Whole Company Dedicated to Live Action Adaptations of Anime

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:55 pm

I think they should go with more realistic :hides in preparation for the angry mob of fans who think that would ruin it:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:05 pm

SPOILER: Show
A live action Eva film. Let's evaluate this for a minute:

We'll cast a child actor to play Shinji (or whatever his L.A. California counterpart would be named). I'm sure one of the Jonas Brothers could do it. The youngest already did a voice in Ponyo, so he's got "anime experience" (whatever that means). Or one of the older siblings could do that. And Asuka could be played by Miley Cyrus, 'cuz their both bitches! ("Look at me!") And that creepy girl from Orphan could play Rei (or whoever). Now we'll put the teenagers in "plug suits" and stick them in giant robot thingies.

Ok. Now, it's (finally) starting to look (somewhat like a) cool (idea).

It still seems a little unrealistic. I mean, kids? Saving the world? SOMEBODY CALL DISNEY!

Maybe we could solve this by casting adults to pilot the giant robot thingies. That sounds like it could work. At least people won't expect Disney. So, instead of a 13 or 14 year old girl whining, we could pay Kristen Dunst to cry: "A boy and a girl should never live together after the age of seven!" and dance around on TWISTER mats.

Yeah, that'll (never) work.

We kinda like the idea of a "child sacrifice" to start 3rd Impact, anyway. So...

Oh, darn! 3rd Impact! What'll we do there? We should probably have an ending that isn't quite so, how do you say? "Disgusting."

Well, we could start by changing the reasons for Rei's existence. Maybe she could be a happy, ordinary girl who shows up to school one day. That should give us some room to come up with a more obviously happy ending. We wouldn't have that whole 3rd Impact thing. And on the day Rei arrives, she should bump into Shinji on her way to school. And Asuka should be jealous of Rei. And...

Wait, I feel like that's been done before.

Well, then let's take out the child cast all together. They're too much trouble.

Now we're left with the NERV and SEELE cast. And what are they doing? Making Evas!

Wait. Who' piloting them?

Oh, yeah...

And now I've just removed everything that made Neon Genesis Evangelion cool. Happy viewing!

I don't see why we need a whole friggin' company for Live Action Anime films. And I don't see why stories that work best in animated form should be shoe-horned into a live action situation.

I just... don't see it.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:59 am

Themaninblack wrote:I don't know what it is about nerds having their favorite products shipped to the silver screen and them becoming that homeless man on the street that has the mis spelled cardboard sign that says "REPENT THE END IS NEAR"
It's funny because the only thing misspelled there is the word "misspelled".

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:A live action Eva film. Let's evaluate this for a minute
NO WE WILL NOT EVALUATE THIS FOR A MINUTE WE ALREADY HAVE COUNTLESS THREADS FOR EVALUATING IT DON'T DO IT HERE YOU'LL RUIN EVERYTHING AAAAAAAAAAAH!

Now I really want to see a James Cameron Burst Angel movie.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:02 am

NAveryW wrote:
FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:A live action Eva film. Let's evaluate this for a minute
NO WE WILL NOT EVALUATE THIS FOR A MINUTE WE ALREADY HAVE COUNTLESS THREADS FOR EVALUATING IT DON'T DO IT HERE YOU'LL RUIN EVERYTHING AAAAAAAAAAAH!

Hey, all I'm saying is that
FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I don't see why we need a whole friggin' company for Live Action Anime films. And I don't see why stories that work best in animated form should be shoe-horned into a live action situation.
I mean, I honestly don't see anything gained in repeating the same story in a medium that it wasn't created for.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:28 am

NAveryW wrote:Now I really want to see a James Cameron Burn Up movie.

Fixed?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 am

There is a very, very small chance that a live action adaptions of Anime managed to pass with at least being okay.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:15 pm

The desire for a Live Action Evangelion strictly stems from fan greed. They just want more. It's not at all needed and frankly we should be happy enough with Rebuild. It's what Live Action Eva would be (though I can imagine the Live Action being even more tame and mainstream) but at least it stays in the proper medium and features characters that look like the classic ones.

Anno's line "Evangelion is a story that repeats" concerns human folly and is not a signal for "Constantly Redoing the work". It's not an ongoing universe like Batman that needs a new variation every other decade or so (as great as Christopher Nolan's Batman world is you know within the next 20 years another version of Batman vs. The Joker is going to be made. It's inevitable). Fan greed just leads us to shit like Alien Vs Predator (because you know, there's a slight chance this stupid sounding project MIGHT be cool), etc etc.

Nah. Keep Eva in the animated world and if you want to make a kickass live action Sci-Fi film that is EvaEsque, then go for it!

A live action sci-fi epic INSPIRED by Evangelion? THAT I'd love to see. You can approach with a fresh mind. Treat it as a new creation.

A live action sci-fi epic BASED off Evangelion? I'd just sit there, marvel at pretty pictures and realize this exact story has already been done before much better for 1,000 the cost. Something we're already seeing Rebuild get shit for.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:03 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:The desire for a Live Action Evangelion strictly stems from fan greed.

Greed can also be the reason for not wanting one. Fact is, you're not gonna convince anyone otherwise.

And someone answer this for me... How come it's ok to adapt a novel, yet when you go for a comic and manga, you instantly get shitted on?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:49 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:as great as Christopher Nolan's Batman world is you know within the next 20 years another version of Batman vs. The Joker is going to be made. It's inevitable.

I'd give it 10 years. We're impatient as an audience.

Gendo'sPapa wrote: Eva in the animated world and if you want to make a kickass live action Sci-Fi film that is EvaEsque, then go for it!

A live action sci-fi epic INSPIRED by Evangelion? THAT I'd love to see. You can approach with a fresh mind. Treat it as a new creation.
I'd love to be the man responsible for that.

backseatjesus wrote:And someone answer this for me... How come it's ok to adapt a novel, yet when you go for a comic and manga, you instantly get shitted on?
No. It's not always OK.

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 am

And someone answer this for me... How come it's ok to adapt a novel, yet when you go for a comic and manga, you instantly get shitted on?

Oh, please. The blanket statement "no-one has a problem with adaptations of novels" is a nonsense.

Kubrick's Barry Lyndon is brilliant; Guy Ritchie's Holmes is shaping up to look like the enormous sloppy turd of someone who didn't even enjoy Conan Doyle's work to begin with. Good adaptations are good; bad adaptations are bad. When it looks like there is a good chance that an adaptation will be great, fans get excited; when there are innumerable factors pointing towards the chances of a pretty lousy adaptation, fans get annoyed. My mother is in love with Lewis Carroll's original Alice in Wonderland books, but she thinks that just about any adaptation she has seen has been lame, and that the chances are that she will intensely dislike the upcoming Tim Burton Alice thing. Hence, she does not think that it's "always okay" to adapt novels. Only last week my English Lit lecturer was complaining about what he perceives as the low quality of most BBC Jane Austen adaptations. To paraphrase, he said that whenever he reads in the Radio Times that there's going to be a new Austen adaptation shown on Sunday night, he groans because he can already tell exactly what it will be like (ie. bad) - he can already tell exactly how each actor and actress will deliver each line, and so on, and then he sees it, confirms his suspicions, gets mildly annoyed, and then takes comfort in the fact that Austen has an eternal place in the canon whereas this shoddy adaptation will be forgotten by the middle of next week. He certainly doesn't think it's "always okay" to adapt novels. The divide you suggest just doesn't exist.

Neither of them think, I would imagine, that good adaptations of those works are logically impossible - they just have pretty solid reasons for not expecting much. Similarly, I might not yet have seen Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes... "adaptation", but I feel that I have pretty reasonable evidence to go on when I say that it's likely to be a lousy adaptation.

Similarly, it's not that a half-decent LAEM is necessarily a logical impossibility (although certain things just work better in animation - Live Action Spirited Away, anyone? Didn't think so); that it is in principle impossible for one to exist. It's that there are obviously a great many factors which increase the likelihood that it would be a lousy sell-out stream of safe, friendly, watery pish (I'm sure you're familiar with people's concerns, so I assume that there's no need for me to go into it here)

Yeah, there are many, many reasons to be pessimistic about a Live Action Evangelion. To imply that anti-LAEM sentiment is little more than knee-jerk fanboy nerdiness seems a little unreasonable.

This.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:35 am

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:Yeah, there are many, many reasons to be pessimistic about a Live Action Evangelion. To imply that anti-LAEM sentiment is little more than knee-jerk fanboy nerdiness seems a little unreasonable.
THIS. I have the same problem with the Akira and GitS adaptions that keep being thrown around. I can't tell which one I'm more pessimistic about; Akira because there are just things that would look lame in live-action, or GitS because it's being headed by Spielberg. :cringe:
Gendo'sPapa wrote:A live action sci-fi epic INSPIRED by Evangelion? THAT I'd love to see. You can approach with a fresh mind. Treat it as a new creation.
This could be badass.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:06 pm

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:

Oh, please. The blanket statement "no-one has a problem with adaptations of novels" is a nonsense.

I never said there weren't people who hate novels being adapted to movies. What I really meant was "how come it's more acceptable for a novel to be adapted rather than a comic or manga/anime?"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:34 pm

backseatjesus wrote:I never said there weren't people who hate novels being adapted to movies. What I really meant was "how come it's more acceptable for a novel to be adapted rather than a comic or manga/anime?"

It might be because books and novels cover a larger field of interests than manga or anime. From the media of written literature, you have works composed that fit best in multiple treatments. Written literature ranges from children's books that tend to work better in animated form, Shakespearean stage plays that are now accepted as classic written literature, and novels that have proved successful in both cinemas and television.

Manga and anime have already been designed to fit in a very narrow category. The category of the graphic visual art. Everything from stories to designs were tailor made to work its best in a completely graphically visual media. The Japanese have utilized the media to such an extent that they are able to explore stories and situations that just seem silly in any other form of media. So when trying to take something built for a very narrow art form, like manga or anime, and try to apply it to an art form that isn't situated to exploit the quirks that a narrower field managed to pull off, you start to see problems.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:47 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
backseatjesus wrote:I never said there weren't people who hate novels being adapted to movies. What I really meant was "how come it's more acceptable for a novel to be adapted rather than a comic or manga/anime?"

It might be because books and novels cover a larger field of interests than manga or anime. From the media of written literature, you have works composed that fit best in multiple treatments. Written literature ranges from children's books that tend to work better in animated form, Shakespearean stage plays that are now accepted as classic written literature, and novels that have proved successful in both cinemas and television.

Manga and anime have already been designed to fit in a very narrow category. The category of the graphic visual art. Everything from stories to designs were tailor made to work its best in a completely graphically visual media. The Japanese have utilized the media to such an extent that they are able to explore stories and situations that just seem silly in any other form of media. So when trying to take something built for a very narrow art form, like manga or anime, and try to apply it to an art form that isn't situated to exploit the quirks that a narrower field managed to pull off, you start to see problems.

Yeah, but you can't apply that to ALL anime and manga. Some would work exceptionally well for live action with the right people and right amount of teamwork. A manga like Monster would work very well for live action.

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:56 pm

backseatjesus wrote:with the right people and right amount of teamwork

SaltyJoe wrote:So if it's good, then it will be good?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:15 pm

backseatjesus wrote: Some would work exceptionally well for live action with the right people and right amount of teamwork.
True. There are a few out there that would do well in live-action form. I don't know whether or not it would be necessary to adapt anime TV or films in particular, since it's already similar to live-action film as a visual media (yet still too different to depict some aspects of it), and would probably finish the story all on it's own without needing a live-action film crew. But some mangas could be fair, logistical game for live-action filmmakers. And if they've never been turned into TV or feature length anmie, then it would seem less monotonous to make a live-action film based off of a manga.

But the selections that would work, or that have not already been done by anime TV/film, would be so slim that it would seem ridiculous to create an entire company for the sole purpose of heading that up. Just leave it to knowledgeable, competent live-action filmmakers to do that when they're interested. If a company or studio forces it, then the results would be terrible.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:20 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:

It might be because books and novels cover a larger field of interests than manga or anime.

You fail logic forever. Why is that American Comics can be, and have been made into classic movies then? Just because the attempts at the first anime to live action ports failed doesn't mean they all will. Comic book movies suffered the same fate in fact, at first.

Also, your exposure to anime most be very low. Not everything is like Evangelion, a large chunk of it is like Monster or 21st Century boys.
I won.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:21 pm

I still stand my opinion that Dragonball Evolution only sucked because Stephen Chow didn't direct it. James Wong was admittedly a shit director.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:41 pm

backseatjesus wrote:I still stand my opinion that Dragonball Evolution only sucked because Stephen Chow didn't direct it. James Wong was admittedly a shit director.

It would have been a geinue comedy, I'll give you that. It would have proably been Dragon ball...if Goku was like 18 though....still
I won.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Themaninblack wrote:Why is that American Comics can be, and have been made into classic movies then? Just because the attempts at the first anime to live action ports failed doesn't mean they all will. Comic book movies suffered the same fate in fact, at first.

Also, your exposure to anime most be very low. Not everything is like Evangelion, a large chunk of it is like Monster or 21st Century boys.

I admit, my anime exposure is lower than some... many... most... and I've still got a little to learn. Ok, a lot to learn.

As for American comic books: Yes. They do fall under the same fate. Don't forget the disasters of Batman & Robin, Electra, Daredevil, most Superman sequel films, ect. Simply because they were made didn't make them good ideas. And if it was left up to one studio or company to decide what gets made (which was almost the case for Batman & Robin), we would see a lot more of these disasters.

Like I said,
FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Just leave it to knowledgeable, competent live-action filmmakers to do that when they're interested.
If those people do it when inspired, then it might turn out well. But I don't believe we need one company to dictate what gets made and who makes it. Just compare Christopher Nolan's wanting to make The Dark Knight vs. Warner brothers telling Joel Schumacher to make Batman & Robin. (Not even Schumacher liked that movie.)

Return to “Film and Video”