfics in the future, we should still hold a special place for these fanfics in our hearts. They exist to play their parts in future generations of fanfics, just like how Original series did for Rebuild.

(I haven't read Eva-R or The One I Love Is though, so I might give them a look. :) )
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Razeil100
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Razeil100 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Sure is on topic.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Return to “Fanfiction”