The "lol Twilight/Insane Twilight Fans" Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:46 am

Xard wrote:Men of intellect read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason,
Life is awfully long to spend it only reading one book... I think it's silly to pigeonhole intellectuals as people who read philosophy. There's surely just as many that read quantum physics or actually do go into artistic fields.

Xard wrote:men of aesthetes are actually out there creating aesthetic experiences. They don't fap forever about books, films, music or - worst of all - animus
aes⋅thete
–noun
1. a person who has or professes to have refined sensitivity toward the beauties of art or nature.
2. a person who affects great love of art, music, poetry, etc., and indifference to practical matters.

People who are out there creating an aesthetic experience are called "artists".

Xard wrote:all kinds of fans are in final analysis irrational because being fan of something means reaction/relationship to work is irrational
Fan was derived to be a less pejorative term of "fanatic" which, in fact, does mean: "a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal." I'd say a large portion of the "fans" around here are extremely critical. It's hard to do the analysis that's done without also being critical.

For me, there's fans, fanboys/fangirls, and fanatics and I'd say that each step takes you towards more 'dangerous' territories. Probably the only thing that separates fanboys/girls with fanatics is that the former's love and devotion are given to things that they really can't do any harm with. Fans tend to be more... passive in their interest. I'm a "fan" of several sports but I don't really care enough to devote a huge chunk of my life to them.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:55 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:Men of intellect read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason,
Life is awfully long to spend it only reading one book... I think it's silly to pigeonhole intellectuals as people who read philosophy. There's surely just as many that read quantum physics or actually do go into artistic fields.

It was just one example. ^_^

For the record I've never read CoPR...I should though. It's one of most central works of philosophy in all existence. And men of "pure intellect" tend to gravitate towards purely intellectual career paths.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:men of aesthetes are actually out there creating aesthetic experiences. They don't fap forever about books, films, music or - worst of all - animus
aes⋅thete
–noun
1. a person who has or professes to have refined sensitivity toward the beauties of art or nature.
2. a person who affects great love of art, music, poetry, etc., and indifference to practical matters.

People who are out there creating an aesthetic experience are called "artists".

shoo, I admit this case of snarky comeback fell a bit short :lol:

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:all kinds of fans are in final analysis irrational because being fan of something means reaction/relationship to work is irrational
Fan was derived to be a less pejorative term of "fanatic" which, in fact, does mean: "a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal." I'd say a large portion of the "fans" around here are extremely critical. It's hard to do the analysis that's done without also being critical.

Of course but this was my point. One can be critical and admire work somewhat "objectively" but one cannot stay entirely rational and objective and be fan of something, because being fan already implies to certain extent "uncritical" relationship to work.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:08 am

Xard wrote:One can be critical and admire work somewhat "objectively" but one cannot stay entirely rational and objective and be fan of something, because being fan already implies to certain extent "uncritical" relationship to work.

Hmmm... then maybe I'm not really a "fan" of Eva or any other work of fiction...

A premise: I do think Evangelion Fandom is borderline insane. A "bit" more so than most anime fandoms I've come across over the years.

I do think the attitude some fans might have displayed in looking down on other anime fans (much like the way "heretics" may look down on us all) is overall silly.

This said, while being a fan of Twilight's not wrong per se, making it into a religion and/or attacking actors asking them to drink your blood should speak for itself... It seems to me we all went :facepalm: when we heard about the Church of NERV - and that wasn't even a Cult of Evangelion, more like a Christian sect borrowing terms from Japanese anime. Making "Twilight" into a religious cult crosses a bit too far into fanatism territory for my liking. Then again, so does sending Anno Death Threats over D&R or vandalizing the GAINAX shop... :facepalm:

But I do love mocking the things I love. Parody is the sincerest form of flattery... ;) I actually enjoyed reading some snarky reviews of Evangelion that made fun of it in mean spirit. I can as well enjoy a parody of Twilight if someone makes it (even though I'm not a Twilight fan, TBH).

Darn, Shakespeare fans have it easy... :tongue:

@Mug: I listened to part of the first one and part of the second one, with your brothers in it. Your Bella voice kept getting better, IMO. Then again, realizing you were sitting on the throne while recording the first one did make the experience a tad surreal...
Last edited by LiLi on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:13 am

Xard wrote:And men of "pure intellect" tend to gravitate towards purely intellectual career paths.
What the hell is "pure" intellect and what would that make "tainted" intellect? But really intellect is just about the capacity for understanding and knowledge. What one chooses to understand and learn about will still probably be based on their natural predilections.

Xard wrote:I admit this case of snarky comeback fell a bit short :lol:
^_^

Xard wrote:One can be critical and admire work somewhat "objectively" but one cannot stay entirely rational and objective and be fan of something, because being fan already implies to certain extent "uncritical" relationship to work.
I would say everyone starts out being a "fan" of their favorite works and artists, but whether they make the leap from "fan" to "scholar" is up to them.

================================================

LiLi wrote:I do think Evangelion Fandom is borderline insane. A "bit" more so than most anime fandoms I've come across over the years.
What do you mean by insane?

LiLi wrote:Darn, Shakespeare fans have it easy...
Yeah; for them looking down on other people is just considered natural. :lol:
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm impressed by anyone who was able to sit through the first movie. Perhaps there ought to be a religion.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:54 pm

Best rant on Twilight ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8RuNPkK9s8

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 pm

honsou wrote:Best rant on Twilight ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8RuNPkK9s8

"First off, Vampires are not supposed to fucking sparkle!"

Favorite line of that video. That's an awsome rant.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:19 am

MugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:
MatrixRefugee wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:
MugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:To my complete amazement, so far is the book isn't terrible.

You are now dead to me.

Aw, come on, it's not like Mug's going "OMG!!~! SQUEE!!111 BEZT BUK EVAH!!11111"

I suppose I should have said it's 'not completely terrible'. It's by no stretch of the imagination good; so far it's nothing but Bella whining and making goo-goo eyes at Edward, but I sort of admire that. It doesn't make for an engaging or memorable experience, but as far as authenticity goes, I'm a little bit impressed. This is how High School girls act! It's doing something right! But that can only sustain a book for so long, and, like I said, once the 'relationship' actually starts and the vampires come out, I'm betting it will loose any redeeming value.

I will give SMeyers this: she came up with some interesting supporting characters and I like the back stories on the rest of the Cullen clan (ie. Jasper was turned during the Civil War, Alice was in a mental hospital in the 1920s because of her gift of precognition). Later on in New Moan -- err, New Moon, she brings in a council of vampires that reminded me a bit of the Camarilla in Vampire: the Masquerade. But she underused these so badly, it was as if she was trying to avoid developing them more. If they hadn't been upstaged so much by Dulla and Edweird, they could have lifted the book out of mediocrity and made them readable if not exactly the greatest books ever written.

And agreed: she got the thinking patterns and "voice" of your average high school girl down pat. I've said "Reading these books is like listening to teenaged cashiers in the store where I work, whining about everything." It didn't surprise me that Bella gets a job as a cashier in the second book.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Sammaeloo wrote:"First off, Vampires are not supposed to fucking sparkle!"

Favorite line of that video. That's an awesome rant.

That statement has lost a lot of value to me since people all over the internet constantly say it.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Return to “Film and Video”