New Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 am

Author of such erotic classics as David Copperdick and A Tale of Two Titties

Edited :smirk: Thanks for pointing it out

What's peoples opinions on the online Doctor Who game that went up for download last week?

I thought it was pretty good for something thats free. Granted it was a tad easy but fun nevertheless. Just makes me want a PROPER Doctor Who game even more though X D
The main worry I have is that all the other episodes will just follow the same format and it'll be really dull. = /

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 pm

View Original PostDark doom wrote:the latter is more agrresisve.

Actually shot off a gun in the one with the Angels. Very undoctorlike.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:16 am

View Original Postplanet news wrote:Actually shot off a gun in the one with the Angels. Very undoctorlike.

The gun wasn't used offensively, he just used it to essentially burst a balloon.

Many of the previous doctors have been willing to take up arms when necessary, I know the 4th and 5th have, 9th picked up a massive laser gun in 'Dalek', but never used it. The no guns policy was mainly a 10th trait, although, to be fair, that never stopped him killing something when he needed to. Saying that, the no weapons thing seems to have bled through into 11 ("That's not how I do things," "You're better than this, I'm asking nicely, put them away.") Has 11 killed anyone yet? He let the angels get wiped from existence, but I don't think he's killed anything yet.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 pm

View Original Postmaster_lloyd wrote:The gun wasn't used offensively, he just used it to essentially burst a balloon.

Many of the previous doctors have been willing to take up arms when necessary, I know the 4th and 5th have, 9th picked up a massive laser gun in 'Dalek', but never used it. The no guns policy was mainly a 10th trait, although, to be fair, that never stopped him killing something when he needed to. Saying that, the no weapons thing seems to have bled through into 11 ("That's not how I do things," "You're better than this, I'm asking nicely, put them away.") Has 11 killed anyone yet? He let the angels get wiped from existence, but I don't think he's killed anything yet.

The Sixth Doctor didn't like firearms, either. Neither did the Seventh.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:56 am

The Lodger was an average episode with some nice touches (such as "Give me a shout if you bring a girlfriend/boyfriend back" "Yes I will shout, something like I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS!!!")

So, any thoughts on what's in the Pandorica?

This is my guess:
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://img638.imageshack.us/i/1276514975630.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Some additional New-Who based fun:
[URL=http://img69.imageshack.us/i/1276680052456.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:56 am

LOOK AT ME, I'M A TARGET!

I feel like this series has been hitting some home runs with the last few episodes; my only real complaint is that many of these stories felt rushed, and could have easily filled two hours. Matt Smith is doing a much better job of playing an eccentric alien who happens to like humans than David Tennant ever did. By the way, did you know that Matt Smith was a serious footballer until he injured his back several years ago?

So, I'm very curious to hear predictions about the upcoming finale. The only two outs that I can see at this point are a Dallas ending ("it was all a dream"), or a situation in which the Doctor becomes the creator of the universe.

Or he ends up on a beach, strangling Amy Pond. (And I can't be the only one who thinks Amy's had a bit in common with Asuka).

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:20 am

View Original PostSharaz Destler wrote:The Sixth Doctor didn't like firearms, either. Neither did the Seventh.

Well if he didn't like them before I doubt being shot helped much...

This series hasn't really had a bad episode, I mean 'the Lodger', 'Victory of the Daleks', and 'Vampires in Venice' were a bit daft, but there were no real stinkers.

I'm curious how Moffat's going to get the Doctor out of the Pandorica and save the universe, there's been a lot of speculation about him traveling back into previous episodes for some reason, and we know from pictures that young Amy is involved somehow, mind you some (cynical) people are saying Moffat will pull a RTD-style Deus Ex Machina reset button ending, but I have more faith in him than that. All I know is I'll be there, 6:05 on the dot Saturday, watching it.
Eva Facts:

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:47 pm

I spent the previous two days watching the entirety of the series (including the ending), but for the sake of loyal TV viewers whose regions haven't screened them yet I'll only post spoilers if someone asks about it.

I think Moffat is a great writer...but I can't help but feel the HSQ has dropped significantly since R.T.D.'s run...to be more precise, amongst other things, I feel Moffat doesn't let things sink in properly. There's rarely a moment to properly convey the gravity of the situation, which in turn robs it of it's dramatic impact.

All in all, I thought 'Cracks in time' was not as well executed as 'Bad Wolf', 'Torchwood' or 'Knock Four Times', but better than 'You Are (Not) Alone' and about on par with 'Doctor-Donna'.

Overall, I have high hopes for 'Silence is Coming'...considering a lot of episodes this season have dealt with genocide, extinction, and 'Last of Their Kind' tropes, I suspect it will align with that kind of thing...

Meanwhile, really want Jenny to come back. I'd also like someone to answer the question of just what happened to Ace. Did she become a Time Lady like originally intended? Did she die in the war? Is she still out there somewhere?
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:07 am

The ending was a bit anticlimactic and involved even more hand-waving than usual, but I feel almost as if this season's story arc was done more out of obligation than anything else. I would much rather see two or three very tight arcs per season than what we've had since 2005. Even something like the Key to Time premise would be better.

Then again, I think River Song's involvement in the story has been done really well, and I'm looking forward to the next season.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:42 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:The ending was a bit anticlimactic and involved even more hand-waving than usual

Agreed, it seemed like there was a constant stream of exposition just to explain why the main characters were seemingly the only people left in existence. The reset button device was used (again) but it didn't bother me too much.

I did however enjoy the episode, and will be looking forward to the Xmas Special, although I hope it isn't a rehash of Voyage of the Damned (Orient Express in space sounds a bit daft).
Eva Facts:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:26 am

View Original Postmaster_lloyd wrote:(Orient Express in space sounds a bit daft)

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Galaxy_Express_999

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:18 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEOrsJkijE

Behold the 'Ghost of Xmas Past'.
Eva Facts:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:38 pm

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:21 pm

MY GOD. It all makes sense now!
Eva Facts:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Watching this year's Christmas Special, I couldn't help but reflect on how far the writing has come since David Tennant entered to spinning Christmas trees of death. Neil Gaiman is writing an episode for the upcoming season. Can't wait.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:56 pm

A Christmas Carol really demonstrated that the Doctor still seems to consider himself 'A Time Lord, Victorious'. Rode causality bareback long and hard, even having another character interact with themself.

Of particular note is that last time the latter happened, space monkeys showed up to eat the paradox.

I can see from a creative standpoint how Moffat would feel RTD's rules too constraining, but I would at least like to see him address this.
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:04 pm

View Original PostTeague wrote:I can see from a creative standpoint how Moffat would feel RTD's rules too constraining, but I would at least like to see him address this.

From what I remember the Doctor's only supposed to avoid "fixed points in time", the rest of it he can fuck around with as much as he pleases. Kazran's life must have been particularly wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey. Also Moffat has a habit of stretching the laws of time-travel to near breaking point (which is why we all love him).

I really enjoyed the episode; bonkers, cliche and far too cheesy, perfect for Xmas day, although I doubt that sort of thing would go down too well all year round. The dialogue was brilliant, and I loved the part where the Doctor jumped into the home movie, it was like 'Blink' all over again.

Also have to say Murray Gold's new Xmas Carol was epic, and apparently according to Confidential he knocked it out in the space of a few days.
Eva Facts:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:39 pm

ATTENTION:

Nicholas Courtney RIP 1929-2011

That is all.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 pm

I shall do as the Brigadier would have, and keep a stiff upper lip...

[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Return to “Film and Video”