NGE Abridged

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

NGE Abridged

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 pm

I feel like sharing a dream today, so I shall! Have any of you guys heard of Dragonball Z Abridged? I wonder what would happen if someone made something like that for Neon Genesis Evangelion.. I wouldn't be sure it would be a huge hit, but it be damn hilarious and probably fun making. Just puttin' this out there.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: NGE Abridged

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I feel like sharing a dream today, so I shall! Have any of you guys heard of Dragonball Z Abridged? I wonder what would happen if someone made something like that for Neon Genesis Evangelion.. I wouldn't be sure it would be a huge hit, but it be damn hilarious and probably fun making. Just puttin' this out there.

It's been done several times over the years. There were two large ones, one for the series, and one for 1.0. Both were removed from YouTube recently.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Damn, that sucks. I bet they have DL links for them. Anyone who finds them gets thess cookies (unless it has suggestive content, in which don't upload):

SPOILER: Show
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Think of any anime series you've ever seen. There are probably already five different Abridged parodies of it on Youtube. ;)
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:31 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Damn, that sucks. I bet they have DL links for them.

Nope. Looked.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: NGE Abridged

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:39 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:It's been done several times over the years. There were two large ones, one for the series, and one for 1.0. Both were removed from YouTube recently.

Were they any good?
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Meh, one was okay (at least enough to make me snicker now and then) but one was pretty awful from what I recall.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Damn, no links. Would you think that the people who made the abridged series had a website? I bet they would of uploaded it somewhere else, and embedded on the site. I ain't losing hope!
The Moats of Quotes

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:08 pm

RebornZombie has his episodes up on Youtube.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks bro. :asuka_happy:
The Moats of Quotes

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Now I know the following isn't what the original poster wanted, but, yes, as mentioned, there has been a few attempts at it in the past, and quite frankly, they're nothing special. Speaking as an individual watcher who watches a few abridged series myself for years, I have some theories on my own on why there hasn't been a good NGE Abridged yet. The main one is this...

The approach is all wrong. To be honest, the template Little Kuriboh created (that is, it's a specific form of parodies if we are to believe his sayings), along with the refinements TFS did with DBZ Abridged, does not work with the content Evangelion brought to us. What makes abridged series like DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh (despite my issues with it) work is not only because of the ignorance their audience has to the franchise with their worship to these people (only fools would tell you LK's side videos has any amount of sincere humor in them), but because the original material is so inanely meandering, who would honestly go waste the time to watch 200 plus episodes when someone humorously told you episodes in less amounts of time? Evangelion is the opposite; it's short, it's to the point, and it is a show that you have to dig hard and deep to find anything substantial to abridge; not the case with other shows. Giving Rei a Cookie Monster voice, or making inorganic pop culture jokes is not the direction I feel we should be heading.

No, I feel like if anyone is going to do NGE Abridged property and give it justice, then it's time for a change. hbi2k, a fellow abridger, once said that if abridged series is going to go past the fad state of mind, people need to branch out to other territories if the 'fad' is going anywhere, and I agree 100 percent with this thinking. With this thinking, we need a NGE Abridged series that does not resort to cheap laughs in order to justice its' existence. We need a series that doesn't rely on gimmicky one-dimensional characters for the amusement of college students, but instead on characters that can tell 7 to 12 minutes of story that audiences of all ages could enjoy and love among the likes of Daffy Duck, Mickey Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, and the like. But above all else, we need a series that not only tell the series in a limited amount of time efficiently, but it can also leave an huge impact to that audience, just like the folks who were deeply moved by the actual show itself. That way, not only will it be possible to create an Abridged Series that can explore new grounds, but it can go beyond the realms of comedy and can instead touch and inspire a generation to come, just like the intentions of the original show. After all, abridging is simply "To cut short; curtail", and I think it's time to explore new grounds and take chances of expanding what abridged series are, instead of finding jokes that makes all your buddies laugh at 3 in the morning.

...am I'm slowly becoming the next Rudy?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Fanfiction”