[Film] Black Swan

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The-Happy-Go-Lucky-Wacko
Adam

[Film] Black Swan

•      
  •      

Postby The-Happy-Go-Lucky-Wacko » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 pm

Anybody see the new trailer? Looks mighty impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bs

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Is the soundtrack by Thom Yorke?
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:36 pm

It could be an interesting mindtrip if the performances and story hold together. Also, the soundtrack is apparently by Clint Mansell. Yes, that Clint Mansell...
Voluntary Illusion.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:14 am

Like I said in another thread on another board, Aronofsky has earned my willingness to see any film he makes. Even his failures are interesting, but The Fountain proved to be one of my favorite films of the last 10 years.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:20 am

I've been eagerly awaiting this film since it promised hot Mila Kunis on Natalie Portman action. Wait, that's not the reason at all. Uhhhh, in any case, this trailer has me excited. (Not in THAT way.) It looks better than I thought. Part of me thinks it gives too much away, but part of me was blown away. (Again, not in THAT way.) I love paranoia and bodily transformation. It turns my crank MUCH harder than oily naked, beautiful women and their hot, oily naked woman beautiful lesbian passionate make-out feminine oil sex. Ooooh yes.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:28 am

You're not turning straight on us, are ya Muggy?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:37 am

A wild sexual conflict appeared!
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:49 am

Looks creepy as hell. Since Clint Mansell is behind the soundtrack, it's bound to be something spectacular.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Gorgeous and disturbing. This is my favorite Aronofsky film, hands down. I don't know how to write a review that does justice to this film. This is real horror.

9.5/10

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:33 pm

love to check this out when it starts playing here (and that's if it will)
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Just watched the trailer..

Was Portman's character turning into a...Haibane?

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:18 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Just watched the trailer..

Was Portman's character turning into a...Haibane?
LOL

No... but I can see how one could make that connection.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:38 pm

I really want to see this movie since I'm a fan of Aronofsky's work but the theatre that I work at is not playing this movie. It looks like I have to wait for it on DVD now.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Just saw it second time after several months (invited to a screening a while back) and it gets even better the second time!

It's odd to say but this is Aronofsky's most entertaining film! It's dark and very unsettling at times but is also tons of fun!

And don't wait for DVD. It's playing in 19 U.S. cities at the moment but DO NOT WORRY folks, the film expands Nationwide to over a thousand screens on December 22.

Hell, you could pull one hell of a double feature with The Coen Brother's TRUE GRIT 2010.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:19 am

Brilliant. Absolutely fucking brilliant.

9.5/10 as well.

It reminds me of why I go to the cinema again.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:16 pm

I've been thinking about Black Swan since I saw it. Thinking about it, but also just visualizing and hearing indelible moments from the film playing in my mind like the clips on the movie's official site. If I start dreaming that dark stuff then I'll need help.

The way I've come to think is that Black Swan is an emotional more than an intellectual movie. I've seen some complaints that the movie is not clever enough, that it's too predictable in its conclusion. On the contrary, Black Swan was designed to evoke the feeling of seeing a ballet, moreso than it was to out-twist M. Night. When seeing a ballet or opera, you benefit by knowing the plot already – so they print the synopsis in the booklet to read before the performance begins. This frees you to revel in the movement, shapes, patterns, the visceral emotional reaction, the aesthetics, without concern for for how it is all going to turn out.

Black Swan builds on that tradition well, building off the romantic tragedy of Swan Lake while subverting it in so many ways. Aronofsky doesn't just give us a ballet on screen, which would feel like a PBS pledge-drive. Instead he uses the simple tale of Swan Lake to craft a Polanski- and Argento-inspired psychological thriller that revels the visceral rather than the cerebral – the way any good ballet should.

I can see why some critics are struggling to categorize this movie and resort to calling it a melodrama. Yes, it wrings emotion from its audience – primarily repulsion and attraction – through exaggerated plot, characters, and music, but I think Black Swan is far too horrific and fantastical to be compared to Sirk or Steel Magnolias. It treats its audience much like Nina did he new pointe shoes. Black Swan, in that way, has more in common with Pan's Labyrinth than it does The Red Shoes.

Appreciating Black Swan is like appreciating modern art, which is often made not to give one an intellectual boner, but to achieve a visceral reaction that resists rational explanation. If anything, a need to scratch that "what does it all mean?" itch can actually cause some people to miss the impact of a piece. I think there is plenty to contemplate, and very clearly defined, and universal, themes that were well-integrated. One could, and should, get all intellectual about Black Swan, but I think it's equally important to let go and just experience it.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:15 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:And don't wait for DVD. It's playing in 19 U.S. cities at the moment but DO NOT WORRY folks, the film expands Nationwide to over a thousand screens on December 22.

WTF? It's not out in UK and Ireland until febuary? That's wierd. Really looking forward to seeing this. Mila Kunis is just one of those actresses you could just stare at, memorised.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:13 am

View Original Postskikes wrote:WTF? It's not out in UK and Ireland until febuary?
Opens 21-Jan at the local Picturehouse cinema -- you might need to look out whatever you might have in the way of arthouse locally.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:09 am

just saw it

excellent movie. highly recommended.
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 am

This is pretty much what all my daydreams look like. Now that you're all raving about it I have to go. Now I just have to convince someone to see a ballet horror mindfuck with me.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Return to “Film and Video”