From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Nobody Dies and Wreckage spring to mind.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Not to toot my own horn, but I like to think I did, too.

Then again, most of the characters in that story have deviated WILDLY from their origins, so...meh....
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:In context of this story, what if Kyoko is a talented soldier who was left holding the bag for her and Asuka due to a deadbeat dad? He leaves because he can't stand being married to a soldier who seems to put her career first (something that is as old as the profession of soldiering). Asuka thinks this is something she did wrong, which isn't helped by Kyoko juggling soldiering with raising a daughter. They drift apart.

Replace "soldier" with "scientist" here and I'm with you. All of the supplemental material paints Kyoko as a scientist par excellence, so I'm not sure why you're make her a soldier.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:51 pm

I was following an inference in an earlier posting on this thread.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:51 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:"Kyoko is/was a bitch" is one of those fanon things whose origin I can't understand. Kyoko pre-accident is a totally blank slate. For all we know she adored Asuka and devoted every waking moment outside her job to her daughter and husband.

Nope. Literally the only thing we're told about Kyoko is "She always neglected her daughter over her work." (That, and a random funeral visitor calling her "the experiment's strongest proponent". )

Given the situation, he might've been lying, but it's literally the only thing we're given, no counterpoint, nothing like that "happy Yui photograph" from ep 16 to suggest there were ever happy times.
It makes a lot of sense that Asuka's attention-starved personality ("Don't ignore me, mommy! Please look at me!") would have been in the making even before the experiment went awry and exaggerated it to metaphorical extremes, with Kyoko's previous neglect influencing how little Asuka interpreted/percieved the whole going nuts event - as yet more ignoring.

She can't have completely not cared about Asuka since we have this whole sequence in EoE (also, complete monsters are boring as fuck) but we should be aware that what we see in eva 02 isn't necesserily representative/only the "best" parts of her regular self.

Also, there's also the reasonable interpolation that Asuka's mom would... well, resemble Asuka in terms of wiring, who was also a very overly ambitious and putting her 'career' as a pilot before everyone in her life.

So she probably technically loved Asuka just as Asuka technically cares about her flatmates, or like Gendo and Misato's old man weren't completely apathetic about their offspring, probably more a lack of skill than good will.

It has been pointed out that working on a project to proserve humanity might be Kyoko's way of protecting her daughter, but she really Is a blank slate in that respect - She could be anything from a sort of anti-heroine striving to protect her kid in the only way she knows how to (mirroring Yui, in a way) or simply out for scientific prestige and attention, possibly having similar flaws issues to her daughter.

You've got a lot of free wiggling room there, personality wise, but 3D human being is definitely the way to go... 3D human being is always the way to go, but "perfect saintly devoted mother" is simply not on the menu.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:54 pm

As I pointed out earlier, when children are ignored or neglected, or things go wrong with the adults around them, they perceive this as somehow being their fault. Asuka being attention-starved would definitely be a direct response to her mother ignoring her, thinking she wasn't doing the right things to get attention.

This tends to happen with kids who get ignored by parents (even well-meaning parents who are just 'too busy.')
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:She can't have completely not cared about Asuka since we have this whole sequence in EoE (also, complete monsters are boring as fuck) but we should be aware that what we see in eva 02 isn't necesserily representative/only the "best" parts of her regular self.

True. It's entirely possible that she was the workaholic sort who thought, like many others in the main cast, that the ends would ultimately justify the means. Yes, she loved her daughter dearly, but her work was important! Everything would work out in the end, just you wait!

And in the meantime Asuka suffers, because she's, like, five and she doesn't understand (not that anyone would, mind).

Also, there's also the reasonable interpolation that Asuka's mom would... well, resemble Asuka in terms of wiring, who was also a very overly ambitious and putting her 'career' as a pilot before everyone in her life.

I'm not sure she did. I mean, do we ever see her obsessing over being a pilot? Putting in extra hours to become better at her job? Going the extra mile? Nope. She's in it for the status, nothing more. I don't think she thought far enough ahead to become the obsessive Kyoko seems to have been in that regard.

It has been pointed out that working on a project to proserve humanity might be Kyoko's way of protecting her daughter, but she really Is a blank slate in that respect - She could be anything from a sort of anti-heroine striving to protect her kid in the only way she knows how to (mirroring Yui, in a way) or simply out for scientific prestige and attention, possibly having similar flaws issues to her daughter.

I don't think it's something that banal, if only because none of the cast seem to have such base motivations.

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:This tends to happen with kids who get ignored by parents (even well-meaning parents who are just 'too busy.')

That's Kyoko in a nutshell, IMO.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Well, this is the fanfic thread, so I can say that Kyoko-as-workaholic is one of those places where Eva lays it on a little thick and there's no reason not to change it.

An opportunity was missed there anyway. A loving Kyoko broken by the experiment is infinitely more sad.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:46 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Well, this is the fanfic thread, so I can say that Kyoko-as-workaholic is one of those places where Eva lays it on a little thick and there's no reason not to change it.

An opportunity was missed there anyway. A loving Kyoko broken by the experiment is infinitely more sad.

But that's what happened . . .

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Which part? Kendrix just posted a textual reference that paints her as a neglectful workaholic and I'm saying it's cool to ignore that to tell a more interesting story.

Anyway, the big thing is that people tend to lazily paint Kyoko as an older Asuka.
the prophecy is true

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Which part? Kendrix just posted a textual reference that paints her as a neglectful workaholic and I'm saying it's cool to ignore that to tell a more interesting story.

Anyway, the big thing is that people tend to lazily paint Kyoko as an older Asuka.

Loving Kyoko broken by experiment. Although workaholic might have a hand in there as well, it all amounts to the same thing in the end . . .

And same as Asuka? Weird. I've never seen her that way. Like, ever.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:56 pm

They portray her that way in fanfics. It tends to be a lazier go-to way of characterizing Kyoko (since so little of her is actually shown in the series). I think a lot of fan fic writers (especially new ones) get jumpy at the idea of creating what is essentially an OC.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Note that I say all this while my one in depth portrayal of her is pretty bitchy.
the prophecy is true

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:00 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:They portray her that way in fanfics. It tends to be a lazier go-to way of characterizing Kyoko (since so little of her is actually shown in the series). I think a lot of fan fic writers (especially new ones) get jumpy at the idea of creating what is essentially an OC.

I've only ever seen Kyoko show up once or twice, and those were in an Random1377 fic and Throne of Bayonets. So, I guess my experience is limited.

Also ISRP, but that surely doesn't count.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Which is a shame, because she (and all of the adults) could be so interesting to look at. It's easy to focus on the kids, as they are the focus of the show. But that ground has been covered. A lot.

What about Gendo? Or Yui? Or, hell, even Keel (what made him what he is)?

I'd love to see a good, solid story about Kyoko and Asuka.

...that's going on my 'to-do' list.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 pm

The adults definitely need more focus.

I had a blast writing a complete backstory for Keel in Age of Marvels. [/spoiler]
the prophecy is true

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm

*takes notes*

So people really are interested in the adults. That's one worry off my shoulders.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Which is a shame, because she (and all of the adults) could be so interesting to look at. It's easy to focus on the kids, as they are the focus of the show. But that ground has been covered. A lot.

What about Gendo? Or Yui? Or, hell, even Keel (what made him what he is)?

I'd love to see a good, solid story about Kyoko and Asuka.

...that's going on my 'to-do' list.

Post-3I, dude. That's where it's at.

Yes, I know I should put my money where my mouth is. Patience, padawans.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Possible title: The Incredible Shinji or The Tokyo-3 Project

Summary: "You won't like me when I'm in existential despair!" Shinji Ikari is the motherfucking Hulk. The brilliant, but frail and lonely, Dr. Ikari invents the Evangelion bomb, an experimental upgrade to the N2 bomb, to use in the fight against the monstrous angels. But the Eva-bomb ultimately transforms Shinji into a rampaging beast.

The first angel arrives, creating the perfect opportunity to launch the weapon. But Shinji sees a blue-haired woman standing in the city ruins below his bomb-guarded observation site. Shinji dashes out to save her. But when he gets there, the girl has disappeared. Confused, Shinji stands there like a fool while the Eva-bomb goes off. The blast should have killed him. But it only makes him the strongest one of all! Shinji SMASH!

After the Eva-bomb creature tears the angel apart, the NERV personnel move in, only to find Dr. Ikari passed out. Naked save for his inexplicably purple, torn-up pants, Shinji is taken in, detained with chains that will set off N2 mines if he breaks them. Dr. Asuka Langley Soryu arrives to study the subject, looking for a cure. But Ritsuko Akagi, serving Gendo Ikari and, unbeknownst to her, the secret Seele society, is secretly using her research to develop a mass production serum. It is to be first used on Rei Ayanami. And then, if it works, all the other Rei Ayanamis!

Notes: I had fun coming up with this.
Last edited by StarShaper7 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:*takes notes*

So people really are interested in the adults. That's one worry off my shoulders.

Outside of Gendo, Yui, and to a lesser degree Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki, they're all a blank slate but with tantalizing hints at who they might be.

Except Aoba. Fuck him.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Fanfiction”